• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official TEKKEN 6 "Who needs a FADC? We got RAGE!" Thread

luka

Loves Robotech S1
riskVSreward said:
Well, I've only been playing it for a few weeks now so I personally couldn't make any best game evar claims, I don't know how long you've been playing it. It's definitely addicting, the customization is on par if not more varied than VF5 (best in the series by far though) and you're right, the core gameplay is phenomenal. I'm still not sure I like it over TTT, nevermind all of my classic favorites like Hyper Fighting, Super Turbo, VF4:EVO, CVS2 etc etc...

I do enjoy it more than every other Tekken since TTT though. Once the online is patched (lol) maybe I can put in enough time fighting strangers to construct a valid opinion on the game as a whole. But for right now, ghost mode and playing against my friends is awesome and I can totally look past all of the shortcomings in the port.

I've played a lot of fighters, but not all of them and not long enough to make a claim that it's factually the best fighter ever. I'd say that honor would be much better bestowed on someone like MarkMan. ;) Personally it's my favorite. I love its mechanics and style.

luka said:
I've played a lot of fighters, but not all of them and not long enough to make a claim that it's factually the best fighter ever. I'd say that honor would be much better bestowed on someone like MarkMan. ;) Personally it's my favorite. I love its mechanics and style.
I think we all know what he would say. :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
luka said:
I love this game. Best Tekken ever. Best fighting game ever.
This is correct.

Hmmm.... Not sure I agree that a fighter with minimal updates and last gen mechanics can be considered the best fighter... even within the series.

Since my only battles with "skilled" players has been online, I have to say it's fucking pathetic watching the same combos over and over... especially when they last so fucking long. I've felt this way since the T6 videos have surfaced.

I'm sorry, but bound is anything but groundbreaking (no pun intended). Tekken 1>2>3>4 was the where the evolution stopped. From there, it went backwards. I loved 5 despite that fact but this game is horse shit. Ooooh they changed inputs and animations for old moves and added new ones. T5>DR did that.... and that was just an upgrade. I know it's just the newness and the fact that it replaces T5 that has people pumped... not the actual progression.

weepy

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Hmmm.... Not sure I agree that a fighter with minimal updates and last gen mechanics can be considered the best fighter... even within the series.

Since my only battles with "skilled" players has been online, I have to say it's fucking pathetic watching the same combos over and over... especially when they last so fucking long. I've felt this way since the T6 videos have surfaced.

I'm sorry, but bound is anything but groundbreaking (no pun intended). Tekken 1>2>3>4 was the where the evolution stopped. From there, it went backwards. I loved 5 despite that fact but this game is horse shit. Ooooh they changed inputs and animations for old moves and added new ones. T5>DR did that.... and that was just an upgrade. I know it's just the newness and the fact that it replaces T5 that has people pumped... not the actual progression.

Tekken tried a drastic change with the fourth iteration (technically 5th if you count TTT) and it was received poorly by the fans and new comers alike. Granted that Tekken 6 is just DR 1.5, it's what works in terms of core gameplay. As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Even Street Fighter went by this saying..

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
weepy said:
Tekken tried a drastic change with the fourth iteration (technically 5th if you count TTT) and it was received poorly by the fans and new comers alike. Granted that Tekken 6 is just DR 1.5, it's what works in terms of core gameplay. As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Even Street Fighter went by this saying..

SF4 had a fair bit of innovation to the series with Focuses and ultras, not to mention its hybriding of SF2 and SF3 systems which worked fairly well.

weepy said:
As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Even Street Fighter went by this saying..
I can only agree. If you want to drastically change up the engine, just make an all new game or a spin off of some kind. When I play Tekken, I wanna play Tekken... if that makes any sense.

weepy

arstal said:
SF4 had a fair bit of innovation to the series with Focuses and ultras, not to mention its hybriding of SF2 and SF3 systems which worked fairly well.

That it did, but it still retained the core gameplay that made it so popular. And still, it's not being called on for "rehashing" or being the "same ol' same old" like Tekken is.

arstal said:

And even then the Focuses and Ultras were of refinement/changes on the Alpha counter/SF3 parry and Super bar systems.

As stated, the base system that makes it all work so well is still distinctively Street Fighter. With fighters, 'evolution/innovation' for purely the sake of innovation isn't as important as gameplay mechanics refinement and polish building from it's predecessors, so using a term as dubious as "last gen mechanics" on a fighter is meaningless.

if you really think about it, it's pretty much the presentation that plays key as well. SFIV is a highly stylized 2.5D where Tekken has always been better 3D each time.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So I beat Azazel in SC mode, now how do I get through the rest of that level? Aargh, having one of the pillars fall on me and swipe all my health was frustrating.

it's been a few days since i last played (stupid MW2), any updates on that patch that is coming?

need to head back into practice and learn some more characters, sooooo many combos i have to remember.

zoukka

Haven't touched this in three days. I actually booted my PS3 yesterday to play this, but then just thought it would be a waste of my time because the SP sucks and online is laggy :/

Namco it's PATCH TIME or SELLING TIME.

y2dvd

Is there a way to upload saved replays or do I have to video capture it. My bro and I got a few decent matches saved lol.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
riskVSreward said:
I think we all know what he would say. :D

I actually think Virtua Fighter 4 EVO was the pinnacle of 3D fighting games. But, it sucks that no one played it.

I like TEKKEN though, yes that is true. :)

zugzug

heh on Monday I'm driving 2 1/2 hours to the nearest Gamestop gonna see if they still have the $140 wirelss fightstick that comes with Tekken 6, they had it 2 weeks ago this monday....the idea of wireless fightstick has worn me down into getting this game plus I'm one of those suckers for limited

Then I'll go back and play some more VF5 with my Tekken6 fightstick and go buy Soul calibur 4 maybe even get crazy and buy some DOA4

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Haha, I had no idea the PS3 version had custom soundtracks enabled! I just decided to randomly try and see if it'd play. Surprised it's not even written on the box.

MarkMan said:
I actually think Virtua Fighter 4 EVO was the pinnacle of 3D fighting games. But, it sucks that no one played it.
1zyj43o.jpg

You surprised me, I must say. Also
SDT podcast #2 will cover what the new online patch will entail. more details soon
makes me think there's gonna be more than just addressing the netcode.

I've been playing Leo all night and he/she is soooo ace. My main B! combo now does 65 dmg, 8 points more than what I've been using until tonight. The crouch dash moves are crazy, working on my side step cancels to make them even crazier. By the time the patch comes out, I'm gonna be a machine!

Sectus

riskVSreward said:
makes me think there's gonna be more than just addressing the netcode.
I'm betting 3 socks all they're addressing is stuff *not* directly related to the netcode. And we'll end up with online play which is just as awful, but with slightly improved matchmaking or something.

Sectus said:
I'm betting 3 socks all they're addressing is stuff *not* directly related to the netcode. And we'll end up with online play which is just as awful, but with slightly improved matchmaking or something.
Well, if I can rank up fully offline, that would add some more replay for me. Online and Offline ranks should have been separate from the beginning. Also, being able to play VS against the CPU would be great so I could play against friend's ghosts without having to stumble upon them randomly in Ghost Mode. Lastly, command training should be better implemented in Practice Mode. I want to be able to scroll through the whole list with say, the right stick, instead of going through the menus for each move.

Then there's the nitpicks like not saving your preferred side, not saving player 2's controls, and not allowing another profile to log in so you can both use your custom attires.

If they aren't going to fix the netcode (or if the patch fails in this regard), at least a few of these better be addressed.

MarkMan said:

And what a phenomenal release it was. You got a much better looking version of VF4 with all the previous stages and music included with the new ones plus the extra gameplay additions, tons of customization, replays, 2 new characters and the VF Anniversary VF1 remake. All for 20 dollars. BEST PS2 RELEASE EVER.

btw, any idea when the 360 netcode patch is coming?

MarkMan said:

Of course, Japan did, and then ironically ditched VF5 for Tekken 6 as soon as it came along.

Sectus said:

That would be so disappointing. I don't really care about co-op story mode or anything, I just want the core game to work well online.

GrayFoxPL

MarkMan said:
TEKKEN 6.

You know where I've been ;/

On the Tekken movie screening?

Tried Miguel for the first time yesterday and he's totally awesome. Love the no bullshit attitude. :D
Cool character design. His voice is perfect.

Maybe I'll exchange Bob for him in online.

Tain

Japan was playing Final Tuned, though, not Evo.

I've never played Final Tuned, but I'm gonna take a shot in the dark guess and say that it's a step up from VF4E.

zoukka said:
Haven't touched this in three days. I actually booted my PS3 yesterday to play this, but then just thought it would be a waste of my time because the SP sucks and online is laggy :/

Namco it's PATCH TIME or SELLING TIME.

I'm over that. Already traded my 360 copy in and got DragonAge instead. I'd love to play some Tekken but the netcode is just too bad for me.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Apparently new copies of T6 are getting pricedropped at Gamestop already.

Apparently the official sales are THAT BAD. (hearing that as of Nov.1 it was sub 200k- combined). This will be the bomb of 2009 at this rate.

The question is- did Tekken 6 bomb because of the pre-launch reports, or because of being a victim of MW2? I think it's the former.

I'm worried about the patch now, with them taking this much of a batch, will lthey gave a shit about it?

Gomu Gomu

arstal said:
The question is- did Tekken 6 bomb because of the pre-launch reports, or because of being a victim of MW2? I think it's the former.

I would go as far as saying the crappy online mode is a major reason why it didn't sell. Online gaming nowadays is an essential thing to these kinds of games. And there hasn't been a review where it didn't shit on the online.

It saddens me really. T6 is an awesome game wrapped in a shitty package.

MarkMan said:
I actually think Virtua Fighter 4 Final Tuned was the pinnacle of 3D fighting games. But, it sucks that no one played it.

I like TEKKEN though, yes that is true. :)

Fixed :) I had good times playing VF4FT at CTF, good times.

GrayFoxPL

zooL said:
man, even with patch 1.01 the netcode still sucks big time.

That's not the patch that is coming. :lol

I am pleased with online. I think peeps had too big expectations for a online-namco title.
Don't know what the patch will do, but I just hope it doesn't break what already works.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Sectus said:

That's what I think will happen also. In which case I just safely return the game and get SCIV.

Will be a damn shame, and it will be proof that the FG revival of 2009- really was just 3 games, SCIV, SFIV, and BB.

arstal said:

Apparently the official sales are THAT BAD. (hearing that as of Nov.1 it was sub 200k- combined). This will be the bomb of 2009 at this rate.

I'm worried about the patch now, with them taking this much of a batch, will lthey gave a shit about it?

Price drops in Germany too. A retailer friend of mine told me the game isn't doing so well. Used copies are everywhere.

Tekken 6 is also the worst rated Tekken in the German gaming press as far as I remember. That doesn't help either.

Honestly I'm not sure if I buy the next Tekken. There is too much annoying stuff in Tekken 6.

@arstal: SCIV has been released in 2008.

obaidr

Banned
i hope the add home launching, that would be great. I t would be a lot of fun to chit chat, jump in to the game and then come back and do the victory dance :D Besides please custom soundtrack for online matchs. I have no idea why they took that one out.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
arstal said:

Honestly, I think they released the console version too late. They should have released it last year.

Calcaneus

Hopefully the sales and complaints show them that they had better send that patch out with real online fixes and not half-ass it again.

I know I have never posted in this thread before (ok maybe like once) but I just had to tell people that would maybe care. For some reason the National Guard was at my uni and had games to play for free, and one of them was Tekken 6. Come to find out they planned to throw a T6 tournament which I signed up for - long story short I got First Place and won a free copy of the game. :D
2eol3kl.jpg

I'm not exceptionally good but afterwards I did beat every challenger I had (except my friend who is insanely good).

Just thought I'd share.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Fortinbras said:
Price drops in Germany too. A retailer friend of mine told me the game isn't doing so well. Used copies are everywhere.

Tekken 6 is also the worst rated Tekken in the German gaming press as far as I remember. That doesn't help either.

Honestly I'm not sure if I buy the next Tekken. There is too much annoying stuff in Tekken 6.

@arstal: SCIV has been released in 2008.

Yeah, I lump it in with the 2009 games since iit was late in the year though.

SCIV had some advantages the other fighters didn't- like Star Wars and being first. Still, it made money, so I think SCV will happen.

V_Arnold

Bought the wireless stick bundle.
The stick feels, looks, and controls awesome.

The first half hour was painful, SJC->BK (Which consists of a d,f/uf/bf, then a qcb) is still not fast enough for my tastes, and moving fingers from button to button where I only used my thumb before is an odd stuff, but I will accustomize to it. I already took some wins in G2, and in Tekken 6, it seems even better, mostly because I am not into the higher level stuff in that game, thus tapping one direction or doing some basic Lars combos does not require insane dexterity yet.

I feel that me and this stick will be friends for a long time coming.
Just one more question: should I feel bad if I actually press the buttons, instead of just putting a little pressure on them? They react to that and to a full press, but It feels just bad not pushing something when it is a button o_o

V_Arnold said:
should I feel bad if I actually press the buttons, instead of just putting a little pressure on them? They react to that and to a full press, but It feels just bad not pushing something when it is a button o_o

Probably should feel bad, but I pound the shit out of the stick too, it's more fun that way...Reminds me of playing Mortal Kombat and SFII back in the day...

weepy said:
That it did, but it still retained the core gameplay that made it so popular. And still, it's not being called on for "rehashing" or being the "same ol' same old" like Tekken is.

I like Tekken, but the criticisms are valid. Namco is notorious if you ask me for simply rehashing or stealing ideas. They do not mess with what works.

I have both Soul Calibur IV and Tekken 6 and let's face it. Soul Calibur's features are, armor breaking ripped right out of 1996's Fighting Vipers and Fatalities ripped right out of 1991's Mortal Kombat :lol Tekken's big feature? Top set ripped out of Garou, Mark of the Wolves (1999). Falling through ground (DOA, which did it better BTW, 2000).

I'm of a light heart about it, I think it's funny, and at the end of the day if a fighting game works I say leave it be... I love Tekken for what it is.

However, don't drop the same shit on SF. SF is a series that evolved/changed crazy in a 7year span. Compare SF2 series to Alpha series to 3 series. They are all radically different games.

4 is what it is because of the OG fans demanding a return to the roots. The rest is kind of derivative from other games... EX moves from 3, supers... stuff like the FADC dash canceling, Focus attack, and Ultra, while certainly deriviative of older systems, is still way more innovative and game changing than slapping a top set variant into the gameplay and calling it a day.

zoukka said:
There is justice in the world if Tekken 6 bombs. I hope some heads roll over Namco.

Namco sold 2.5 million copies to sucker retailers, they got their money. This just means Tekken as a franchise is dying or pretty much dead as retailers won't fall for the next one so easily.

GrayFoxPL

Arpharmd B said:
I like Tekken, but the criticisms are valid. Namco is notorious if you ask me for simply rehashing or stealing ideas. They do not mess with what works.

I have both Soul Calibur IV and Tekken 6 and let's face it. Soul Calibur's features are, armor breaking ripped right out of 1996's Fighting Vipers and Fatalities ripped right out of 1991's Mortal Kombat :lol Tekken's big feature? Top set ripped out of Garou, Mark of the Wolves (1999). Falling through ground (DOA, which did it better BTW, 2000).

I'm of a light heart about it, I think it's funny, and at the end of the day if a fighting game works I say leave it be... I love Tekken for what it is.

However, don't drop the same shit on SF. SF is a series that evolved/changed crazy in a 7year span. Compare SF2 series to Alpha series to 3 series. They are all radically different games.

4 is what it is because of the OG fans demanding a return to the roots. The rest is kind of derivative from other games... EX moves from 3, supers... stuff like the FADC dash canceling, Focus attack, and Ultra, while certainly deriviative of older systems, is still way more innovative and game changing than slapping a top set variant into the gameplay and calling it a day.

Eh, those elements were reused in tons of fighting games over and over. Hardly a Namco only doing. Low health = power, there was shit load of that. You're wrong that DOA did ground breaking better. In DoA it's just pretty canned animation. In T6 floor and wall breaking it's part of the gameplay dependant on the moves and gives more combo oportunity. Unless by "better" you mean watching how someone falls from tower for 10 seconds.

Fighting games evolved taking and adapting ideas one from another. It's the way it always been. SF isn't a exeption. Capcom and SNK both looked at each others hands. Things like dash and back dash don't come from SF. I think SNK did it first but maybe it was someone obscure. Can't remember exactly. Oh and EX moves come from Darkstalkers, sadly few people remember that awesome series.

GrayFoxPL said:
Eh, those elements were reused in tons of fighting games over and over. Hardly a Namco only doing. Low health = power, there was shit load of that. You're wrong that DOA did ground breaking better. In DoA it's just pretty canned animation. In T6 floor and wall breaking it's part of the gameplay dependant on the moves and gives more combo oportunity. Unless by "better" you mean watching how someone falls from tower for 10 seconds.

Fighting games evolved taking and adapting ideas one from another. It's the way it always been. SF isn't a exeption. Capcom and SNK both looked at each others hands. Things like dash and back dash don't come from SF. I think SNK did it first but maybe it was someone obscure. Can't remember exactly. Oh and EX moves come from Darkstalkers, sadly few people remember that awesome series.

No I agree everyones been ripping each other off hardcore forever. Capcom rips off SNK hardcore. I was making a point that. In ten years we saw SF2 series, SFAlpha series, SF3 series. Radically different games. Tekken on the other hand. In 10 years no way can you say that.

And of course I remember Darkstalkers. I had Vampire Savior imported on my Sega Saturn in 1997 at the age of 13. I am a fighting game die hard to the bone. Nothing wrong with stealing ideas, all the fighting games do it, but Tekken has by and large evolved the least over 15 years versus Street Fighter or Virtua Fighter. It's whatever, I love Tekken, I'm just saying.

Speaking of ripping each other off. A few recent fighting game cliches that I've noticed. Luchadors (El Blaze, El Fuerte) American fat dude parodies/jokes (Rufus, Bob), and, this one I Think everyone will agree has been played out for 10 years now, a big screen in the background playing the fight happening in front of you. I can think of like off the top of my head with this. Virtua Fighter 5, DOA4, Capcom Vs. SNK, Street Fighter 4, Virtua Fighter 4, Smash Bros and I'm probably missing many games.

Top Bottom