• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Shenmue Online

they should have just joined Nintendo and made games worth playing.

Now they're just tragic. Watch SEGA the brand become as worthless as TITUS.

B E N K E

Sega will be bashed for any decisions they make at this place. Oh no, they're not making a sequel to a game that sold shit. Oh no, they're making a sequel of sorts to a game that sold shit. Oh no, they're not making a sequel to a game made 15 years ago that my older brother said was kinda cool!

It's not like the original Shenmue games proved a gold mine. I'm surprised to see anything new from this franchise and before I see where this is headed I'm not going to judge. Bashing a game beacuse of some loose wordings in a press release is rich.

TheGreenGiant said:
they should have just joined Nintendo and made games worth playing.

Now they're just tragic. Watch SEGA the brand become as worthless as TITUS.

Or we could watch as people overreact to a single game announcement.

cvxfreak

The only possible way I can see this succeeding is it they release it not just for PC, but for PlayStation 2 and Xbox, and perhaps even Xenon, and hell, since it's Sega, toss the GameCube into the mix. Luckily though, the $25 Million investment will have more countries than usual backing it, but a PC only release just won't win Sega their investment back. Here's how Sega should do it:

North America
- PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameCube, PC
Potential sales: 400K

Japan
- PlayStation 2, GameCube, PC
Potential sales: 200K

South Korea
- PlayStation 2, Xbox, PC

China
- PlayStation 2, PC

Australia
- PlayStation 2, Xbox, PC
Potential sales: 20K

Europe
- PlayStation 2, GameCube, Xbox, PC
Potential sales: 100K

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
SolidSnakex said:
Or we could watch as people overreact to a single game announcement.

Yes, where else would you read about Sega becomming Shark Shit?

gunstarhero

omg!

Kind of an odd choice to make Shenmue a MMORPG or whatever you want to call it - I guess they are throwing the original story out the window - can't imagine it working in this genre...

Acosta

For some reason, KOF online has came to my mind...

I loved the fighting engine in Shenmue and loved all about the training, I think it could be good, if it's done right.

Stele

Holds a little red book
I'd put mainland China as #1 ... I think Sega is convinced this is their way to break into the Chinese market.
Hate to break it to you, but that's a bad sign, because anything of late Sega has convinced it could do, it has done the polar opposite. Japanese have a socio-economic superiority complex in regards to the rest of East Asia. Many Japanese companies strut into China thinking they're hot shit, and then come out crying with a black eye. I doubt the Chinese are going to be impressed with the pseudo-Oriental mystique charms injected into Shenmue to wow Western audiences, because after all, it's their own culture to begin with.

But, whatever...I'm all for bleeding corporate entities.

the chinese will just pirate the game to hell and back. I really don't see this game taking off; the asian market really isn't that connected online (with the exception of Singapore and Korea) WHy Shemue online, the brand name isn't entrenched as such, its not pure fighting, its about RTEs and the story. THe whole concept could just as explicably be introduced via some other IP. Sega really has lost the plot.

Where the hell is my JSR sequel!

Sho Nuff

Banned
So Sammy believes Chinese people will be happy to play a game developed by Koreans based on a Japanese game about China?

Belfast

If I can sell hotdogs, I'm there!

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out and, honestly, it'd be a lot better way to handle introducing the rest of the chapters rather than releasing them individually. They can just unfold the story over a couple of years (but what roles would people play?).

Releasing on PC isn't a bad idea. FFXI made a fair chunk of change and S-E is making a good decision by releasing its future online titles on the PC, as well (like Front Mission Online). If SO turns out to be a good game, it should be released on PC and consoles.

SolidSnakex said:
Out with one bomb, in with another. The JSR series isn't even as popular as Shenmue.

well, if they're going to waste $25 mil on a shemue online. They could plonk the money on the fan fav, jsr.

and by the way, both series underperformed because they were not on the PS2/cube.

Sho Nuff

Banned
For 26 million dollars, I believe you could employ an army of Chinese-speaking GMs to represent each of the 10,000 NPC's walking around through the game...

belgurdo

Banned
B E N K E said:
Sega will be bashed for any decisions they make at this place. Oh no, they're not making a sequel to a game that sold shit. Oh no, they're making a sequel of sorts to a game that sold shit. Oh no, they're not making a sequel to a game made 15 years ago that my older brother said was kinda cool!

It's not like the original Shenmue games proved a gold mine. I'm surprised to see anything new from this franchise and before I see where this is headed I'm not going to judge. Bashing a game beacuse of some loose wordings in a press release is rich.

So very true. It's both hilarious and annoying to read Sega topics here

cvxfreak

Sho Nuff said:
So Sammy believes Chinese people will be happy to play a game developed by Koreans based on a Japanese game about China?

China, Japan, Korea. They're like, the same people/language/mindset. There's no difference! </ignorant rant>

Stele

Holds a little red book
CVXFREAK said:
China, Japan, Korea. They're like, the same people/language/mindset. There's no difference! </ignorant rant>
Just using your post to make a somewhat related point. If you're ever going to try to do business in China, here's something to remember -- it is a continent, and the provinces are individual nations.

B E N K E said:

They're also not making sequels to games that didn't sell well in the first place either like NiGHTS, PDS, or Burning Rangers. Yet alot of people who complain at the mention of a Shenmue sequel would be smiling if any of those games were announced. That's just the new generation of Sega fans though. The ones that jumped on during the DC days.

cvxfreak

Stele said:
Just using your post to make a somewhat related point. If you're ever going to try to do business in China, here's something to remember -- it is a continent, and the provinces are individual nations.

This is one of the things that's got me worried. China is a group of many different types of people. Hell, I've seen people compare China to Europe in terms of the differences in people, language, life style, etc.

Culex

Banned
God damn, I go to sleep for a couple hours and the forum melts down!

This definately looks like a PC title.

Stele

Holds a little red book
CVXFREAK said:
This is one of the things that's got me worried. China is a group of many different types of people. Hell, I've seen people compare China to Europe in terms of the differences in people, language, life style, etc.
Why does it *worry* you? Is it for Sega? lol

Stele said:

Sega worries me...Only publisher I've ever seen who is bent on losing money. It seriously seems that Sega wants to run themselves out of business.

SyNapSe

HOLY CRAP!? 26 million on an MMO Shenmue? wtf.. That dollar figure can't be right.. How could you get a green light on a project like that. It doesn't seem like it would ever have a chance to do anything but lose money.

cvxfreak

Stele said:

:p

Perhaps *disturb* is a better word. Mainly because whenever someone does something so... outlandish, I can't feel but have a curious opinion on things. :)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Borat said:
There's renders here:

http://shenmue.joycity.com/joy_3.asp

They trouble me greatly. Ryo looking 10 years older, Xiuyang looking all badass, the Final Fantasy rip-off guy... THE FACT THAT EVERYONE CAN SUNDDENLY FIRE FIREBALLS FROM THEIR HANDS!

Hrm... :(

did you not play shenmue 2.
it got all mystical, so it makes sense they shoot fireballs and stuff

DSN2K

sen3.JPG
sen2.JPG

sen.JPG

jcjimher

Wow, I would prefer Shenmue III but at least this shows the franchise is alive.

And, although I didn't liked the magical turn in the Shenmue II ending, I don't take those screens of fireballs too seriously, I don't think they are necessarily revealing of the main Shenmue storyline. And the same goes for all thos strange characters (the Tidus-ripoff included). I suppose any massively multiplayer game must allow the player some kind of freedom to build their charactres, and maybe that means breaking some of the Shenmue conventions (no fireballs, no weapons).

If this may be a financial success or not is an entirely different question. 26 million dollars seem quite high for a project like this, maybe some of the previous Shenmue development costs are included in that figure?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
ahh fuck the game, just make a CG movie!

Can anyone translate the list of main features on the site?

Sho Nuff

Banned
Somehow this does not instill confidence

wtf3.jpg

BTW, does the Chinese market even HAVE high end 3D graphics cards? I mean, Nintendo was releasing the iQue for chrissakes.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
well the characters on the front page of the site look great, thats why a translation would be helpful to understand whats what.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
yeah, i assume they do. there are some pretty nice looking chinese mmorpgs out there. (by nice looking i mean graphics wise)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
jcjimher said:
And, although I didn't liked the magical turn in the Shenmue II ending, I don't take those screens of fireballs too seriously, I don't think they are necessarily revealing of the main Shenmue storyline.

I thought it was safe to assume the story would move towards that from the very beginning. I mean Lan Di was not after the mirrors for their worth as artifacts.

Ever since the Project Berkley video its been known that the series was going to have alot of mystical things happen. Certain portions of PB revolved around that.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
hopefully it'll get about as mystical as games DW etc...so its basically the same it just has pretty particle efffects for when you are fighting.

If the combat engine is intact it'll be great though, VF moves with tekken particle effects and taking on many foes at a time...move over spikeout.

It'll probably be lame though :-/

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hmm, looks like they're bringing over the 'magical' element to this game, as we've seen from the ending of Shenmue 2. Maybe it'll still continue the story somehow, just not as we expected

I was worried that it might be something completely different than Shenmue last night, but now I feel better after seeing the renders. I think it looks good. I just hope it's released in North America. I know most of my old DC PSO buddies will want to play this too.

Top Bottom