• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Shenmue Online

cvxfreak

I can't blame Ryo for taking the course of action he's taken. He has that look where YOU KNOW he's going to rip the living shit out of Lan Di. And you know you'll love it. :p

GG-Duo

sen2.JPG

what i find amusing is that everybody in that screenshot is making a fireball.

adam20

the intelligence of some of the posters on this forum baffles me. I will bet my cat's life that this game is released worldwide. They are dishing out 26 million dollars. Get a clue you guys. Mark my words. This will be released in the US. I will put my cat and every other cat in the neighborhood in the microwave oven if I am proven wrong. Some of you people literally amaze me

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Man, I love Shenmue games, but I don't know about this... It just reeks of suck. Why not make a full blown real sequel?

Now that I think about it, the closest we're going to get to a Shenmue-like game this gen might be 'Rise to Honor'. As much as some people love to hate it, it has an atmosphere and visuals that resemble Shenmue world.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
HAHAHAHA How amusing. My friend loves the series to death and hates playing games online with a passion. Damn I can't wait to break the news to him!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
<------ Didn't play Shenmue 2, but loved the original

Umm, whats with all this magic crap? Is that something that happen in Shenmue 2? Eugh

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
man i really wanna see the video those renders were taken from.

Lan Di looks totally bad ass.

I couldn't give a shit about Shenmue, but the renders look interesting. Adding magic to the series might actually stir up some interest in non-GAFers.

doncale

Banned
holy f'ing sh|te. I'm speachless. almost!

If Shenmue Online is only for PCs, why no bring it out on Xbox or Xenon also? anyway, I want Model 1-exact ports of Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter, as well as Power Drift. Galaxy Force, G-Loc!

Imagine Shenmue Online...being updated with downloadable content.... NEW ARCADES or NEW GAMES IN THE ARCADES, every so often!

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
A massively multiplayer fighting RPG set inside an epic world.

Like the massively multiplayer first-person shooters, this bridges the ideas of typical skill based gameplay with the strategy and development based play of PC MMOGs. With this mix, a character's proficiency relative to others won't be based so completely on how many hours they've had to devote to leveling up. Making a tight combat system in an online environment will be hard, but having the involvement of the creator of VF gives it the best chance, for sure.

On the business end, this is a fitting approach of those developing markets that Japanese publishers so desperately need to tap. Piracy is rampant there, so subscription based gaming helps to ensure the revenue. Massively multiplayer titles are a large part of their gaming culture. The PC is the predominant platform. Also, getting help from native developers should help to make a better suited product.

This new business initiative creates the need for content, giving an opportunity to projects like Shenmue that might not otherwise have gotten further approval.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Well an Mmorpg wouldnt fit in the current generation of systems, they are to far through in their cycles (thats only if it comes out next year, which it probably wont) so it might well be that this is a Xenon/PS3 game that just cant be announced as such yet.

I would assume that the renders represent player created characters and just use Ryo, Lan Di, and others to show something familiar. I could be wrong, but I would expect that no player will actually get to be Ryo in the game.

Perhaps, if it does well, they may intend to make a 3, but I suspect that this is more an attempt to use the complex world and perhaps tie into the backstory than an actual continuation.

Incidentally, I assumed that there would be magic from the prophecy at the beginning of the first game. I thought Shenmue would be quite a bit like 3x3 Eyes. I was rather disappointed that the mirrors and the freaky looking boss at the end of the first part were the most mystical elements in part 1 and that 2 took so long to get to them.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
anyway, I want Model 1-exact ports of Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter, as well as Power Drift. Galaxy Force, G-Loc!
For the first two, buy 'Virtua Racing - Flat Out' and 'VF4:Evo'. OK, they do look better than the original Model 1 games, but the look and feel is pretty much the same, just with smoother animation, better framerate, higher resolution, etc.

For the last three, I believe 'Final Burn' has emulated them long time ago. There might be other emulators now that support them now.

Oni Link 666 said:
I was worried that it might be something completely different than Shenmue last night, but now I feel better after seeing the renders. I think it looks good. I just hope it's released in North America. I know most of my old DC PSO buddies will want to play this too.

you do realise that the image is not ingame? Its interesting the RYO is still the lead in this "ONLINE" game. But what does it mean? Surely not everyone is going to be able to be the lead - and.... what's with the fireballs?!

Shinobi

MaddenNFL64 said:
But this doesn't please their hardcore fanbase.

Fuck the hardcore fanbase...most of 'em have done nothing but bitch for three years because the DC got dunked, and probably only became Sega fans when the DC was hot to trot for about two weeks. And they think they're the hardcore fanbase? Bite me.

B E N K E said:
Sega will be bashed for any decisions they make at this place. Oh no, they're not making a sequel to a game that sold shit. Oh no, they're making a sequel of sorts to a game that sold shit. Oh no, they're not making a sequel to a game made 15 years ago that my older brother said was kinda cool!

Of course...people wanted OutRun 2, and then when it's made half the people bitch that it's too short, as if they expected the game to be played in a virtual map of California. People clamour for a Nights sequel, when the original game could be beaten in 90 minutes on the first go around, and would get destroyed by the press and at retail if it had a similar focus of skill over length. Nothing changes.

For those that wonder where the whole fireball stuff comes from, hit the link below and go down to "Project Berkley Intro" under miscellaneous clips to grab the movie (need a Gamespy account to log in).

http://www.planetxbox.com/shenmuedojo/shenmue_movies.shtml

Saturnman

Banned
Though I am not sure about the new characters seen on the official website, those renders show some great promise.

Shenmue haters am crying.

Korranator

Just imagine everyone in the warehouse will now be real people. Driving forklifts, and stacking boxes. Now with new jobs, sweeping floors, taking out the trash, etc, etc.

Korranator said:
Just imagine everyone in the warehouse will now be real people. Driving forklifts, and stacking boxes. Now with new jobs, sweeping floors, taking out the trash, etc, etc.

Who would want to drive a forlifts in a VIDEO GAME?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
TheGreenGiant said:
you do realise that the image is not ingame? Its interesting the RYO is still the lead in this "ONLINE" game. But what does it mean? Surely not everyone is going to be able to be the lead - and.... what's with the fireballs?!

Its not shenmue without Ryo and Lan Di, you can see in the shot with Ryo standing next to the new character that there are loads of other fighters in the background using magic/summoning chi/whatever, to me this suggests you'll be fighting along side Ryo (its been done in lots of MMORPGs before, characters from the games mythos show up at events and fight battles players can join in with) or maybe against him (though i doubt that).

On the fireball topic, see shinobis reply, magic has always been a part of Shenmue.

BuddyC

1091587325.jpg

So they're just taking the Matrix Online and adding a Ryo skin? ;)

Moving on, this seems to be an interesting direction to take the story.

If Shenmue Online is only for PCs, why no bring it out on Xbox or Xenon also? anyway, I want Model 1-exact ports of Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter, as well as Power Drift. Galaxy Force, G-Loc!

This guy said it. You know what would be awesome in a Shenmue MMO? ARCADES.

You could play, like, every Sega game. You walk into an arcade and see someone playing Virtua Fighter, so you put in a coin and play against him.

Those renders look great, although I really need to know who the hell that white-haired guy is. I'm not sure what they will do with the story for this game, it is either:

1. The whole, complete Shenmue 3 storyline is somehow in the game, perhaps as on offline mode.

2. They hint at the Shenmue 3 storyline briefly, such as with movies like the one above.

3. It's barely related to the core storyline, it just takes place in the Shenmue "universe".

#1 and #3 would be fine, but #2 would suck. They better not take it that way.

Raxel

Shinobi said:
Fuck the hardcore fanbase...most of 'em have done nothing but bitch for three years because the DC got dunked, and probably only became Sega fans when the DC was hot to trot for about two weeks. And they think they're the hardcore fanbase? Bite me.

This is true. Only the genre and territory the game will be released in first have been revealed and the haters are already out in full force.

Shenmue already has the framework for a persistent world anyway, with the whole time/weather thing. This seems to be the next evolution of the series and closer to the original concept of a go anywhere, do anything sorta game. If this becomes a success, I'd imagine Shenmue III would be easy to create as an offline quest using the engine.

Senretsu

Ugh! I now have a strong desire to play this game after listening to some of those music samples!

some really nice stuff in there, though they don't really sound like typical MMORPG music. sounds like they've been working on the game for a long time.

w00t for Xiuying and Joy! (if they're really in the game that is)

and a big fuck you to SEGA in advance if this game doesn't come out in the US (like so many other Korean MMORPGS)

edit: BGM 1, 13, and 14 are pretty good, bring back a lot of memories. BGM 8 is....interesting...

HAOHMARU

I will have my vengence...but first I will pet this cat and play with these toys!

LAN DI...YOU WILL DIE SUCKA!!!!!!!!!1!!

Man, when i first heard about this I gotta say, I was pretty annoyed ("WHERE'S MY SHENMUE 3!!???"), but man, those renders look fucking great.

MaddenNFL64

Wow, I like what those renders show. I might actually change my mind on this :).

I've never played an MMO before, but do you think anyone will get to play as Ryo, or Lan Di? Or are they just showing them in these renders so we know it's based on Shenmue?

Not only is this hilarious news, the knowledge that this crappy MMORPG will inevitably be canceled makes it even funnier. THIS is the way you kill a monkey suck series!

Mashing

What a retarted move this is... Sega finally gets into profitability so they make a game based on a series that has underperformed and made it ONLINE only to cut into sales even further...

It's nice to see Sega is still run by crack addicted monkeys.

Top Bottom