• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
just got back from seeing them at V festival in Perth a few hours ago. awesome to begin with, some great songs including acoustic version of 1979 which was just amazing, but towards the end of the show it kinda lost momentum with all this guitar-effect wankery that went on.... and on.... and on.... until the energy from the first 3/4 of the show was totally lost. was on a high seeing a band that for many years was my absolute favourite, but that kinda killed the excitement for me :( still, overall a solid show..

Diablos

I love all of that heavy use of effects guitar wankery shit. :D

I've heard the new version of United States and it's pretty tripped out. Some people aren't into that, though.

Macam

Banned
The "guitar wankery" is one of the best parts. It's just a nice way to slow down the set without having to reach into the well of slower songs while revamping some older songs. I find it a nice way to space out after the adrenaline of the sets -- and they usually pick up the pace right after.

Shoho

Banned
Hello. I just recently got into Smashing Pumpkins. I love the song "tonight, tonight". the video is awesome too.

do they have any songs that are similiar to it.

I like the song, because its somewhat easy to understand the lyrics, but it also feels classic with its use of instrument, and yet, the song has some hard guitar/drum use. the singing is kinda pop.. but also kinda grungy and course and dark and edgy. I really like it.

I havent really found other songs by them I like so far, but its a great song, and its seriously one of the best music videos I have ever seen. really incredible.

Oreoleo

Shoho said:
Hello. I just recently got into Smashing Pumpkins. I love the song "tonight, tonight". the video is awesome too.

do they have any songs that are similiar to it.

I like the song, because its somewhat easy to understand the lyrics, but it also feels classic with its use of instrument, and yet, the song has some hard guitar/drum use. the singing is kinda pop.. but also kinda grungy and course and dark and edgy. I really like it.

I havent really found other songs by them I like so far, but its a great song, and its seriously one of the best music videos I have ever seen. really incredible.

I'd recommend the singles (ie, the entire EP) from Mellon Collie. Specifically Bullet With Butterfly Wings, 1979 and Tonight Tonight. 20 songs between the 3 and I'm SURE you will find something to enjoy. Nothing as bombastic as Tonight Tonight but excellent and distinctive songs nonetheless.

Here's a link for more info: http://www.spfc.org/songs-releases/discog.html?discog_id=25

Shoho

Banned
Macam said:
Stand Inside Your Love is probably the next closest thing I can think of offhand that's similar in sound and has an equally compelling, if somewhat stranger, music video.

Interesting video. A bit on the gloomy side though.

Orellio.. Yeah I have heard 1979 and Butterfly Wings, but they really didn't catch with me all that much:(

Im such a f**king idiot. I am not good at listening to music. Im awful. It's like I need a "pop" voice.. somehow to make me like something, or it has to be attatched to a goddam anime AMV or something. Im not musical, and I am not good at understanding what a good guitar riff is or a good drum beat.. Im very casual and ignorant like a party whore who thinks Britney and other stuff like that is the most talented and deep music there is.

I dont know how to listen to music. its the same with heavy and all does weird canadian bands like Yeah Yeah Yeahs, God speed you black emperor, Arcade Fire and all does weird rock bands. I want to learn to like them, but I just cant.

I hate myself for being such a commercial steaming pile of dog turd, who cant go deeper than some goddam nickleback or emo / nu metal band like linkin park, my cehmical romance, coheed and cambria, green day or something like that. It pisses me off.

Maybe im just to fucking dumb. maybe that its it. There is no learning. there is no effort in understanding it. Im just retarded.. with dylexia.. which I cant spell. like my brain is a cucomber in pickle size but without the sour taste. And now im babbling about shit again... goddamit.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
When ever I think of Tonight Tonight I always seem to think about Thirty Three as well. I don't know why though. There is also a Tonight Tonight "remix" called Tonight Reprise on Disk 4 of The Aeroplane Flies High. Disarm is another one that I guess might be similar too.

OT: weird, I type in Youtube.com and I go to the UK Youtube but I'm in America.

Oreoleo

Shoho said:
Orellio.. Yeah I have heard 1979 and Butterfly Wings, but they really didn't catch with me all that much:(

You misunderstand me. I meant for you to listen to the EP's for each of the singles from Mellon Collie that each contain 5 or 6 songs that AREN'T on the album. They're b-sides.

http://www.spfc.org/songs-releases/discog.html?discog_id=25 <---LOOK

Edit: The covers on the BWBW EP are all really good. Accessible in their own right, but SP turned them around enough to make them their own. And they cover a lot of different styles too. Ditto for the 1979 EP.

Diablos

Shoho said:
Interesting video. A bit on the gloomy side though.

Im such a f**king idiot. I am not good at listening to music. Im awful. It's like I need a "pop" voice.. somehow to make me like something, or it has to be attatched to a goddam anime AMV or something. Im not musical, and I am not good at understanding what a good guitar riff is or a good drum beat.. Im very casual and ignorant like a party whore who thinks Britney and other stuff like that is the most talented and deep music there is.

I dont know how to listen to music. its the same with heavy and all does weird canadian bands like Yeah Yeah Yeahs, God speed you black emperor, Arcade Fire and all does weird rock bands. I want to learn to like them, but I just cant.

I hate myself for being such a commercial steaming pile of dog turd, who cant go deeper than some goddam nickleback or emo / nu metal band like linkin park, my cehmical romance, coheed and cambria, green day or something like that. It pisses me off.

Maybe im just to fucking dumb. maybe that its it. There is no learning. there is no effort in understanding it. Im just retarded.. with dylexia.. which I cant spell. like my brain is a cucomber in pickle size but without the sour taste. And now im babbling about shit again... goddamit.
Wow :lol :lol :lol

Don't be so hard on yourself. Obviously you want to branch out; if you've been listening to sugar coated pop most of your life, it will take time to get into different things...

Macam

Banned
Shoho: You don't need to learn to like anything. If you want to try and find some non-commercial music you might like, start digging around (www.pandora.com, iTunes' free genre-sorted radio stations, etc.). That's all there is to it.

05_Corgan_HH_(c)TimmoSchreiber_small.jpg

Macam

Banned
Diablos said:
Oh, hey, found just the thing for you!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HQeTaX6Xawg

SP with a poppy voice! :lol

That was...painful. Am I correct in surmising that the music video interpretation was about a poor, classy girl not fitting in with fellow trendy 20-somethings? I think the most lax version I've heard was from the Billy's Home Demos/MCIS Demos album, which basically had BC singing the chorus like a 15-year old girl, but it still didn't sound anywhere near as sleep inducing as Snell's version.

I remember a friend once saying he just couldn't get into SP because of Billy's nasal voice (understandable), and he really didn't like Tonight, Tonight in particular because of it. Instead, he suggested, being the Pearl Jam nut that he was (yay, PJ!), that it would've been better had Eddie Vedder sung it, but somehow I think that wouldn't quite have had the same vibe.

Diablos

Yeah, this one actually isn't bad, to be honest.

The studio version is on the single for her FFXII song, of all things. Heh.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Macam said:
The "guitar wankery" is one of the best parts. It's just a nice way to slow down the set without having to reach into the well of slower songs while revamping some older songs. I find it a nice way to space out after the adrenaline of the sets -- and they usually pick up the pace right after.

yeah, just didn't do it for me this time... maybe i have ADD :)

it was pretty tripped out finally seeing the pumpkins on stage after all these years - i missed them when they toured here 13 years ago!

i was watching a couple live performances of tarantula and want to know why they can't replicate the song live like they have it on record. they just leave out 2 or 3 of the solos (instead of soloing, corgan just plays the chords). is he just lazy or was he actually using 3 guitars in the song on record?

Diablos

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i was watching a couple live performances of tarantula and want to know why they can't replicate the song live like they have it on record. they just leave out 2 or 3 of the solos (instead of soloing, corgan just plays the chords). is he just lazy or was he actually using 3 guitars in the song on record?
I think he was using three guitars...

He altered the song slightly for the live show. For example, he extends the solo before the quiet part, to compensate for it not being played earlier, like it is in the studio.

Diablos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT6lPyB9PPo

Never before seen Rhinoceros video from 1989.

I made this video with a college friend for a class in film lighting. My friend went to High School with James. The band was about to release there first album.

We shot it in Oshkosh Wisconsin and Chicago. We got the blurred motion look by shooting 16mm at like 2 or 4 frames per second and the slowing down the playback.

My favorite shot is the one when I walked from across the street into the girls eyes. Almost got hit by a car, but it looks cool.
It is pretty sweet. I'm fairly sure the demo is a version I haven't heard before, either.

dqnas7.png

Diablos

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=158987

Streaming video of fan-based interview in the thread. LOTS of info about upcoming tours, dvd releases, recordings, etc. Really informative.

I asked about "era shows"

I asked about the billboard dates

I asked about possibly doing more residency

I asked about the residency songs

Girls asked about "playing in Japan"

Someone joke to ask about "if they were going come to AU"

my friend Rachel asked about the open taping policy

Someone asked about the 89 Demos being played

I asked about how easy it is for them to get back to playing old songs (mention spiteface and we get into a really weird funny tangent)

FMT should be happy around the 3 minute mark. :D

Oreoleo

20th anniversary shows sound interesting.

And this is what? The 3rd or 4th DVD Billy has mentioned that probably won't get released? Just like the Metro DVD and Billy's solo show from '04.

And I still don't think the era shows are anything more than a pipe dream. "Next year." Yeah right.

Macam

Banned
I'm with Orellio: I'll believe it when I see it. If it comes to fruition though, I'm there. If they actually do future residencies or era shows, that's almost single-handedly worth making a trip to Cali for.

Diablos

Orellio said:
20th anniversary shows sound interesting.

And this is what? The 3rd or 4th DVD Billy has mentioned that probably won't get released? Just like the Metro DVD and Billy's solo show from '04.

And I still don't think the era shows are anything more than a pipe dream. "Next year." Yeah right.
Well he did say he was leaving to go work on the DVD stuff (I believe that's what it was) if I heard correctly.

Also, Billy wants to release the Metro DVD but can't because of Virgin. Well, he could, but he'd have to sign into some other kind of deal with the label in order for that to work. Virgin was not too kind to the Pumpkins throughout the 90's.

I think we will see a small string of era shows. Look at the residency shows... they did like 13 of those in a row. He did say that the fanbase isn't as big as it once was, and so they have to figure out their approach in order to make sure everyone's happy. Billy's a musician with a lot of ideas, he's constantly thinking, so naturally everything he says isn't going to come true. A lot of things have, though. It's just that we're all so spoiled from getting so much extra Pumpkins stuff over the years. :p Compare all the stuff you've been able to get out of this band compared to most others... as a fanbase, we're pretty lucky, even if we want a lot more.

oh, i also wanted to comment that i saw rilo kiley last night and it made me realize how awesome the pumpkins truly are live. i'm not dissing on rilo kiley, they are what they are and i shouldn't be comparing them to SP. but the talent and scope of what billy/jimmy/sp do in a live show is incredible when you compare it to other bands.

the extended versions of songs, the reworking of songs, all of the precise musicianship that goes into every show... the difference really hits home when you see another band.

they put more effort into their live performaces more than almost any other band. that's one thing you have to respect. they could put on halfassed shows but they opt to rehearse non-stop and put on a show that's more than the fan's money worth

Diablos

It's a shame the fanbase has shrunk so much, as Billy even admitted to, though. People have no idea what they're missing. And they really do put a lot into their live show. It's insane. He does make a point: Radiohead is still popular because they're basically getting their asses kissed by everyone. I of course love Radiohead, but it's so true that they are constantly praised and often for no good reason. It's kind of ridiculous.

it is billys own fault if the fanbase has fallen off. you go away for 7 years and you expect it to be as strong as ever? come on dude. more people will get on board with the pumpkins as more good music comes out. but at this time what does he expect? i would say the fanbase they have now is pretty devoted and pretty big considering how long the band has been gone for.

p.s. regarding radiohead: i just don't "get" radiohead. ok computer is one of my top 10 albums ever, but after that they've literally had 5-10 songs i've liked total. whatever though, i guess i can understand the appeal.

Diablos

FrenchMovieTheme said:
it is billys own fault if the fanbase has fallen off. you go away for 7 years and you expect it to be as strong as ever? come on dude. more people will get on board with the pumpkins as more good music comes out. but at this time what does he expect? i would say the fanbase they have now is pretty devoted and pretty big considering how long the band has been gone for.
I was actually referring to the fanbase kind of starting to drop post-MCIS.

SP probably wouldn't have called it quits in 2000 if what they did after MCIS remained successful.

I don't really blame the band for doing Adore, as I think it's a brilliant album, and Adore's tour was just phenomenal.

Now... if you want to put that aside and talk about the 7 year gap, yes, I agree, that was a long time. Also, Billy frolicking off into magical Jesusland is pretty gross. I can't stand it. Still, I'm surprised their return didn't spark more of an interest.

again, billys own fault. he kicked jimmy out of the band and totally shifted directions.

not that i am complaining. i loved what he did. but he knows god damn well what to do if he wanted to keep that major fanbase. but instead he did what he wanted to do.

i saw a quote somewhere in which billy said "i could write 10 songs a day that sound like a "smashing pumpkins" song you've already heard, but that's not what we're about". in other words saying yeah i can probably come up with another zero, another mayo, etc. that will sound similar, but why? it's already there. lets create something new.

if billys main focus is to gain new fans he knows how to do it. i honestly dont think he gives a shit about being the biggest rock band on the planet anymore. pumpkins were for one brief moment the biggest band around, but that time has passed and billy knows it.

p.s. they're still the biggest band around to me though :D

Diablos said:
It's a shame the fanbase has shrunk so much, as Billy even admitted to, though. People have no idea what they're missing. And they really do put a lot into their live show. It's insane. He does make a point: Radiohead is still popular because they're basically getting their asses kissed by everyone. I of course love Radiohead, but it's so true that they are constantly praised and often for no good reason. It's kind of ridiculous.

when it comes to music people sort of operate on a hive mind. radiohead are media darlings and nothing they do will ever get slammed. billy is sort of the jew of modern music and no matter how good a record he puts out people will be shakey in its reception. its just how things will always be.

Diablos

FrenchMovieTheme said:
again, billys own fault. he kicked jimmy out of the band and totally shifted directions.
Whaaaat? Jimmy would be dead if Billy didn't kick him out and you know it. Even Jimmy knows it. At that time, thinking ahead, Billy kicking Jimmy out for a couple years was the best option. The world would have lost an insanely unique and talented drummer who wasn't even at the top of his skill yet.

As far as shafting directions goes, not sure what you meant. Adore still sounds great today, and the tour, as well as the way the band performed during the tour, was pretty much flawless.

not that i am complaining. i loved what he did. but he knows god damn well what to do if he wanted to keep that major fanbase. but instead he did what he wanted to do.
Why? Every other band going with an electronic sound was okay for the mainstream audience, as long as the songs had rapping. He took a risk and it was pretty ballsy of him to more or less shrug it off. I will say that years from now the band will get a lot of credit for doing when they did, when the mainstream finally catches up to the idea bands like SP had about not wanting to rehash the same old things.

i saw a quote somewhere in which billy said "i could write 10 songs a day that sound like a "smashing pumpkins" song you've already heard, but that's not what we're about". in other words saying yeah i can probably come up with another zero, another mayo, etc. that will sound similar, but why? it's already there. lets create something new.
And he has. But to be honest, a lot of songs on Zeitgeist could be on other albums. 7 Shades sounds like something from the Zero EP, Tarantula is like Geek USA meets MCIS, etc. etc.

if billys main focus is to gain new fans he knows how to do it. i honestly dont think he gives a shit about being the biggest rock band on the planet anymore. pumpkins were for one brief moment the biggest band around, but that time has passed and billy knows it.
He can't give a shit, because if he did, he'd go crazy trying to figure out how. I still think Billy should just do a straight up metal album with tons of soloing, screaming, etc. but he's too religious for that now. It's too bad though. I mean if you look at vintage Billy Corgan, the guy in that "Hexen" band shredding his guts out, there's still a lot he could tap into there. A LOT.

Macam

Banned
Tyrone Slothrop said:
they put more effort into their live performaces more than almost any other band. that's one thing you have to respect. they could put on halfassed shows but they opt to rehearse non-stop and put on a show that's more than the fan's money worth.

Amen to that. The closest thing I ever saw to a half-assed show from BC was with Zwan, but it was still a really good show, there just wasn't a lot of non-album material or reworkings in there. Jesus, I and Spilled Milk still rocked.

Diablos: What's the word on the Daydream B-side on the That's the Way single? I noticed it at the record store the other day and my 10 seconds of Googling seemed to confirm my initial hunch that it was a new interpretation of the Gish track, but I haven't actually heard it or done more digging on it.

Whaaaat? Jimmy would be dead if Billy didn't kick him out and you know it. Even Jimmy knows it. At that time, thinking ahead, Billy kicking Jimmy out for a couple years was the best option. The world would have lost an insanely unique and talented drummer who wasn't even at the top of his skill yet.

debateable. maybe jimmy would have straightened out after the shock of having a close friend die. we can't know.

As far as shafting directions goes, not sure what you meant. Adore still sounds great today, and the tour, as well as the way the band performed during the tour, was pretty much flawless.

i love adore, but it's obviously shifting directions. you go from balls to the wall alternative rock of MCIS to an electrice/acoustic hybrid style album with no radio friendly songs (save ava adore).

Why? Every other band going with an electronic sound was okay for the mainstream audience, as long as the songs had rapping. He took a risk and it was pretty ballsy of him to more or less shrug it off. I will say that years from now the band will get a lot of credit for doing when they did, when the mainstream finally catches up to the idea bands like SP had about not wanting to rehash the same old things.

not every other band was the pumpkins. when people thought of the pumpkins it was overpowering alternative rock with heavy guitars and catchy lyrics.

And he has. But to be honest, a lot of songs on Zeitgeist could be on other albums. 7 Shades sounds like something from the Zero EP, Tarantula is like Geek USA meets MCIS, etc. etc.

there will always be a trace of old school pumpkins on every album, but the "feel" of the album is always different in my opinion. in other words, if you pulled out a b-side i've never heard from MCIS, adore, machina, and then zeitgeist, i could probably guess which b-side came from which "era".

He can't give a shit, because if he did, he'd go crazy trying to figure out how. I still think Billy should just do a straight up metal album with tons of soloing, screaming, etc. but he's too religious for that now. It's too bad though. I mean if you look at vintage Billy Corgan, the guy in that "Hexen" band shredding his guts out, there's still a lot he could tap into there. A LOT.

that would be awesome for him to do a metal album. BLACK OBLIVION MY LONG LOST FRIEND!

Diablos

FrenchMovieTheme said:
debateable. maybe jimmy would have straightened out after the shock of having a close friend die. we can't know.
Dude, Jimmy was in serious need of help. His addiction would not go away. If he kept going he would have died. All people close to the band at the time pretty much knew this, it was no secret. I'm pretty sure he acknowledged this himself at one point. He's 43 years old, but his body looks like it's been through a lot, because it has.

i love adore, but it's obviously shifting directions. you go from balls to the wall alternative rock of MCIS to an electrice/acoustic hybrid style album with no radio friendly songs (save ava adore).
Crestfallen, Nightmare and especially Pug were pretty radio friendly in my opinion.

not every other band was the pumpkins. when people thought of the pumpkins it was overpowering alternative rock with heavy guitars and catchy lyrics.
Eh. Mellon Collie had 1979 which is feel-good pop, and Tonight, Tonight which is a far cry from traditional alternative rock.

there will always be a trace of old school pumpkins on every album, but the "feel" of the album is always different in my opinion. in other words, if you pulled out a b-side i've never heard from MCIS, adore, machina, and then zeitgeist, i could probably guess which b-side came from which "era".
Well, yes, because of the production style if anything.

Macam said:
Diablos: What's the word on the Daydream B-side on the That's the Way single? I noticed it at the record store the other day and my 10 seconds of Googling seemed to confirm my initial hunch that it was a new interpretation of the Gish track, but I haven't actually heard it or done more digging on it.
It's just an acoustic version of Daydream, live.

Diablos

Macam said:
So basically, it's this. Not really worth $4;-)
Yep.

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/news_3763

The Smashing Pumpkins will mark their 20th anniversary this September with a special series of shows in New York, Los Angeles and their native Chicago. Frontman Billy Corgan says they want to make "each show special, [so we'll] have special guests at each one." Corgan says the band's first decade was a lot different than the past decade. He tells us, " look at the first 10 years as sort of like a car crash, like whoa, what happened? And the second 10 years has been like rebuilding." --Steve Reynolds

Finally, SP is playing in Chicago.

If they don't play Geek USA, Ruby and I Am One during those shows, they never will. :(

Diablos

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zOcsPmAtUjQ

Interview with Billy and Jimmy after the Hollywood Rock Walk.

They speak pretty fondly of James and Darcy. Also, SP is now a "revolving door" of musicians, like QOTSA. They basically recognize that they will never be able to fully recreate what it was like with James and Darcy so it's not worth bothering with.

Top Bottom