• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official TEKKEN 6 "Who needs a FADC? We got RAGE!" Thread

AAK said:
I'll be honest, I didn't have a very smooth transition... and I still have some difficulty doing a lot of commands that were easier on pad, but how I learned was by simple practice.

I took characters with really simple notations like Lili and just practiced moves again and again until I got comfortable with it. I choce Lili because her moveset was pretty much limited to d/b+4, d/f+3, d/f+3+4, d+3, etc. It just took me long to get comfortable with inputting commands on the stick especially for inputting d/b when you are on the left side of the screen. Was always conflicted on whether to push that way with my thumb (which was more accurate but my reactions with it were really slow that is needed for crouch dashing characters that I play) or pull with all 4 fingers which was fast and easy and didn't put a lot of stress on one phalange, but man I'm still so inaccurate with it. So yeah man, just practice :)

k thx for input... randomly reading news I came across this unintentionally:

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/jul/08/tips-switching-pad-joystick/

so I'm just slowly working my way. Might do some SSFIV to work on my directional input, then switch back to tekken for other stuff...

Sayah

AAK said:
I'll be honest, I didn't have a very smooth transition... and I still have some difficulty doing a lot of commands that were easier on pad, but how I learned was by simple practice.

I took characters with really simple notations like Lili and just practiced moves again and again until I got comfortable with it. I choce Lili because her moveset was pretty much limited to d/b+4, d/f+3, d/f+3+4, d+3, etc. It just took me long to get comfortable with inputting commands on the stick especially for inputting d/b when you are on the left side of the screen. Was always conflicted on whether to push that way with my thumb (which was more accurate but my reactions with it were really slow that is needed for crouch dashing characters that I play) or pull with all 4 fingers which was fast and easy and didn't put a lot of stress on one phalange, but man I'm still so inaccurate with it. So yeah man, just practice :)

And what a tournament season we're having. I know a lot of people were very dissatisfied with the character diversity @ EVO, but the MasterCup 5v5 tournament in Japan (biggest Tekken tournament in Japan) is about to finish and the semi finals are uploaded :eek:

Semi final one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcfYf8N-1FU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHsR5-VQB8c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QJFLU1OkBI

Semi Final two:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABct2pJY8Cw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXFgflWgmgE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI-qXVcjg3g

Damn those asian nations are beastly
That's some beastly Steve, Lars, Julia, and Xiayou players. Most impressed with that Xiayou. Her and Lars are very good with jumping and rolling all over the place and confusing people. It makes me want to practice with her. Her damage and combo outputs are not as strong as others but her tricks really make up for it.

Sayah

Do sticks make it easier to combo once you transition into them enough? I've been using dualshock all my life. Far too accustomed to it so I don't know if a transition to joysticks will fare well. If there's more combo potential with joysticks that may be harder to do with the dualshock, then I would like to try them out.

Sayah said:
Do sticks make it easier to combo once you transition into them enough? I've been using dualshock all my life. Far too accustomed to it so I don't know if a transition to joysticks will fare well. If there's more combo potential with joysticks that may be harder to do with the dualshock, then I would like to try them out.
I don't think so. At least not in this game. I think some things are easier on pads, tbh.

Sayah

I'm more interested to see the Tekken Wii U project. Not sure how the D-pad on that controller is so maybe that's another reason to switch over to joysticks.

Sayah

_dementia said:
I don't think so. At least not in this game. I think some things are easier on pads, tbh.

I am far too accustomed to pads although I still wanted to try it just to see how it's like.

AAK

It's all a matter of preference. I got kinda used to stick because my thumb actually really began to hurt when wave dashing and doing giant swings with Armor Kings. And I also felt that wavedashing was a bit easier with stick, but only in my case. EVERYTHING just depends on preference. The overwhelming majority of the Tekken 6 players in US (and I believe Europe as well) that play on PS3 use pad. The top 5 at EVO for Tekken 6 used pad as well.

But there is definitely no harm in experimenting and trying :) Pad also has the HUGE advantage of being much quieter and doesn't disturb roommates/family members :p

Sayah

Gonna have to see if I can test play a joystick, haha. Although, the lack of noise is always a plus. It's also one of the reasons I don't do voice chat.

tried some more last night and I think the grip that works for me is this:

ringmiddle_side.jpg

i"m not comfy 100% with it, but when I put my hand like that I have better control. ^_^ slowly getting there.

Sayah

Great Games AAK. I wish I could have played longer. Initially, I was going to suggest you do more grabbing but then you started getting opportunistic grabs in with Armor King in the later games which is great. Any suggestions for improvement for me?

And as you can probably see, I suck with everyone besides Nina, lol. I decided to change my direction with Tekken 6. Instead of mastering a lot of characters, I put all the effort and energy towards just one. It really takes time to learn the tweaks and tricks of each character and it makes it harder to master too many characters at once. Although, I feel as if I've exhausted my potential with Nina and probably will need to look towards an additional character for Tag 2. Looking through the roster, it's gonna be either Xiayou, Leo, Lee, or Yoshi.

AAK

Oh wow, Sayah's Nina is the real deal. I just couldn't compete or out-poke you and had to rely on massive haymakers from a distance to get some damage. But it's a lot of fun I had, and I definitely level up with each battle. :)

And there's no way anyone has maximized a character yet.... I'm still trying to perfect the JDCR combo of Armor King that includes a guranteed moonsault. As for Nina, try to learn the flapping butterfly (iWS+1) combo's. Like here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmxDT9mK9Ak

As for a secondary, I've never even attempted to dabble into Leo but he/she's definitely a really good character to master. Ling, Lee, and Yoshi are all so complex on their own right and I pretty much dropped using them and decided to focus on Hwoarang.

For sure Rolento, I'll definitely remember to post when we get some games on.

mr_boo

AAK said:
As for a secondary, I've never even attempted to dabble into Leo but he/she's definitely a really good character to master. Ling, Lee, and Yoshi are all so complex on their own right and I pretty much dropped using them and decided to focus on Hwoarang.
I'm by far not a Tekken expert, but Hwoarang seems a lot harder to learn than the others you've mentioned (maybe Yoshi being the exception). I look at Hwoarang's move list, and it's a bit mind boggling. I use Ling - I've always been taken her to be somewhat intuitive character to learn. But as I've said, this is from a non-expert opinion.

AAK

That's what I was implying, I chose to only focus on one of them for now :) And Lei IMO is equally as complex as Hwoarang... sooo many stances. Lee really really needs a lot of practice to be competitive. And IMO as a Ling player she truly shines when you mastered tech trapping and other wake up options.

Sayah

CcrooK said:
Leo is a fucking beast. Really enjoying how he...she plays. I think Leo and Ling will be my TTT2 team to start :D

Leo and Xiayou were the two characters I was just practicing with today, lol.

AAK said:
Oh wow, Sayah's Nina is the real deal. I just couldn't compete or out-poke you and had to rely on massive haymakers from a distance to get some damage. But it's a lot of fun I had, and I definitely level up with each battle. :)

And there's no way anyone has maximized a character yet.... I'm still trying to perfect the JDCR combo of Armor King that includes a guranteed moonsault. As for Nina, try to learn the flapping butterfly (iWS+1) combo's. Like here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmxDT9mK9Ak

For sure Rolento, I'll definitely remember to post when we get some games on.
Thanks, haha. Also, great games today as well. Something always has to come up for me whenever we're both playing. :/
Loving those parry's and attack grab blocks from Armor King, though. I also thought Armor King had extended grabs like King. You should try to get those in although you are already using his grabs to great potential.
Also, I would try to learn the flapping butterfly but it's hard to pull for me. I think that's one of those combos that works better on a stick because you need to duck and rise forward real fast. It's really great for taking opponents up against walls and dealing extra damage.

Sayah

Lei and Hwoarang are both pretty hard to master due to their various stances. I would also add Julia as one of the tougher characters to master. Her combos rely on using qcf attacks with consistency and they can be easy to mess up. People playing MvC or SF may think qcf attacks are cake on d-pad because they just require a quick thumb rotation but they definitely work differently in Tekken.

Sayah

RelentlessRolento said:
next time post when you guys get on... I've currently got time since I'm done moving and just doing paperwork to get everything sorted out for my masters.

I'll also post next time I get on.

Sayah said:
I'll also post next time I get on.

cool... I seem to miss when you guys are on but thanks for posting :p

if you see me jump online send an invite... I might hop on in a bit.

EDIT:

PSN is Rolento

if you send a friend request put in that its from GAF since I'm trying to keep my list on a good diet since I'm at max right now :_(

Sayah

RelentlessRolento said:
cool... I seem to miss when you guys are on but thanks for posting :p

if you see me jump online send an invite... I might hop on in a bit.

EDIT:

PSN is Rolento

if you send a friend request put in that its from GAF since I'm trying to keep my list on a good diet since I'm at max right now :_(

I'll send you a friend request next time I get on. Looking forward to matches. :)

AAK

Damn what a day, another one where I got destroyed by Nina :p

I guess another thing I can recommend, Sayah, is to maximize on the wall damage. I do notice how when I end up with a W! wall splat after a nice juicy combo you usually end it with the blonde bomb f,f+1+2. Maybe try dashing up and doing d/f+1,2,1+2. I think you'll get a lot meatier damage :)

GG's Rolento and Rhazer Fusion! After Sayah signed out we all had a bunch of great games. Was a lot of fun. :)

EDIT: And flapping butterfly isn't any easier on a stick :p (I've tried once upon a time) And here's some footage of SabreDabre of Germany doing it w/ a Pad ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXW33ww17Uo

Doomshine

New Tekken Crash videos are up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TJFqXlDe8A

They're also being uploaded to Garyoak99's account, but I prefer watching TekkenCrashS2's videos because he lumps all the matches in one video so it's harder to get spoiled by the running time of the video.

Garyoak's videos are better for archival purposes though.

AAK said:

I guess another thing I can recommend, Sayah, is to maximize on the wall damage. I do notice how when I end up with a W! wall splat after a nice juicy combo you usually end it with the blonde bomb f,f+1+2. Maybe try dashing up and doing d/f+1,2,1+2. I think you'll get a lot meatier damage :)

GG's Rolento and Rhazer Fusion! After Sayah signed out we all had a bunch of great games. Was a lot of fun. :)

EDIT: And flapping butterfly isn't any easier on a stick :p (I've tried once upon a time) And here's some footage of SabreDabre of Germany doing it w/ a Pad ;)

Yeah, I enjoyed our Dragunov vs A. King fights mostly... I'm falling into my same old trap of bulldogging too much. I need to work on my poking a bit more, but I'm more happy now with some of my execution a little more.

MightyKAC

So after being a certified Alica stalker for about a year I've finally decided to pick her up as my new alt. Any tricks, tips, or players from which I might watch/steal swag from via YouTube?

Sayah

AAK said:

I tried the d/f+1,2,f+1+2. You're right. It works rather well and takes much more damage. Just has to be timed right. Also tried doing that fluttering butterfly. Still failing at it. Although SabreDabre doesn't seem to do it as extensively as the video you posted earlier. I guess I'll have to start slow but it'll take hours of practice just to get it working. I often end up doing her u/f+1 attack after rising.

Sayah

MightyKAC said:
So after being a certified Alica stalker for about a year I've finally decided to pick her up as my new alt. Any tricks, tips, or players from which I might watch/steal swag from via YouTube?
Anti-Alisa guide.
Only posted this because knowing your weaknesses is the first step. If you happen to do d/b+1 and then press 2, she uses her one arm as a rocket missile. It can easily be ducked but if it does happen to work, you can follow up with f+1+2. That can extend the attack into a combo as I've learned from practicing with her. Just something I came across and thought I'd share. She's really fun to use so good luck.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Is Jay Cee in TTT2 exactly the same as Julia, or has she been given a number of new moves?

Sayah

Lyte Edge said:
Is Jay Cee in TTT2 exactly the same as Julia, or has she been given a number of new moves?
She's definitely got a lot of new moves......to the extent that people are saying she feels like a whole new character.

MightyKAC

Sayah said:
She's definitely got a lot of new moves......to the extent that people are saying she feels like a whole new character.
For all intents and purposes she is a different character so much so that I'm kinda hoping for Michelle to make a comeback with her old move set. That said however she is fun as hell to play and I dug the direction they took with her when I was trying her out. And thanks by the way for the video. It's helpful to know what I should and shouldn't be spamming :D

Sayah

MightyKAC said:
For all intents and purposes she is a different character so much so that I'm kinda hoping for Michelle to make a comeback with her old move set. That said however she is fun as hell to play and I dug the direction they took with her when I was trying her out. And thanks by the way for the video. It's helpful to know what I should and shouldn't be spamming :D
Michelle might make it into the console versions (I hope) along with Kunimitsu. Both of them really need to make a return. I was also hoping they would make some significant changes to either Eddy or Christie so they don't play exactly alike. Changing Anna's playstyle was definitely a success so it would be good to see similar results for one of the Capoeira players.
And no problem with the vid.

Doomshine

Flying Wonkey said:
Holy hell that Dasalgi (Steve) vs MBC (Bob) match had me on the edge of my seat. :O Freaking entertaining even though EVO2k11 had similiar characters and not so much fun.

And Standing Upper makes me want to pick up Zafina now ahahaha
Haha, yeah that match was crazy, they are both so aggressive.

Also I like the BT throw setup with Zafina @1:02:09. I've seen similar setups at the wall, but never in the open like that. I'm stealing that one!

AAK said:

Thank you AAK. Great games. I had alot of fun also. I haven't played Tekken 6 in such a long time that I forgot so much stuff. I need to start playing it again. Let me know anytime you want to play and get some matches in. :p

AAK

MightyKAC said:

Anything, Everything Alisa related:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCMOoWraBk&t=8m20s It specifically starts at 08:20 but be sure to check out the cheesy intro ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJqW4a-XejE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1STYakYZ10w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TntAjIp0dDo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r8J7MtK5nk

And as for Tekken Crash....

Hao vs MCB was also pretty crazy! Bob's Headbutt whiff's Feng's d/b+2! Never seen that happening! Had that headbutt connected, it would have been game over. A huge fan of Hao, seeing a Feng player make it so far in the competitive scene despite having such pathetic juggle damage. Was kinda depressing seeing the Zafina player get manhandled like that, but alas, here's to hoping she'd be improved for TTT2.

AAK

We're online right now! :)

Lyte Edge said:

I'llbe honest, I haven't played it like MightyKAC did but it from what I've seen her basic playstyle is exactly the same. When it comes to punishers, wall carry, wall combo's, okizeme, she seems identical to Julia. But a lot of julia's moves in T6 made her pretty top tier especially when against the wall, so they've reduced the properties on a lot of those moves (i.e. FC d/f+4,3 no longer wall splats HUGE NERF) and gave her a lot of new long range cross chops, drop kicks and such while adding a lot of King-sque moves like their moonsault, iSW and such. So now I'm honestly saying she's 80% Julia, 20% King. I don't think there's enough to warrant Michelle... unless they make Michelle brand new like they did Jun.

Doomshine

Finally had time to watch the Tekken Force videos. It may not be the highest level of play at all times, but it's always entertaining to watch. Devil Jin flowchart was pretty funny too.

I also realized that I think I have an old replay of me beating Bonus_Jin with Feng saved on my ps3, I'll have to check when I get home.

...now I have like 20+ videos of mastercup to catch up on and the WCG 2011 Korean qualifiers(?) on ldmaxi's account. It's almost too much Tekken... almost!

AAK

Watching Nin in the WCG qualifiers really astound me. Who in the word ducks Julia's iWR+1 on reaction?

And the MASTERCUP videos are a treat to watch :)

And as for other news, Rip got back to me saying that what he saw of TTT2 graphic wise in the arcade blows away TTT2 prologue of what Harada showed everyone @ comicon/evo. So I suppose my initial intuition that the console release of TTT2 is going to take major graphical hits to run properly will end up being true.

AAK said:
Watching Nin in the WCG qualifiers really astound me. Who in the word ducks Julia's iWR+1 on reaction?

And the MASTERCUP videos are a treat to watch :)

And as for other news, Rip got back to me saying that what he saw of TTT2 graphic wise in the arcade blows away TTT2 prologue of what Harada showed everyone @ comicon/evo. So I suppose my initial intuition that the console release of TTT2 is going to take major graphical hits to run properly will end up being true.

:(

Honestly if it loads faster than T6 and saves faster than T6, I'm happy.

Sayah

RelentlessRolento said:
:(

Honestly if it loads faster than T6 and saves faster than T6, I'm happy.
^^
Definitely this. Graphics don't matter as much to me. T6 was definitely a step down considering how fast the previous titles loaded despite the PS2 being infamous for its horrendous load times.

I also think the health bar needs to be increased for Tag 2. Attacks take more damage now and the damage only increases when the rages go in and out.

Sayah said:
^^
Definitely this. Graphics don't matter as much to me. T6 was definitely a step down considering how fast the previous titles loaded despite the PS2 being infamous for its horrendous load times.

I also think the health bar needs to be increased for Tag 2. Attacks take more damage now and the damage only increases when the rages go in and out.

TTT2 still has a long way of being finalized so no worries.

I personally like the high damage; i never liked how ever since MvC2 alot of tag based fighters have too much health or time outs :p I liked Pre MvC2 Vs games :(

Sayah

RelentlessRolento said:
TTT2 still has a long way of being finalized so no worries.

I personally like the high damage; i never liked how ever since MvC2 alot of tag based fighters have too much health or time outs :p I liked Pre MvC2 Vs games :(
I didn't play fighters back then although fighters are now really the only genre that defines gaming for me. I can't seem to get into anything else besides a few great RPG's this gen. like Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls.

In any case, having low health and high damage output leads to faster matches........which also means it's easier to have a lobby full of people without having to worry too much about waiting. It's more tolerable when there is spectator mode also which (unfortunately) MvC3 is lacking.

On another note, do you prefer to have the current Tag 2 system where one character is KO'd and the match ends (which also leads to faster matches) or would you rather have the match continued until both players are KO'd? Both the former and the latter instances provide different forms of strategy IMO. With the former, it leads to quite a lot of switching and constant health managing which makes matches more intense. In the latter, it gives ample room to make a good comeback despite losing your first character. I suppose I would be fine with either in a Tag title.

Sayah said:
I didn't play fighters back then although fighters are now really the only genre that defines gaming for me. I can't seem to get into anything else besides a few great RPG's this gen. like Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls.

In any case, having low health and high damage output leads to faster matches........which also means it's easier to have a lobby full of people without having to worry too much about waiting. It's more tolerable when there is spectator mode also which (unfortunately) MvC3 is lacking.

On another note, do you prefer to have the current Tag 2 system where one character is KO'd and the match ends (which also leads to faster matches) or would you rather have the match continued until both players are KO'd? Both the former and the latter instances provide different forms of strategy IMO. With the former, it leads to quite a lot of switching and constant health managing which makes matches more intense. In the latter, it gives ample room to make a good comeback despite losing your first character. I suppose I would be fine with either in a Tag title.

I grew up with the original Tag in arcades and always loved the intensity of at any chance you can win or lose no matter how far ahead you are. It's the original Ultra Combo of back then where it's in place to even the odds. Heck, the original TTT had a semi rage feel in it as well ^_^

LowParry

Hey, if anyone on PSN wants to add me: Downplay.

I may not be on much but I'll play some T6 here and there. Come SFxT and TTT2? I'm all over it :D

AAK

MarkMan said:
TTT2 is awesome. I played it too much the last few weeks!

There is no such thing!

But congrats on winning the award at EVO :) Also watched the gamespot clips of you beating the crap out of Harada w/ King/Eddy/Julia :p bad idea man, now he's going to nerf the living hell out of hem! (I plan on spending a lot of time w/ Julia)

In other news, I was realized the throw break animations on Bob's side throws are unique! Mind-blown! 500 hours of time spent into this game and I'm still figuring out so many things. I also just found out that Heihachi's headbutt causes B! at another gather at a friend's place, I can't see myself putting this game down!

MarkMan said:
TTT2 is awesome. I played it too much the last few weeks!

Argh you tease :p

Dammit Hybrid get released already I want to get a taste of this stuff!

In other news, I was realized the throw break animations on Bob's side throws are unique!

wai what? holy hell How'd I miss this. brb

Doomshine

Man, hours of TT2... I'll never get anything done with all this Tekken to watch.

Anyway, turns out it was actually Bonus_Jin I had a replay of, from 2009. I was only 4th Dan at the time so I'm surprised I even got matched up with him.

Top Bottom