• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Metroid (VC) Thread of Best Game Ever Made

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Its a cable that has component and s-video connectors, along with RCA audio hook ups. I am for sure using it on the component cables. It might be defaulting to composite video...I have it hooked to a CRT non-HDTV that has component video inputs. I will check more when I get home, but I swear it was working on component only....

If it is a component plug, try dropping out two of the three video cables (probably blue and green?); see what happens with only one. It might just be sending a composite signal and avoiding the rest?

Lucky

As someone who never played the original but who has waded through this thread full of *fap* I'm wondering if I would like this game. I was never into Metroid, Castlevania or the like as a kid, so I wonder if I could all of a sudden get into it now.

Bloodwake

Purchase confirmed.

I already played to the charge beam, and I would play through it more if not for the fact I need to go to work.

Aeana

I completely forgot about the
little creatures that show you some 'advanced' techniques in the game, like the 3 little imps that show you how to walljump, and the ostrich thing that shows you the shinespark.
It's been so long since I played this game normally that I'm seeing things I haven't seen in years.

Rindain

Banned
Synless said:
the only system I'm missing now is the 360, I want that damn 65nm chip!!!!!!!!

Anyone know when the 65nm 360's are coming out?

Also, I want to see Crocomire in MP3. Death scene in 3D, bloom-lit glory == chills

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Scrubking said:
Want more what? Overpriced 13-year-old games that are poorly emulated most of the time??

You really burned by the N64 memory cart or what?

At least one thing has remained the same, I hate that bloody section where you have to wall jump. Something so simple yet I always manage to screw it up and get trapped in there for a bit listening to those annoying fucking animals. I always get a frame where it looks like she'll do the jump and then just fall back down.

Edit: I know it's simple tap the opposite direction, but hold down the jump button. I always either just tap both or press and hold both. It's retarded.

Scrubking said:
Want more what? Overpriced 13-year-old games that are poorly emulated most of the time??
$8 is overpriced for Super Metroid? Do you wear potato sacks with holes cut in them for clothes? They could have packaged this for GBA/DS by itself and sold it it for $34.99 and it would have sold hundreds of thousands of copies. If you aren't willing to pay eight bucks for Super Metroid (and you don't already own it), you might as well just give up the hobby.

Furthermore...poorly emulated most of the time? God, there isn't a single title on the VC I would call "poorly" emulated. You guys really need to have been there when SNES9x and ZSnes were just getting going. That's poorly emulated. Some of the 64 games have quirks and there are minor sound issues with the older systems that most people couldn't tell the difference on if they tried, but I don't think you can call these games poorly emulated by any means.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Yeah, is there any particular trick to the wall jumps? I've played through SM a dozen times but I've never been able to do it consistently at all, always had to just bomb my way up at that point.

psy18

Wall jumps are easy. just tap to the opposite direction + jump when you touched the wall.
Zero Mission's wall jump is the same. Forgot about fusion...

Shig said:
Yeah, is there any particular trick to the wall jumps? I've played through SM a dozen times but I've never been able to do it consistently at all, always had to just bomb my way up at that point.

As I said you have to hold the jump button to arc higher while tapping the direction button. You spin jump towards a wall, and then tap the opposite direction while holding the jump button.

Linkhero1

jaundicejuice said:
As I said you have to hold the jump button to arc higher while tapping the direction button. You spin jump towards a wall, and then tap the opposite direction while holding the jump button.
Yeah I figured it a while ago. I used to screw up all the time the first time I played it.

I'd rather tackle the wall jump any day as opposed to that god damn part in God of War when you have to climb the rotating spike towers of dick cancer. Worst collision detection of all time. Seems like all great games just have one or two of those kinds of moments.

Y2Kev said:
SUCK IT KRAID

YEAHHHH YEAHHHHH

VARIA SUIT YEAHHHHH YEAHHHH

the more I play this (first time in YEARS), the more I see how Prime haters hate :lol
I officially crown this the post of the thread.

Also with the wall jump, hesitate on the wall for a split second (as if you're trying to get a good grip on the wall) and it'll be easier to time it that way. If I try and walljump the instant I hit the wall, I'll typically fail but if I hesitate a little it's much easer.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
jaundicejuice said:
Wow, I never knew that. I feel dumb. Did you guys figure this out on your own way back when the game was first released? Nothing in the game or manual really indicated that you had to hold jump...

Shig said:
Wow, I never knew that. I feel dumb. Did you guys figure this out on your own way back when the game was first released? Nothing in the game or manual really indicated that you had to hold jump...

I never did it like that either, I was pressing the jump button on each jump and still pulled it off numerous times. I am all that is man.

Linkhero1

brandonh83 said:
I never did it like that either, I was pressing the jump button on each jump and still pulled it off numerous times. I am all that is man.
Actually now that I think about it I did the same thing. :lol

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Shig said:
You'll see a brief sprite of Samus clinging to the wall when you spin jump into it, and then you just jump in the opposite direction. I first played Super Metroid about six or seven years ago, so I already knew about that trick by then. Wall jumping is great for sequence breaking in this game. Just yesterday I was playing and entered Kraid's lair without the high jump boots.

AniHawk

Y2Kev said:
SUCK IT KRAID

YEAHHHH YEAHHHHH

VARIA SUIT YEAHHHHH YEAHHHH

the more I play this (first time in YEARS), the more I see how Prime haters hate :lol

Yes. Let the hate flow. Become more powerful than you could ever imagine!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
brandonh83 said:
A miserable pile of secrets?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
In a perfect world, the VC re-release of SM will outsell Prime 3, and send Nintendo the message that we want more 2-D Metroid...

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
4u4msgo.gif

jarosh

goddamnit. i need help gaf. can't believe how little i remember of this game...

i'm stuck.

here:

sm1.jpg

sm2.jpg

that blurry green thing on the left in the second pic is one of those little creatures that "show" you how to wall jump. unfortunately i can't wall jump yet. and i can't go back either. the path on the left next to the save station is blocked - can't jump up there, but that's how i came down here. super bombs don't reveal any hidden panels to drop down to the blue area underneath. i bombed everything :/

damn i'm going crazy

*shrugs* It's a great game and all, But I find myself more engrossed in the Prime games, the original especially. It's definitely the best 2D Metroid though.

edit: jarosh, what do you mean you can't wall jump yet? You're able to do so at the very beginning of the game.

Narag

jarosh said:
goddamnit. i need help gaf. can't believe how little i remember of this game...

i'm stuck.

here:

that blurry green thing on the left in the second pic is one of those little creatures that "show" you how to wall jump. unfortunately i can't wall jump yet. and i can't go back either. the path on the left next to the save station is blocked - can't jump up there, but that's how i came down here. super bombs don't reveal any hidden panels to drop down to the blue area underneath. i bombed everything :/

damn i'm going crazy

I thought you could walljump by default. I could be crazy though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Crocomire EAT MY...missiles? fap fap

I haven't actually moved since turning this on. I think I'm gonna take a break now.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Yeah, you can always wall jump. Your little friends there just sort of clue you in on how.

jarosh

haha yeah i thought that too, that i could wall jump from the beginning. but since i failed to do so after countless tries i figured i would only get the ability later... not the case? i CAN wall jump? you guys sure?

edit: okay i'll try that again now

Narag said:
I thought you could walljump by default. I could be crazy though.
You can, it's one of Samus' inherent abilities. The little animals surely "unlocked" the ability for many players years ago by teaching the player how to do it, but you don't need an item to walljump. Just follow what they're doing jar0sh although it's going to need some patience.

jarosh said:
haha yeah i thought that too, that i could wall jump from the beginning. but since i failed to do so after countless tries i figured i would only get the ability later... not the case? i CAN wall jump? you guys sure?

Yup. The key is to press the jump button right after you hit the opposite direction.

Yeah, I've been able to get some missile expanisions with the wall jump that you'd normally have to have the ice beam or high jump ability to obtain them.

Wall jumping ftw

Top Bottom