• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Zave

Fallout-NL said:
Did he shave it off after Melloncollie and the infinite sadness? He was bald in the 1979 videoclip. But I remember him having hair in one the pictures that went with the album art.

As far as this new song goes, I think I like it. Is this the only song available at the moment?

He cut his hairs soon after the release of MCIS (in the BWBW video Corgan still has his hair), the first video with the "new" Corgan is, as you told before, 1979.
Tarantula is the only Zeitgeist track available, at the moment. Tuesday will mark the return on stage of the band in Paris, try looking for live version of Zeitgeist songs starting wednesday morning. :)

Diablos

Recordings of that show are going to spread like wildfire... I expect it to be online only a couple hours after the end of the show.

lol kabuki waq where are you getting a "retarded version of geek usa" from? if you don't like the song that's fine but i'm curious to know where the comparison is coming from. it sounds nothing like geek USA, doesn't try to sound like geek usa, basically has nothing in common with geek usa aside from the fact that there are multiple guitar solos throughout the song.

i don't disagree with you about the vocals though. they sound a little out of place but i still feel like the song is top notch.

Zave said:
He cut his hairs soon after the release of MCIS (in the BWBW video Corgan still has his hair), the first video with the "new" Corgan is, as you told before, 1979.
Tarantula is the only Zeitgeist track available, at the moment. Tuesday will mark the return on stage of the band in Paris, try looking for live version of Zeitgeist songs starting wednesday morning. :)

Ah, great stuff, thanks :).

terrene

Banned
I started out ambivalent, but I like this song less the more I hear it. It's doing pretty good up to the second verse. Neo-Billy's nascently croaky voice being molested by autotune (and never-grew-up "sad love" lyrics) is the most objectionable thing. Then the cheesy Blue Oyster Cult guitar solos come in. Then there's the literally-just-like-Guns-and-Roses-sounding "big guitar hits" around the "don't break the oath" part that seem to be begging for stage pyrotechnics. And is that the ****ing "no no no no no no!" from ****ing "Sweet Child of Mine" at 1:55? Do I need the "reverse reverb" vocal fade in every time the vocals come back in, *and* blurring the voice on the one tasteful, quiet part of the song? I don't know man. There are many ways to rock, and I appreciate that I'm more picky than most, but there are quite a few moves that make me want to pull out the red card from my back pocket on this one.

And where the **** is the political content? lol

The song did succeed in one sense: I'm really curious about the record now and actually haven't written it off yet. It's on thin ice with this single and that artwork, but we'll see.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
lol kabuki waq where are you getting a "retarded version of geek usa" from? if you don't like the song that's fine but i'm curious to know where the comparison is coming from. it sounds nothing like geek USA, doesn't try to sound like geek usa, basically has nothing in common with geek usa aside from the fact that there are multiple guitar solos throughout the song.

i don't disagree with you about the vocals though. they sound a little out of place but i still feel like the song is top notch.

Yea i was way too harsh. But the song does give me a heavy Geek USA vibe. ITs just way too disjointed. Butt Rock Total.

terrene said:
I started out ambivalent, but I like this song less the more I hear it. It's doing pretty good up to the second verse. Neo-Billy's nascently croaky voice being molested by autotune (and never-grew-up "sad love" lyrics) is the most objectionable thing. Then the cheesy Blue Oyster Cult guitar solos come in. Then there's the literally-just-like-Guns-and-Roses-sounding "big guitar hits" around the "don't break the oath" part that seem to be begging for stage pyrotechnics. And is that the ****ing "no no no no no no!" from ****ing "Sweet Child of Mine" at 1:55? Do I need the "reverse reverb" vocal fade in every time the vocals come back in, *and* blurring the voice on the one tasteful, quiet part of the song? I don't know man. There are many ways to rock, and I appreciate that I'm more picky than most, but there are quite a few moves that make me want to pull out the red card from my back pocket on this one.

The song did succeed in one sense: I'm really curious about the record now and actually haven't written it off yet. It's on thin ice with this single and that artwork, but we'll see.

Uh oh, I think someone just upset Diablos.

Well said, Terrene. At least you can back up why you're not in love with it.

terrene

Banned
distantmantra said:

In some ways I envy Diablos. It sounds like fun to just jump on the bandwagon. :/ I tried really hard to like it, but... alas. The shows, that's what's I'm excited for. :)

terrene said:

Whoa, you listen to music like I watch movies. Interesting observations though.

terrene said:
Hey wow, thanks for being an idiot.

he has a point tho ....cover art shouldnt even be mentioned in a music thread, because really it DOES NOT MATTER.

specially since most of you ****ers will Download this crap

terrene

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
he has a point tho ....cover art should even be mentioned in a music thread, because really it DOES NOT MATTER.
I'm not going to get into it over the stupid ****ing artwork again, but no he doesn't have a point -- if not only for the fact that I specifically said I wanted to hear the album. But also because I was talking about the vibe I'm getting from the art + Tarantula.

terrene said:
I'm not going to get into it over the stupid ****ing artwork again, but no he doesn't have a point -- if not only for the fact that I specifically said I wanted to hear the album.

how does cover art effect the music?

terrene

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
how does cover art effect the music?
Let's examine my original quote, then you two can STFU:

"The song did succeed in one sense: I'm really curious about the record now and actually haven't written it off yet. It's on thin ice with this single and that artwork, but we'll see."

So wow, I hear a cheesy song from a record with cheesy artwork. But according to you two numbnuts, I have no idea what I'm talking about and I'm just stubbornly uncurious... er, even though I said I wanted to check the record out, anyway.

Right.

terrene said:

"The song did succeed in one sense: I'm really curious about the record now and actually haven't written it off yet. It's on thin ice with this single and that artwork, but we'll see."

So wow, I hear a cheesy song from a record with cheesy artwork. But according to you two numbnuts, I have no idea what I'm talking about and I'm just stubbornly uncurious... er, even though I said I wanted to check the record out, anyway.

Right.

why even bring up the artwork. I agree song sucks ass but the artwork should have nothing to do with making this album go on thin ice. Unless you are just that Shallow. :D

theBishop

Banned
The new song is not a great song.

But it does have the elements of a good Pumpkins song. I wasn't interested in the reunion before hearing it, and now i'm sort of interested. If it didn't have the quiet bridge toward the end, I would've just tuned out.

So I guess that's good.

Right.

don't get your panties in a twist chum, just giving you a hard time ;)

Bebpo

Banned
So is anyone going to get tickets for the shows tomorrow?

Should do a GAF meetup for SP fans by picking one of the dates at each location.

I'm thinking about flying up to SF for the 28th show since it's the one show on a saturday so I can fly in Fri and fly out Sun. If they announce more shows closer to me I can always just sell the SF ticket.

GG-Duo

Hmm, I like that track, it's quite Pumpkins. (...The only gripe is that I hate how Billy's vocals are super crisp above the instruments.....)

My anticipation for Zeitgeist has just increased a little...

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
GG-Duo said:
Hmm, I like that track, it's quite Pumpkins. (...The only gripe is that I hate how Billy's vocals are super crisp above the instruments.....)

My anticipation for Zeitgeist has just increased a little...

Sorry, I just jumped in this thread. You talkin about the first single? 'Cause my biggest gripe with the song is that he sounds like he sounds like he's about 5 feet away from the mic.

Great, great music though. Sounds like something I like to drive really fast to.

Diablos

distantmantra said:

I don't care what he thinks. You guys are clearly in the minority anyway :)

If we look at the patterns of other Pumpkins output over the last 15 years, it's been the case a few times that a relatively shallow yet entertaining rock track has been the first thing they've put out from an album.

Bullet With Butterfly Wings is a frankly stupid song in many ways, but it served its purpose. Same with The Everlasting Gaze (though the stupidity only comes from the awful spoken word section). Even Ava Adore was clearly only selected because it was the most 'rock' track from a not-very-rock album. So I think this bodes well - It's a far better song than BWBW or TEG and I think further encouragement is provided with the fact that this album weighs in at under an hour - Billy Corgan has been guilty at times of making records a bit too bloated, something which doesn't look to be the case with Zeitgeist.

The only slight problem I have with Tarantula is that the lyrics sit on top a bit more than they should in a Pumpkins' song. Lyrics are pretty silly, but then I don't expect much, particularly from a more 'rock' effort. Overall, it's a really good single - It serves its purpose well and shows no sign of the awful MACHINA style production Corgan loved for a while, which is great news.

Bebpo

Banned
Great. Ticketmaster ****ed me.

At 9:59 I started refreshing non-stop to get them once they went online and at about 9:59:30 I get a message that I've exceeded the amount of refreshes and I'm banned for several minutes from the site.

:\

*edit* all shows sold out :(

FrenchMovieTheme said:
dismantra we can go visit world famous candlestick park and recount our favorite 49ers memories!

Haha! This is going to be a whirlwind trip for me (birthday present from my wife), since we need to be in Nebraska for a wedding literally the next day.

Bebpo

Banned
Wow, what the heck!?! I was reading the Netphoria thread and they added shows!!!!

I just kept clicking on the new dates looking for one that had tickets and I was able to get a pair for Sunday, July 15th!!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!

Heard the song on the radio today and it sounds a lot better than the mp3 file from a couple pages back. Seems like the base comes through better......

Diablos

Yeah, what we linked to before on that blog was lossy as hell.

Apparently people are either too a. lazy b. paranoid or c. stupid to do a proper rip of this single. Oh well. There's one that's a step up from the blog's, but it's still transcoded.

so far so good! everyone i know IRL who has heard it at leasts likes the song. most of it is "it's pretty good, but not great" which is fine and better than some of the "OMFG AT THE 1:47 MARK U CAN HEAR HE STOLE A LINE FROM DAVE BOWIE! THEN WHEN HE SINGS THIS LYRIC HE TOTALLY RIPPED OFF POISON! **** U CORGAN YOU FRAUD THIS COCK ROCK SUX OLD MAN" :D

Diablos

From ateaseweb:

[United States]: Mostly an instrumental track, very heavy, couldn't tell you the exact lyrics but the main refrain is "Revolution". The guitar work and drums are just awesome, nice shifts.......doesn't slow up. Actually, I almost forgot that it was 9min. Quite possibly one of my favourites.

I have the album (got it from a music industry friend), first thought it was ok and on the second to third listen it really hit me and I liked it. Subtly catchy. If you're expecting Siamese Dream and all that nostalgia you'll be disappointed. It's not Machina or Adore, definitely not Zwan......listening back, it's actually kind of distinct in its feel. It's a good album, don't think it will be a classic but it is quite good. And this is coming from a big fan. I do think this record is a nice justification for Corgan and Chamberlin reviving the name. Nice start.

Side notes (and then it's a wrap):
-You won't notice Iha being absent. Maybe on stage, but not on the record (then again, I have heard their new guitarist Schroeder is pretty good so who knows). Even my friend who gave me the record was listening to it, thought for a minute, and just went "Nah, not missing Iha."
-D'arcy.....do any of you honestly care?
- I skip over three songs.....one of them is growing on me.
- The political factor: low key.....messages are there, but it's nothing like American Idiot. Not overt. Probably the most overtly political things are the song titles (i.e. Doomsday clock, God and Country, United States, etc.).
-God factor (i.e. Corgan getting religious)....one lyric, maybe two. Isn't prevalent enough to make a mark on the record.
-"That's the Way" is a lovely song.
-Corgan's voice.....I've listened to it enough over the years where I don't really notice it anymore so I'm not the best judge.

that's all folks. I just hope they play a residency near me sometime in the near future.

Single is on iTunes now.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=255099840&s=143441

Artwork:

Tarantula.bmp

I bought it also

Which brings my itunes history too...

Metric - Live it Out (whole album)
Presidents of the USA - Peaches
Presidents of the USA - Lump
Smashing Pumpkins - Tarantula

:p

Diablos

On the radio today at work, I heard the dj on our local crappy alt. rock station (105.9 The X) talk about the single. It says "Drums by Jimmy Chamberlin. Everything else: Billy Corgan". Of course, the dj had to rip on Corgan about being a control freak and then play some lame ass poor excuse for an alt. rock song by that lame ass "Hell Yeah" band.

And now onto things that matter:

http://spliverex.blogspot.com/

Grand Rex photo blog!

Concert photos!

image-upload-25-731121.jpg

image-upload-12-793341.jpg

Top Bottom