• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Thread of the PS3 Madden '10 GAF Online Franchise

mittelos

Jtrizzy, I accepted your friend request and invite. Should be good to go. Been messing around with the game- my defense...oh man, so bad!:lol

Can someone please explain to me how someone gets an unfair advantage by being able to go for it on fourth down?

I want to be able to go for it on 4th down if it's 4th and 3 at my opponent's 36.

Barrett2

Played a few games with the Giants last night. Definitely liking the slower pace, I can actually see my receivers now and decide who to throw to.

Jtrizzy

Mr. Blonde said:
Can someone please explain to me how someone gets an unfair advantage by being able to go for it on fourth down?

I want to be able to go for it on 4th down if it's 4th and 3 at my opponent's 36.

That isn't the type of situation we are talking about. I just don't want you going for it on 4th and 3 from your own 36 unless you are losing in the 4th quarter...stuff like that. We will clearly define the rules, and as with all rules we are certainly open to suggestions.

I'm out till around ten pm est, but will update a lot more stuff when I get home. Really glad to see this coming along so well. There are one or two people I'm getting concerned about, as they haven't really been in contact but I'll try again tonight.

Ok, well I don't see why a rule is necessary. If someone wants to sabotage their own chances by doing stupid things, then let them.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Mr. Blonde said:
Ok, well I don't see why a rule is necessary. If someone wants to sabotage their own chances by doing stupid things, then let them.

Its about playing a Sim League and trying to keep it as close to real life football, not nfl blitz

Jtrizzy, accepted your friend invite but went to 'Franchise Invites' and nothing's coming up. Am I doing something wrong or maybe you could resend it. Thanks.

Oh, and I already activated my franchise code a couple days ago. So I should be good with that.

EDIT: I searched the franchise and joined manually. All is good!

Dynamic3

So what day is the invite for the real deal going out, I'd like to get some trades on the grill.

My whole point about the 4th down fiasco is that setting a definitive rule takes away some of the fun being able to coach a team your own way. Obviously the guys that go for it every 4th down are peasants, but if I want to once in a blue moon call a fake punt when I'm on my own 40, I should be able to. Teams in the NFL are able to, and do. It's not like running a pass/run play on 4th down boosts all your players stats or gives you any unfair advantage.

People who mess with the bull are gonna get the horns sooner or later. Simple as that.

What I want to know is are we going to wait for the first patch, stuff that will fix the holding on field goals? I literally have lost two online games because I was going for a last second field goal, I make it, game calls holding, and the buzzer runs out. Insanely frustrating.

Maybe we should just set a rule where you decline when someone is called for holding on a field goal, that is if we don't wait for a patch.

Dynamic3 said:
So what day is the invite for the real deal going out, I'd like to get some trades on the grill.

My whole point about the 4th down fiasco is that setting a definitive rule takes away some of the fun being able to coach a team your own way. Obviously the guys that go for it every 4th down are peasants, but if I want to once in a blue moon call a fake punt when I'm on my own 40, I should be able to. Teams in the NFL are able to, and do. It's not like running a pass/run play on 4th down boosts all your players stats or gives you any unfair advantage.

People who mess with the bull are gonna get the horns sooner or later. Simple as that.

This. Out of the box coaching is a risk/reward scenario and should not be restricted by rules. Even NFL teams do things differently, at least until the rest of the league catches on.

CB3:You do realize that NFL teams go for it on 4th down, even successful ones such as Bill Belichick and Tony Dungy when the situation warrants it?

The only rules we should have are ones to prevent people from cheating. Doing things "differently" isn't cheating.

CB3

Mr. Blonde said:
This. Out of the box coaching is a risk/reward scenario and should not be restricted by rules. Even NFL teams do things differently, at least until the rest of the league catches on.

CB3:You do realize that NFL teams go for it on 4th down, even successful ones such as Bill Belichick and Tony Dungy when the situation warrants it?

I know. We usually have it pretty open in the 360 leagues. Use at your own discretion. But thats because most of us have been around for a while. We've ran into issues with newer guys in the past. Thats all im sayin

thomasbk

Jtrizzy said:
Need to accept my friend request AND activate franchise code:
oneheero (unless someone wants to vouch for this guy he might get dropped. I've sent him multiple PM's and a friend request and is the only one I haven't heard from)
thegloomypickle (waiting on game in the mail)
thomasbk (waiting on game in the mail)

Is there a Madden friend thing that i dont know about? or is this regular PSN friend requests?
Cause I didnt get a request... I sent you one and you already accepted it.

My PSN id is 'TBKkiller', not 'thomasbk' just incase there is a mixup! :p

Jtrizzy

Yes. When you get the game, there is a code on the back of the manual that you must activate. This is something EA did so that people are less likely to rent the game. You can purchase the code online as well, but anyone joining a franchise would be crazy to rent the game for that long.

Jtrizzy said:
We pretty much have every one accounted for other than Sckyx for the Cowboys.

OMG....! Please I want the Cowboys if he is a no show. ROMO!

I had an awesome game against my friend today. He was up 17-7 with like 2 minutes left. I had 2 4th down conversions successful and eventually scored on a post route 30 yards down away. 1:09 left. Onside kick..GOOD! (he had standard return set :p). I drive down the field, 13 seconds left, I get a 18 yard TD grab and win. 2 Trophies just like that (one being a gold). He logged off without saying anything :lol

CB3

Lion Heart said:
OMG....! Please I want the Cowboys if he is a no show. ROMO!

romo-large.jpg

RomoFail.jpg

romo.jpg

Jtrizzy

Games that can be played NOW for week one of test franchise:
Titans @ Steelers
Dolphins @ Falcons
Eagles @ Panthers (28-27)
Vikings @ Browns
Niners @ Cardinals (24-0)
Skins @ Giants
Rams @ Seahawks
Packers @ Bears
Chiefs @ Ravens
Lions @ Saints
Chargers @ Raiders
PM and PSN message your opponent. Contact info is in the OP

Union Carbine has accepted my friend request but doesn't respond to any of my messages requesting that he activate the franchise code, even when I see him playing this game. (fucking annoying)

Syckx/Oneheero hasn't posted on GAF in two weeks, and his last (and only) post relating to this league was three weeks ago. If I don't hear from him tomorrow, I'm giving the Boys to Lion Heart/Assassin47, especially considering his level of participation in the thread, not to mention already playing me in week one of the test league.

Other than those two, everything is coming along very nicely, although I'd like to see the rest of you guys go ahead and accept Franchise invites and play a game.

gregor_7777, dskillzhtown, ojdakiller, and gscottforthewin still need to accept Franchise invites.

Tbkkiller and Gloomy pickle are waiting for the game to arrive.

Most likely we now have the Panthers and Jaguars available.

Kyrptonic has first dibs either Afrikan or Oneheero's spot, and I'm keeping a spot for Afrikan since he played for the Niners.

oneHeero

I'm here, new job and gaf is blocked on internet so not as active since gotta wait til i get home around 6 to do my net surfing. by time i read espn/cowboys i skim gaf snd go to games/family lol. but trust me im active, been in several gaf clans and active.

i sent several invs to jtrizzy but psn is full . secondly, i just received my pm 2 days ago(joined yesterda) in regards to the league. so not like i was late.

i have aim, phone to text me, im usually always have ps3 on and switch through tv and game to check messages.

so def active just dont post in online much til i saw madden topic in gaming area.

Jtrizzy said:
Games that can be played NOW for week one of test franchise:
Titans @ Steelers
Dolphins @ Falcons
Eagles @ Panthers (28-27)
Vikings @ Browns
Niners @ Cardinals (24-0)
Skins @ Giants
Rams @ Seahawks
Packers @ Bears
Chiefs @ Ravens
Lions @ Saints
Chargers @ Raiders
PM and PSN message your opponent. Contact info is in the OP

Union Carbine has accepted my friend request but doesn't respond to any of my messages requesting that he activate the franchise code, even when I see him playing this game. (fucking annoying)

Syckx/Oneheero hasn't posted on GAF in two weeks, and his last (and only) post relating to this league was three weeks ago. If I don't hear from him tomorrow, I'm giving the Boys to Lion Heart/Assassin47, especially considering his level of participation in the thread, not to mention already playing me in week one of the test league.

Other than those two, everything is coming along very nicely, although I'd like to see the rest of you guys go ahead and accept Franchise invites and play a game.

gregor_7777, dskillzhtown, ojdakiller, and gscottforthewin still need to accept Franchise invites.

Tbkkiller and Gloomy pickle are waiting for the game to arrive.

Most likely we now have the Panthers and Jaguars available.

Kyrptonic has first dibs either Afrikan or Oneheero's spot, and I'm keeping a spot for Afrikan since he played for the Niners.

Jtrizzy, I wonder why I don't see anything under franchise invites. I activated my code awhile ago, but I don't see anything there in the invite screen. Is it possible to resend? I'll check again tonight. Last time I checked was a couple days ago. The servers were down last night.

oneHeero

posting from cell, excuse poor grammar.

just fyi, im not sycx or styx w/e it is. gaf name is oneheero psn is f1nestone. sycx wanted boy first i replied im available if he backs out. just got pm 2 days ago about joining, yesterday i joined around 7pm, u posted today about not accepting yet, check online beforehand. i even sent a psn to jtrizzy in regards to psn. so dont know why im getting the warning if u hadnt checkd psn and/or franchise to see if i accepted.

oneHeero said:
posting from cell, excuse poor grammar.

just fyi, im not sycx or styx w/e it is. gaf name is oneheero psn is f1nestone. sycx wanted boy first i replied im available if he backs out. just got pm 2 days ago about joining, yesterday i joined around 7pm, u posted today about not accepting yet, check online beforehand. i even sent a psn to jtrizzy in regards to psn. so dont know why im getting the warning if u hadnt checkd psn and/or franchise to see if i accepted.

It's cool, don't worry about it. We just want to verify everyone is around and ready to go in time.

These things are difficult to manage and require a lot of communication. Getting this many GAFers to coordinate anything is next to impossible. :D

RE the 4th down rule: My vote is we play it by ear. If someone starts to clearly abuse the system, we can talk about implementing a hard and fast rule. I'd like to leave the choice up to the owners how to play their games. Clearly though, going for it more often than even the most progressive coaches in the NFL would be stepping over the line.

@Jtrizzy - I think I have the OP as updated as can be, but let me know if I've missed any of your updates or team assignments.

oneHeero

gregor7777 said:
It's cool, don't worry about it. We just want to verify everyone is around and ready to go in time.

These things are difficult to manage and require a lot of communication. Getting this many GAFers to coordinate anything is next to impossible. :D
i sounded like a dick right? my bad was annoyed but definitely shouldnt have seem that rude, so apologies i just dont like blame if its not for me :p

nonetheless, i didnt get a franchise inv either, pm said there was one but when i checked i had nothing.

i searched for gaf and found it :) joined and ready up.

oneHeero

yup i tried either neogaf or gaf and it found it no problems. think 3 leagues came up but ours was the obvious one.

can i play my 1st game its against ai. i dont know anyone who wants to play as TB lol

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Mr. Blonde said:

The only rules we should have are ones to prevent people from cheating. Doing things "differently" isn't cheating.

I totally disagree. We need some guidelines because you end up with people not punting at all and going for it all game. THAT is not what we want in the league. Atleast I don't.

The notion of letting people do whatever they want doesn't work. I have been in enough leagues and all you get are people pissed because someone uses a money play every 4th down.

oneHeero

dskillzhtown said:
I totally disagree. We need some guidelines because you end up with people not punting at all and going for it all game. THAT is not what we want in the league. Atleast I don't.

The notion of letting people do whatever they want doesn't work. I have been in enough leagues and all you get are people pissed because someone uses a money play every 4th down.
I agree. i can understand 4th down plays on anything with 4th and 5 or less but not in the 1st half or using money plays or definitely not when ur up and just trying to waste time instead of getting ur D up to play instead of going for it on 4th and 10 using a money play just to win easy instead of punting and giving ur d the chance to step up and make a stop.

GQman2121

Banned
I think this trial run is a good idea so that all of us can get familiar with how the real season is going to go down.

Edgeward -- I'm down to play tonight if you're going to be around.

I've been playing all of my games on the slow speed. I'll have to start practising on normal or whatever it is. Shame you can't change it yet. I like Slow.

oneHeero

gregor7777 said:
I've been playing all of my games on the slow speed. I'll have to start practising on normal or whatever it is. Shame you can't change it yet. I like Slow.
we arent playing with default speed?

Nightz

oneHeero said:
we arent playing with default speed?
Default speed online is normal, whereas the default for offline is slow. We don't have the option to change the online speed unfortunately. Hopefully they patch that in.

dskillzhtown said:

That's why they call me MONEY! LOL... jp....Anyway I sent a PM to Flukie so hopefully we can get our game in tonight. I'll be on around 9pm eastern time. If he can't play maybe another gafer will want to practice or something.

Edgeward

GQman2121 said:
I think this trial run is a good idea so that all of us can get familiar with how the real season is going to go down.

Edgeward -- I'm down to play tonight if you're going to be around.

Yea, I can play anytime after 7ish PST tonight. Let me know what works for you.

Jtrizzy

Oneheero, sorry about the confusion. For some reason on I thought you're Gaf tag was Syckx, even though when I think about it I remember the tag. Like Gregor said getting 32people organized can be a pain, but we are basically done now!

You are already in as the boys. I'm gonna go on now and re invite those of you having trouble.

Just heard from Union Carbine as well, so that means that only the Jaguars are left for Afrikan or Kryptonic.

SMOKE

Banned
thomasbk said:
OK! Nevermind then! :p

Can't wait to kick all of your asses with TO!... i mean... Antonio Bryant?

Ha! Thats funny, im taking my NINERS all the way baby and I will lead the league in rushing.:D

Jtrizzy

OK, so I resent the invites to the following: (is it possible I have the wrong PSN ID? spelling below is how I have it in on my PS3)

gregor_7777
ojdakiller
gscottforthewin

Tbkkiller and Gloomy Pickle are waiting for the game.
Union Carbine is going to activate later tonight.

Let's get some games rolling today/tonight if possible!

Dskillz and Oneheero(f1nestone) you guys can play the computer for your games, since your opponents in week one are still waiting on the game.

Gscottforthewin, same for you unless we can get the Jags done tonight.

I will move the league forward at the time I posted earler (2 am EST on Monday)

Gregor, I will create a (mostly) finalized OP when I get home tonight. I'll be done with it by tomorrow.

As far as the fourth down thing--I'm putting my foot down on this one. There will be some kind of rule, although I will try to be as liberal as possible with it, as I do understand where Mr. Blonde is coming from.

The whole reason we are doing this league is so that we don't have to play against fucktards who run the hurry up same play on 4th and 8 from their own 35 in the first quarter of a tied game.

cool, I'll check again when I get home. It's odd that you can join open leagues on the website, but not view your invites or join passworded leagues.

Jtrizzy

not surprising though. The online franchise is definitely an unfinished product, and we are the beta testers to a degree. It is more than functional enough for us to have a great time with it though.

oneHeero

Sweet, I'll play my game today. Sorry for confusion as well. And hi Lion, lol sorry bout the boys. But been dieing for online franchise and want to use my fav team :p

Dynamic3

dskillzhtown said:

If such a money play exists, why not use it on 1st down instead of waiting until 4th down and risk a turnover on downs?

I like gregor's idea of playing it by ear though.

Nightz

GG mbmonk. I came so close at the end of both halves lol, just poor TO and clock management on my behalf. I definitely think 5 minute quarters are not long enough. 7 would be best IMO.

Dynamic3

Jtrizzy said:
The whole reason we are doing this league is so that we don't have to play against fucktards who run the hurry up same play on 4th and 8 from their own 35 in the first quarter of a tied game.

You act like doing that gives them an automatic first down. I would love for them to do that so I could get the ball at their 35 instead of my own 35. Yeah every once in a while they are going to get a first down, but more often then not they are gonna get burned and it's going to be an easy win for me. If I can stop them for 3 consecutive downs I'm pretty sure I can stop them for 4. I'm not trying to give you hard time, I'm just trying to explain how it works in real life where this rule doesn't exist.

As I've said before, I'm not going to be going for every 4th down, but what I will be doing is a random fake punt every once in a while to catch my opponent off-guard regardless of the score, ball position, or quarter; and I don't want to have to forfeit my win or get booted from the league as a result.

If you ultimately decide to instate this rule regardless, that's fine, I respect your decision as the commish. Just please let me know before the actual league begins.

mbmonk

GG Nightz. You really should have won that game to be honest. The 1 TD pass I had was being thrown to my TE, but your defender hit my QB as he was throwing and the pass ended up going to my WR instead. Your DB wigs out and runs away from the pass for some reason. So yea.. it was garbage. You played well

I think 5 minutes is a bit short, but on the plus side the games end in relatively short time frame in the real world. We started about 8:40pm and finished like 9:15 ish? So it a bit easier to fit the games into the schedule when it's shorter, but I am fine with 7 minute games.

I have to ask, 3 questions really, did you mean to go no huddle on the goal line on 3rd down early in the 4th? And are you a Falcons fan? If so how did you end up on the west coast?

GG and I look forward to the real game with you when the league kicks off. :)

Top Bottom