• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

careful

Who's down for some PS3 action right now? I'm going in, PSN is 'stveland'. TDM or DM.
I'll try out mouse/controller for now, but I can switch to mouse-only too.

FabCam

careful said:
Who's down for some PS3 action right now? I'm going in, PSN is 'stveland'. TDM or DM.
I'll try out mouse/controller for now, but I can switch to mouse-only too.

I'll join you in 10 mins. FabCam be my name. Add me.

Why are all the midway severs TDM points to win set to 40 now? It was 60, and even that was way too little with even a half filled room. It should have been increased. I'm having some matches that last about 45 seconds. So fucking stupid.

lupinko

Anyone know what are the requirements for running UnrealEditor? I want to get the PC version to make some mods for the PS3 game. I haven't updated my rig in a long time, since the only game I used to play on PC for the longest time was WoW, and my computer ran it fine (gogogogo Blizzard).

The requirements for the editor are pretty much the same for the game. It's rendering maps and shit you're editing as you're doing so, and you also have to do some things like calculating lighting and shit that can take a LONG time, especially on complex maps.

There are options to keep things either completely material-less while you're working, blah blah, but at some point you're gonna have to turn that shit on to work with it.

They've really killed TDM between lowering the kill count and the fact that midway servers allow 16 people on every map. Midway servers are, 90% of the time, the only ones that allow kb+m.

CTF here I come, permanently.

Also, GAF people, stop going to controller only rooms :/

careful

Seriously, the best TDM games I played were first to 99 kills. It gives you a bit more time to get into a groove and some of the end games where pretty intense.

careful

careful said:
Seriously, the best TDM games I played were first to 99 kills. It gives you a bit more time to get into a groove and some of the end games where pretty intense.
Actually, I retract that. Yesterday, I played in a 60 minutes no kill limit game on Deck. That was pretty hardcore, I ended up with something like 130 kills.

I forgot to bump the thread for a heads up, but I was running a 'NeoGAF' server for a little while. Pure DM, 8 players, mouse+kb, all original maps. Played some tight games. I'm still waiting on the mod maps idea to come through..

One last thing, anybody playing with a mouse experience the weird glitch where the weapons automatically switch for no reason? I don't get that bug playing strictly controller, but when I use controller for movement and mouse for aiming it will randomly switch my weapon. Really annoying. I haven't tried pure keyboard+mouse though.

MoxManiac

As much as I enjoy UT3 (PS3), i'm starting to regret my purchase due to some of the...community issues. Mainly the lack of kb/mouse servers. I refuse to play the game with a gamepad, the kb/mouse support was the whole reason I bought the damn game in the first place. To be honest, I didn't see that many gamepad only servers either, as I just checked which is making me have concerns about the game's longevity.. I haven't encountered any freezes though, thankfully.

KZObsessed

I just picked this game up for PS3 and am going to check out UT3mod.com 2moro. (That's the official site where all the UT3 maps/mods are hosted correct?)

Anyway I live in the UK and imported the US version, and Im experiencing some significant lag online. To the point where it's unplayable. What happens is, you fire your weapon, it recoils, you hear the sound of the projectile then about 0.5 to 1 second after this, the projectile is fired. This happens with every weapon in every game I tried, obviously this completely ruins your timing.

My connection isn't the best, but Cod4 and other imported third party games are fine online. Is anyone else who imported the game having the same issue, or is it just my connection? I guess I'll try and upgrade if it is.

Apart from that tho, the game is a lot of fun so far, even just with bots.

Havoc

Banned
I finally gave CoD4 a rest and downloaded some mods for this... game is awesome. The online needs work, I keep getting logged out.

mr stroke

I think I am abandoning ship on this one, I am done with-Freezes,fucked up Voice Chat that NO ONE USES, hard to find servers with kb/m, and just a lack of a really solid online comunity..Epic should have waited until Jan/Feb and fixed the online problems. :(

So I guess I will have to wait for 360 version or maybe UT3 2k8 on PC??
sad as this was my most hyped game of last year

careful

mr stroke said:
I think I am abandoning ship on this one, I am done with-Freezes,fucked up Voice Chat that NO ONE USES, hard to find servers with kb/m, and just a lack of a really solid online comunity..Epic should have waited until Jan/Feb and fixed the online problems. :(

So I guess I will have to wait for 360 version or maybe UT3 2k8 on PC??
sad as this was my most hyped game of last year
Don't give up just yet! If no one is gonna do anything about the community aspect, we have to take initiative ourselves! Let's organize some GAF UT3 games or something. Is anyone willing to run a dedicated server?

DeadGzuz

Banned
I can run one since I can't play until late anyhow.

Server Name: GAF 1
Password: gaf

It's just team deathmatch, let me know if I should change it.

careful

DeadGzuz said:
I can run one since I can't play until late anyhow. What settings and what name?
Can't play tonight.. Working early tomorrow. :(
But maybe you'll have a few ppl join in. I mostly play either DM or TDM, but I'd be willing to go for some CTF / VCTF also.

Pachimari

If the servers are worldwide or if europeans can play with americans, then there should come some more players as the game release here at february 22nd.

regs

upgraded my pc from a amd 64 3500 with 1 gig of ram to a athlon x2 6000 with 2 gigs ddr2, still the same 7950gt but now this game runs great maxed.

A shame though as, no one really plays it, the whole online setup for this on pc isn't to my tastes at all, It's a fun game but it's missing something, I think putting consoles with the PC and the whole unified system really turned a lot of people away or something. I don't like the feel, I still load up ut99 but it doesn't feel the same, I dont know how to describe it.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Does anyone know if there's an effort to get a bombing run mod up and running for UT3? I was going to pick this up and was surprised to see this mode isn't included out of the box.

Mau ®

Im thinking of getting this for PS3.

I just worry that, because of the lackluster sales, there will be not enough people playing online.

DeadGzuz

Banned
New IGN AU review:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/853/853568p2.html

While UT III doesn’t reinvent the wheel, it’s a fantastically entertaining game nonetheless, and well worth a look for veterans and newbies alike. Its larger than life sci-fi world and speedy, explosive gameplay really work on console and the whole thing runs like a dream. A great PS3 port, and a ready demonstration of what the system can do in the right hands.

9.0/10

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
inthezone said:

I just worry that, because of the lackluster sales, there will be not enough people playing online.

There's generally a good amount on all the time. Anyone know if the servers are global or region restricted?

I just got a new PC, so I downloaded the (beta?) demo, quite enjoyed it, and ordered the game for 30 on that GoGamer sale. I guess I haven't played enough of the other UT's enough in recent times to feel more than an enjoyable sense of familiarity, versus noticing the problems compared to older versions. I'm looking forward to giving it a go with the bots at least, the demo looked and ran great.

Releasing tomorrow in Europe, got mine in the post this morning

Only had time for one game, but so far so good. Nice to have the option of bots.

Wollan

They're sneaking it out in EU as well? Knew it was this month sometime but pretty much forgotten about it with no reminders in sight.

Norml

This Lego map is pretty fun.

File Size: 7.62 mb
Description: This great map is almost totally destructible. It is a blast to play and looks good too. It is fun to see map makers using the tools to the fullest and I am sure it is only going to get better.
LordSimeon writes, "This one is more of a test at playing around with the new Physics options, so almost the whole map is destructible. There's 20 or so various types of LEGO blocks built into houses, walls and shapes. By the end of the match, it's mayhem. There's a lot I could have done, but it is mainly a physics test."
2qdu70h.jpg

http://www.ut3mod.com/2008/02/deathmatch-map-lego.html

FabCam

Apparently there's no cross region play, as in I can't play with my friends who got the EU version. Please debunk this crap. If not, FIX IT EPIC! I want to play with my friends.

JimiNutz

Banned
Just picked this up for the PS3. Feels a little slower than previous UT games. What sensitivity settings do you guys use for your controllers?

The Lego map on the PS3 can crash if you have too many playing (bots etc). Best kept to around 6 players.
My controller settings are 7 sensitivity and 8 speed up, I think. Comfortable with that.
I've had some problems with lag but usually okay, even with 16 player Vehicle CTF. I think it's luck (good or bad) with the quality of the online play.
Anyway, PSN - Slackbladder, EU.

mandiller

Patch 1.2 is now out for the PC version! Hurray. new 64 player cap, GUI additions and bot tweaks are the main additions.

V1.2

Gameplay:

- Increased UTGame MaxPlayersAllowed to 64.
- Fixed leviathan turret instant refire exploit.
- Fixed errant lock on warnings when no longer in vehicle.
- Fixed first person weapons in demo playback.
- Fixed translocator telefrag victim message.
- Fixed encouragement sounds not being randomly picked by bots.
- Implemented viewobjective spectating system for Warfare.
- Fixed berserk held by driver applying to all vehicle turrets.
- Only force low gore on German versions that were low gore only before being patched.
- Fix for unnecessary content staying in memory on seamless travel.
- Fixed shaped charge node exploit.
- Fixed the Scavenger exploit.

User Interface:

- Clicking on the settings tab goes to directly to the full settings menu.
- Added VOIP speaker portraits to HUD.
- Fixed character portraits sometimes not showing up on HUD or not staying up long enough.
- The Host server menus will no longer disable internet options if CheckNatTypeDisplayError returns true. It's just a warning now.
- Fixed the CD key always prompting when the user has no network card
- Added support for commandline log in -login=xxx -password=xxx. This also allows Gamespy comrade and other external applications to be used to launch network clients.
- Added UI option to hide objective paths (the white arrows).
- Added UI option to enable joystick support.
- Added JOIN to midgame menu when spectating.
- Added cancel button to "logging in" message box.
- Added support for auto-updating UI with new options.
- Improved language support for French, Spanish, Italian, and German.
- Joystick key bindings in UI display properly.
- Added game and UI support for customizing crosshair scaling.
- Added "Add Favorite" button to Server Browser server list tab.
- Fixed favorites Tab Page server details not updating.
- Improvements to voice menu. Added "status" section.
- Leave "Disconnect" and "Exit Game" on the mid game menu when seamlessly travelling so that players have a way to abort lengthy downloads
- Show "Change Team" button before the match has started.
- Added support for localized "single score needed" string.
- Tweaked some HUD message font sizes.
- Favorites/History lists list servers that are currently offline.
- Favorites/History lists don't stop working as the number of servers in them crosses max threshold for GS query.
- Fix for end of round scoreboard displaying extra "Player" bots.
- Fixed leviathan deploy icon positioning.

Networking:

- Added support for autodownloading packages while in gameplay or while travelling.
- Auto team re-balancing before map transition if bPlayersBalanceTeams is set.
- Fixed dedicated server memory leaks.
- Force client state synchronization when in spectating state. Fixes sporadic issues with players not being able to join games.
- Fixed sounds not being heard correctly by clients if the sound location is the Actor's location and the Actor is not relevant to that client.
- Fixed spectators being unable to move after a level transition.
- Fixed track turrets being in the wrong position on clients in some cases after being destroyed.
- ConnectionTimeout and InitialConnectTimeOut now both 60.0. Addresses both clients failing connection because they take too long to load a level, and initial connections staying open too long.
- Fixed HTTP download compression.
- Fixed a bug where download during seamless travel would break because the downloader was keeping a pointer into the package map's list, which is unsafe while the game is in progress because that list could have more items added to it (and thus the memory rearranged) at any time
- Fixed a bug where in rare cases packages would get downloaded twice.
- Fixed spectators able to enter as extra players in Duel.
- Fixed issue where CTF, vCTF, and WAR maps are listed in the server browers when searching for a DM game when server changed gametypes.
- Fixed bots not replicating their view pitch, so their animation looks better in net games.
- Strip OwningPlayerName= from the URL, as this is determined elsewhere and was breaking dedicated internet servers launched from the UI.
- Fixed package downloading not moving on to the next download method if it successfully downloads the file, but that file is not the version that the server is requesting.
- Fixed client crash if the user disconnects while downloading a file during a seamless travel.

Server administration:

- TCPLink and Webadmin functionality implemented.
- Banning is now based on CD key hash, so players can’t circumvent bans by creating a new profile.
- Fixed being unable to kickban players with | in their names.
- Added versioning information to the game settings
- Dedicated servers don't require DirectX shader model 2.0
- Fixed AdminForceTextMute and AdminForceTextUnmute.
- Restored the compress and decompress commandlets.
- Fixed AdminCmdOk() function not working properly if you were the listen server.
- Banned IDs readability improved.
- Added MaxClientTravelTime config option to GameInfo. If set, clients are kicked if they take longer than this many seconds to travel between maps.

Mod support:

- Added ScriptedTexture, a type of render to texture that gives Canvas access to script/C++ for rendering custom overlays.
- Added a version of DrawTile() to Canvas that takes a Texture instead of Texture2D so render to texture stuff like ScriptedTextures can more easily be used.
- Added Timestamp function to UObject, returns a string in the format YYYY/MM/DD - HH:MM:SS
- Weapons now take roll from player viewrotation.
- Fixed custom character DLC not applying until the next time the game is run because the default object was not updated after combining the .ini files.
- Added a ModFamilies array to UTCustomChar_Data to allow mod authors to add families to the list.
- Fixed Change Node Status Kismet action not working on fully constructed powernodes.
- Merged ageia particle fixes.

Map specific:

- Fixed DM-Deck get out of world exploit
- Fixed DM-Gateway portals sometimes sending you back to your starting point.
- Fixed CTF-Coret collision exploit.
- Fixed kismet spawned key vehicles not showing on host minimap. Fixes tank showing on host minimap in VCTF-Kargo.

AI improvements:

- New orb carrier strategy AI.
- Improved bot hoverboard use.
- Reduced bot orb spawner camping.
- Fixed bots stuck on orb spawner unable to grab flag.
- Low skill bots use artillery properly.
- Tweaked shooting at nodes vs shooting at enemies.
- No human bonus to threat value.
- Improved threat picking AI, taking into account effectiveness of bot's weapon.
- Tweaked bot AI for link gun, flak cannon, redeemer, and AVRiL.
- Bots tend to stay on same enemy more, and focus on key vehicles more.
- Tweaked campaign auto skill adjust.
- Possible safe fix for bot navigation issues with staticmeshcollections on console. Also a performance improvement on PC and console.
- Tweaked rules for whether to attack node or enemy first.
- Improved bot AI for defending nodes with an orb.
- Fixed pathing issues that were causing bots to get stuck in some places. When a move fails, force a route refresh. Add cost to reachspecs when bot fails repeatedly.
- Improved AI code for adjusting around obstacles. If adjust left and right fail, try moving to center of reachspec.
- If previous move failed, don't allow "advanced tactics" (serpentine, etc.) for next move.
- Added FailedMoveTarget and MoveFailureCount to controller to track movement failures.
- Added bForceNoDetours to UTBot. Don't allow detours when bot is approaching a neutral node (more important to touch node first).
- Fixed bots thinking they've reach the orb spawner without quite getting there and touching the orb.
- Fixed cases where bots could get stuck failing to translocate over and over - bots know to give up now.
- Adjusted bot reaction time to seeing new enemies.
- Improved bot AI for dealing with lifts and hoverboards.
- Bots taunt after winning a match.
- Bots now can be fooled by feign death.
- Sandstorm has more impact on bots being able to acquire/aim at enemies.

List of mirrors

inthezone said:

and lack of properly working voice chat? Cause thats the reason why I sold off my copy.

kitch9

Banned
I've got a wierd bug with the PS3 version. When I cook a custom character, save it and restart the game it tells me that I'm not connected to PSN and then disables all the on-line menus.

I can't play on-line with a custom character in other words and I have to delete my save data and use the default to get on-line again.

Its pissing me off cos my guy looked mean.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
So there's a rumor going on that the new patch will include splitscreen for PS3. Really hope it's true. Oh, and mods are awesome! :D

tha_con

Banned
The only thing the PS3 version needs patched is VOICE CHAT. Even Puzzle Fighter got patched with voice chat for god sakes!!

kitch9

Banned
Hmmm. I've just installed the 1.2 patch on the PC and the UI screens will momentarily flash for a millisecond every 20-30 secs or so. I can navigate them as normal and the game does not crash, its annoying more than anything else.

Anybody else getting this?

Just got the game for the PS3, imported it from the US, I'm having a "Package "Core" not downloadable" when joining most of the servers, does anyone know if there's a fix to it? I heard it has something to do with importers trying to play on EU servers, do you know if it'll work if I play under a US PSN account?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I thought that just means they're playing with a map that you don't have? If they're using a mutator that you don't have it will just quickly download it and install it for you, but not with custom maps.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Just got the game for the PS3, imported it from the US, I'm having a "Package "Core" not downloadable" when joining most of the servers, does anyone know if there's a fix to it? I heard it has something to do with importers trying to play on EU servers, do you know if it'll work if I play under a US PSN account?

I think it means you are trying to connect to a server in the wrong region, I get it in the US with my US version. I think they are going to fix this soon.

Top Bottom