• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

careful

I always kinda neglect the Biorifle, but I was checking out Beren's stats and he's got over a thousand kills with that bad boy!

So how do you guys prefer to use it?
The alt-fire seems killer, but it takes a while to charge up and aiming is not trivial.
Short/medium range, primary fire seems a bit sketchy going against most weapons other than maybe Enforcer or Sniper. I'm thinking of probably only using it to blanket a hot spot ground and then try to shoot it to explode.

Crayon

Something must be done to organize the use of custom maps. In fact, to pull together the community in general...

Beren is my PSN tag.

As far as the Biorifle is concerned (and yes, it is my favorite weapon)... you should ONLY ever fire the alt-fire. Unless maybe you KNOW someone is nearly dead. I don't find aiming it very difficult at all, I'm actually pretty good with it. It also does seem to have slight auto-aim at times if you can get it close enough to someone.

It is much easier to use with a mouse, for one basic reason: the mouse wheel. Basically, once you start charging and holding down alt-fire on the mouse, you can use the scroll wheel to switch to another weapon, and it will sit on that weapon while you have the alt-fire charge out. So, when you release the alt-fire, the game will automatically switch to the pre-designated weapon faster than is possible manually waiting for the shot to go off. This helps immensely when you miss or there are multiple opponents. Of course, it's best not to miss in the first place. It's also, naturally, easier to aim with a mouse. You just have to get a good feeling for how people are moving then nail them. Also great for when people run into tunnels and such where the exit is exposed... you don't have to chase them in, you just wait a second or two and throw the alt-charge at the exit and it will stick them or they'll run over it (ditto Rocket Grenades/Shock Combo/FlakAlternate -- but Biorifle is most fun by far).

Also, you get lots of kills after you die with the Biorifle. The alt-charge goes off when you die and if someone is in front of you they're screwed. Also, even if it doesn't hit anyone, it lands on the ground/wall somewhere and people run over them all the time.

I generally cackle to myself after I melt someone in style. This ends up hurting me a bit, on some maps, when I insist on using it even when it isn't an ideal choice (maps with lots of long, open areas where you can't get very close... though my long range aim is getting better too). I can't remember the last time I didn't get a "Biohazard" reward on the Biohazard level :lol

Dual Enforcers are my favorite backup, but hard to come by on most levels (Biohazard is an exception). Link Gun also is marvellous. The only gun I really don't like to EVER have in any situation is the Rocket Launcher. I suck with it. I also have this uncanny ability to dodge into rockets I plainly see coming, while being able to dodge most other fire without a problem :/ It's pretty much the only weapon that I've got a negative K/D with, and I'll never dig myself out of that hole. I think Sniper/Shock Rifle are SLIGHTLY negative, but that's because I rarely use them (starting to use the sniper more on certain CTF maps), but my headshot/combo percentage is way higher than my deaths by the same.

I'm also a bit of a turret/Darkwalker whore. I really don't like Deimos unless I can control the Rail Turret. Even though I really like the Darkwalker... I think it should be removed from Heat Ray... it's really not fair AT ALL. Unless there is an immediate coordinated effort by the opposing team to take it out... it's game over and a guaranteed Unstoppable or better.

in all honesty its what makes heatray special. w/o darkwalker it would be just another map. i do like the biorifles idea of being left behind tho. i cant wait for the mics to start working, this game would be even better; if thats possible with them on. hopefully they make them open mic. add me: tailgunnerkeeney. i need the friends, and have a mic so in the future we can maybe make a clan? ps is it possible to get clan support with a patch and does the pc version have clan support?

careful said:
I always kinda neglect the Biorifle, but I was checking out Beren's stats and he's got over a thousand kills with that bad boy!

So how do you guys prefer to use it?
The alt-fire seems killer, but it takes a while to charge up and aiming is not trivial.
Short/medium range, primary fire seems a bit sketchy going against most weapons other than maybe Enforcer or Sniper. I'm thinking of probably only using it to blanket a hot spot ground and then try to shoot it to explode.

In past UTs it has always been used as a "sure thing kill" with alt-fire, just run around with that baby charged up at all times and switch to another weapon when you've used it, avoid the primary fire.

kitch9

Banned
Nightz said:
Has there been any word from Epic about the chat issue yet? I know they said they were looking into it, but have they given any more info? I actually sold my copy of UT3 because I couldn't really communicate with my friends. The mods are making me want to get the game again, but until the chat is fixed I think I'll hold out.

Epic seem to have problems with the chat completely. It took them ages to figure Gears of Wars chat problems out. I was joining games for months and nobody could hear me.

theBishop

Banned
Has anyone tried making levels with UnrealED?

I'm having a little trouble navigating the software. It looks like 3d modelling software (i know my way around Blender), but it doesn't behave like it.

Firewire

Banned
lupinko said:
Does UnrealEditor let you port over UT2k3/4 mods?

Don't really know.

Some of the older UT mod maps have made it to the PS3, but I don't know if they were re-created from scratch or ported over using the editor.

careful

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Beren is my PSN tag.

As far as the Biorifle is concerned (and yes, it is my favorite weapon)... you should ONLY ever fire the alt-fire. Unless maybe you KNOW someone is nearly dead. I don't find aiming it very difficult at all, I'm actually pretty good with it. It also does seem to have slight auto-aim at times if you can get it close enough to someone.

It is much easier to use with a mouse, for one basic reason: the mouse wheel. Basically, once you start charging and holding down alt-fire on the mouse, you can use the scroll wheel to switch to another weapon, and it will sit on that weapon while you have the alt-fire charge out. So, when you release the alt-fire, the game will automatically switch to the pre-designated weapon faster than is possible manually waiting for the shot to go off. This helps immensely when you miss or there are multiple opponents. Of course, it's best not to miss in the first place. It's also, naturally, easier to aim with a mouse. You just have to get a good feeling for how people are moving then nail them. Also great for when people run into tunnels and such where the exit is exposed... you don't have to chase them in, you just wait a second or two and throw the alt-charge at the exit and it will stick them or they'll run over it (ditto Rocket Grenades/Shock Combo/FlakAlternate -- but Biorifle is most fun by far).

Also, you get lots of kills after you die with the Biorifle. The alt-charge goes off when you die and if someone is in front of you they're screwed. Also, even if it doesn't hit anyone, it lands on the ground/wall somewhere and people run over them all the time.

I generally cackle to myself after I melt someone in style. This ends up hurting me a bit, on some maps, when I insist on using it even when it isn't an ideal choice (maps with lots of long, open areas where you can't get very close... though my long range aim is getting better too). I can't remember the last time I didn't get a "Biohazard" reward on the Biohazard level :lol

Dual Enforcers are my favorite backup, but hard to come by on most levels (Biohazard is an exception). Link Gun also is marvellous. The only gun I really don't like to EVER have in any situation is the Rocket Launcher. I suck with it. I also have this uncanny ability to dodge into rockets I plainly see coming, while being able to dodge most other fire without a problem :/ It's pretty much the only weapon that I've got a negative K/D with, and I'll never dig myself out of that hole. I think Sniper/Shock Rifle are SLIGHTLY negative, but that's because I rarely use them (starting to use the sniper more on certain CTF maps), but my headshot/combo percentage is way higher than my deaths by the same.

I'm also a bit of a turret/Darkwalker whore. I really don't like Deimos unless I can control the Rail Turret. Even though I really like the Darkwalker... I think it should be removed from Heat Ray... it's really not fair AT ALL. Unless there is an immediate coordinated effort by the opposing team to take it out... it's game over and a guaranteed Unstoppable or better.

Thanks for the advice! I tried out some of the stuff today and I must admit "melting" someone with the alt-fire is pretty damn satisfying lol (and shock combo too). What I did was just run around with my alt-fire charged up with link gun / rocket launcher as backup. 'Unloaded' whenever I came close enough to someone and then finished them off if I had to. :D

Aiming is getting better, but you're right, I should probably go back to mouse aiming. I made the switch to controller earlier to practice my analog aiming skills and it felt good enough that I didn't feel like going back to the mouse right away. :D
The weapon switch trick is pretty nifty too, never would've figured that one out on my own.
However, my alt-charge didn't really seem to go off when I died. Does it go off only if someone is directly in contact in front of you?

Dual enforcers are the shit (on the rare occasion you can pick them up). My main weapons are rocket launcher and link gun. I've gotten pretty decent at anticipating movement with the launcher and I try to aim at the ground or walls otherwise. The really good players will easily dodge my shots though. I never use the alt-fire much, takes too long to charge up and you don't gain much with 3 rockets. Link gun primary fire, I find is the best for one-on-one. High fire-rate and good damage. Flak is also pretty good 1-on-1.

Also wanted to ask if you guys have a trick for wall dodging? I can never pull it off.

lupinko

Anyone know what the requirements are for running Unreal Editor itself? I'm planning on getting the PC version now just for it, I know I can't run the game on any good setting on my PC, but at least I know I can come up with stuff for my PS3 version.

Hey GAF, just got UT III for ps3, and so far am having fun with the single player campaign. Maybe one day I will overcome my current fear of online competition (deathmatch is fine, not so much the team aspect) and play some 'Warfare' (right? not Onsnlaught any longer?).

What is the status of the DS3 working with UT?

DeadGzuz

Banned
stephendedalus said:
What is the status of the DS3 working with UT?

Rumble works great.

I finally got around to paying the campaign with my RL friend and co-op partner. Joining the game was cake and he got all my mutators upon joining me. Can you use them with the campaign? Anyhow we had great fun, we had the other two team members being played by a humans most of the time.

I have yet to even play against any humans online and I feel like I'm getting my moneys worth, great game.

ATF487

I still can't play an online game on my normal PSN tag (atf487) for more than 10 minutes without being dropped. Oddly enough, I made a second account (atf360) and have had no problems. Maybe it doesn't like how my PSN account is US based, but my PS3 is japanese?

Either way, it's shit. Patch it, epic.

yeah a patch is in order. im gonna get another copy of cod4 so i can play with my bro. sorry ut3, but im not picking you up till i see working mics, and clan support. REAL clan support, with clan tags.

lupinko

Does gaf still get together for this game? I dunno, but whenever I go online (really late on weekdays, like around 11pm-3am) I hardly see anyone playing. Is it because I'm playing at the wrong times?

I play at those times because of work. =/

nofi

DeadGzuz said:
I have yet to even play against any humans online and I feel like I'm getting my moneys worth, great game.

Me too. Been working through the campaign and playing quick games against bots, with all the various mutators and extra maps. The Action Cam and Slow Kill is a great combo.

careful

nofi said:
Me too. Been working through the campaign and playing quick games against bots, with all the various mutators and extra maps. The Action Cam and Slow Kill is a great combo.
Did you try the other third person mutator (MK3rdPersonMutator)? I find it's even better than the Action Cam.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Holy shit, I just beat the game.
Can't wait for UT4. Malcolms gonna die!

RoH

careful said:
Did you try the other third person mutator (MK3rdPersonMutator)? I find it's even better than the Action Cam.

Using that mod as apposed to the action cam makes it harder to aim at targets that get close to you because the camera is higher up then the action cam. Also the hit box on MK3rdPersonMutator is off, you can get hit even when you seem to be behind a wall. IMHO the moder who made the 3rdperson cam just needs to fix the invisibility glitch and it will be perfect.

Aeon712

Seiken said:
Holy shit, I just beat the game.
Can't wait for UT4. Malcolms gonna die!
I really need to beat the game, every time I pop it in intending to play single player I somehow end up in multi :(.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Try the jet pack mutator, pretty fun stuff.

I have some quick questions:

1. What is that colored arc the bots use when you take a node in Warfare mode? I typically just run through a neutral node, but they seem to be accelerating the shield building, how do you do that?

2. I think the hover-boards can attach to the back of vehicles like a tether, how?

Finguo

Whoa, just found this very over-the-top UT3 themed PC casemod on pcgameshardware.de. Some guy put in over a year of work into this, it´s made for a casemod competition by the mentioned German PC mag.

3D model
1201091009465.jpg

The real thing
1201091054310.jpg

1201091036041.jpg

1201091017209.jpg

1201091021764.jpg

1201091025259.jpg

More photos are here: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?menu=browser&article_id=629360&image_id=763860

Admittedly, this thing looks ugly as hell from an artistic viewpoint (IMO) but you can´t deny the amazing effort this guy has put into this. That´s some real commitment there.

LiveWire

A friend of mine told me that the PS3 version is capped at 30FPS. Is this true? I want to get the PS3 version since it seems that everyone is playing it there, but I'm getting a new gaming PC as well....

Firewire

Banned
LiveWire said:
A friend of mine told me that the PS3 version is capped at 30FPS. Is this true? I want to get the PS3 version since it seems that everyone is playing it there, but I'm getting a new gaming PC as well....

Yes console versions are 30FPS, PC is running 60FPS.

"1. What is that colored arc the bots use when you take a node in Warfare mode? I typically just run through a neutral node, but they seem to be accelerating the shield building, how do you do that?

2. I think the hover-boards can attach to the back of vehicles like a tether, how?"

1. Link Gun secondary

2. Fire.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"1. What is that colored arc the bots use when you take a node in Warfare mode? I typically just run through a neutral node, but they seem to be accelerating the shield building, how do you do that?

2. I think the hover-boards can attach to the back of vehicles like a tether, how?"

1. Link Gun secondary

2. Fire.

So after you make a node neatral, you can use the link gun's secondary to rebuild it faster for your team? Thanks.

RoH

What do you guys think about this idea...
Create a casual GAF UT3 clan for Map Mods EG. A list of clan member to be added to you UT3 or XMB friends list for easier Mod server location and a list of final Map mods that every one should have, we can vote a Mod Map on or off the GAF approved list. I will set an arbitrary number which is 12, for the total amount of approved mods that can be on the list at any one time. This way new people do not have to download 30 odd maps. Using this method I feel we can take advantage of MODS for all game types and hopefully most of the people who join will not be kicked if a Mod Map is selected in the Map/Play list rotation. Maybe we can also use some sort of standardized naming scheme for player hosted server, like NeoGAF:"GAME TYPE":"REGION":"SERVER NUMBER" - with out quotes. Right now I use NeoGAF: DE:NE:01 (Standardized naming was used for the War hawk servers and I think it worked well for UT3).

By the way Crayon,
I saw your post on the other forum and it kind of inspired me to suggest this.

Well Yeah... whats the point of doing the "GAME TYPE"??? there is no point, each game segregated by the game spy filter. so its now NeoGAF:""REGION":"SERVER NUMBER"

I'm honestly getting severely annoyed by most of the morons who play this on PS3, though I suppose that isn't unexpected.

1) Almost universally, they're so bad I'd have more fun playing bots on adept

2) 99.9999% of them do nothing but spam rockets into thin air the entire match

3) They all want to play the same 2 maps EVERY TIME

careful

RoH said:
What do you guys think about this idea...
Create a casual GAF UT3 clan for Map Mods EG. A list of clan member to be added to you UT3 or XMB friends list for easier Mod server location and a list of final Map mods that every one should have, we can vote a Mod Map on or off the GAF approved list. I will set an arbitrary number which is 12, for the total amount of approved mods that can be on the list at any one time. This way new people do not have to download 30 odd maps. Using this method I feel we can take advantage of MODS for all game types and hopefully most of the people who join will not be kicked if a Mod Map is selected in the Map/Play list rotation. Maybe we can also use some sort of standardized naming scheme for player hosted server, like NeoGAF:"GAME TYPE":"REGION":"SERVER NUMBER" - with out quotes. Right now I use NeoGAF: DE:NE:01 (Standardized naming was used for the War hawk servers and I think it worked well for UT3).

By the way Crayon,
I saw your post on the other forum and it kind of inspired me to suggest this.

Well Yeah... whats the point of doing the "GAME TYPE"??? there is no point, each game segregated by the game spy filter. so its now NeoGAF:""REGION":"SERVER NUMBER"
Good initiative. I agree the mods on PS3 are getting a bit chaotic. I would definitely be up for this idea. (as long as one of the Q3DM17 maps make the rotation ;)

I'm honestly getting severely annoyed by most of the morons who play this on PS3, though I suppose that isn't unexpected.

lol

1) I still enjoy online. I guess I'm not as dominating yet.. ;)
Maybe it gets boring without any challenge. hehe

2) Haven't seen this too often.

3) This is true. I guess this is the reason why I'm only really good at a few maps (Defiance, Shangri La, Rising Sun, Heat Ray), those are the ones being played the most. I don't usually vote, just let ppl decide and play whichever map.

In terms of popularity, I would rank the maps like this (based on my experience):

Most popular:
Rising Sun
Heat Ray
Shangri La
Deimos (I still suck at it lol)
Defiance
Deck

Next:
Map with robots on assembly line and link gun outside (forgot the name)
Gateway
Fearless
Small map with the Biorifle (forgot the name)
Map where you crouch to get under certain pipes (forgot the name)

Nothing else comes to mind for now.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam

I felt the same with Resistance when it came out. Then after a couple of months, I was getting owned by just about everyone online :(

RoH

Metalmurphy said:
Apparently there is a bug that makes the head invisible when cooking custom models for the PS3.

Well... I don't think its invisible, the PS3 version just does not have an option to switch heads. But you can install and use character mods, you just have to use the default head from the character archetype the moder decided to use.

Top Bottom