• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Wkd. Box Office March 28–30, '08 - '21' wins big, Phillippe can't stop loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

24y9ttl.jpg
15318k0.jpg
ibdy4w.jpg
349a2ar.jpg
auee6q.jpg

rotten watch box office:
v62ahl.gif
31% 21
wmcsqo.gif
78% Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who!
2a8roxs.gif
21% Superhero Movie
2s7w6wx.gif
31% Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns
x3ammg.gif
26% Drillbit Taylor
16jjatk.gif
60% Stop-Loss

metacritic:

*click pic(s) for source(s)*

'21' cashes in at box office. Sony film hits jackpot with $23.7 million

Sony’s gambling drama “21” beat the house at the weekend box office, winning a respectable $23.7 million from 2,648 runs and coming in No. 1. The per location average was $8,950.

Pic, with a cast including Jim Sturgess, Kevin Spacey and Kate Bosworth, marks director Robert Luketic’s biggest opening, and his first drama. He previously directed laffers including “Legally Blond” and “Monster-in-Law.”

Twentieth Century Fox holdover “Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears a Who!” continued to draw an enviable hand in its third frame, coming in a strong No. 2. Toon declined 29% to an estimated $17.4 million from 3,826 runs for a cume of $117.2 million, marking the first film of 2008 to jump the $100 million mark at the domestic B.O.

After “21,” other new offerings weren’t so fortunate in their betting. MGM and Dimension Films’ spoof “Superhero Movie” came in well below expectations with an estimated gross of $9.5 million from 2,960 runs, placing No. 3 for the frame, according to Rentrak.

Paramount’s “Stop-Loss” became the latest Iraqi war film to be largely rejected by auds, managing to only place No. 8 in its bow, grossing an estimated $4.5 million from 1,291 runs. Film was directed by Kimberly Pierce in her first directing effort since “Boys Don’t Cry.”

On the specialized side, the Weinstein Co. and Fox Searchlight’s America Ferrera starrer “Under the Same Name” declined 19% from the pervious weekend as it added 124 screens in markets where the Spanish-language film was already playing. Film grossed an estimated $3.2 million from 390 runs for a per screen average of $5,771--the second best per location average after “21” among the top 20 films.

Overall, the frame was down more than 17% from the same frame last year, when Paramount/DreamWorks’ Will Ferrell laffer “Blades of Glory” led with a $33 million opening. The B.O. downturn is slowly eroding the film industry’s year-to-date revenue gains. As of Sunday, revenues were running 0.64% ahead of the same period in 2007.

Weekend saw varying results among holdovers.

Lionsgate’s “Tyler Perry’s Meet the Browns,” placing No. 4, declined 61% in its second sesh to an estimated $7.8 million from 2,016 runs for a cume of $32.8 million in its first 10 days.

Par’s Owen Wilson laffer “Drillbit Taylor” declined 44% in its second sesh to place No. 5 for the frame, grossing an estimated $5.8 million from 3,061 locations for a cume of $20.6 million.

Placing No. 6 was Fox and New Regency’s “Shutter,” which declined 49% in its second weekend to an estimated $5.3 million from 2,756 runs for a cume of $19.1 million.

Warner Bros.’ “10,000 BC” declined 45% in its fourth weekend to place No. 7 for the weekend, grossing an estimated $4.9 million from 3,055 runs for a cume of $84.9 million.

Disney’s “College Road Trip’ came in No. 9 in its fourth frame, declining 25% to an estimated $3.5 million from 2,270 locations for a cume of $38.4 million.

Lionsgate’s smart thriller “The Bank Job” continued to please, declining 33% to an estimated $2.8 million from 1,605 runs for a cume of $24.1 million in its fourth frame. Film came in No. 10.

*click pic for full list/source*

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Timbuktu said:
is this the movie they turned the nerdy asians into cocky white kids?

It's not just white kids. There are two Asians in the group, both of which have rather prominent roles in the movie.

AlphaSnake said:
It's not just white kids. There are two Asians in the group, both of which have rather prominent roles in the movie.

noone really cares about side roles. The main character should have been asian and they got a white little boy. That's the point

Seth C

Anasui Kishibe said:
noone really cares about side roles. The main character should have been asian and they got a white little boy. That's the point

I'm glad it was #1, and only because of the constant stream of bitching from you people.

Anasui Kishibe said:

The real point is that 21 is nothing like the book. It has very little to do with Jeff Ma (the Asian character in question).

It isn't a biopic. It isn't adapted from the book "Bringing Down the House". It isn't about Jeff Ma.

It takes the MIT card counting team idea and creates its own story and characters that have little to do with any of the main characters from the aforementioned book.

Ceres

Banned
JdFoX187 said:

Wow.. I didn't even realize that was out. My fiance and I agreed to see it when we saw the first preview despite knowing it'd likely be absolute crap.

xaosslug said:
i think it's more of a Ryan Phillipe thing than that...

Tell that to Rendition, Lions for Lambs, In the Valley of Elah, and Redacted.

Nicktals

Banned
Why was Stop Loss in so few theatres? I mean it was heavily advertised. To see it only be in 1/3 of the theatres as big movies seems strange. Not that I mind as it looked like typical MTV sentimental coach carter garbage, but it just seems strange.

JdFoX187

Banned
Ceres said:
Wow.. I didn't even realize that was out. My fiance and I agreed to see it when we saw the first preview despite knowing it'd likely be absolute crap.
Nah, it was a great movie. I'm just sad to see it drop off so fast. It'll do better in Europe though, I hope. :(

Ceres said:
So Hollywood hasn't learned that people don't want to be reminded of whats going on in Iraq yet?

I don't think it is that.

I think if there was a movie to be done about Iraq, it should have involved much better people. It just looked like a pop culture throwaway. Throwing heartthrobs into a generic anti-Iraq movie does not a success make.

Though I would like to see a movie about Iraq similar in vein to Apocalypse Now. If that is what Stop Loss was, I would have seen it the first night.

xaosslug

Ceres said:
Tell that to Rendition, Lions for Lambs, In the Valley of Elah, and Redacted.

touché.

by that same token, can you name a single Phillippe-headlined-movie in recent history that hasn't been met with bellow abysmal reception @ Box Office? ;P

John Dunbar

correct about everything
xaosslug said:
touché.

by that same token, can you name a single Phillippe-headlined-movie in recent history that hasn't been met with bellow abysmal reception @ Box Office? ;P

You could leave out everything after the word "history" and I would still draw a blank.

Ceres

Banned
The Experiment said:
I don't think it is that.

I think if there was a movie to be done about Iraq, it should have involved much better people. It just looked like a pop culture throwaway. Throwing heartthrobs into a generic anti-Iraq movie does not a success make.

Though I would like to see a movie about Iraq similar in vein to Apocalypse Now. If that is what Stop Loss was, I would have seen it the first night.

I think part of the issue is that it has to happen AFTER everything is over. People really don't want to be reminded about bad stuff that is happening at that very moment. Movies are generally attended to escape reality not be reminded of it (and in such a biased way). The only one that seems to even have remotely understood this is The Kingdom. Rather than focusing on "z0mg, we're so evil," it focused on something pro-America and people were willing to accept the movie.

And as to Ryan Phillipe, yeah, there's nothing recently he's been in that has done well. I think about the only thing that ever did well was Cruel Intentions. But we've had people like Tom Cruise, Robert Redford, Reese Witherspoon, Jake Gyllenhaal, Susan Sarandon, Tommy Lee Jones, & Charlize Theron and none of those did well.

Ceres said:
I think part of the issue is that it has to happen AFTER everything is over. People really don't want to be reminded about bad stuff that is happening at that very moment. Movies are generally attended to escape reality not be reminded of it (and in such a biased way). The only one that seems to even have remotely understood this is The Kingdom. Rather than focusing on "z0mg, we're so evil," it focused on something pro-America and people were willing to accept the movie.

Point taken.

After all, Kingdom of Heaven bombed in the US, most likely because the Muslims won.

Koshiba

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Did anyone see Run Fat Boy Run? The screenplay was written by Michael Ian Black and Simon Pegg. I'm curious to hear if it's any good..

I'm thinking about seeing it tomorrow. So hopefully it won't be a complete waste of money. BF wants to see Stop Loss or 21 as well but eh..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom