• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Diablos

I found this little blurb on Netphoria,

Yea that car commercial is really dumb. warner is fucking them with the advertising. i had a long conversation with some radio folks about the different versions of the album and how billy had nothing to do with it and how dumb it looked for the band.
Interesting, very interesting.

edit:

Why does Best Buy have such a hard on for Billy?
87ltg5v.jpg

I'm officially not going to Thursday's concert. I gave the tix to one of my friends and he's taking his brother. A 1 in 7 shot of them picking a Thursday night...fucking sucks. :(

Macam

Banned
Diablos said:
Jimmy Flemion.

...Who was completely awesome for the record. It was like two shows in one; Billy playing bass, JC on drums, and Jimmy, who's taller & balder than Billy, taking over Billy's guitar. The guy is an absolute crackpot, but highly entertaining. At one point he feigned like he was going to smash the guitars and the set and Billy made this "oh shit" sort of face. I'm sure someone will have video; at worst, Jeff was taking pictures on the side so he may post that on the blog.

My only disappointment with the show was the complete lack of information about the concert following the schedule change. The ticket company sent out an e-mail the day of letting everyone know the concert would start at 7pm and not 8pm as originally intended. There was no info on whether there was an opening band either. I wound up getting there a little after 7pm thinking there was no way they would start that early, but sure enough, they were playing Bullet w/Butterfly Wings & Drown just before I could even get in the venue.

Other than that, it was a great show. The only notable Zeitgeist songs they didn't play were United States & That's the Way, instead opting for Tarantula, Doomsday Clock, Pomp & Circumstance (which I have to say, was great and revamped for the entire band), Bring the Light, Superchrist, & Heavy Metal Machine...which is all I needed. Zero was a complete surprise by just about the whole crowd was jumping for that one.

Anyway, to hell with class, SD, I'd still go.

Diablos

New songs around 1/1/08?? Seems so!

Jimmy Chamberlin said:
Greetings, I hope these words find you all at peace.

First I'd like to thank everyone for their prayers and energy. It was well received and I'm feeling much better. The tour was a rock rampage and now we are back in the studio recording some songs for a possible release worldwide.

Look for these around the first of the year. Busy Bees !

I wish all a Happy Holiday and a productive 08!

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/blog

I've been listening to Gossamer a lot lately. This song desperately needs to be released but without stifling production. Diablos, point me towards the highest quality bootleg for the song you've come across.

Diablos

Hmm. They played it with Uli Jon Roth at Rock Am Ring this year, but I have lost the WMV.

I honestly do not have any other recordings of the song. Hopefully some other people do.

Macam

Banned
Diablos said:
Hmm. They played it with Uli Jon Roth at Rock Am Ring this year, but I have lost the WMV.

I honestly do not have any other recordings of the song. Hopefully some other people do.

I've been meaning to record it for some time now, so if you give me a few days, I should be able to at least record the Rock Am Ring version.

i have an .mp3 of gossamer from i think one of the first shows the pumpkins were back. the quality is pretty average but if you're interested you can hit me up on AIM (whossorrynow015) and ill get it to you

Diablos

Infinitemadness said:
l_558f89f2d30d3c06ebb49417e424865c.jpg

wha?

itunes exclusive EP...Quality Gossamer?
b0lly said:
I emerge from my seemingly eternal self-imposed silence to bring good news! The collective We is happy to announce that We have just finished a new acoustic e.p. entitled 'American Gothic' that features 4 new songs:

* The Rose March
* Again, Again, Again (the crux)
* POX
* Sunkissed

Even better is the news that these songs will be available on i-tunes starting January 2nd...the collective We looks forward to you hearing these new songs afresh and us playing them to you anew on the upcoming European and Australian tours...

Since the holidays are upon us, the collective I would like to take this opportunity to give gratitude where it is due, and that is to those that are not hypnotized, or so numbed by darkness that they cannot hear the chime in my words...I wish you a warm holiday and a brilliant New Year to come, and may you get all you deserve! (again) From my heart to yours, sincerely, I hope you feel the love that we have for all of you, even for those of you who are lost and seeking, bruised and still keeping...i hope these words find you as well...

The new day has finally come as we turn the corner on the end of one energy that no longer serves us and begin to embrace the new dawn that will...and no, I am not speaking about the band or the music business...what is past is passed, and we all wear the black arm bands in honor of, but life happily, as it should, marches on...hopefully to a good beat...

Thanks to New Orleans for showing Us the meaning of hope...and thanks to the old guard for showing the same dull move, you know the one that never works? Art band that said old guard wishes they were in so bad that they wish importance upon it? Check! No matter what you crutches all dream up, Led Zep is still a 100 times better! Go Zep! Go Team! Rock on! Long Live the Mighty SP!
And...

Thank YOU for showing up! And yes, I mean YOU :)

lovingness, happiness, BC

Yay for more lossy iTunes songs!!!!

purchased them off itunes. not bad, rose march is from the residency gig so its cool to hear it in album form. i like pox best, then sunkissed, then rose march, then again. worth $4!

Bebpo

Banned
Hmm, regrettably picked these up. I'm fine with itunes pricing, but I hate the quality. Why is Billy so infatuated with using itunes? At least use Amazon with their 256k mp3s.

Macam

Banned
Bebpo said:
Hmm, regrettably picked these up. I'm fine with itunes pricing, but I hate the quality. Why is Billy so infatuated with using itunes? At least use Amazon with their 256k mp3s.

iTunes offers the option, so that's a decision Billy and/or the label made. There's always the CD route.

The songs are great and sound more like proper B-sides. I hope they keep rolling out tracks as they move along.

Just saw this in the email I got from SP:

"In the U.S., iTunes is the exclusive retailer; elsewhere in the world, "American Gothic" will be available as a physical product at retail."

Screw iTunes, I'll just order a physical copy from Europe.

Diablos

Holy crap,

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/jan/02/temple-terrace-drug-arrest-yields-multiple-charges/

Billy's dad got caught with some drugs... and in quite an embarrassing way, I would have to think.

By Josh Poltilove of The Tampa Tribune

Published: January 2, 2008

William Dale Corgan's left forearm had a syringe in it when three people saw him unresponsive in the driver's seat with his vehicle's ignition on, according to the Temple Terrace Police Department.

William Dale Corgan

Police arrested the 60-year-old Tampa man last night at 5601 N. 56th St.

Corgan was disoriented and unsteady, and he appeared impaired while performing sobriety tests, a criminal arrest affidavit states. In his vehicle, there were three small clear bags of heroin, diazepam tablets in a purple Crown Royal liquor bag and a silver spoon containing heroin residue, police said.

Corgan, of 9159 Sheena Drive, was charged with five felony counts of possessing a controlled substance and nine felony counts of introducing contraband into a detention facility. He also faces one count each of driving under the influence, possessing heroin with intent to sell or deliver and possessing drug paraphernalia.

He was in Orient Road Jail this morning. His bail was set at $34,700.

Reporter Josh Poltilove can be reached at jpoltilove@tampatrib.com or (813) 259-7691.
7x44kf8.jpg

guys does anyone know how to covert a song you buy from itunes to MP3? i'm trying to put american gothic on CD but everytime i try to convert it, itunes tells me "cannot convert because protected files cannot be converted to other formats". its in mp4a or something. i can't even play it in winamp/foobar. fuck you itunes!

Macam

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
guys does anyone know how to covert a song you buy from itunes to MP3? i'm trying to put american gothic on CD but everytime i try to convert it, itunes tells me "cannot convert because protected files cannot be converted to other formats". its in mp4a or something. i can't even play it in winamp/foobar. fuck you itunes!

You have to burn it to disc in the Protected AAC format first, then re-import them as MP3s to do that. Of course, you'll suffer some audio degradation, but for most people, it's not that noticeable. For the record, that's pretty much like iTunes 101. If you're on a Mac, a program like WireTap Studio is great for this sort of thing and lets you forego wasting a blank disc just to reimport the tracks. I'm guessing you're not though.

Since you've bought the tracks and I've done something similar a month ago, check your PM box in a bit. The tracks are in AAC format, which should play just fine in Winamp or any other music device. You can easily transcode them to MP3 if you need to via iTunes.

thanks for the help!

man thats pretty weak though. those are the first itunes songs ive ever bought.... i think i'll just stick to buying CD's in-store if i'm going to have to go through all the trouble to convert them to mp3!

Diablos

Starz or especially Bleeding the Orchid should have been the next single.

Anyway, SP is touring again, this time with some songs they haven't played in a long time. One of them being Porcelina!

Vienna set (1/31):

cd 1:

01: porcelina of the vast oceans
00:15 - a bit of static
02:58 - a bit of static
02: behold! the nightmare
03: bring the light
04: tonight, tonight
05: mayonaise
06: try, try, try ->
07: superchrist
08: (come on) let's go
09: stellar
10: perfect
11: lily (my one and only)
12: the rose march
13: today
14: tarantula
15: stand inside your love
16: ava adore

cd 2:

01: drown
02: bullet with butterfly wings
03: 1979
04: that's the way (my love is)
05: my blue heaven
06: the everlasting gaze
07: cash car star ->
08: easy living [uriah heep]
-> foreplay/long time [boston] ->
09: for what it's worth [buffalo springfield]
10: daydream
11: wound
12: united states
13: i don't mind
--> improvised waltz (tease)
14: cherub rock

You can get the FLAC bootleg here: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52876

porcelina omgwtfbbq!

how is the quality on that boot?

also diablos have you checked out thepumpkins.net? lots of live shows in full format there, good quality too. i was finally able to find the adore version of stumbeline live again!

Diablos

The quality is ok.

Porcelina needs some work, you can tell they just started playing it. Nightmare, however, is awesome.

They also play Mayonaise! :D
Lily sounds really cool!
Daydream isn't acoustic! Never heard it like this before. Very nice!

I've been to thepumpkins.net before, but not recently.

jdforge

Banned
They opened with Porcelina last night in Belfast @ The Kings Hall. Shame the acoustics are so poor at the venue, but regardless SP delivered a sublime 2 hours 45 minute set that blew me away.

I've not heard a band so self indulgent in ages, but man did they deliver the goods! A few more big hits would have made the night extra special, especially as this was their first gig in Belfast, having cancelled 10 years ago.

My highlights included:

1979 (Acoustic)
Rhinoceros
Tristessa
Cherub Rock (Last Encore)
Today
Tonight, Tonight (Kings Hall Erupted)
Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Doomsday Clock

Macam

Banned
Superchrist makes it to CD on March 1st and more North American tour dates:

A previously unreleased Smashing Pumpkins song, "SuperChrist," will be released on a CD featuring bands staffed by employees of Guitar Center, Billboard.com can reveal.

The album will be available in a limited quantity beginning March 1 at Guitar Center outlets. The members of the Pumpkins chose the acts appearing on the compilation based on submissions from Guitar Center.

"Guitar Center asked us if we would be interested in contributing a song to this compilation of young artists to help draw attention to the bands," Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan says in a statement released to Billboard.com. "We loved the idea, and think Guitar Center is way ahead of the curve of what is possible between musicians and reaching new audiences."

"SuperChrist," which didn't make the cut for the Pumpkins' 2007 album "Zeitgeist" but has been performed live on the supporting tour, will be the subject of a new video, premiering Feb. 27 on MySpace.

"We didn't feel we understood the song and thought playing it on tour would help us sort it out," Corgan says of the song, which was recorded at Sunset Sound in Hollywood, Calif., with co-producer Kerry Brown. "He seems to bring out the psychedelic in us."

In addition, the Pumpkins are planning a new round of North American tour dates, with details to be announced.

Coincidentally, Guitar Center is right across the street;-)

Diablos

needlejuice said:
They opened with Porcelina last night in Belfast @ The Kings Hall. Shame the acoustics are so poor at the venue, but regardless SP delivered a sublime 2 hours 45 minute set that blew me away.

I've not heard a band so self indulgent in ages, but man did they deliver the goods! A few more big hits would have made the night extra special, especially as this was their first gig in Belfast, having cancelled 10 years ago.

My highlights included:

1979 (Acoustic)
Rhinoceros
Tristessa
Cherub Rock (Last Encore)
Today
Tonight, Tonight (Kings Hall Erupted)
Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Doomsday Clock
They brought back some Gish songs besides Drown and Daydream! FINALLY!!
Glad you had a good time... I heard the show in Nottingham did not end so well (the band walked off super early, no encore or anything).

There are reports of them walking off in Manchester too, but there was an 11pm curfew and thus they had no choice but to walk off at 10:50.

diablos (or anyone else), i found this myspace page with live records from the 2-3-08 page (look under smashing pumpkins live at bologna) and the quality is awesome. any idea where i can get a recording of this show??

Diablos

Woooow.

Zane Lowe: Billy Corgan, are you on the line?

Billy Corgan: Billy is here.

ZL: Jimmy Chamberlin?

Jimmy Chamberlin: Hello?

ZL: Ahhh, good news, good news. Smashing Pumpkins, welcome back to the United Kingdom! The tour is underway - the rockness is happening and we’ve got you on line on Radio 1. It’s nice to have you. How are you?

BC: Good, we’re great!

ZL: This is rare, I have to say, since Zeitgeist has come out, and I have to start right here: You guys have been kind of reluctant to talk about 21st-century Pumpkins and it’s a nice opportunity to get the chance to do so. But why were you so reticent to begin with?

BC: Well, I think we figured that the first problem we were going to have, which wasn’t a musical issue, was that anyone who would talk to us wasn’t going to talk about music, they were going to talk about the past, and the problems of the past and the band of the past. And it makes total sense - if I was a fan, I’d want to know that stuff too. But because we made the decision to come back for real, we figured, “Well, we’re going to be around for awhile, so let’s just let the music do the talking for a while.”

ZL: Can we get the customary past question out of the way right now? Why do you think, with the benefit of hindsight, you broke up in the first place?

BC: You know - and Jimmy can certainly add to this - we were really not prepared for what band success brought us. We were just so overwhelmed by it, and we tried to sort of soldier on and keep up a good face, and we just couldn’t handle it. And rather than sort of step back and come at it from a different end, we just kept going and going and going, and I think it just destroyed the band. There was no trust within the band.

JC: I think we really needed to grow up as individuals. I think [for] me personally, and I know [for] Billy…we had spent so much time in the band we were basically in what amounted to late adolescence, for lack of a better term, for us. I think growing up emotionally in a band that’s a juggernaut like that places a lot of stress on you that you’re not prepared for. I think more than anything, we needed a break to grow up spiritually and come back to music with a new appreciation and a lot of good reasons to do it.

ZL: Yeah, you’ve summed it up beautifully, but you really did when you released Zeitgeist as well. It was an aggressive, very angry, direct rock-and-roll record. Was that the idea from the very start with Zeitgeist, or did that just develop over the course of the couple years making the record that it turned into that beast? Or was that your idea, that “We’re going to come back and we’re going to come back hard?”

BC: In talking to fans, everybody was like, “Put the band back together and come back and rock.” You got that sense off the street that people wanted to hear some energy, that they didn’t want us rolling over and crying in our milk. So we looked at it like we looked at our very first album, Gish, where you just gotta make a statement. It doesn’t have to be everything, it doesn’t have to be The Wall. It just has to have some energy and have some currency and there has to be some music on it that somebody goes, “Okay, this is 2007, this is not 1994 again.”

BBC Radio 1 interview transcript, part two of two
9:32 pm // Tuesday, February 19th, 2008 by jjb
tags: tour, venues, interview, studio, radio

Here’s the remainder of cool DJ Zane Lowe’s brief BBC interview with the Smashing Pumpkins last Wednesday:

Zane Lowe: Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlin, we’re catching up with you right now. Of course you’ve got some more shows in the UK to get through - Nottingham Arena, Manchester M.E.N., and then London O2 Arena as well. Just quickly - how was Glasgow, was that fun?

Billy Corgan: We played in, like, a car factory or something? I joked during the show last night that maybe after the show we could all get together and build a green-sensitive car.
Jimmy Chamberlin: I think it was Jackie Stewart’s old garage or something where we played.

ZL: You need to talk to your promoter, guys. You need to have a word because you shouldn’t be playing those kinds of places. I was looking at the setlist that you guys had in Paris recently - one of the ones that was online. It really covers the length and breadth of your entire recording career. It must be quite difficult for you though to satisfy yourselves on a nightly basis, let alone the audience out there. You can never keep everybody 100% happy - there’s always going to be people who have favorites.

BC: Oh, that’s the Pumpkins though. Being in this band is to accept that somebody goes home unhappy. We used to get off on that, but now actually we feel sad about that. We wish there was a way to get the balance right, but it’s just impossible. But just to diverge for a second: what we are talking about doing, because we’re going to finally start releasing a lot of archival stuff at the end of this year, we’re going to start doing tours that are focused on particular periods. So we’ll go out and actually do a tour where we’ll say, “Okay, we’re only going to play songs from the beginning of the band through Gish.” We’ll probably play fairly small places and charge good tickets, so you’re going to have to be a fan if you want to come, but it will really be a great chance to revisit those times. We’re really excited about that. I think that’s going to be fantastic.

ZL: That sounds amazing, that sounds really amazing. Apart from that, in terms of future music as well, you’ve got American Gothic - we’re going to get to that in a second. Are you guys talking about a forthcoming album?

BC: Jimmy, you want to let any secrets out?

ZL: Yes, Jimmy, you do is the answer to that question.

JC: We’re actually pretty full-tilt into the future right now. We’re in the process of buying a space in Chicago. We’re going to build another…what would be “Pumpkinland 2.0.”

BC: What we’re talking about doing is, rather than go away for awhile and then release a pile of music, we’re actually going to release the album as we make it. So we’re talking about making an album, say, over the course of three years, and try to come up with a level of work of a Siamese Dream or Mellon Collie where we really go as far out as we can go and really explore all the different areas of the band. So we’ll sort of record for awhile, put some stuff out, tour a little bit, so that way we won’t disappear because we never liked that. We don’t like the disappearing for 18 months and scratching our heads wondering if anyone is even going to like what we’re doing.

ZL: The new EP is called American Gothic and we’re gonna play “The Rose March” right now. It’s been really nice catching up with you on the phone. Don’t be a stranger for so long again or else I’ll start to take it personally!

BC+JC: *laugh*, exeunt
NICE.

-Tours specific to a certain era of the band.
-Archival stuff.
-Another Pumpkinland in the works.
-Recording songs as they are made.

All very nice things to hear. It's almost like Billy listened to a lot of complaints by fans that he was too obsessed with the production on some songs he's done recently. It SEEMS like they've done a lot of listening, anyway. Not to long ago Billy said stuff like "don't expect 1990" and now he's talking about Gish tours.

FMT: I have no idea. Lurk around on Netphoria, that's what I do. Or if you want to be subjected to random trolling, register (never ever post there) :p

holy shit @ that news

pumpkins are going to be scoring some decent scratch off me if they're going to do tour specific dates. who am i kidding, i would pay to see them regardless of time period

i love you pumpkins!

Top Bottom