• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Metroid (VC) Thread of Best Game Ever Made

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think the brilliance of Super Metroid is in so evident in those little critter tutorials. There's no tutorials. No hand holding. No babying. The game doesn't really tell you how to do any of those advanced techniques, but it shows you how to do them...and you can figure it out yourself.

:bow

Linkhero1

I remember when I first played the game I was stuck on that part where you had to run and the platform under you disappears. I never knew there was a run button and gave up on the game. This was about 11 or 12 years ago.

jarosh

yeah i pulled it off now. duh, hitting the opposite direction FIRST. it is a little hard to do, kinda awkward.

well thanks anyway guys. still best game ever yadda yadda yadda

I am a glutton for punishment, I tried to go back for that energy tank and just fell right in again. At least now I have wall jumping down pat.

Y2Kev said:
I think the brilliance of Super Metroid is in so evident in those little critter tutorials. There's no tutorials. No hand holding. No babying. The game doesn't really tell you how to do any of those advanced techniques, but it shows you how to do them...and you can figure it out yourself.

See I don't know if I can entirely agree with this since the wall jumping is something that eluded me for years (and a few others going by this thread), and only now have I learned to do it consistently. The power jumping "tutorial", sure, that's simple and intuitive enough.

JayDub

Great game, great story (especially for a continuation), great graphics...NOT the best game ever made. At least not for me.

JayDub

Y2Kev said:

I totally agree. For the last two gens, I have DREADED starting a new game because of its handholding, time consuming tutorials. A more streamlined and intuitive one would be great.

Neomoto

Played this game when I whas a kid and I loved it. Looking forward to playing it again after all those long years. :) Will buy a classic controller + Wii points for this (and while I'm on it will buy even more Wii points and buy more classis awesomeness).

Morts

I just moved back into school and can't get my Wii online. This is the worst day of my life. Enjoy your game guys, I'll be off cutting myself somewhere.

1up

Jammy said:
Is there a better control set-up I should use?
I use a different way of controlling, a = jump y = fire a = run x = cancel.

I could never get used to using x as my weapon button.

I always felt wall jumping in SM was akin to riding a bike. May take a while to figure out but once you learn it, it becomes a piece of cake and you never forget. Guess I was wrong. On the other hand, I played it when I was 15 and I've never had 10 years in between play sessions.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'd just like to add (as I always do when Super Metroid comes up here), that Super Metroid is my favorite game of all time.

As far as I'm concerned, it is literally perfect.

Narag

Got lost in Maridia then realized I needed to head elsewhere first. I hadn't saved in a while, died, and decided to take a break to get some Shinobi III in!

Y2Kev said:

Its really something else to realize what's going on instead of clicking your way through a wall of text that tells you how to play the game. I miss this stuff.

jarosh

Darunia said:
Can anyone take some pictures of the game running on a high def tv?
they're kinda crappy but the two pics on page 6 were taken off my 100" projected 720p screen. it looks freaking awesome in person, super sharp etc.

oatmeal

Banned
I just put it in my SNES, and tried it out.

It seemed like it ran faster. Of course that might be because I was in Tourian and pimped up, but I don't know. I want to do a side by side.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
jarosh said:
they're kinda crappy but the two pics on page 6 were taken off my 100" projected 720p screen. it looks freaking awesome in person, super sharp etc.

yeah they were a tease and the reason I wanted to see more. VC games aren't 480p here, which sucks major balls, next to the borders and such. After Paper Mario I've decided PAL VC isn't worth my money anymore

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I could never get the wall jump to work right in SM... always had my brother beat that part for me. Glad the GBA Metroids made that a lot easier.

NeoForte

oh man. seeing this game on my 50" Plasma is freaking awesome! Can't believe after all these years this game is still as good as ever. I remember back when it came out on SNES I played it the entire summer. Embarassing but cool feat I did, I killed Maridia's boss entirely using bombs back then lol. I didn't know there were other means of beating it heh

Red Scarlet

Y2Kev said:
Scar, you need to make route maps for us!

The route I go is I guess slower in reality than some others and it's a bit harder to get through for the average player.

I never held jump while doing a wall jump, so try either method and see what works for you!

Aeana said:
I completely forgot about the
little creatures that show you some 'advanced' techniques in the game, like the 3 little imps that show you how to walljump, and the ostrich thing that shows you the shinespark.
It's been so long since I played this game normally that I'm seeing things I haven't seen in years.

Haha yeah! This time I promised myself that I would not only get 100% item completion but also 100% map completion thereby taking my time. I don't think I've taken over an hour in Super Metroid in years.

Scrubking said:
Want more what? Overpriced 13-year-old games that are poorly emulated most of the time??

GIT OUT MAH THREAD

Jammy

Banned
Okay, I've got Y = Shoot, B = Jump, A = Dash, X = Cancel, R and L = diagonal shots, and Select = Change weapon.

I tried to do it like Mega Man X. :) It works pretty well.

Red Scarlet

I do it like Mega Man X too, but I use Y=shoot, B=jump, X=run, A=item cancel. I still use it depsite my index finger getting messed up. I don't know how you guys can claw the controller with YBA. :lol

Crazymoogle said:
If it is a component plug, try dropping out two of the three video cables (probably blue and green?); see what happens with only one. It might just be sending a composite signal and avoiding the rest?

Thats exactly what it was doing. Damn. Thought i was special for a second. Yeah its just sending it over composite, on the red cable.

Just downloaded it, this will be my first time playing it!:D

Some pics:

DSCF0107.jpg

DSCF0108.jpg

Should I play on 4:3 or play it stretched?

DSCF0111.jpg

DSCF0110.jpg

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I haven't played this game in ages and I had forgotten how incredible it is. I've also forgotten most of the map design and item locations. So it's almost like playing a whole new game.

Personally, I never was one to speedrun Super Metroid. To me, Super Metroid always seems like the kind of game to be savoured: to be taken slowly, experiencing the atmosphere and growing tension, poking in every nook and cranny, ferreting out each hidden item. I just spent an hour and a half straight playing the game and only got to the Ice Beam. (I've only got about 30 missiles and 5 Supers, so I'm obviously not particularly good at ferreting out those hidden items. I did get the Spazer, though)

It strikes me how awesome the map design is. Unlike some other games with this style, the areas aren't just barren corridors full of monsters. The planet is so complex, so full of life and activity, it's incredible. Every area is different and the design just flows so well.

By the way, I use a control setup of B as jump, Y as shoot, X as dash, A as item cancel, and the shoulder buttons as aiming up/down. Setups that don't use B as jump and Y as fire just feel so...unnatural to me.

bluefish

oatmeal said:
I was just playing and kept messing with the controls...right now I've got Y run, B jump and X shoot...but I'm not liking it that much.

I'm going to load it up on the SNES and see which I like better. I actually think it might be the Diamond of the Classic Controller is too wide. Hmm...I just checked and it's pretty similar.

I don't know, maybe it's just been half a year or so since playing it so my fingers aren't trained.

I'll get it. I'm playing it in widescreen, on a 60" SXRD (the horizontal stretch doesn't bother me in the slightest with ANY of these VC titles) and it's godly.

*drool*

I am finding the same thing. I can't find a setup that satisfies me, and I don't remember having this much trouble with it on the SNES. I think the classic controller is the culprit. But I don't have an SNES controller around to compare with.

I'm trying out Dragona's control method whereas I previously used the MMX style or something similar. However after recently playing Zero Mission, it just doesn't feel as right to use the MMX style and this new one feels pretty good.

Somnid

I have even greater respect for Fusion and Zero Mission's improved mechanics, you don't know how useful the ledge grab is until it's gone.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Samus seems more graceful in this game than in the GBA iterations. I like the way she almost glides through the air. Playing as her in Zero Mission is like controlling a rock compared to controlling Samus in this one.

waitwaitwait, I don't need to press the jump button each time I wall jump? Is that what you guys are saying?

I've always been trying to time it like that...

You're saying I press jump to get myself off the floor, and continue holding it for the duration of my wall jumping attempt, just throwing in directional taps!?

Somnid said:
I have even greater respect for Fusion and Zero Mission's improved mechanics, you don't know how useful the ledge grab is until it's gone.

Heh, I was pretty disappointed with the ledge grab addition, overall. It isn't necessarily better mechanics, it's giving a easy/lazy way out, most of the time.

Red Scarlet

Somnid said:

Practice with the walljump and you can do the exact same thing (and some things you can't do in Fusion/ZM) without depending on a ledge grab to do it for you.

Top Bottom