• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Diablos

FrenchMovieTheme said:
then we'll have to agree to disagree old buddy. im not saying DFA is an incredible song, but it is enjoyable. although i wish he didn't name it death from above cause i was expecting some hardcore rocking and/or rolling!
I can't see what's so enjoyable about it... at all. There's not one good thing about it. It sounds like it should have been on TheFutureEmbrace. I wonder if it actually was an outtake Billy cleverly pitched in to Best Buy to give them their own exclusive.

lol please quote where i said the 2nd half of the new album sucks! infact, quote where i said i disliked ANY song on the record! all i said is that i like the first half MORE than the 2nd!

it is like when you go down on a chick with a landing strip or a completely shaved chick. you are probably enjoying both but is the completely shaved chick a bit better? yes, cause the pubes dont get stuck in the back of your throat. the 1st half of zeitgeist is a shaved vagina

Diablos

FrenchMovieTheme said:
lol please quote where i said the 2nd half of the new album sucks! infact, quote where i said i disliked ANY song on the record! all i said is that i like the first half MORE than the 2nd!

it is like when you go down on a chick with a landing strip or a completely shaved chick. you are probably enjoying both but is the completely shaved chick a bit better? yes, cause the pubes dont get stuck in the back of your throat. the 1st half of zeitgeist is a shaved vagina
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I know you didn't say that, I'm just picking on you (also venting)

How's your hot gf?

Diablos

FALL TOUR DATES

Here are the Smashing Pumpkins' fall tour dates:

Sept. 8: Montreal (Osheaga Festival)
Sept. 9: Toronto (V Fest)
Sept. 13: Las Vegas (the Pearl)
Sept. 18: Phoenix (Dodge Theatre)
Sept. 24: Vancouver (NE Forum)
Sept. 28: Salt Lake City (McKay Center)
Sept. 30: Morrison, Colo. (Red Rocks)
Oct. 2: St. Paul, Minn. (Wilkins Auditorium)
Oct. 4: Normal, Ill. (Braden Auditorium)
Oct. 7: Detroit (Fox Theatre)
Oct. 9: Pittsburgh (Palumbo Center)
Oct. 11: Columbus, Ohio (LC Pavilion)
Oct. 15-16: Boston (Orpheum Theatre
Oct. 21-22: Philadelphia (Tower Theatre)
Oct. 25: Memphis (Mud Island Amphitheatre)
Oct. 30: Atlanta (Fox Theatre)
Nov. 3: Dallas (Nokia Theatre)
Nov. 5: Nashville (Ryman Auditorium)

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003606517

YES

Bebpo

Banned
Nick said:
This post made almost no sense at all.

TBH, I just write stuff when it comes to music and it might not make sense. I think I'm a pretty solid game/film reviewer, but when it comes to music I'll admit I have no idea what I'm talking about generally as I really can't 'define' music and just write how it sounds to me.

Diablos said:
FALL TOUR DATES

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003606517

YES

**** ME! Ryman in November?!?!?

Hope I can get tix.

BirdBomb

Banned
Diablos said:
FALL TOUR DATES

YES

yay dallas.

hopefully they dont play much from this album because this shit isnt that good imho

Diablos said:
FALL TOUR DATES

YES

Huh. There are a bunch of gaps. I'm guessing Seattle and Portland will be added.

Diablos said:
i hope they don't have an opening band and play a super long set. would be awesome.

The last opening band I saw for the Pumpkins was Fountains of Wayne.

They didn't have openers on the Machina tour, and their sets weren't any longer. :-(

Diablos

distantmantra said:
They didn't have openers on the Machina tour, and their sets weren't any longer. :-(
Whatever. When their major tour kicks off next year... I'm going to that, too.

I am going to see this band every ****ing time they tour until they don't tour anymore. I've gotta make up for never seeing SP since I first got into them over ten years ago.

IntestineBoy said:
They're also playing Endfest 16 in Seattle on 9/22 at the Qwest Field Parking Lot.

Just bought my ticket, thanks.

edit: The second stage lineup is total shit, but whatever.

The Used
Hot Hot Heat
Paramore
Shiny Toy Guns
Against Me
Straylight Run

ZeoVGM

Banned
distantmantra said:
Just bought my ticket, thanks.

edit: The second stage lineup is total shit, but whatever.

The Used
Hot Hot Heat
Paramore
Shiny Toy Guns
Against Me
Straylight Run

I see three awesome bands, one really good band, and two bands I don't have an opinion on.

Straylight Run is ****ing amazing. Especially live. Unarguable.

Diablos

omg rite said:
I see three awesome bands, one really good band, and two bands I don't have an opinion on.

Straylight Run is ****ing amazing. Especially live. Unarguable.
And you're ripping on me when I say Zeitgeist is my AOTY? :lol

Anyway, yeah, b0lly kicked Bert McCracken in the stomach. Pwnt.

Smashing Pumpkins will play Tarantula and Starz on the Late show Monday, July 9th
http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/membernews_1106

ZeoVGM

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
please tell me the 2 bands you have no opinion on are hot hot heat and the used.

Actually, that would be Hot Hot Heat and Shiny Toy Guns.

The Used is cool because their new CD is better than the Pumpkin's new CD.

Diablos said:
And you're ripping on me when I say Zeitgeist is my AOTY? :lol

Yes, and please. Don't try and argue my taste with yours, after your posts in the Eminem thread. :p

The difference, btw, is I never said any of those bands had an AOTY.

alright, i've listened to the album at least 5 times, and right now i'd say my impressions are favorable. there's not too much variety in the songs compared to most albums, but i like the sound of the majority, so that's a good thing in my mind.

i'll do a thorough writeup of impressions when i have the time, but right now the songs i'm most listening to are Bleed the Orchid, United States, and Tarantula. Bleed the Orchid sounds especially like a classic Pumpkins song in my mind.

So accompanying our beloved Pumpkins on the mainstage at Endfest are:

Bright Eyes
Satellite Party
Social Distortion

Huh. While as weird a combination as possible, I'm content seeing the Pumpkins and Bright Eyes.

ZeoVGM

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
:lol :lol

alright dude

Yes, it's hilarious. Very funny. See, I think the new SP album is horrible. I think The Used's album is at least good. That makes it better.

This isn't a good CD dude. It's not even the ****ing Pumpkins really.

Macam

Banned
I don't know why Billy likes Dallas so much, but I suppose I'll be making the trek to that godforsaken city when tickets go on sale.

Also, thanks for the live version of Starz.

Yes, it's hilarious. Very funny. See, I think the new SP album is horrible. I think The Used's album is at least good. That makes it better.

This isn't a good CD dude. It's not even the ****ing Pumpkins really.

if the new pumpkins album is horrible and the band sucks then why are you in this thread? just say "LOLZ ALBUM SUXXX!" and leave forever! oh wait... keep forgetting this is neo-gaf!

p.s. in my opinion you have shitty taste in music (juding solely on the basis that you think the new used album is "at least good")

Oneself

Holy ****ing crap. I couldn't resist. I just listened to it.. and OMG!! Best comeback ever. Everything post Machina was complete crap IMO, especially Zwan, so I thought Corgan was a total douchebag. But wow, it's 1996 again, in a good way.:lol

Purchase confirmed, day one.

Diablos

siamesedreamer said:
Yeah, I like the synthesized sound during the heavy guitar rifs. I wonder why they cut that out of the album version?
It's still there, but the riffing is out in front instead. It's reversed for the live ver. ::shrug:: Ah well.

i love the music of starz, i even like most of the lyrics, but god i feel like the song is handicapped by him doing that "we are staaaaz... we aaaahhhhh..." really bums me out cause the song should have been top notch, but instead its just good. you may call me crazy for saying one line in the song takes it down a notch but thats just how i feel :(

jumper

Diablos said:
Here's a live version of Starz. You'll notice the differences right away.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ai8dbh

I love this song either way, though. It honestly could be a lost track from Siamese Dream.

I have to say, after listening to the studio version first, I like the studio version better. That's why I try to avoid hearing live versions first, they can ruin songs for me.

Diablos

Billy wanted Britney, Lindsay, and Paris on the cover to combat his "we can't compete with the Britneys of the world" comment from 2000 that everyone took seriously. :lol That's pretty hilarious.

Top Bottom