• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Metroid (VC) Thread of Best Game Ever Made

rhino4evr

traveler said:
You see, that's the problem I had. I lost interest in SOTN extremely fast despite the fact I'd never played it. I knew it was the "best iteration" of the formula or whatever, but that really doesn't matter when you've already played the formula (albeit in slightly lesser forms) over and over again. I'm just hoping I don't have this problem with Super Metroid.

I think the main difference in SOTN and SM is that SM has no RPG elements. It's not a huge deal in SOTN, but constantly collecting different armor and items causes the action to slow down a bit. S.Metroid is a pure action/adventure game that is much more exciting (IMO) then any of the castlevania games. I can't see why you wouldn't enjoy it.

If you played Fusion and Zero mission, this will be familiar, but it's still better then both of those games.

This is truly the GAME OF THE FOREVER (sorry Drinky).

The game looks awesome on component out. The sprites are so detailed!

I've been replaying Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission in anticipation of this game, and they're still really good, except for a couple of things:

Lack of buttons.

Seriously, they had to remove the Run button and had to remap the missile select to R, completely ruining the R = Up L = Down that Super Metroid perfected.

It's also hilarious that this is pretty much the only Nintendo game ever to have a control mapping option.

My way to play (which is the best):

Y = Run
X = Shoot
B = Jump
A = Item Cancel
R = Angle Up
L = Angle Down
Select = Item Select

The thing I love about it is you can have the Y button depressed while still able to shoot with X with the rest of your thumb.

RIP R&D1, I'll forever remember your magnum opus.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
SUCK IT KRAID

YEAHHHH YEAHHHHH

VARIA SUIT YEAHHHHH YEAHHHH

the more I play this (first time in YEARS), the more I see how Prime haters hate :lol

Dragona Akehi said:
GIT OUT MAH THREAD

Hey now I like Super Metroid the best still, but Prime rocks. It's like... the same... only from a different perspective, IMO. It retained the atmosphere and overall quality for me.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hey, I LIKE prime...but I see where they are coming from. Not that I totally agree.

But god this is like...LIKE LOOKING INTO THE FACE OF GOD AND SEEING HIM SMILE UPON YOU

Y2Kev said:
Hey, I LIKE prime...but I see where they are coming from. Not that I totally agree.

But god this is like...LIKE LOOKING INTO THE FACE OF GOD AND SEEING HIM SMILE UPON YOU

and you get free boneless buffalo wings and Bud in the process

EktorPR

Linkzg said:
this was the fastest VC game download ive ever had.

Me too! Incredibly fast...like, 20 seconds or something. Ridiculously awesome. :lol

And this game keeps kicking my ass...so great! The music, the atmosphere, the secrets...orgasmic.

oatmeal

Banned
I was just playing and kept messing with the controls...right now I've got Y run, B jump and X shoot...but I'm not liking it that much.

I'm going to load it up on the SNES and see which I like better. I actually think it might be the Diamond of the Classic Controller is too wide. Hmm...I just checked and it's pretty similar.

I don't know, maybe it's just been half a year or so since playing it so my fingers aren't trained.

I'll get it. I'm playing it in widescreen, on a 60" SXRD (the horizontal stretch doesn't bother me in the slightest with ANY of these VC titles) and it's godly.

*drool*

Synless

Linkzg said:
this was the fastest VC game download ive ever had.

and I feel bad for anyone playing with the gamecube controller.

Yea, I was saying that earlier it sucks playing this with the wavebird the buttons are placed to oddly to do anything as well as I could on the Snes. Maybe its time I submit to getting the classic controller :(

oatmeal said:
I was just playing and kept messing with the controls...right now I've got Y run, B jump and X shoot...but I'm not liking it that much.

I'm going to load it up on the SNES and see which I like better. I actually think it might be the Diamond of the Classic Controller is too wide. Hmm...I just checked and it's pretty similar.

I don't know, maybe it's just been half a year or so since playing it so my fingers aren't trained.

I'll get it. I'm playing it in widescreen, on a 60" SXRD (the horizontal stretch doesn't bother me in the slightest with ANY of these VC titles) and it's godly.

*drool*

Just put it to 4:3 for a minute. You'll probably die out of its glory.

Synless said:
Yea, I was saying that earlier it sucks playing this with the wavebird the buttons are placed to oddly to do anything as well as I could on the Snes. Maybe its time I submit to getting the classic controller :(

For 2D games, the CC is completely worth every penny. The only other thing you could do is get a SFC -> GameCube controller adaptor, and sometimes they're a little glitchy.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This pic:

DVrfJVKWw.jpg

Still amazes me.

nategc

Banned
i just picked up a wii at my local gamestop, making this my third and final system. :D

I bought:

reservation on metroid prime 3
2 classic controllers
5 wii points 2000 cards :D

rented:

re 4
super paper mario

downloading:

wave race 64
super mario world
link to the past
metroid
tecmo bowl
paper mario
super mario bros
donkey kong country 2
sonic the hedgehog 2
mystical ninjas
starfox 64
castlevania 4
super metroid
ristar
street fighter 2 turbo
comix zone
shining force

it sound like i got raped but damn the past put a smile on my face, i traded up and took some reservations off my gta 4 and devil may cry preorder in order to snag some wii points :D

man i swear to god the wii is a clusterfuck of awesome.

Synless

nategc said:
i just picked up a wii at my local gamestop, making this my third and final system. :D

I bought:

reservation on metroid prime 3
2 classic controllers
5 wii points 2000 cards :D

rented:

re 4
super paper mario

downloading:

wave race 64
super mario world
link to the past
metroid
tecmo bowl
paper mario
super mario bros
donkey kong country 2
sonic the hedgehog 2
mystical ninjas
starfox 64
castlevania 4
super metroid
ristar
street fighter 2 turbo
comix zone
shining force

it sound like i got raped but damn the past put a smile on my face, i traded up and took some reservations off my gta 4 and devil may cry preorder in order to snag some wii points :D

man i swear to god the wii is a clusterfuck of awesome.

Wow, lol you went to town didn't you? the only system I'm missing now is the 360, I want that damn 65nm chip!!!!!!!!

brandonh83 said:
Hey now I like Super Metroid the best still, but Prime rocks. It's like... the same... only from a different perspective, IMO. It retained the atmosphere and overall quality for me.
I agree. I don't give a fuck what the haters say. The 1st person perspective + visor was the right choice to create such an atmospheric 3D game. Sure, the controls aren't nearly as tight, but 3D has never caught up to 2D when it comes to controls. It's impossible.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Naked Snake said:
What do you mean, you can't play VC games with the Wiimote sideways?

Only NES and some Genesis ones I believe.

nategc

Banned
Synless said:
Wow, lol you went to town didn't you? the only system I'm missing now is the 360, I want that damn 65nm chip!!!!!!!!

hell yea, had too, i never hold back on buying a new console...the only time i did was when i got a used xbox 360 with a warranty but no harddrive. :(

Synless

Dragona Akehi said:
So far (I just got the Super Missiles), it's exactly the same.

I just got the Varia suit I never realized how easy this game is, or maybe I've just played it to many times, lol

Dragona Akehi said:
The game looks awesome on component out. The sprites are so detailed!

Thats great to hear. I have both my Wii and SNES hooked up using component cables (GC component cables work on the SNES) and wanted to do some side by side comparisons of it to see what graphical enhancments if any the implemented.

Synless

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Thats great to hear. I have both my Wii and SNES hooked up using component cables (GC component cables work on the SNES) and wanted to do some side by side comparisons of it to see what graphical enhancments if any the implemented.

It really does look good, I'm running it on a 50" 1080p samsung, and I was scared it would look horrid, but to my surprise it looks glorious.

SuperEnemyCrab said:

Whoa whoa whoa. The SFC should NOT accept a component signal. There aren't enough pins. You should get a blank screen.

Please, let's not have Prime debates in here, this is about Super Metroid. It's Dec 31st, 1994. THERE IS NO METROID PRIME. If you say "Prime", you mean "Optimus Prime".

Now, let's get back to gushing about Super Metroid. You know what I remember from my first time playing? Being amazed when I noticed that Samus facing left and Samus facing right looked different (which is good; she's not symmetrical). This was the first game I ever saw that in, or at least the first I noticed.

Dragona Akehi said:
Whoa whoa whoa. The SFC should NOT accept a component signal. There aren't enough pins. You should get a blank screen.

Its a mad catz 3rd party GC component cable. It does work and it is noticably better than s-video.

Duderz

Banned
Just wanted to reiterate how awesome this game looks in component - the colors really, really pop out.

Man, goosebumps all over seeing Samus like this again. It's been too long!

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Its a mad catz 3rd party GC component cable. It does work and it is noticably better than s-video.

...what? It should still not work. >:p Are you sure you have actual component cables, because these sounds like a S-Video hack or something.

Dragona Akehi said:
...what? It should still not work. >:p Are you sure you have actual component cables, because these sounds like a S-Video hack or something.

Its a cable that has component and s-video connectors, along with RCA audio hook ups. I am for sure using it on the component cables. It might be defaulting to composite video...I have it hooked to a CRT non-HDTV that has component video inputs. I will check more when I get home, but I swear it was working on component only....

Top Bottom