• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Macam

Banned
BC: What we’re talking about doing is, rather than go away for awhile and then release a pile of music, we’re actually going to release the album as we make it. So we’re talking about making an album, say, over the course of three years, and try to come up with a level of work of a Siamese Dream or Mellon Collie where we really go as far out as we can go and really explore all the different areas of the band.

Diablos, you made my day. That quote right there is all I've ever wanted from them. I absolutely love the range of the band and the only thing that ever killed me was people incessantly asking them to repeat Siamese to no end and having to wait between albums. Frankly, I don't care what they charge for tickets, as I'll gladly pay it.

Oreoleo

Diablos said:
NICE.

-Tours specific to a certain era of the band.
-Archival stuff.
-Another Pumpkinland in the works.
-Recording songs as they are made.

Some of the best news I've heard in a while. Been kinda down about the band lately, but Billy seems pretty excited about things. Funny how he sort of conceded that Zeitgeist wasn't a fantastic album, you don't get stuff like that out of him a lot.

he didn't say zeitgeist sucked, he just said it was no The Wall. zeitgeist has plenty of instant classics though (7 shades, tarantula, starz, united states, bring the light, come on lets go)

Macam

Banned
From their MySpace page:

The Smashing Pumpkins new video for "Superchrist" will be available for view tomorrow exclusively on Myspace.com. It will be a featured video as well as available for view through the Smashing Pumpkins' official Myspace page.

To see some exclusive stills, check out the new photos uploaded to the SP myspace.

well the superchrist video is up. here are some thoughts:

1. video is pretty crappy
2. why is billy hanging out with all these old fucking hippies?
3. the AOL Sessions version (Live) is superior in nearly everyway. and by nearly everyway i mean in everyway.

Fireblend

Banned
Haven't read the thread, but they're coming to Costa Rica soon; might go see them. They're not among my favorite bands but I guess they're pretty decent :D

Diablos

Superchrist: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=29097011

If you felt that Zeitgeist was too overproduced or whatever, you might like this. It's raw. It seems like they just plugged in, played their parts and called it a wrap. I hope their next album takes this apporach. It's "naked". Chamberlin's drumming is especially nice (to be expected).

The lyrics are crap. "Love is his faith." LOL.

Who are the old hippies?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Saxon
http://www.skysunlightsaxon.com/

Diablos

2294274071_da4feb1003.jpg

It's-a-me, Jeffio!

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Time for a new avatar, that's just too funny

Diablos

http://forums.netphoria.org/showpost.php?p=3188819&postcount=23

I guess this is the most interesting stuff that we talked about. I walked into the airport and saw the band and the crew waiting at the gate. It was about 40 minutes before the boarding time. Nearly panicked but tried to play it cool, went over to say hello and thank them for last nights show and mentioned that I'll be in Helsinki too, to which Billy said that "sorry it's going to be the same show" jokingly. They seemed to be in a good mood and willing to talk to me. We talked about traveling, early flights, kids (Jimmy and I both have kids who turn 2 this month), Finland, some old shows etc.

Someone asked what I thought of the gong at the beginning of Superchrist. They said that Jimmy just had to get a gong for that part, everyone seemed to think it was really funny... I said it was awesome, but should've been bigger, like Led Zeppelin... Jimmy said that the small one sounds better... they joked around saying that JC is the only one who would choose a gong based on the sound. Apparently it's really loud.

Billy asked if I'd seen the Superchrist video and what I thought about it. I said that I'd seen it and thought it was funny, something different from usual boring band videos. He then said "so you got it?". I said yeah, it's kind of a joke. He said that their "label used to pay 800k for a video during Mellon Collie days but there's not that kind of money anymore and then people bitch on the internet and don't get it that it's an obvious joke and expect the same kind of videos... And they don't even pay for the music anymore (laughs)"

Billy started talking about what they're going to do next. They're gonna start putting out their archives, starting with some Gish/pre-Gish stuff. They don't have a record contract anymore, so they're gonna put them out the way they want. He said that Warner was really bad, no promotion for Zeitgeist especially in europe, the same with Zwan and the solo album. Emi was really good but Warner has been horrible. They own their own catalog now, can make whatever kind of cd/packages they like, for example everything from the size of booklet (mentioned American Gothic) had to be approved by label previously. So there hasn't been much freedom. But now he seemed really excited about the future.

To go along with the first deluxe edition (he mentioned like 89 stuff, demos etc) they're gonna play a Gish tour. Playing the same kind of shows that they played during that era, not only Gish stuff, but some early songs (again mentioned 89)
, plus I think he meant Geek, Silverfuck etc. He also mentioned that they actually played Geek, I Am One and Bury Me at the Stockholm soundcheck. I asked if they want to play those in Helsinki, but no luck...

They hope to do the same also for Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie, release some rare stuff and play shows of those eras, he mentioned that it will be fun to play songs like Silverfuck, since they were very different from the SD era to the 45 minute Mellon Collie versions.

He also talked about the current setlist, that it was the first time they actually have a set that they designed to appeal to both hardcore fans and the casual fans who want the hits. Anyway, he said that the Gish tour will be for the hardcore fans, smaller shows, more expensive tickets, so the casual fans wont be there... there will be about 20 shows in us / europe combined, so it will be only like London, Paris and something else in Europe. This will be late in the year or possibly early next year.

Once they were about to start letting people in the plane I stood in the line before Jeff and talked to him about how it's been for him playing in SP. He seems like a really nice guy and enjoys playing in the pumpkins. Talked about the tour so far, he said that they are definitely much better band now than they were last summer.

We mostly talked about general stuff (traveling, airports, what's there to do in Helsinki, Ice-hockey, etc) He said that there's no tour plans for the summer, Billy is going to start writing/recording some new stuff. I asked if the new guys are involved, he said that he's "going to help Billy as much as needed."

w00t

keep in mind that ALOT of what billy says doesn't go through. I'm not saying a lot of the proposed stuff is BS, but don't get your hopes up.

like the part about releasing albums in segments - he's been talking about doing that since machina, and of course it never happened.

Diablos

The interview with Butch is interesting. He seems to complain more about Kurt's attitude than Billy's... I figured it would have been the other way around.

It's very interesting how he shines some light on the subject of Corgan ignoring everyone else in the studio. According to Vig, during even Siamese Dream, the band members were very vocal about how songs were to sound. Even if they (James and Darcy) didn't record the final track, they contributed to making the album sound the way it did because of what they suggested and even argued about.

Also, Chamberlin did 20 takes of Cherub Rock and they ended up picking the second one because he nailed it that easily. :lol

I'm so pumped to watch the Pumpkins live here in Costa Rica. I've been listening to all their albums I have non-stop. I still can't believe I'm going to watch them perform. WOOOOOOOOO!!!! :D

AirBrian

BatiGOOOOOOL said:
I'm so pumped to watch the Pumpkins live here in Costa Rica. I've been listening to all their albums I have non-stop. I still can't believe I'm going to watch them perform. WOOOOOOOOO!!!! :D
A Pumpkins fan? Bati, you're OK in my book even though you like the Spurs! :p

Diablos

Smashing Pumpkins Entering the Studio to Plot Their Next Move

Posted Mar 19th 2008 3:30PM by John D. Luerssen
Filed under: News, Exclusive

The Smashing Pumpkins will begin recording new material later this spring, according to drummer Jimmy Chamberlin, but fans looking for a proper follow-up album to last year's 'Zeitgeist' may be out of luck.

"It's something we're going to get to on May 1st," Chamberlin tells Spinner. "We just bought a building, and my wife and I are in the process of moving back to Chicago. Billy [Corgan] and I are going to start working every day like we used to.

"But I don't think we will make records again," the drummer explains, pointing out that the band's contractual commitment to Reprise Records is finished. "I look at it like the old business model is dead and the music business doesn't know how to move forward. We want to keep things vital and keep things viable and get our music across while remaining relevant. Music has in many ways just become an advertisement for your tour.

"I think what we'll do is start releasing songs," Chamberlin continues. "The record or CD format places too many limitations on your piece of art. People just don't buy records anymore. Anyone under the age of 24 just buys songs. It's just in our best interest to release blocks of songs. And I think what we'll do – not to let the cat out of the bag too much – is to create the framework where we can release a number of songs and maybe create a title. We can gather three or four songs, but it will all flow up to a larger body of work. But to call it record in the traditional sense would be anachronistic."

As for the material, the recently released stripped-down EP 'American Gothic' "is not an indication of the direction," Chamberlin says. "That was more of an experiment that Billy and I wanted to do. We wanted to see what it would sound like if we gave ourselves four days to record a song, like in the old days. And I think what we learned from that experience we'll bring to the new material.

"But the direction we're going in is grander, as opposed to the stripped-down sound we just did," Chamberlin continues. "I want it to be full tilt. I'd like to go bigger. And I think the next time the Pumpkins tour, you'll see a big stage presence with eight to ten people as opposed to just five."

smashing-pumpkins-200-031908.jpg

Sooo, no more records. PERIOD? That's balls.
Also, 8-10 people on stage?! The only way to truly recreate the Siamese Dream sound... :lol

ATF487

Friggin, the album isn't dead, just the normal physical distribution of it is. Ash is apparently doing the same thing, and I don't understand it...

If they want to do EPs, that's ok, because it's still a normal theme even if it's smaller in scope. If they just do singles though, I'll be pissed

Diablos

I've heard that Billy and Jimmy are very upset at how Zeitgeist was marketed. Apparently there being 1000 different versions of it was something out of their control, but they can't talk about it. However, to go from releasing all those albums to saying you won't release any is a pretty strong statement, and does seem to support the idea that they were not pleased with all of the different versions of Zeitgeist.

Dead

well not really...yet
Diablos said:

Also, 8-10 people on stage?! The only way to truly recreate the Siamese Dream sound... :lol
That's intereting

Matt Bellamy from Muse pretty much hinted the same thing some time ago, that they'd try for releases other than traditional albums. I think I read somewhere that Ash are doing the same thing too.

I think a lot more bands are going to be trying stuff like in coming times...

Diablos

It's a waste of fucking money. I don't even know where all of my Smashing Pumpkins CD's are. Hell, I don't know where most of ANY of my CD's are. They're all on my external hdd. :p

The only benefit to there still being a release to CD is artwork and the like (if it's GOOD), and, the fact that you have a lossless copy of the album. That said, 95% of the time I am listening to lossy mp3's, so I really shouldn't bitch.

Dead

well not really...yet
Diablos said:
It's a waste of fucking money. I don't even know where all of my Smashing Pumpkins CD's are. Hell, I don't know where most of them are. They're all on my external hdd. :p

The only benefit to there still being a release to CD is artwork and the like (if it's GOOD), and, the fact that you have a lossless copy of the album. That said, 95% of the time I am listening to lossy mp3's, so I really shouldn't bitch.
The last time I was in a music store I saw a full shelf of these new "Card" albums. You pretty much buy the Card and it has the info on the back to download the album and the booklet in pdf on the internet.

I mean, with ridiculous shit like that I understand why some bands feel that the concept of an "album" is getting cheapened and becoming more irrelevant, and trying to find new ways to distribute music...

Macam

Banned
Diablos said:

8-10 probably sounds like more than it is. After all, they had 6 people on stage when they did their big comeback show last June and were playing Gossamer with Uli Jon Roth. I'm curious to see exactly what comes out of all this talk though because while the ideas certainly sound good to me, BC & JC talk too much for my tastes; needs more music:)

Boooo.

I still buy albums. I shop at my record store three or four times a month. I know I'm the dinosaur, but I HATE DIGITAL DOWNLOADS. PHYSICAL MEDIA FOR LIFE.

Zep

Banned
No more 3DD links or talk, they suck now. Im all about <3 <---now

Anywho, Tonight Tonight is probably one of the best instrumentals i've ever heard yet Billy sings and made it suck.

Is there a instrumental of this anywhere? I would love to have it and add it to my PS3.

oh zep!

i have a pseudo-instrumental of tonight, tonight which is simply a mellon collie demo. it is indeed tonigh tonight and without vocals, but it's not the exact same as the album version. you know where to find me if you want it sugartits

Seth C

Diablos said:
I've heard that Billy and Jimmy are very upset at how Zeitgeist was marketed. Apparently there being 1000 different versions of it was something out of their control, but they can't talk about it. However, to go from releasing all those albums to saying you won't release any is a pretty strong statement, and does seem to support the idea that they were not pleased with all of the different versions of Zeitgeist.

I think they'll end up releasing these "packages" of songs, and then once they have enough of them they will release "compilations" of them. Probably with an additional track or two "not available anywhere else!"

Zep

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
oh zep!

i have a pseudo-instrumental of tonight, tonight which is simply a mellon collie demo. it is indeed tonigh tonight and without vocals, but it's not the exact same as the album version. you know where to find me if you want it sugartits

well...make yourself available! I'll wait!

I'm thinking about selling my Smashing Pumpkins collection as I need some money for an engagement ring purchase. I have literally every album and single available, outside of Zeitgeist. I also have the pretty rare "Siamese Singles" boxed set on vinyl. If anyone is interested in any of it before I toss it up on eBay feel free to send me a PM.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080325/ap_on_en_mu/people_smashing_pumpkins

Smashing Pumpkins suing Virgin Records.

LOS ANGELES - The Smashing Pumpkins are suing Virgin Records, saying the record label has illegally used their name and music in promotional deals that hurt the band's credibility with fans.
ADVERTISEMENT

In a breach-of-contract lawsuit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court on Monday, the rockers said they have "worked hard for over two decades to accumulate a considerable amount of goodwill in the eyes of the public," and that Virgin's use of the band in a "Pepsi Stuff" promotion with Amazon.com and Pepsi Co. threatens their reputation for "artistic integrity."

Virgin released the Smashing Pumpkins' music for more than 17 years, but the only active agreement between the two parties, the lawsuit claims, is a deal granting Virgin permission to sell digital downloads of the band's songs. The agreement does not give Virgin the right to use the band in promotional campaigns to sell outside products, the lawsuit said.

The band members said they would "never grant such authority to Virgin, or any other entity."

An after-hours call to Virgin Records wasn't immediately returned.

The lawsuit demands that Virgin pay with the profits earned in the promotion and asks for an injunction against using the Pumpkins' name or music in the future.

is it confirmed that Wishing You Were is an early version of For Martha? came up on my mp3 player and ive heard WYW before but for some reason im just noticing the obvious similarities :lol

Diablos

Interview pertaining to the lawsuit:

Corgan's Fury: Exclusive Q&A

The Smashing Pumpkins leader sounds off on his label lawsuit and the state of the record industry

EVAN SERPICK

Posted Mar 26, 2008 3:40 PM

This week, the Smashing Pumpkins filed a breach-of-contract lawsuit against their former label, Virgin Records, alleging the band's name was used without permission for a Pepsi promotion. Band leader Billy Corgan called up Rolling Stone from a bathroom in Australia to explain his side of the story and wound up dishing dirt on his career, explaining how the Pumpkins will release music in the future and offering an opinionated take on Amy Winehouse, Radiohead and the state of the record industry: "I don't think the Beatles would be making an album right now."

Tell us about your personal perspective on this lawsuit.
We've been treated very poorly by [Virgin] as a label for years now. Even when we were going to put the band back together, we went to them for the umpteenth time and said, look, it's a natural thing to want to put out a best of, and they keep telling us nobody cares. And then to turn around and use us like this against our will obviously shows you how full of shit they are, because obviously you have value or they wouldn't be trying to make money on you on the side. And in our case we actually have the right to say no to these types of things. They had to ask our permission to put our music on iTunes. So this is just them getting really sneaky trying to push stuff through, because the only place they're going to get money now is from corporate sponsors.

And look, it's no secret that the record labels are out of touch. They've lost money continuously for seven or eight years and they continue to hold on to the Titanic. This is just another indication of them thinking that they can get away with whatever because they're the big old record business. You know, Josh Homme from Queens [of the Stone Age] came out talking about Interscope, Trent Reznor ... It's a very difficult position because whether it's blogs or people posting on Web sites, fans can get very frustrated about what they perceive about how you do your business, not being aware of how we continually have a gun pointed at our head.

Did you approach the label with your concerns before filing the suit?
No, because it's like talking to a brick wall. These people, they treat your music like it's worthless and they treat you like you're even more worthless. And that goes for our current label, Warner Bros., too. There's no passion. There's no love. There's no respect. It's just, like you're just a number. You might as well be some cookies, or a rock. I really think it's total arrogance on their part. I think they just thought they could get away with [using our music for the Pepsi promotion] and we wouldn't do anything about it. And luckily enough we have the ability to do something about it.

Do you have thoughts about how to go forward with your music and how to release it?
The first thing we're talking about doing is in essence not doing an album that has any walls. So we'll release the album in different forms in different places. Not just one CD with twelve songs. Our next album might be forty songs. Now, to the mainstream person, that's too many songs. So maybe you only give them one or two songs at a time. And then I think what's cool is you can deal with different people. You can do a deal with a skater Web site or you can work with Pepsi if you choose.

The music business has sown the seeds for it's own destruction here. So we're not in any hurry to go back and help save them. Warner Bros. treats us like we're from another planet. We've had a good record and we've sold records. And I haven't spoken to the label president since 2005. Now we're free, we're out of our contracts. So I think that makes us really dangerous, because we really are the kind of band that's willing to take chances. We really will work with anybody if we feel it's a cool, fun thing. And it doesn't have to always be about money.

Trent Reznor and Radiohead and all kinds of people have been jumping out of the major label system and doing things their own way. Can the labels survive?

Well, as long as they have young dumb bands who are willing to sign their lives away, yeah, of course. The label's going to continue to sell them that they're star makers. They're not star makers. Stars are born. MTV and the labels and secret people you don't know about don't run the music business any more. MySpace runs the music business now. Lots of other people run the music business now.

So it's safe to say that now that you are free of your contracts you're not going to be rushing to sign a new deal?

Well, I think it's kind of interesting and it's a vulnerable thing to say: People aren't beating our doors down to sign us, either. It's not that we're not desirable. We're not dumb. They're not going to be able to sell us their soap they're going to sell a twenty-two-year-old. And that's why they don't want to do business with us.

They're still trying to sell you on the idea that they know something that you don't know. But if you look at the numbers, they don't, they know less than the consumer. The consumer's been telling them for ten years they don't want albums. So what do they do? They continue to try to sell them albums. The consumer says that they don't want to pay $15 for fifteen songs when they only want one song. What do they try to do? They try to shove albums down their throat.

A lot of artists love the album form or have some connection to it. Is it going to bother you to be more single-focused?

No, we're still going to do albums. I think we're going to do it in a different way. I can tell that our plans right now are to do an album over two or three years and put it out in pieces and then maybe eventually bring it all back together. The album doesn't have to be perfect. It doesn't have to be ten songs. Some dumb white guy somewhere doesn't have to like it. Some old fart, out-of-touch has to decide, oh, these ten songs aren't as good as Sgt. Pepper's. Well, you know what? I don't think the Beatles would be making an album right now.

Artists are finding their own ways to get paid outside of the major-label system, like the Eagles with their Wal-Mart deal, Madonna signing up with Live Nation.

I think it's really difficult for the young artist, who doesn't have at least some sense of a pathway. For example, if you were a kid today and you're looking at the bands who are successful right now, you think, if you don't sort of sell out and let somebody make you a star, go on American Idol, then you can't be successful. Alternative culture is really critical towards introducing new ideas. We need those young bands to push old band like us, to push new boundaries. We need our butts kicked regularly. That's where all the energy comes from, from the bottom. And when the message on Amy Winehouse is drama is better than music, and for Radiohead publicity is better than music — no disrespect to them. But I think it's a bad message to young bands of how to make it happen. It's almost like the evil stepchild of the rap bling-bling thing, like, the only way to make it work is I've got to come up with a gimmick.

Selling out has lost its negative stereotype in a sense.
We can all talk forever about how cool it is and how things are different: The power's coming back to the artist. But sometimes it takes an oppositional force to make things work. The old music business wasn't great but at least it kind of gave you something to kind of work with or against. Now, who do you work for and who do you work against? The great example is American Idol. I mean, who gets bigger marketing, whose TV show is bigger? And then those artists don't sell. There's a complete disconnect between the drama of the show, the emotional connection with the singers, and then absolutely no care for their musical career. I mean, that's troubling.

Right, because, like you say, it's not really about the music at the end of the day.
Right. And as an alternative artist, we're still here because it is about the music. And anybody can point to any other 9,000 stupid things I've said or done. The music still trumped any of those things. So I can sit here at my rosy age and know that that's why we're here, because the music has held us in good stead with a lot of people around the world.

Speaking of the music, could you talk about new single "Superchrist"? Is that indicative of what you guys might be working on next?

I think that's the band, me, whomever, back in free territory. I think, if I was a fan of the Pumpkins, the great frustration is, where's that energy that used to be there? We made the video for $5,000. We spent our own money to record the song. We did it our own way. There was nobody standing there and there was no timetable. We just put it out when we wanted. It was great. I think that's where the band belongs.

Coming back, we didn't really know what to expect. It's a weird world. I mean, we never said we were bringing the original band back. And then people were saying, oh, it's not the original band. Well, we tried. I mean, what are we supposed to do? Stay home? You're dealing with ideas and opinions and disappointments that aren't yours. And there's not much you can do about them. We've rebelled for years. It's just that we've been quietly rebelling in a system that didn't give us a lot of options.

Is there a moment you can pinpoint that demonstrates your mistreatment at the hands of a label?
I'll give you my favorite line of the past three years. I was talking to the label president from Warner Bros., Tom Walley, and we were having a call. They were actually thinking about dropping us, which in retrospect probably would have been good. I was in Arizona, we were starting to write the album, and so I said things are going great. And he said, "What's the difference between Zwan and Smashing Pumpkins?" And I was like, what do you say? What do you say to a brick wall? What's the difference between your side band and the band that was your blood and your sweat and your heart for fourteen years? So we're out of Purgatory. And we're excited now.
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/19801847/corgans_fury_exclusive_qa/print

Honestly, fuck Virgin. They sued SP in the 90's for basically not releasing double albums every five minutes, among other stupid things. It's about time Billy throws it back at them.

btw, James Iha turned 40 on the 26th.

fp5ll1.jpg

Looking a bit older. Happy Birthday, James... wherever you are, whatever you're doing. Also, Billy turned 41 on St. Patrick's Day.

Oreoleo

Diablos said:
Honestly, fuck Virgin. They sued SP in the 90's for basically not releasing double albums every five minutes, among other stupid things.

Link? That's the first I've heard anything like that. They got into it legally with Sharon Osbourne after she quit (or fired?) from her position as their manager but, they weren't contractually obligated to release double albums. That's stupid. If that were the case why didn't they release Machina II? I'm not saying Virgin was a super happy awesome label to be on, but i don't think they SUED the Pumpkins. That doesn't make sense.

virgin did sue the pumpkins, but i can't remember why.

also, virgin released the pumpkins greatest hits record without really consulting the band at all. this is why you see things like drown missing the ending as well as the aeorplane flies high (from judas O) missing the ending portion.

Diablos

Orellio said:
Link? That's the first I've heard anything like that. They got into it legally with Sharon Osbourne after she quit (or fired?) from her position as their manager but, they weren't contractually obligated to release double albums. That's stupid. If that were the case why didn't they release Machina II? I'm not saying Virgin was a super happy awesome label to be on, but i don't think they SUED the Pumpkins. That doesn't make sense.
They basically forced SP to sign a contract dictating that they record ___ songs and release them across ___ albums. I don't know of any article, since it's been years.

Dear Pumpkins,

Where is Gossamer? You promised.

Love,

FMT

p.s. and i know Signal to Noise exists, otherwise how would The Most Dangerous Race cover it? I want that too, although you never promised.

Macam

Banned
Diablos said:
SP covers The Church:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcmLveEXfA4

"stevekibley2" who comments is actually Steve Kibley, and he loves the cover, heh.

Awesome little cover. I sure wish artists' promises of putting songs out via digital distribution at a whim would come true some day, because with all the covers and b-sides SP is putting out of late, Billy could afford himself a whole new set of dresses (or whatever the hell he's wearing).

Top Bottom