• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Diablos

distantmantra said:
My Endfest ticket came in the mail today! Seeing them July 31st and September 22nd!

With those two shows, I'll have seen SP 16 times. :D
I ****ing hate you

Bebpo: I think Adore is just a flawless album start to finish, not one low point.

MaX_PL

Banned
wow i'm a joke of a pumpkins fan. i was at bestbuy today and totally forgot to buy the album. god damn it, gonna have to go back tomorrow.

and whats worse, i didnt get it first day of release.

max you know it's out this coming tuesday right?

unless you were joking for some reason and knew that.

anyways, great performance by SP on live earth! i missed United States, but tarantula and today rocked it. billy's voice broke up a few times and he messed up on the beginning of today though :lol

did they just play 3 songs?

MaX_PL

Banned
its out this tuesday?

freakin best buy ad has it advertised as 9.99 on sale. doesnt say its releasing tuesday. so when i saw you guys talking about it i thought it was out already. but i guess you have the
pirated version.

but i guess this make sense. my brother would sure as hell had the cd by now and i would have known.

I posted this in the Live Earth thread but I figured all the Pumpkins fans are in here.

Wow the Pumpkins are the best Ive see all day, but this isnt the as the original band, right? I know of course the singer is still there, and the drummer seems to be the same, but I dont recognize the other two.

MaX_PL

Banned
that kind of sucks. i hope the music is the same. i heard one of the songs on the radio a few weeks ago and it sucked so bad. it was like emo meets rock crap.

MaX_PL said:
that kind of sucks. i hope the music is the same. i heard one of the songs on the radio a few weeks ago and it sucked so bad. it was like emo meets rock crap.

Well that is what the Smashing Pumpkins are.

*gets flame suit ready*

I kid, I kid.

Diablos

MaX_PL said:
Yes, so many emo songs have awesome guitar solos and tight drumming.

super funk said:
Thanks. I guess 2/4 aint bad. Thats almost 50%!
Considering they are the most talented members of the band, it's not bad at all. James did a few songs, not much else. Darcy did next to nothing. Billy and Jimmy have always been the driving force behind the band. Jimmy doesn't get much credit, but he does a lot.

6c6hr45.gif
6c6hr45.gif
6c6hr45.gif

6c6hr45.gif
6c6hr45.gif
6c6hr45.gif

6c6hr45.gif
6c6hr45.gif
6c6hr45.gif

I like this avatar. The video would have been much more awesome if it'd come out before the current line up had been confirmed. The internet would've exploded. 'Wtf why is there like 12 people in SP now?!'

I think the new album is, well...there's half a really good album in there. Starz and United States are really poor in their recorded versions (live is a different matter to some extent - mostly in the case of Starz - but on the record Starz is cringeworthy and United States is just boring....) and a few other tracks are uninspired. For me, if you took those two weak tracks away and put Stellar and Zeitgeist in there, you'd have a much better album.

Haven't heard Death From Above yet, can't find it for download.

Billy Corgan being his own worst enemy with recording style / production & track selection is nothing new, but it doesn't half frustrate me when it happens. Machina suffered from a similar affliction.

They played some kind of interview here in ATL on 99X with Billy and Jimmy talking about different stuff and the inspirations behind some of the songs.

Billy said the drums in United States was done in one take without stopping. He said its the highlight of Jimmy's career. Unreal......

He also said that the Kerry campaign asked him to do a campaign stop in 2004. He declined.....talked about how both candidates were members of Skull and Bones. Seems extremely cynical with the American political process.

Its a good interview. Should be on the interwebs somewhere.

Bebpo

Banned
Are the bonus tracks not on the disc?

I was assuming besides the itunes version, the two other versions had DFA and Zeitgiest on the actual album, but now I'm hearing they just give you codes or something to download the tracks off itunes at meh 192kbs?

Bebpo said:
Are the bonus tracks not on the disc?

I was assuming besides the itunes version, the two other versions had DFA and Zeitgiest on the actual album, but now I'm hearing they just give you codes or something to download the tracks off itunes at meh 192kbs?

You know, if really want to DFA on a disc, you could always buy the Tarantula UK CD single like I did.

The Target ad makes it sound like the bonus track is on the actual disc.

I guess we'll find out on Tuesday.

Macam

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
They played some kind of interview here in ATL on 99X with Billy and Jimmy talking about different stuff and the inspirations behind some of the songs.

Its a good interview. Should be on the interwebs somewhere.

It was already posted on the previous page.

Diablos

Even allmusic won't stop hating on Zeitgeist (they gave it two out of five).

This is unbelievable. A lot of reviews for Mary Star of the Sea were really positive and rated it pretty high. Zeitgeist is getting dumped on, even though it's a better album than MSOTS ever was. Does not compute. Zwan's studio disc was really, really bad. Zeitgeist is so much better.

edit: Pitchfork gave it a 4.9.

Macam

Banned
I'm admitedly a little baffled by the Pitchfork review. While they accurately point out the range & strength of SP's sound, they go on to downplay Zeitgeist's sound as largely being one-dimensional which I don't think is particularly accurate. Granted, it's heavier on the whole (though I'd say it's not far from being on par with the heaviness of Machina) and there aren't any of the acoustic-tinged sets we saw on earlier albums, but it's not a balls-to-the-wall album like heavier acts are akin to. There definitely seems to be an overriding trend of really knocking on Billy's use of his own voice as backup vocals and laying on the synth at times, though I never quite understood the inherent hatred for the methods in reviews. By and large, I think he utilizes them rather well save on tracks like Pomp & Circumstance and its ilk. Knocking him for his shitty lyrics is fine by me, but I never mistook BC for Bob Dylan and just immersed myself in the melodies and rythyms of the music. Also,
I like God & Country

That AllMusic review was atrocious. It spent more time launching a series of implicit and explicit personal attacks on BC than it did on the album whatsoever. It's only saving grace was when it referred to Jimmy Chamberline as someone "who came across like an old metalhead on the prowl for freaky chicks." That's some comedy gold!

Diablos

BC knows how to write good lyrics, but he also knows not to overdo them with every single song. Zeitgeist is more driven by the guitar than lyrical meaning. All you have to do is listen to something like The Last Song, 33, all kinds of stuff on Adore, Machina, Siamese, etc.

They set the bar too high with him because I think they enjoy it.

Bebpo

Banned
Eh, I have no problems with the lyrics on the album. Compared to say NIN's Year Zero, the lyrics on this album are great. I think BC did a much better job at making political statements than TR did.

I don't really see any reason to knock the lyrics in a review.

Macam

Banned
Diablos said:
They set the bar too high with him because I think they enjoy it.

I don't think that has anything to do with it honestly. I just think they fall into the trap a number of lesser writers do and make the assumption that their readership cares about a lot of the drama that goes on behind the scenes in the industry rather than actually trying to read a review about the material in question. Sometimes it's relevant (Chamberlin getting kicked out of SP prior to the development of Adore for example), but 95% of the time, it's not.

BC can write some good lyrics, but, at least to me, once you gut the music from it, they start to fall flat (Hello, Blinking Fists!). "The world is a vampire" sounds outright amateurish, and without the edge in his voice, the thumping drums, and the driving bass, it largely stays that way. It's always been messages, moods, & themes amplified by the trademark sound. United States as voiced by Zach de la Rocha would may give reviewers the depth they may be bemoaning that's lacking, but I can't blame BC for sticking to what he knows best.

phez

Banned
Macam said:
I'm admitedly a little baffled by the Pitchfork review. While they accurately point out the range & strength of SP's sound, they go on to downplay Zeitgeist's sound as largely being one-dimensional which I don't think is particularly accurate. Granted, it's heavier on the whole (though I'd say it's not far from being on par with the heaviness of Machina) and there aren't any of the acoustic-tinged sets we saw on earlier albums, but it's not a balls-to-the-wall album like heavier acts are akin to. There definitely seems to be an overriding trend of really knocking on Billy's use of his own voice as backup vocals and laying on the synth at times, though I never quite understood the inherent hatred for the methods in reviews. By and large, I think he utilizes them rather well save on tracks like Pomp & Circumstance and its ilk. Knocking him for his shitty lyrics is fine by me, but I never mistook BC for Bob Dylan and just immersed myself in the melodies and rythyms of the music. Also,
I like God & Country

That AllMusic review was atrocious. It spent more time launching a series of implicit and explicit personal attacks on BC than it did on the album whatsoever. It's only saving grace was when it referred to Jimmy Chamberline as someone "who came across like an old metalhead on the prowl for freaky chicks." That's some comedy gold!

im sorry, but why do you read music reviews? these are far worse than movie critics - its like saying "i like orange and you like blue, thus anything blue is ass". nothing could be more personal than taste in music. /ot

Macam

Banned
phez said:
im sorry, but why do you read music reviews? these are far worse than movie critics - its like saying "i like orange and you like blue, thus anything blue is ass". nothing could be more personal than taste in music. /ot

I don't, save for curiousity with regards to artsits or albums I'm interested in. It rarely, if ever, impacts my decision, but every now and then I do like to see what other people are saying about things just to get an idea.

Diablos

Macam said:
I don't think that has anything to do with it honestly. I just think they fall into the trap a number of lesser writers do and make the assumption that their readership cares about a lot of the drama that goes on behind the scenes in the industry rather than actually trying to read a review about the material in question. Sometimes it's relevant (Chamberlin getting kicked out of SP prior to the development of Adore for example), but 95% of the time, it's not.

BC can write some good lyrics, but, at least to me, once you gut the music from it, they start to fall flat (Hello, Blinking Fists!). "The world is a vampire" sounds outright amateurish, and without the edge in his voice, the thumping drums, and the driving bass, it largely stays that way. It's always been messages, moods, & themes amplified by the trademark sound. United States as voiced by Zach de la Rocha would may give reviewers the depth they may be bemoaning that's lacking, but I can't blame BC for sticking to what he knows best.
The world is a vampire sounds amateurish (although I think BWBW in full is pretty brilliant if you've ever attempted to figure out it's true meaning), but "I'm rumored to the straight and narrow / while the harlots of my perils scream" isn't so bad, is it? Like I said, it just depends on the type of song and where he's coming from. Corgan is far from being one of the worst lyricists out there. Of course he's not Bob Dylan, but who is, really?

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that BC has proven consistently that he can write good lyrics, so people need to stop acting like he can't just because every single song he writes doesn't live up to some other stuff he's done. Once again, these funky rules seem to apply to him and no one else. It's alternative rock, yeesh.

Billy's been avoiding all kinds of questions in recent interviews, he has seriously said that there's a large group of people in the mainstream music media out to get him. Based on reviews, I'd say that he's right.

Diablos

ok iTunes, I downloaded the album, now where's my code?!

btw, the iTunes album, even if lossy at 128kbps, is a lot more crisp and clear than the leak.
Seems like some of those watermarked copies were a bit distorted. Jimmy's drumming is a lot louder and the vocal mix seems better. I could be wrong.

Ah well, either way I never had a serious problem with the production.

Amazon shipped my copy yesterday with an estimated arrival of today (it'll probably come in tomorrow). I've been listening to the Rock Am Ring show a lot so I'm really looking forward to hearing the studio versions.

I'm heading over to Target to pick up Zeitgeist in the morning. I'll be buying the other weekly releases at the local record shop, but I'm a sucker for bonus tracks.

iTunes can blow me, though. I hate digital download purchases.

Diablos

BigJonsson said:
I'll actually buy the album Tuesday night or Wednesday

Which version should I get? And what Canadian stores are getting which?
I dunno, but I'd get the Target version. Avoid the Best Buy one like the plague.

Anyway, I'll be picking up the LE version with Zeitgeist (title track) and the one with the big booklet. :)

edit: heh, the digital booklet has a picture of
Darcy's bass in a coffin with the classic SP logo (that I'm pretty sure she designed) placed beside it.

I'm confused as shit. Went to Target this morning to pick it up. They had the "purple-ish" colored album with Zeitgeist. I thought they were carrying the red one?

Anyway, can someone clear up which versions are bought in which store and the bonus content for each version. Preeche.....

Macam

Banned
For the record, Stellar (the iTMS bonus track) is relatively ho-hum. Not really a stand out track, but nothing terrible either. The extra 5 cover tracks by the other bands are all flat out ****ing terrible however. I'll grab the other two versions later; one to just have a physical copy of the album myself and one for a friend, so here's to hoping those tracks are a bit better.

Top Bottom