• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

KROQ in los angeles just world premiered the entire version of tarantula on the kevin and bean morning show....

and i'm sorry but it was ****ing awesome! only problem i have with the song is it seems like billys voice is too loud over the music at times. i don't really give a shit though. sounded fantastic and there is some hardcore guitar rockin going on in there. nice solos throughout and now i am even more stoked about the record!

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
KROQ in los angeles just world premiered the entire version of tarantula on the kevin and bean morning show....
I woke up to it. :lol

"wtf is this? Am I dreaming or something?"

Zave

Bebpo said:
No rip from the show? :(
Show? The first show is gonna be in Paris next tuesday. Tarantula is ripped from KROQ LA that aired it an hour ad a half ago. KICKASS! It really wipe everything out.

Mifune

Mehmber
It's the best thing Corgan has written since the Mellon Collie era. I can't believe I just said that, but it's true.

No more synth pop or cheese metal, thank god.

Not too shabby, though I'd prefer if the guitars and drums were a bit more prominent/less muted.

Cautiously optimistic for the album

DJ_Tet

Banned
The Orange Peel and AC Entertainment announce:
THE SMASHING PUMPKINS
NINE SHOWS AT THE ORANGE PEEL JUNE 23 - JULY 5

Monday May 14th - AC Entertainment and The Orange Peel are proud to announce that alt-rock legends THE SMASHING PUMPKINS will perform a nine-show residency June 23, 24, 26, 27, 29, 30, and July 2, 3 and 5 at THE ORANGE PEEL in Asheville, NC.
In anticipation of the release of ZEITGEIST, their sixth album and first of new material since 2000, The Smashing Pumpkins announced this special and intimate residency, in addition to eight nights at the legendary Fillmore in San Francisco. The band's set lists will vary from night to night to include songs from Zeitgeist, Pumpkins' classics, retooled songs that didn’t make it onto the new disc, and even tunes written the day of the show. Fans get the unique opportunity to see the Pumpkins inside the process of impromptu creation and taking chances in the hope of taking fans, and their music, to new places. Fans are invited to capture the concerts with audio and video recorders.
Tickets for these special general admission all-ages shows go on sale Sunday, May 20, at 1pm ONLY via www.theorangepeel.net or www.ticketweb.com. Tickets are $20, plus applicable service fees. Two-ticket limit per person. Purchaser must pick up tickets at the box office night-of-show only. Ticket-holders must immediately enter the venue. Photo ID required for ticket pick-up. Tickets are non-transferable. No refunds or exchanges.

Anyone else gonna try and get tix? I'm about 90 min from Asheville, I hope we can snag some tickets. I've only seen the Pumpkins live once, at Lollapalooza, and Billy's voice was shot. I'm really anticipating this, especially the openess of the shows. Hopefully all these sets will hit the web within hours of the end of the shows, should be a blast.

KROQ eh

I picked an awesome time to visit the LA area haha

I hope I hear it on the radio today

Edit - Listened to the mp3, THE PUMPKINS ARE BAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!

DJ_Tet said:
The Orange Peel and AC Entertainment announce:
THE SMASHING PUMPKINS
NINE SHOWS AT THE ORANGE PEEL JUNE 23 - JULY 5

Monday May 14th - AC Entertainment and The Orange Peel are proud to announce that alt-rock legends THE SMASHING PUMPKINS will perform a nine-show residency June 23, 24, 26, 27, 29, 30, and July 2, 3 and 5 at THE ORANGE PEEL in Asheville, NC.
In anticipation of the release of ZEITGEIST, their sixth album and first of new material since 2000, The Smashing Pumpkins announced this special and intimate residency, in addition to eight nights at the legendary Fillmore in San Francisco. The band's set lists will vary from night to night to include songs from Zeitgeist, Pumpkins' classics, retooled songs that didn’t make it onto the new disc, and even tunes written the day of the show. Fans get the unique opportunity to see the Pumpkins inside the process of impromptu creation and taking chances in the hope of taking fans, and their music, to new places. Fans are invited to capture the concerts with audio and video recorders.
Tickets for these special general admission all-ages shows go on sale Sunday, May 20, at 1pm ONLY via www.theorangepeel.net or www.ticketweb.com. Tickets are $20, plus applicable service fees. Two-ticket limit per person. Purchaser must pick up tickets at the box office night-of-show only. Ticket-holders must immediately enter the venue. Photo ID required for ticket pick-up. Tickets are non-transferable. No refunds or exchanges.

Anyone else gonna try and get tix? I'm about 90 min from Asheville, I hope we can snag some tickets. I've only seen the Pumpkins live once, at Lollapalooza, and Billy's voice was shot. I'm really anticipating this, especially the openess of the shows. Hopefully all these sets will hit the web within hours of the end of the shows, should be a blast.

I'm 4 1/2 hours away, but I'll go if I get tickets. I'll be seeing them in the next year even if I have to fly to China.

And I think we can say (although this is only one track) James and D'arcy's absence hasn't hurt the studio album.

Well well well, how out of context and utterly different can 30 seconds sound when it's included in an entire song!

As has been said? Who the **** decided to release THAT as the clip? :)

Macam

Banned
The actual song sounds all right, but I have no idea in what context that was played, as the sound levels seem to be off all over the place. I'll be happy to hear it when it's all cleaned up for the album, but it sounds promising. From what I could tell, it seemed like Jimmy was firing up a storm in the back, somewhat like some of the JCC stuff, and the wall of guitars are back.

Diablos

This is ****ING AWESOME

b-b-b-b-b-but MCR green day

ahahaha :lol :lol :lol :lol

This sounds like Speed a bit. And another Pastichio Meledy clip, not sure what song. Very Mellon Collie.

Not even done listening.

Oh man this is ****in' great.

Best thing Billy has done since Adore.

Mojovonio

Banned
just heard the whole thing on the radio on the way home.

gets a very big MEH from me.

Its a song any other band could have done.

Mojovonio

Banned
Diablos said:
Where's the megarolleyes when you need it...

What? You can barley hear Billy Corgan, as his vocals are washed out behind the guitars and its just a big wall of noise with little to remember.

Its not a song like Silver****, or Rocket or Mayonaise or hell, even Tonight Tonight.

If anything is sounds remote to Bodies, but that is stretching it.

Diablos

Mojovonio said:
What? You can barley hear Billy Corgan, as his vocals are washed out behind the guitars and its just a big wall of noise with little to remember.

Its not a song like Silver****, or Rocket or Mayonaise or hell, even Tonight Tonight.

If anything is sounds remote to Bodies, but that is stretching it.
Of course it's not like Silver****, that song is an 11+ minute epic that has been known to branch off into all different kinds of long psychedelic jams - you're expecting that from the first single? :lol

Rocket is much more simplistic musically... the time signature barely even changes, and there's no soloing. Ditto for Mayonaise. Tonight, Tonight is a completely different kind of song.

Seriously, people like you are never going to be satisfied.

Speaking of soloing, Billy sounds awesome in this song. There hasn't been a SP single with soloing like this since I Am One and Siva. 16 years.

Mojovonio

Banned
Diablos said:
Of course it's not like Silver****, that song is an 11+ minute epic that has been known to branch off into all different kinds of long psychedelic jams - you're expecting that from the first single? :lol

Rocket is much more simplistic musically... the time signature barely even changes, and there's no soloing. Ditto for Mayonaise. Tonight, Tonight is a completely different kind of song.

Seriously, people like you are never going to be satisfied.

maybe you could just accept that I really don't like this song, pretty much because I want the old SP back, and just move on?

Diablos

I don't really care what you think because you aren't making much sense. Stop being so picky, and do yourself a favor: Stop listening to Smashing Pumpkins. If this doesn't make you happy, nothing will.

This song sounds a lot like MCIS. And as I previously mentioned, the soloing is like Gish in overdrive. How that in itself can't be considered a return to the old Pumpkins is beyond me.

The reaction from fans has been very positive overall; even people who said that the 30 second clip sucked over at Netphoria are basically eating crow.

Mojovonio

Banned
Diablos said:
I don't really care what you think because you aren't making much sense. Stop being so picky, and do yourself a favor: Stop listening to Smashing Pumpkins. If this doesn't make you happy, nothing will.

This song sounds a lot like MCIS. And as I previously mentioned, the soloing is like Gish in overdrive. How that in itself can't be considered a return to the old Pumpkins is beyond me.

You mus really ****ing like them.

Jesus Christ.

Mojovonio

Banned
Diablos said:
I'm just saying, if you're this disappointed, stop caring. It's not worth getting that upset over.

I never said I was severely disappointed. I just really don't like that one song. You're the one that felt compelled to tell me why I should think its a good song.

And I'm the one getting upset, right?

Diablos

Mojovonio said:
And I'm the one getting upset, right?
Could've fooled me.

I'm enjoying this song myself, thanks. I'm not upset, but I'm a bit surprised. People who love to hate on everything Corgan has done after 1995 like the song.

You are entitled to your own opinion, never said you weren't; I just don't understand, and I don't have to in order for you to feel the way you do.

THE PUMPKINS ARE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SUCK IT DOWN HATERz!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

That song is like a smattering of all things Pumpkins. Its got the hardness of Geek USA, the soloing of something off Gish, and even an interlude like the end part of Hummer.......with the production values of MCIS. If you can't dig that song and recognize it as classic pre-Adore Pumpkins in 2007 clothes, then you need to quit listening to them. I can't ****ing wait for the album now.

Vicious

It's definitely better than Machina, but I'm still kind of disappointed with it. Really interested to hear what the whole album sounds like.

The new single sorta sucks. I mean seems like a really generic early 90s song. Also Billy's Vocals seems to have actually gotten worse :(

Sounds like Geek USA lite.

maybe it will grow on me.

jesus ****ing christ, I cant stop listening to this. Its SO GOOD. Rocking Billy...Finally! Finally! Granted I wasnt bothered with the Adore sound, but everything that didnt "rock" since MCIS did make me a little sad. Thats not to say I dont love songs from Adore, Machine, or hell, even Zwan and solo Billy(barely). But this song...SO GOOD and SO Smashing Pumpkins.

Bebpo

Banned
My thought is that I'm not like ZOMG at the single itself, but what rocks about the single is the direction is shows the album is going to be...rocking.

Billy's vocals sound like his Solo album, he just doesn't have the sound he had while in SP, and I've accepted that and moved on.

Instrumentally it's a big improvement over his last few ventures though.

Diablos

It sounds more like his live voice. Instead of giving his vocals special treatment, he's just singing like he usually does. Nothing wrong with that.

Diablos said:
It sounds more like his live voice. Instead of giving his vocals special treatment, he's just singing like he usually does. Nothing wrong with that.

There would be nothing wrong with that if he could sing.

But you know after having the song on Repeat it really is growing on me.
Its just not as polished as i had expected it to be.

Diablos

I like his voice, it's unique. Really, every time I turn on the tv I hear super polished American Idol-ish voices. It's nice to hear someone who just sings with raw emotion not caring at all about the technical details, be it since he can't sing it or doesn't care to. I wish more vocalists were like Billy. He proves that you can be a successful artist even if you can't sing based on the typical standards.

I've listened to it about 15 times now.........****ing awesome.

Between Halo 3 kicking ass and the new retro-Pumkins, this has been one of the best weeks in a long time.

Anyone seen any lyrics anywhere?

Top Bottom