• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Wkd. Box Office April 25–27, '08 - 'Baby Mama' is Harold and Kumar's 'daddy'

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

2crofuu.jpg
zmftk4.jpg
2i92u6e.jpg
2zp70pw.jpg
6ib3n6.jpg

rotten watch box office:
s2cdib.gif
60% Baby Mama
rtq7x1.gif
57% Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay
fje268.gif
63% The Forbidden Kingdom
317jmlu.gif
85% Forgetting Sarah Marshall
v4qfjl.gif
48% Nim's Island
2j1su0y.gif
12% Deception

metacritic:

*click pic(s) for source(s)*

'Baby' steps to top of box office. Universal comedy nabs No. 1 spot

Universal's Tina Fey-Amy Poehler comedy "Baby Mama" easily delivered the No. 1 movie of the weekend, grossing an estimated $18.3 million from 2,543 theaters and giving the studio its first top opener of the year.

Comedy was the success story of the final sesh before summer, fueling a box office rebound. Two of the three laffers dominating the B.O. chart are from U.

There were chuckles all around as New Line and Warner Bros.' stoner sequel "Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay" placed second in its opening, grossing an estimated $14.6 million from 2,510 theaters, and U's own "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" placed No. 4 in grossing an estimated $11 million from 2,799 runs and declined just 38% in its second sesh, according to Rentrak.

Lionsgate's Jet Li-Jackie Chan adventure fantasy "Forbidden Kingdom" narrowly edged out "Sarah Marshall" to take the No. 3 spot, declining 48% in its second sesh to an estimated $11.2 million 3,151 runs.

Order of "Sarah Marshall," produced by Judd Apatow, and "Forbidden Kingdom" could be reversed when actual weekend numbers are posted Monday, with "Sarah Marshall" pulling ahead.

The weekend's other new wide release, "Deception," fared dismally. Produced by Arnold-Rifkin and distributed by 20th Century Fox, the Hugh Jackman-Ewan McGregor thriller grossed a meager $2.2 million from 2,001 runs to place No. 10.

"Baby Mama" scored the second-best opening for a romantic comedy in April, underscoring the popularity of Fey and Poehler, who worked together on "Saturday Night Live."

Women showed up in droves for "Baby Mama," rated PG-13.

It is unusual for a studio to open two comedies back-to-back. U said the stellar hold of the R-rated "Sarah Marshall" shows that it wasn't hurt by the entry of "Baby Mama," and vice versa. "Sarah Marshall" appealed to men more than "Baby Mama."

Among Apatow's raunchy rom coms, "Sarah Marshall" had a better hold than "Superbad," which declined 45% in its second weekend, but fell more than either "Knocked Up," which declined 36% in its second frame, or "The 40-Year-Old Virgin," which declined 24%.

"Sarah Marshall" opened the previous weekend to No. 2, grossing $17.7 million.

On the specialty side, Samuel Goldwyn Films' French drama "Roman de gare" scored a per screen average of $12,773, grossing an estimated $25,454 from two locations in Gotham and L.A.

ThinkFilm's dramedy "Then She Found Me," directed by and starring Helen Hunt, posted a per screen average of $8,226 in grossing an estimated $74,395 from nine theaters in L.A. and Gotham.

Errol Morris' docu "Standard Operating Procedure," about the Abu Ghraib prison scandal, grossed an estimated $14,916 from two theaters for a per screen average of $7,458.

Overture holdover "The Visitor" continued to play strongly as it expanded to 76 theaters, grossing an estimated $508,000 for a per screen average of $6,684. Pic showed a 100% Friday-to-Saturday increase.

*click pic for full list/source*

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I've only seen one 2008 release (Cloverfield, hated it). I am, however, looking forward to checking out Redbelt and Iron Man, and then I'm super psyched for Speed Racer. The NYTimes review of Helen Hunt's directorial debut also has me rather intrigued about that one.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
With so few movies opening this weekend, I wish Sony had opted to release Redbelt now instead of next week, as it would've gotten a better chance of playing in small locations like mine. Thanks to Iron Man, though, it'll never open here and I'll be waiting until fall for the DVD. Fuckers.

Dan

Redbelt's scheduled to hit 1000 theaters or so on the 9th, for what that's worth.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Dan said:
Redbelt's scheduled to hit 1000 theaters or so on the 9th, for what that's worth.

That's cute, 1,000 theaters. There are two certanties with the Regal cocksuckers here: no movie will ever be shown unless it a. opens on 2,500+ screens or b. is a horrible comedy/family film/cartoon.

Ceres

Banned
Cosmic Bus said:
With so few movies opening this weekend, I wish Sony had opted to release Redbelt now instead of next week, as it would've gotten a better chance of playing in small locations like mine. Thanks to Iron Man, though, it'll never open here and I'll be waiting until fall for the DVD. Fuckers.

That's why I love having an indy theater in the area that we frequent whenever we can. The only movies we don't go there for are ones that we feel need the better screen and sound system. It would suck not be able to see movies like Lars and the Real Girl at a theater.

Zoe

Yay H&K, not too surprising when you have a PG-13 vs R comedy with the former starring a (close to) household name.

Hopefully I'll gather the courage to see it next weekend. I have an aversion to going to the movies by myself :(

considering the first H&K film opened with a 5 million dollar weekend and this one nearly tripled it (easily, EASILY covering the budget) I think it's safe to say that everyone involved is really pleased with how it did.

It's also worth noting that H&K has no A OR B list stars headlining it and nowhere near Baby Mama's marketing dollars.

This thing is going to be a monster on DVD, just watch. :lol

Ceres

Banned
Zoe said:
Yay H&K, not too surprising when you have a PG-13 vs R comedy with the former starring a (close to) household name.

We were in the theater with about 20 other people. All the others were groups of 5-6 14yo boys with a parent.

Sean

Banned
Amir0x said:
its budget clearly says $12 million!

Shit, did not even notice that part. I was just going off the IMDB listing which says 6m. Either way it's a success and is outpacing the first one.

medrew

Cheebs said:
30 Rock is one of the most brilliant shows on TV. Tina Fey is all around awesome.

I think that says more about the shows currently on TV than the quality of 30 Rock. In particular the last ep they aired...

Cheebs

medrew said:
I think that says more about the shows currently on TV than the quality of 30 Rock. In particular the last ep they aired...
This weeks episode was amazing. Will Arnett ftw

B.K.

Sean said:
Shit, did not even notice that part. I was just going off the IMDB listing which says 6m. Either way it's a success and is outpacing the first one.

Which means they'll start planning Harold and Kumar 3 this week.

Zeed said:
Tina Fey endorsed Hillary Clinton, that pissed me off.

middle aged white women endorsing OTHER middle aged women like themselves for president?!? impossible!

next thing you'll be telling me that black celebrities have been endorsing obama

Costanza

Banned
I don't get why 30 Rock, one of the funniest shows ever, gets the shit ratings it does but everyone goes and sees Tina Fey in a crappy movie.

WHY?

Dan

Costanza said:
I don't get why 30 Rock, one of the funniest shows ever, gets the shit ratings it does but everyone goes and sees Tina Fey in a crappy movie.

WHY?
Mmm hmm. Let's pretend the average ticket price is $9. That means 2 million people saw the movie during a relatively dull weekend. Meanwhile, some 4 million households had 30 Rock on last week, against Grey's Anatomy and CSI.

I don't really see anything too incongruous.

Costanza

Banned
Dan said:
Mmm hmm. Let's pretend the average ticket price is $9. That means 2 million people saw the movie during a relatively dull weekend. Meanwhile, some 4 million households had 30 Rock on last week, against Grey's Anatomy and CSI.

heh, didn't think about it that way.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Costanza said:

WHY?

My favorite part about your post is that you probably didn't see it, yet are calling it a crappy movie, even though it has mixed/good reviews.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm quite pleased with this week...Even though Baby mama at top is a kick in the balls. Such a horrible movie. H/K at 2nd with already beating its budget is nice. Not to mention Forbidden should overcome its budget just in the US market. Which by the way has definitely been my surprisingly good movie for the year. Loved it. The pacing was a bit...Shoddy and it kind of did go between a kid's movie to more of an adult one. But I loved it. Definitely had some great fighting in it too.
But I enjoyed those two up there.

Ironman out next week...I love movie season ^_^

Costanza

Banned
omg rite said:
My favorite part about your post is that you probably didn't see it, yet are calling it a crappy movie, even though it has mixed/good reviews.
I'll see it eventually cause I like Tina Fey, the trailer just wasn't that good :\

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Manmademan said:
middle aged white women endorsing OTHER middle aged women like themselves for president?!? impossible!

60 is middle aged?

YYZ

Forbidden Kingdom was one of the worst movies I've seen in the theaters in a while. I just wanted it to end so badly. I really don't know why it's not getting a lower rating, it's utter garbage. I wasn't hyping it up for myself either.

FSM on the other hand, that was so damn enjoyable, I think I might like it as much as 40-YOV. Mila Kunis is gorgeous too, her character made me smile throughout.

Meier

Dan said:

The average movie ticket price is still like $6.50 or something. Don't ask me where since my girlfriend paid $10 for each of our tickets, but it's still the average (even matinees are like $7.50 here). Honestly though, I'm confident 90% of you badmouthing Baby Mama didn't see it. It was seriously funny.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
I'll see Baby Mama on DVD cos of Fey and Poehler, the latter of which was far funnier when she was part of the Upright Citizens Brigade troupe. I wish they'd properly reform. :\

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I saw baby mama this weekend over H&K at the insistence of my fiance. It was... ok. But overall not really very funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom