• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official TEKKEN 6 "Who needs a FADC? We got RAGE!" Thread

Calcaneus

BattleMonkey said:
Namco sold 2.5 million copies to sucker retailers, they got their money. This just means Tekken as a franchise is dying or pretty much dead as retailers won't fall for the next one so easily.
I highly doubt that Tekken is pretty much dead. It still rocks arcades and sold fairly well in Japan.

GrayFoxPL

Arpharmd B said:
No I agree everyones been ripping each other off hardcore forever. Capcom rips off SNK hardcore. I was making a point that. In ten years we saw SF2 series, SFAlpha series, SF3 series. Radically different games. Tekken on the other hand. In 10 years no way can you say that.

And of course I remember Darkstalkers. I had Vampire Savior imported on my Sega Saturn in 1997 at the age of 13. I am a fighting game die hard to the bone. Nothing wrong with stealing ideas, all the fighting games do it, but Tekken has by and large evolved the least over 15 years versus Street Fighter or Virtua Fighter. It's whatever, I love Tekken, I'm just saying.

Speaking of ripping each other off. A few recent fighting game cliches that I've noticed. Luchadors (El Blaze, El Fuerte) American fat dude parodies/jokes (Rufus, Bob), and, this one I Think everyone will agree has been played out for 10 years now, a big screen in the background playing the fight happening in front of you. I can think of like off the top of my head with this. Virtua Fighter 5, DOA4, Capcom Vs. SNK, Street Fighter 4, Virtua Fighter 4, Smash Bros and I'm probably missing many games.

Not that generally I don't agree with you... Yeah, there are always those 'trends', like now for a fast fat guy or luchadore characters. Fashion, ripping off or the universal mind-thing that makes people make the same ideas. Whatever it is, it's always there.
But if Tekken is the least evolved fighter is debatable. It had twists and turns. T3 was nothing short of revolution for the series and was nothing like T2 and T1. The series would look different now if T4 was a success as it lead to a completely new path, just like T3 after T2, but namco decided to play it safe. In my opinion Namco took way more risks and changed more throughout the Tekken series then Sega did with VF. The last evolved 3d fighter is imo DOA, since DOA2 is the series changed the least. Not to mention they fucking never change the character designs.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The DOA series has had its counter system changed/evolved over each series. The character designs are also no less "changed" than Virtua Fighter's "still stuck in 1993" designs for the core cast of characters.

It's interesting that both Sega and Namco's attempts to change up their games (Virtua Fighter 3 and Tekken 4) were seen as "failures" in the sense that they went back to a style more reminiscent of the older games for the sequels, dropping the uneven stages and such.

KAOS

DOA4 still has the best fighting environments of any 3D fighter and they could be used in a strategic manner that had nothing to do with canned animations!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
1. Azazel is a bum. It never took me more than three tries to beat him with anyone. His difficulty is exaggerated. He has nothing on Kasumi clone.

2. Music is forgettable. I only like one track. Thank god for custom soundtracks.

3. Stages are forgettable as well. Earlier comments made me :lol. It will take a whole lot of creativity to topple Moonlit wilderness, estrada da estrela, aurora australis and snow castle. The first being the greatest fighting game stage ever.

4. WHY IS JIN SO EMO!!!!!? What have they done to my Jin!?

5. I only had a few "good" working online matches out of a.....lot.

6. Scenario is cheesy but I find myself enjoying it because I love them rpg elements. They should've made unlocking endings for arcade.

7. Endings are incredibly stupid (in a bad way) and some are downright wth. Not really on par with previous endings. I only liked one, Ling's. Funny as hell. :lol

8. The game took a step forward in game play and amount of characters/balance but presentation and everything else went backwards.

Lyte Edge said:
It's interesting that both Sega and Namco's attempts to change up their games (Virtua Fighter 3 and Tekken 4) were seen as "failures" in the sense that they went back to a style more reminiscent of the older games for the sequels, dropping the uneven stages and such.

The saddest, most regrettable thing about the development of the 3-D fighting genre, TBH. I like the games we have now, but that monumental shift in core gameplay will never happen in the big four again (TK, VF, DOA, SC). The new additions have mostly felt like gimmicks to me. I'd love to be wrong, though.

GrayFoxPL said:
The last evolved 3d fighter is imo DOA, since DOA2 is the series changed the least. Not to mention they fucking never change the character designs.

To me, DOA has the most advanced core gameplay ideas. The rub is that the implementation is horrible and the characters are repetitive, generic and shallow. If Namco or SEGA (preferably Namco at this point :( ) had the DOA system in place from the beginning, that shit would be the best 3D fighter by a large margin, IMO. Sadly, the best teams are hampered by honoring the traditions of their respective series.
also known as whiny fans who fear awesome change

3D games should go back to the even stages and such (like VF3TB and T4) with a VF vs Tekken game!

But for real, it would be nice to see something a little different, but ya never know.

Master Thespian said:
To me, DOA has the most advanced core gameplay ideas. The rub is that the implementation is horrible and the characters are repetitive, generic and shallow. If Namco or SEGA (preferably Namco at this point :( ) had the DOA system in place from the beginning, that shit would be the best 3D fighter by a large margin, IMO. Sadly, the best teams are hampered by honoring the traditions of their respective series.
also known as whiny fans who fear awesome change
WTF? I don't even know what to say. The fact that the entire cast has offensive holds, low throws, and the ability to counter every attack is so noob, nothing advanced about it.

riskVSreward said:
WTF? I don't even know what to say. The fact that the entire cast has offensive holds, low throws, and the ability to counter every attack is so noob, nothing advanced about it.
You don't know what implementation means?

Arpharmd B said:
No I agree everyones been ripping each other off hardcore forever. Capcom rips off SNK hardcore. I was making a point that. In ten years we saw SF2 series, SFAlpha series, SF3 series. Radically different games. Tekken on the other hand. In 10 years no way can you say that.

And of course I remember Darkstalkers. I had Vampire Savior imported on my Sega Saturn in 1997 at the age of 13. I am a fighting game die hard to the bone. Nothing wrong with stealing ideas, all the fighting games do it, but Tekken has by and large evolved the least over 15 years versus Street Fighter or Virtua Fighter. It's whatever, I love Tekken, I'm just saying.

I could sort of agree with this if you didn't mention VF. Tekken has evolved from it's previous entries at about the same rate as VF. Heck, T5/6 is actually radically different when compared to T3/Tag and Tekken even had it's own VF3 weirdo entry with T4.

I feel you're argument would be more accurate when aimed at Soul Calibur. Love the series but damn is it stale.

Kadey said:
4. WHY IS JIN SO EMO!!!!!? What have they done to my Jin!?

Eh, he went from a momma's boy to emo-ish loser. Makes sense.

Master Thespian said:
You don't know what implementation means?
Well then, which "gameplay ideas" exactly are so damned advanced? I have to admit, I've never heard anyone claim that anything about DOA is more advanced than, say VF.

Not even at DOACentral.

DR2K

Banned
riskVSreward said:

It's called balance. But there is a huge distinction among the systems you stated. Some have multi part offensive holds, low offensive holds, some have advanced counters, some have multi part low throws, every character has a few attacks that go through counters, etc. . . Maybe if you spent more than 5 minutes with it then maybe you would see some sort of advancement.

riskVSreward said:
Well then, which "gameplay ideas" exactly are so damned advanced? I have to admit, I've never heard anyone claim that anything about DOA is more advanced than, say VF.

Not even at DOACentral.

Striking:
-delayable, cancellable, chargable, bufferable
-Guard breaks, unblockables, off the wall attacks
-Stance shifting
-The ability to hit grounded opponents with either a down strike, pounce or applicable low attack.

Defense:
-hold back or use button (ie retreating guard as well as stationary guard).
-Ukemi, while rising attacks
-Reversals, parries, sabakis

Movement:
-Sidestep, ARM, crouch dashing

Guaranteed Damage:
-Stuns, staggers, slips (environment specific)
-Ground and ceiling bounce combos in addition to normal juggles.

Throws:
-Normal - Multi, catch, grab, low, ground, air
-Environment specific - Wall (front and back), slope, ceiling
-Counter throw mechanic.

Environment:
-Stationary and mobile danger zones
-Multi-tiered, uniquely shaped, obstacles (both solid and breakable), vaulting mechanic

TAG:
-C'mon, it's TAG!

Things it doesn't have off the top of my head = Side hit/throw situations (the only GLARING omission), armor breaks, (critical) finishers, charge up/netsu, comeback mechanic/RAAAAAAAAAAGGGGE.

First, Advanced =! Innovative

So yeah, almost all of the things I listed can be found in other games. So while DOA has most of the major systems in other games, they lack the depth to which DOA has created environmental interaction systems. To me, it's the best combination of the finish your opponent stance of Tekken with the environmental danger of Virtua Fighter/SC.

As for your comment that all of the characters have access to every facet, I clearly stated that the characters where "repetitive, generic and shallow" I also clearly stated that the implementation of those gameplay ideas is horrible. The active window and the damage for counter holds are too large, every character feels the same in terms of strategy and application and the game is horribly balanced.

DR2K said:
It's called balance. But there is a huge distinction among the systems you stated. Some have multi part offensive holds, low offensive holds, some have advanced counters, some have multi part low throws, every character has a few attacks that go through counters, etc. . . Maybe if you spent more than 5 minutes with it then maybe you would see some sort of advancement.
Dude... I have countless hours logged into DOA4, my gamertag alone shows 100 but it's well beyond that. I only meant that universal counters, low throws and OH's are stupid.

By the way "It's called balance."

I shit my pants.
Master Thespian said:
As for your comment that all of the characters have access to every facet, I clearly stated that the characters where "repetitive, generic and shallow" I also clearly stated that the implementation of those gameplay ideas is horrible. The active window and the damage for counter holds are too large, every character feels the same in terms of strategy and application and the game is horribly balanced.
Fair enough.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
So I'm finally getting to this game (been playing Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls). I just finished the scenario campaign, which is god awful. Now I'm trying to customize one of my characters (Nina).

I purchased an item for her (Red Flame Racing Suit or something like that) and it is telling me that I won't be able to view it normally because she is wearing the blouse and pants. How do I take off the clothes that are on by default? Can you? How do I get the racing suit that I purchased to actually show up?

The customization aspect of this game seems very unnecessarily convoluted. In Tekken 5 it made complete sense but now its all kind of clunky/messed up. So far the only improvement that I can notice is the hair customization options are out to wazoo.

Oh, and what's up with not being able to select the sheep stage? Its easily the best stage in the game.

GrayFoxPL said:
Not that generally I don't agree with you... Yeah, there are always those 'trends', like now for a fast fat guy or luchadore characters. Fashion, ripping off or the universal mind-thing that makes people make the same ideas. Whatever it is, it's always there.
But if Tekken is the least evolved fighter is debatable. It had twists and turns. T3 was nothing short of revolution for the series and was nothing like T2 and T1. The series would look different now if T4 was a success as it lead to a completely new path, just like T3 after T2, but namco decided to play it safe. In my opinion Namco took way more risks and changed more throughout the Tekken series then Sega did with VF. The last evolved 3d fighter is imo DOA, since DOA2 is the series changed the least. Not to mention they fucking never change the character designs.

VF1 to VF2 is as big a leap as Tekken1/2 to 3 if not moreso. Everything about VF2 is so refined, reworked...it makes VF1 look like a beta.

VF3 was an even bigger leap forward. The first modern 3d fighter and the definitive VF if you ask me. This is where the series stagnated. VF4 went backwards in many ways and VF5 is 4 with prettier graphics. Both absolutely fantastic games, but this is where they stopped innovating and refining.

I don't understand why the evade button and tiered stages were considered mistakes. The game was an absolute smash success in Japan. The series is/was simply a non entity in the States. If Sega thought that VF3 "failed" because of that, they were dead wrong. VF failed because it's on expensive hardware at a time when fighters were on the decline, and so were arcades in the US. I absolutely miss evading with a button and I feel 3 had the best evade system of any 3d fighter. Pressing up or down works, sure, but for VF it made small jumps feel very wrong in 4 and 5 and I don't like the two ways to evade in 5 (pressing up or pressing up PKG, it's just not intuitive). Tiered stages, I thought, were a great idea and I'll argue with VF diehards, it works although I guess in high level play it is a "random" factor to account for.

DOA is the series that evolved the least, I didn't mention it because frankly I just don't consider it a serious fighter like Tekken of VF. Not trying to start a flame, that's just how I feel about it.

Baron Aloha said:
So I'm finally getting to this game (been playing Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls). I just finished the scenario campaign, which is god awful. Now I'm trying to customize one of my characters (Nina).

I purchased an item for her (Red Flame Racing Suit or something like that) and it is telling me that I won't be able to view it normally because she is wearing the blouse and pants. How do I take off the clothes that are on by default? Can you? How do I get the racing suit that I purchased to actually show up?

The customization aspect of this game seems very unnecessarily convoluted. In Tekken 5 it made complete sense but now its all kind of clunky/messed up. So far the only improvement that I can notice is the hair customization options are out to wazoo.

Oh, and what's up with not being able to select the sheep stage? Its easily the best stage in the game.

It means you need to be using her P1 outfit.

Man, this is so frustrating. I like the gameplay and feel myself slowly improving, but I main Feng and I find it impossible online to get out some of his key moves like D +3 -> 1+2, the first part just doesn't register. I can do it in my sleep offline.

fuck me... I set aside a few hours to play this tonight and now I find out my disc drive is dead on my PS3... fucking a... fuck. I can't relax now for a few weeks cuz of this shit.

Anso said:
If only the arcade stick was as portable. For Sony pad players this is like THE thing to have in the pocket though.

I'm a admitted PSP fanboy and a d=pad player so I'll be playing this version alot. Plus it dosnt help that my PS3 BD drive is dying on me.

So I picked up the game yesterday because of the amazing Amazon deal. (Ended up being $8 after using some leftover trade in credit) and looking through this thread has been somewhat depressing.:lol Thankfully I fucking love Tekken so I don't care too much about the shortcomings, but has Namco said anything else about the online patch besides "It's coming?" I am just not sure if I missed anything about it.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Got to play the game offline today a bit. The effort given by Namco on this port is the biggest disappointment of this gen for me. The game is good, Namco's effort is bad.

I just hope Namco thinks understands their money loss is due to shitty effort, not lack of interest. People were interested. Everyone wanted to have Tony the Tiger Armor King.

I was playing around in practice mode earlier today.... PRACTICE mode.... and there was a large amount of slowdown. I was just working on some combos in the Manji Village stage (with motion blur on) and it kept chugging every time I'd move too fast or some shit. Fuck you, Namco.

Seems the PSP version gets the arcade mode with endings right (judging by those vids) but the endings still suck so much asshole. What were the animators/artists doing all this time? For the main character/nemesis (Jin) of the game to have a 2 minute video of near stills of him flying away on a helicoptor is atrocious.

GrayFoxPL

LiveFromKyoto said:
Man, this is so frustrating. I like the gameplay and feel myself slowly improving, but I main Feng and I find it impossible online to get out some of his key moves like D +3 -> 1+2, the first part just doesn't register. I can do it in my sleep offline.

Maybe you're going with wrong mindset onto it. Don't wait for character reaction, input as fast as you do offline. Normally it goes like this: Full input -->Lag-->Execution. The game doesn't lag in between the button inputs of a move, but it's hard to get used to not waiting for initial character reaction.
Btw. I fought an asshole Feng online not long ago. Every time I got him to minimal health he started to spam df+1 endlessly. Can't believe they still made that move a mid. Couldn't do anything. Couldn't crush it, because it's mid, couldn't outpoke it, because it's already as fast as jab and guardstuns. Couldn't duck because it's fucking mid! 3 rounds lost by this move alone. I felt like I was caught in infinite. I don't know who should feel worse. Him that he just spamed one move at brink of defeat or me that I couldn't get out of it. Later on trening mode I noticed the only way to get out of it is to sidestep left, but the timing is hard and that's offline.

Who also thinks that Namco overdone stage lightning and bloom effects in T6? The way lighting changes from one stage to another is too drastic. It's either too dark or too bright. It annoys the hell of me as it fucks up the customisation colors. What is the "real" color? How can I tell if on every stage it looks different due to crazy lighting? And bloom? WTF? Azazel shines so bright I barely can make up the shape of that huge chicken thing.

I forced myself to turn off bloom and got through arcade mode with Bruce to see how it goes visualy. It's lot easier on the eyes. It makes the visuals more "solid" thanks to antialiasing. Now I don't know - leave the blur on with grainy visuals or turn it off and have cleaner graphics? Eh.

Anyanka

GrayFoxPL said:
Btw. I fought an asshole Feng online not long ago. Every time I got him to minimal health he started to spam df+1 endlessly. Can't believe they still made that move a mid. Couldn't do anything. Couldn't crush it, because it's mid, couldn't outpoke it, because it's already as fast as jab and guardstuns. Couldn't duck because it's fucking mid! 3 rounds lost by this move alone. I felt like I was caught in infinite. I don't know who should feel worse. Him that he just spamed one move at brink of defeat or me that I couldn't get out of it. Later on trening mode I noticed the only way to get out of it is to sidestep left, but the timing is hard and that's offline.

It's not as fast as a jab. It's 14 frames and even on block.

Don't know what to tell you if you're outraged at this move, cause like 75% of the cast has some kind of d/f+1 style move.

Teknoman

:lol its really going to suck if Tekken 6 PSP plays better online through ad-hoc party mode than Tekken 6 PS3/360 standard online.

Either way, going to send my fight stick off for repairs soon, so hopefully i'll be able to get in alot more time with the game afterwards.

GrayFoxPL

Anyanka said:
It's not as fast as a jab. It's 14 frames and even on block.

Don't know what to tell you if you're outraged at this move, cause like 75% of the cast has some kind of d/f+1 style move.

Nah, I've been quick mid spamed by Bryan and Bob - not a big deal. I could get out of the loop in time. This felt different. On every single reaction I ate df+1. While my health slowly drained, I had flashbacks of T4 Lee's Hitman 1 spam close to wall.
It felt wierd, like it had wierd properity to stuff 10frame jabs. Most likely lag shenanigans.
But what's funny is that that guy knew exactly it would work. It's like he played the whole round normally then on 10% health df+1 spam unleashed that worked every round. :lol
I'm just pissed off I couldn't get out of it then. *Facepalm.

V_Arnold

This game is actually TWO games in one.
One is the regular fighting game just like others.

The other is the game what starts when you are knocked down.
I never ever have felt that helpless before, like here, fighting against my girlfriend's Jin, and getting punished again and again for not using the perfect wakeup method after a knockdown. Never ever have I got this "close to angry" before. I mean, yeah, a knockdown from an El Fuerte can be compared to that, but at least there there are some ex-involved options to get out NO MATTER WHAT, but here....

This part is hard, hehe.

GrayFoxPL

V_Arnold said:
This game is actually TWO games in one.
One is the regular fighting game just like others.

The other is the game what starts when you are knocked down.
I never ever have felt that helpless before, like here, fighting against my girlfriend's Jin, and getting punished again and again for not using the perfect wakeup method after a knockdown. Never ever have I got this "close to angry" before. I mean, yeah, a knockdown from an El Fuerte can be compared to that, but at least there there are some ex-involved options to get out NO MATTER WHAT, but here....

This part is hard, hehe.

Oki(zeme) - the punishment of a knocked down oponent is one of the best things in Tekken's fighting engine IMO. No other game does it so right and is as deep like in Tekken, because you're usually safe to get up in those games. I love it. Much more then juggles. So many possibilities. :D

y2dvd

GrayFoxPL said:
Oki(zeme) - the punishment of a knocked down oponent is one of the best things in Tekken's fighting engine IMO. No other game does it so right and is as deep like in Tekken, because you're usually safe to get up in those games. I love it. Much more then juggles. So many possibilities. :D

Agreed. The wake up game is a mindgame in itself. Most of my game is mixing it up by doing untechable juggle enders.

I tried playing this game at the arcades yesterday. It's not fun when tapping back get's me u/b and tapping down gives me d/f commands. Also, 3 would work in stand alone moves but not in combos. Makes no sense lol! Tilt controls ftl.

DrDogg

GrayFoxPL said:
Nah, I've been quick mid spamed by Bryan and Bob - not a big deal. I could get out of the loop in time. This felt different. On every single reaction I ate df+1. While my health slowly drained, I had flashbacks of T4 Lee's Hitman 1 spam close to wall.
It felt wierd, like it had wierd properity to stuff 10frame jabs. Most likely lag shenanigans.
But what's funny is that that guy knew exactly it would work. It's like he played the whole round normally then on 10% health df+1 spam unleashed that worked every round. :lol
I'm just pissed off I couldn't get out of it then. *Facepalm.

If you had blocked Feng's df+1, then jabbed (1 or 2) with any character other than Ganryu or Jack-6, you would've beaten his next df+1. If you got HIT with df+1, then you need to either BDC out of range and punish the whiff, or just block the next attack.

Either way, it's not a difficult attack to get around.

Lyte Edge

OH BOY A HATE VOICE MESSAGE SESSION IN TEKKEN! :D In another lag-filled match, I beat a guy just doing df+3, 3 with Alisa every round.

Him: "Look here you jockin bitch, yeah you don't even DESERVE that rank*, you punk-ass BASTARD!! Learn some damn new moves!!!!"

Me: lol u mad u got beat down with just one move lmao

Him: Well I'm BETTER THAN YO ASS USING HER. I'LL PUNK YOU INTO NEXT WEEK USING HER!!! FUCKIN' WHORE. YOU START JOCKIN'."

Me: u can't beat one move. What a scrub. lmao

Him: I hope you know you disgracing yourself. You belittling yourself. YOU SUCK. GO FIND ANOTHER PERSON TO FIGHT WITH

Me: hey, thanks for the voice messages-- comedy gold i can share with the interwebs. maybe u should be mad at urself for being too stupid to know how to counter low, SCRUB. OWNED.

Him: "Scrub? It's live. It's gonna be laggy. So if I was guardin, I'm not gonna be catching you low all the time. YOU KNOW DAT."

Me: not my fault u can't play this game well. u should sell it and go play madden or something, SCRUB.

*thanks to this match I'm now 3rd dan, 34-8 :lol

G0DLIKE

Yeah, I saw Tekken 6 PSP in the shops today. I sold my PSP because the only game I played was Dark Resurrection. I'm gonna have to buy another one.. Fuck.

Lyte Edge

G0DLIKE said:
Yeah, I saw Tekken 6 PSP in the shops today. I sold my PSP because the only game I played was Dark Resurrection. I'm gonna have to buy another one.. Fuck.

AUS/NZ? Someone else said that it was just priced display cases. If anything, it means next week is definitely the release date, despite the Japanese release date being next year.

Top Bottom