• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Thread of the PS3 Madden '10 GAF Online Franchise

Jtrizzy

Somebody go accept the invite to the franchise so I can make sure the password is working etc. As far as I know it's fine to post the password here since you have to be a member to view the online/matchup forum.

Jtrizzy

Texans are now open, Bumblebeetuna dropped out. If Dskillshtown wants them, then the Bears will be the only remaining team.

Jtrizzy

I've been reading through the rules and guidelines for the 360 league, as well as reading this article about some of the features that made it, as well as the ones that didn't.

Let's be clear, these are only suggestions based on reading OS, the 360 thread, and the article above. Don't freak out if you see something you don't like.

The first issue I see here is that there is no salary cap so free agency is unregulated and there is no CPU trade logic. Because of this I suggest we simply play with the real life NFL rosters all season long and maybe even turn off injuries if people want to do that.

This way we won't have to decide what trades are fair and deal with all the extra headaches that go along with a trade/free agency system that doesn't include a salary cap and doesn't order the waiver wire.

Major trades are rare in the NFL, so I think I'm fine just playing with the real rosters.

I will have control over all rosters on the web site, but it may be that I have to re invite everyone once the next roster update comes out. Vick is the only player I can think of that is missing right now and I'm not sure how to get him in mid season for example.

So here is a list of some issues and what I propose:

Difficulty: All-Pro. There are no sliders as of now, hopefully that gets patched.

Quarter Length: either 6 or 7 minutes with 15 second clock advance.

Trades: off, will be updated weekly through week six in the real NFL season. I don't think the other commissioners will want to get together and decide to approve every trade, but if they do, I will.

Free Agency: unapproved agency gets you booted from the league. One person can really fuck everything up for the whole league. It's basically a free for all with no waiver system.

Injuries: off. If we aren't allowing user created trades, I think we should keep injuries set to off it might be more fun. The alternative would be that if a player/team suffers a catastrophic injury we can open up free agency to the players who haven't been signed to a real life NFL team so that a team isn't screwed all season.

Anyway, just some stream of consciousness thoughts here. Hopefully we can decide on all this stuff in a civil manner. People have to remember that this is an extremely bare bones franchise mode and is more of a league mode than anything.

you can read more here: http://www.operationsports.com/forums/madden-nfl-football/345970-online-franchise-has-issues.html

mbmonk

I would like to play games that at least resembles what is played on Sunday's. In real NFL football they don't go for it on every 4th down. They hardly ever go for it on 4th down.

So I vote for some small limitation on 4th downs. Just my opinion.

I am already in a a league with my friend (just us two) so I already activated it. It seems like you misspelled my name in the OP/List. Assassin47, you are missing one S.

Nightz

I think some of the major draws of franchise mode are free ageny, trades and injuries. I mean, that's the point of the mode: to take your franchise and improve it enough to win a championship. If we keep the no trade rule, weaker franchises will have a tougher time with the rosters that they have. That said, I feel that we should allow injuries, free agency and trades, with the latter two subject to approval from the commishes. I'd be willing to do the work associated with trade approvals and keeping track of the waiver wire system.

I have a couple more ideas to throw around, but I gotta go to work now. I'll post when I'm at the office.:lol

Barrett2

Is there a rule against calling Thunder Smoke on every defensive play? Thing is pure magic against CPU, but i'll probably have to mix it up against actual humans.

SMOKE

Banned
Afrikan said:
I'll still play Smoke and whoever for the 49ers...I believe there is like 4 of us out there...we can have a mini tourny for the team.

So it is me, Smoke.....who else?

edit-

cough cough....huh.... you must be coming down with that Alex Smith.

:D

That was a good one:lol

Whenever you ready man I am on all day

Jtrizzy

Nightz said:
I think some of the major draws of franchise mode are free ageny, trades and injuries. I mean, that's the point of the mode: to take your franchise and improve it enough to win a championship. If we keep the no trade rule, weaker franchises will have a tougher time with the rosters that they have. That said, I feel that we should allow injuries, free agency and trades, with the latter two subject to approval from the commishes. I'd be willing to do the work associated with trade approvals and keeping track of the waiver wire system.

I have a couple more ideas to throw around, but I gotta go to work now. I'll post when I'm at the office.:lol

Yeah, like I said just throwing stuff out there based on what I read at OS. If Gregor is willing to vote on trades and and free agency I certainly am. That is certainly something I don't want to be doing by my self.

Let's hope they can patch some of this stuff before we begin. People should read this thread at OS, as well as the 360 league thread, it will help you form opinions etc.

Now we have to wait for Farve and Vick!...by the way does anyone else have problems getting to the franchise website? I've been getting the same message "Server connection down. Please try again in a few moments." since last night.

Edgeward

Oh, the code is on the back of the manual? I was wondering where that damn thing was, I had assumed it would be on the other slip, but that was just a promo for sprint or whatever. I'll look for it tonight when I get home then.

Shurs

Favre to the Vikings!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4406963

wlrmms.gif

Jtrizzy

Yeah everyone just accept my friend request and activate the code. For those who already accepted invites, stay in and we'll fuck around in that one before the real thing starts.

I do think I'll have to start it over to include the Favre/Vick roster update coming out tomorrow.

Jtrizzy

OK finally got the website going. Someone make a trade just so I can mess around with shit. This league will be just for tinkering and testing things till the roster update comes out.

I am able to add and drop players freely, which should make things easy. We just need to organize with regard to waivers/free agency.

I would really like to play as the Bengals. I live in Cincinnati and im a fan. Thing is, im going to FL this Wednesday and im staying for 10 days. Im getting married so no bringing the PS3 with me.

If its cool, I can play when I get back. Be back the 28th.

FYI...I'm going to activate my code tonight when I get home from work..Which is quite late.

Also, I'm assuming we're using actual NFL rosters, but has it been suggested or considered doing a fantasy draft to create the teams? Either way (actual roster or fantasy) I'm still interested.

mbmonk

I tried to join the league; I got a message stating that the comish must enable 'auto join'. I sent freind request to eveyone in the AFC East. Looking forward to it.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
mbmonk said:
I tried to join the league; I got a message stating that the comish must enable 'auto join'. I sent freind request to eveyone in the AFC East. Looking forward to it.

Same here.

Didn't know we were starting already. Thought we might wait for the roster update tomorrow.

Nightz

dskillzhtown said:
Same here.

Didn't know we were starting already. Thought we might wait for the roster update tomorrow.
I think this one is just for us to screw around. Real thing won't start until after the roster update.

It keeps asking me for a password to join. I don't see it anywhere in the thread, but I am kind of tired after my 4 mile run.

As far as setting go I would like to keep the regular rosters and not do a fantasy draft. I also like keeping trades, FA's and injuries on.

Jtrizzy

yeah this is just for fun and to get everyone on my friends list and activated with regard to the online franchise code.

I just changed the auto join back to the way it was. I thought it might be that any random could join, but that isn't the case apparently. The password is sports.

and no there is not Fantasy draft, we're using the real rosters.

Jtrizzy

Updated list of who needs to join/contact me I'll be working on this tonight:

Invites out, just need to join
gregor_7777
captain_n
edgeward34
dskillzhtown
mittelos (needs to accept my friend invite, but has activated)

Need to accept my friend request AND Activate:
cartridge blower
oneheero
thegloomypickle
thomasbk
gscottforthewin

Has not activated but accepted friend request:
gqman2121
Union Carbine

mmolinajr has claimed the Texans, so the Jags are now the last team left.

Afrikan

SMOKE said:
That was a good one:lol

Whenever you ready man I am on all day

ok I'm off 8pm Pacific time....should be home around 8:15pm free until 11:00pm if you're are available.

so is just me and Smoke that needs to play?

5min qtrs? accelerated clock?....what difficulty level?

Um, what's wrong with going for it on 4thdown? It's a risk/reward scenario, and should be left up to the offense to decide. It's hardly cheating, and plenty of NFL teams go for it when they're between the 30 and 40.

Nightz

Mr. Blonde said:
Um, what's wrong with going for it on 4thdown? It's a risk/reward scenario, and should be left up to the offense to decide. It's hardly cheating, and plenty of NFL teams go for it when they're between the 30 and 40.
Nothing's wrong with going for it on 4th down. We're trying to get some sort of realism in the league, so of course there will be points when you have to go for it on 4th. BUT I think what we want to avoid is the user that always goes for it on 4th down, even when it's 4th and 10 in the beginning of the first quarter, which we all run into in regular online games. No teams in the NFL would do that, so we just want to find the right balance and set rules for when it's most reasonable to go for it on 4th down.

Edgeward

Boy, do I feel really dumb for not seeing the huge back page detailing online franchise and the code on the manual. Although to defend myself, EA really skimps on those colorless 2-page manuals are only good as emergency tissue. Still dumb me though. =\

Jtrizzy

It scared me too for a second, I was thinking it would be an insert.

Just for fun, here is a shot of the Office of the Commissioner:
0818092350.jpg

Use of this image without the express written consent of Jtrizzy will result in a ban.

It looks terrible now, but in a few weeks the 52" flat screen will be here. If you're wondering why there is a laptop on the old tv, it's being used as an wireless bridge to my 20 gig until the internet guys can get here. It gets the best signal when elevated lol. Using my roommates laptop while he is out of town to check the website. and yes I prefer Madden on the PS3 even though you can see the Xbox. I moved the whole setup from my room so I could have the dual screens while the roommate is out of town.

Nightz said:
Nothing's wrong with going for it on 4th down. We're trying to get some sort of realism in the league, so of course there will be points when you have to go for it on 4th. BUT I think what we want to avoid is the user that always goes for it on 4th down, even when it's 4th and 10 in the beginning of the first quarter, which we all run into in regular online games. No teams in the NFL would do that, so we just want to find the right balance and set rules for when it's most reasonable to go for it on 4th down.

I don't see why we need rules regarding this though; if someone is crazy enough to do that, then let them suffer the consequences if they can't convert.

SMOKE

Banned
Ok jtrizzy, im the official owner of the 49ers for this league:D

It was a hard fought game between me and africkan (good fucking game dude) who can pass his ass off (niners v niners).

Went to OT and I won 42-48 on a frank gore +70yd scamper.

I'm ready!!!

Afrikan

SMOKE said:
Ok jtrizzy, im the official owner of the 49ers for this league:D

It was a hard fought game between me and africkan (good fucking game dude) who can pass his ass off (niners v niners).

Went to OT and I won 42-48 on a frank gore +70yd scamper.

I'm ready!!!

thankx for not mentioning that 4 yard field goal I missed to win the game with 30 secs to go in the 4th qtr. :lol

looks like I'm the one coming down with the Alex Smithies......*cough cough*

edit-I'm sorry 9 yard field goal.

*dies*

Jtrizzy

Here is where we are right now:

Invites out, just need to join:
gregor_7777
captain_n
dskillzhtown
mittelos (needs to accept my friend invite, but has activated franchise code)

Need to accept my friend request AND activate franchise code:
cartridge blower
gscottforthewin
ojdakiller
oneheero
thegloomypickle
thomasbk

Has not activated franchise code but accepted friend request:
gqman2121
Union Carbine
Afrikan (if you are playing)

Games that can be played NOW for week one of test franchise:
Titans @ Steelers
Dolphins @ Falcons
Eagles @ Panthers (28-27)
Vikings @ Browns
Niners @ Cardinals
Skins @ Giants
Rams @ Seahawks
Packers @ Bears
PM and PSN message your opponent. Contact info is in the OP

News and Notes

Thanks to everyone who has gotten all of the sign up stuff out of the way. 20/32 is pretty good imo! What I want to do is get everyone in, play a week to warm up and see if there are any major issues. Once this one is full and the rosters come out I will send invites to the real thing.

There is a chat room that I will leave open all season, and I hope you all will join it when possible. It really makes my life easier. Chat is much easier than sending messages over and over.

Afrikan, do you want the Jags or do we need one more? Mmolina switched to the texans.

Rosters with Vick and Favre will be relesased tomorrow morning, but we are still going to wait a few more days to start. We should be hearing something with regard to patch #1 in the next few days, so obviously we want to wait to see if that happens. If not, we will go ahead and get started. We know that it will fix the ridiculous amount of holding calls on fg's/xp's, which is really fucking annoying and can be game breaking to say the least.

Kryptonic

I wish my copy of the game would arrive already (coming from gamefly). Should be here hopefully tomorrow. If there is still a spot open I would love to join in, albeit I haven't played a football game for quite sometime.

Kryptonic83 is my PSN

If there's no more spots that's cool too, not 100% sure I'm gonna keep the game but definitely looking forward to trying it out.

Jtrizzy

So here is a list of some rules/issues and what I propose:

Difficulty: All-Pro. There are no sliders as of now, hopefully that gets patched.

Quarter Length: Either 6 or 7 minutes with 15 second clock advance.

Trades: On. Nightz and I are willing to monitor, is Gregor?

Free Agency: Same with trades, it will have to be monitored unless there is a patch. Waiver order will be determined either by team rating or record from previous season.

Injuries: I assume people want to leave this on, but I could go either way.

Going for it on 4th: There will be some kind of rule on this, just not sure what is it is yet. I've always hated playing against people who go for it every time, and that will not be allowed. As FMT said in his OP, it is sad that this has to even be explained, but we'll figure it out.

User catches on offense: This is not allowed in the 360 league, and I think it should be the same here. Rocket catching has always plagued Madden, but it doesn't have to. We can debate this however.

Deadlines: The franchise will move forward on Monday at 2 AM EST and Thursday at 2 AM EST. The times in the 360 league don't work for me, as I am either working or drinking on Saturday nights.

I'm going to dive back into the 360 thread as well as stuff at OS and PastaPadre to see what else needs to be decided. For the most part I think simply mimicing the 360 league is how it will work, so go read the op in that thread and bring whatever objections you may have back here.

thomasbk

I dont have the game yet ... i dont live in the states, so it takes about a week to get it shipped here.

So i guess i wont be on the test franchise if you're already starting it.

PSN id: TBKkiller

Jtrizzy

No problem Thomas, we might just sim your game since this is just for testing things out. Yes CB, I am looking for any advice you guys have with regard to rules and really anything league related.

I activated tonight and accepted your friend request.

I'd be for keeping injuries on.

I'd be in support of trades/FA.

I'd also be in support of saying you can't go for it on 4th down, until the 4th quarter. Under what circumstances can you go for it on 4th down in the 4th quarter....Those specifics would need to be further clarified.

Jtrizzy

Sounds good. Get with Dskillzhtown so you guys can play week one of the trial league. He just needs to accept the invite, and he's on point with this stuff so it should be easy to get in touch with him via pm or on psn.

Ok so I took some time last night to practice with the seahawks last night and they aren't too bad. They have a solid passing game, but the running game needs some work. J. Jones can't break a tackle to save his life, but TJ Houshslkfjsdlfj whatever is a beast.

I'll be gone on vacation next week Tues. - Sun. Not sure if you can just sim my games or give me a loss. Is there a week by week time frame you have to play games? Or can you jump ahead of schedule if the guys you need to play are online?

As far as the rules go I like what Jtrizzy posted, but I do have a few questions. Say you make a league rule that you "can't" user catch. Does that mean if the ball is tipped in the air you can't take control of your guy and go for it? Are we specifically talking about "rocket catches"? Now I have seen a few unusual catches in previous Madden games, but I am assuming that a rocket catch is when a user beams the ball hard as possible then switches to the WR and presses triangle to catch it. This happens so fast that it is damn near impossible to defend.

I kind of like keeping the setting at All-Pro because we can practice other users online with the same speed and game settings. 5-7 min qtrs would be ideal, but I'm not really picky on that issue.

Keep all trades and FA open with the commish monitoring.

Now going for it on 4th down should be used for typical situations, but what if the game is still close and you are on the 36 yard line with 4th down and 2 to go. You might not have a great kicker and punt might actually hurt you because the other player can run the ball or dink and dunk down the field. If someone went for it on that situation I wouldn't be upset by it, but not sure how you guys feel about it. Now if you are backed up in your own territory while the game is still close with plenty of time then you shouldn't be going for it on 4th for really any reason at all.

Jtrizzy

Mmolinajr is now the Texans, which leaves the Jags for Afrikan if he wants to play. If not, it goes to Kryptonic.

Nightz

mbmonk, are you available to play anytime today?

Jtrizzy, I sent you a bogus trade proposal just to see how the trade system works.

Top Bottom