• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

yoopoo

Banned
HA http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3165096

1up-60.gif

The biggest problem with UT3 is that it's still so&2004. Back then, before Quake Wars or Team Fortress 2, this was the go-to series for fast action, wild weapons, clever vehicles, online teamwork, and videocard-straining visuals. Unreal Tournament stood alone and triumphant, with Quake under its boot, Counter-Strike practically in a whole other genre, Joint Operations a dirty little secret, and Battlefield socked in by fog. But slick and stylish speed shooters aren't so scarce anymore. These days, UT feels relatively superficial, even when it tries new gimmicks like the mobile artillery from the bonus pack or the Necris Nightshade's deployable items. These are too little, too late, and too me-too.

The online support disappoints, with very little in the way of achievements or persistent stats. The friends list isn't very friendly, and the server browser might as well scream for you to get off its lawn. Setting up LAN games or bot skirmishes is frustrating, limited, and counterintuitive. Decking out your avatar with unlockable bits of clothing is so very EA. It's still a good game -- lovely, and a little tired. But these days, even a favorite old dog like UT needs to learn more than a few new tricks.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
The online support disappoints, with very little in the way of achievements or persistent stats. The friends list isn't very friendly, and the server browser might as well scream for you to get off its lawn. Setting up LAN games or bot skirmishes is frustrating, limited, and counterintuitive. Decking out your avatar with unlockable bits of clothing is so very EA. It's still a good game -- lovely, and a little tired. But these days, even a favorite old dog like UT needs to learn more than a few new tricks.

Oh no, no meaningless points for me to get! Anyway, the game does support stats not sure why there isn't an actual Epic site for it, you can check them here: http://www.enemydown.co.uk/ut3search.php .

As for bot skirmishes being limited, or frustrating, I just don't see what he is getting at.

Uncle AJ

I gots my keyboard and mouse.

Hey! I can actually use the Sniper Rifle now! And the Shock Rifle at long range! How novel! :p

Regarding the review: he does have a point about the lack of "achievements." Not the 360 variety, but just something to encourage players to keep going other than boosting their ranks on the leaderboards. I wouldn't mind some unlockable armor types or character skins.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Or you could just play because it's fun, and you shouldn't need to 'reward' people so they keep playing, they should want to play, not play because they want some achievement.

GameGamer

Ikuu said:
Or you could just play because it's fun, and you shouldn't need to 'reward' people so they keep playing, they should want to play, not play because they want some achievement.

Have you seen how CoD4 handles this?

But slick and stylish speed shooters aren't so scarce anymore.

Really? Sure there is a ton of shooters, but I can't say I've come across many that feel like Unreal Tournament.

tanod

when is my burrito
AltogetherAndrews said:

Really? Sure there is a ton of shooters, but I can't say I've come across many that feel like Unreal Tournament.

Traded COD4 in for this on PS3. The gameplay INSTANTLY clicked for me and the graphics are wowing me like COD4 didn't. Can't wait to dig into it more. I also love how they adapted the Resistance control scheme. Bravo EPIC. Bring on that mod support. :D:D:D

Reminds me of Quake 3. That's a really good thing. Just need to play with my sensitivity.

Safe Bet

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:

Let us count how many are on the PS3...

And now let us count how many offer user mods....

Safe Bet

Banned
forgeforsaken said:
I love that no matter where Tom writes a review for, it causes some degree of minor meltdown on GAF.
I've got no problems with tough reviews.

What I have a problem with is bringing in "heavy hitters" on some games but not others.

I very seriously doubt 1Up would have let a review this "tough" go to press for Halo 3, Bioshock, Crackdown, Oblivion, GRAW, Prey, etc...

Edit:

/Review Wars

I forgot I gave up on corporate review sites long ago...

Sorry...

The point about there being competition shooters is a bit moot when Quake Wars and TF2 are slow as molasses in comparison. ZzzzZZzz.

Oh it's Tom Chick.

*Kohan 2*

lexi

Banned
6.0 is probably an accurate score of a game that was released far too early, so I have no arguments with that.

But the PS3 version scoring 8.0, why hello thar controversy.

EGM92

Picked up the PS3 version, pretty fun. I connected my DiNovo to it and altered the control settings and man it's nice, it's not 60FPS nice but it's a rock solid / fluid 30FPS. So much hate for the Single Player in this thread, I for one am enjoying it.

Safe Bet

Banned
I love the tongue 'n cheek remarks in the single-player campaign concerning some of UT's more non-logical gameplay...

'It's not a flag! It's a respawner gizmondo fluxinator!"

"It looks like a flag. It waves like a flag..."

:lol

PS

I'd like to remind everyone that is completely dismissing UT3's sp campaign as "noting more than 'bot matches": All sp campaigns are 'bot matches.

Yes, all those grunts you killed in Halo were 'bots...

Shocking I know...

Ploid 3.0 said:
Oh wow, I can see it now.

The PC review 6.0
The PS3 review 8.0
The Xbox360 review 10!

They're setting it up! I'm messing around.

A six....really? I normally don't really care about review scores but I have to say, when EVERY other mainstay of the genre is abandoning the closer quarters fast action brand of first person shooter, is it really fair to fault the only major player thats sticking to what they're good at for doing just that? If you want a pure DM shooter this is the best one on the market. No contest. If you want to play a fast action CTF game, then you have quite a few options, but this one is relatively unique among current releases in the way it approaches it striking a middle ground between the closer quarters of TF2 and the sprawling open nature of battlefield. Sure it's not a big departure from previous entries in the series, but it's a big departure from other games that are being released right now.

Ploid 3.0

I like how they say UT is going all madden in minor updating the sequels but with years appart from releases. Yet Madden still recieve 9's and 10's. With UT3 I see a lot of different things. Sure the power ups are still there but what other fps are using powerups now? Timesplitter will but who knows how long it will be before that's out.

Cheeto

WHOAguitarninja said:
A six....really? I normally don't really care about review scores but I have to say, when EVERY other mainstay of the genre is abandoning the closer quarters fast action brand of first person shooter, is it really fair to fault the only major player thats sticking to what they're good at for doing just that? If you want a pure DM shooter this is the best one on the market. No contest. If you want to play a fast action CTF game, then you have quite a few options, but this one is relatively unique among current releases in the way it approaches it striking a middle ground between the closer quarters of TF2 and the sprawling open nature of battlefield. Sure it's not a big departure from previous entries in the series, but it's a big departure from other games that are being released right now.
I don't see the score as a problem, being that it could be considered above average with that score. Throwing out the 1-10 scale in favor for the 7-10 scale in the opposite review, is however again, retarded.

MoxManiac

UT3 is awesome, the console version of it is the the best console FPS experience i've ever had. Why? BECAUSE IT F*CKING SUPPORTS KEYBOARD/MOUSE.

I've already praised this ad-nausuem, I know.

I love Resistance and CoD4, but my enjoyment of them was limited by gimped gamepad controls. UT3 on the other hand, I felt right at home after I plugged in the FPS controls from god himself, aka kb+mouse.

Forsete

Ploid 3.0 said:

The PC review 6.0
The PS3 review 8.0
The Xbox360 review 10!

I heard there is a opening in MS PR, so probably.

Safe Bet

Banned
I'm really surprised how fun SP is.

I am playing on the Normal difficulty setting and honestly it's easy to lose yourself and forget you're fighting against AI not Humans.

The 'bots use better tactics and communication in CTF than most people online.

My publicly declared bias may be skewing my opinion a bit (disclaimer), but I like UT3 alot more than I thought I would.

BobTheFork said:
im getting on if anyone wants fight, invite bobthefork
I'M ON HIS SIDE!!!

:p

kitch9

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:

The PC review 6.0
The PS3 review 8.0
The Xbox360 review 10!

I'd give the PC version less than a 6. I've had it two weeks and I struggle to finish a match without the damn thing crashing.

Torlan will freeze for 10 seconds at a time, and by the time it restarts I've been royally fucked.

The sound will just randomly screech down my speakers too.

No sign of any real fixes from Epic, apart from the usual disable your sound/video card and try all 15 of the available beta drivers....

I love UT though so I've just ordered the PS3 version hoping to fucking actually get a game.

Safe Bet

Banned
kitch9 said:
I'd give the PC version less than a 6. I've had it two weeks and I struggle to finish a match without the damn thing crashing.
Yeah remeber 1Up coming down hard on 360 TF2 because it was basically unplayable at launch and how they slammed Gears of War for it's horrible online performance?

Oh...

Wait...

;)

kitch9

Banned
Safe Bet said:
Yeah remeber 1Up coming down hard on 360 TF2 because it was basically unplayable at launch and how they slammed Gears of War for it's horrible online performance?

Oh...

Wait...

;)
I've faith in Epic, and I know they'll sort it..... I'm just frustrated to hell with it at the minute.

I don't remember Gears being that bad, far from unplayable. I may have rose tinted glasses on though.....

Z_Y

Safe Bet said:
I love the tongue 'n cheek remarks in the single-player campaign concerning some of UT's more non-logical gameplay...

'It's not a flag! It's a respawner gizmondo fluxinator!"

"It looks like a flag. It waves like a flag..."

:lol

PS

I'd like to remind everyone that is completely dismissing UT3's sp campaign as "noting more than 'bot matches": All sp campaigns are 'bot matches.

Yes, all those grunts you killed in Halo were 'bots...
Shocking I know...

Yea...they are exactly the same. I don't think I can find a big enough rollseyes.gif to display here.

Anywho....really loving the game here. No multiplayer game out there can match it's diversity in game modes. You can go from small scale old school deathmatching to huge expansive environments in Vehicle CTF and Warfare. I love the sandstorm effect on Sandstorm. It really makes me panic when I'm trying to kill the flag stealer and the storm rolls in. :lol

Safe Bet

Banned
Z_Y said:
Yea...they are exactly the same. I don't think I can find a big enough rollseyes.gif to display here.
A dude with a Halo avatar takes my mention of Halo far beyond its intent.

How utterly fucking surprising...

Edit:

I'm about to jump on if anyone wants a game accept/send invite please.

tanod

when is my burrito
Safe Bet said:
A dude with a Halo avatar takes my mention of Halo far beyond its intent.

How utterly fucking surprising...

If you're going to ignore everybody who enjoys Halo, you'll be ignoring a third of the board. It's a popular series. It doesn't invalidate his opinion.

However, as throwaway as the SP story supposedly is in Unreal Tournament 3, it is indeed a lot of fun.

Safe Bet

Banned
tanod said:
If you're going to ignore everybody who enjoys Halo, you'll be ignoring a third of the board. It's a popular series. It doesn't invalidate his opinion.
It's not his opinion its his complete overreaction at the mere mention of Halo that puts him in the "zealot to be ignored" list imo.

Edit:

I am only trying to point out the 'bots in a MP "setting" are just as a beautiful creation as 'bots in a traditional single player setting.

Why praise the AI in some games yet not others because of a game's setting?

Makes no sense to me...

The 'bots in UT3 seemed more real to me and that is an accomplishment that should not be dismissed imo.

DeadGzuz

Banned
tanod said:

However, as throwaway as the SP story supposedly is, it is indeed a lot of fun.

Ya, I thought the same about Halo 3, oh wait, what were we talking about?

Safe Bet said:
It's not his opinion its his complete overreaction at the mere mention of Halo that puts him in the "zealot to be ignored" list imo.
I know there are issues at hand that might prevent you from understanding this, but what you said was retarded. You could have said that about ANY single player game, and still been just as retarded.

tanod

when is my burrito
DeadGzuz said:
Ya, I thought the same about Halo 3, oh wait, what were we talking about?

:lol Just reread my post. I was talking about Unreal Tournament 3 story.

*goes to edit old post*

andycapps

Anyone tried the SP on co-op? Is it as fun as Resistance? Thinking about renting this for me and a friend to play through. May buy it depending on how much Christmas money I get, there's too many good titles out now...

Safe Bet

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
I know there are issues at hand that might prevent you from understanding this, but what you said was retarded. You could have said that about ANY single player game, and still been just as retarded.
You claim what I said was retarded yet don't explain why...

Nice...

Edit:

Now normally this is where I would drop all pretense to civility and digress into profanities in response to your name calling but not being able to post just aint fucking worth it when the ignore button is so easy to use.

Top Bottom