• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

Commodore 64 releases? Shoot, having looked over the library I'm not sure there's anything I'd buy other than maybe Nebulus. Of course, that's okay as long as other people are happy, but if Modern Nintendo of America can't start getting back to two VC games per week even with another system added on, well... :/

Eh, I just hope it doesn't continue to push back games I'd rather have like Ogre Battle, Pulseman, Super Smash Bros., Fantasy Zone 2, Mega Man 4-7, Mega Man X 1-3, Adventures of Lolo 3, or a number of other games that are either ESRB/OFLC/whoever-rated or sequels in a series with other entries already on VC.

jaundicejuice said:
Wait, so now people are trusting Jsnake on matters VC and Earthbound related again?
Well, he did link us to starmen.net, which is a pretty reputable, if slightly crazy, Mother fan site. If they are willing to break this news, it's probably worth considering.

shidoshi said:
all I can think of when hearing that is the chance that the one VC title a week not being something I care about has now increased even more. :(
Me too. Same thing with SMS games, when they are released I just turn my head. Chances are the games I want are going to be put on hold even more for countless 1 C64 game weeks :mad:

I really really wish I could get myself to stop caring. ;( When is Cave Storys general release target again?

Jiggy

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
I really really wish I could get myself to stop caring. ;( When is Cave Storys general release target again?
As far as I know, it doesn't have one... I'll happily take it whenever it shows, though. That and Bit.Trip Beat (if not too short) and Adventure Island.

Feels odd to be waiting on WiiWare releases for once when I haven't bought any other than Mega Man 9 in the past seven and a half months. (This is not an invitation for random recommendations from everybody. :p I know what the games are.)

oh hey, bit.trip looks kinda neat.

I'm starting to wonder if the games I'm holding out for are even possible release canidates.

For example on NeoGeo I love Samurai Showdown, King of Fighters and Metal Slug. But since I really only need 1 version of each game I've been holding out for SS4, KoF98 and MSX. I also REALLY love Magical Drop 3. I'm starting to get the feeling they are never happening though :(

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
For example on NeoGeo I love Samurai Showdown, King of Fighters and Metal Slug. But since I really only need 1 version of each game I've been holding out for SS4, KoF98 and MSX.

The compilations of those games will only cost you $20. Why not buy those instead? You'd be getting the specific titles you want plus all the rest.

comedy bomb said:
The compilations of those games will only cost you $20. Why not buy those instead? You'd be getting the specific titles you want plus all the rest.
Because Compilation discs suck compared to what VC offers. Disk Changing, loading, paying for extra games I never wanted anyways.

Considering how relentlessly lame the Wiikly update PR is, I seriously doubt they'd be the ones to break news on the SD upgrade. Plus, just speculating but Iwata recently reiterated in the recent Quarterly Report Q&A that the SD fix will be "this spring," clarifying (for the interviewer's question) that it will coincide with the "500 point promotion. And IIRC the free 500 points is directly tied to the DSi and helping a friend get online. If so, there could be a significant delay between Japan and the U.S. getting the firmware update. Hope I'm wrong of course. Just that when I speculate I like to theorize with as big a grain of salt as possible.

Stumpokapow said:
I'd say the consensus is actually the opposite of that.

Thanks for the additional opinion. After watching more vids I think I'm going to get Orbient instead. Plus it's a natural since space/sci fi based games in general are my fave theme.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Lifeforce is pretty awesome, I'd bite if I didn't already have the PSP Salamander Collection.

I have Sal Portable collection for PSP but I'm still going to get the NES rev since:

A) It has 2p simultaneous. None of the PSP Konami shmup collections have ad hoc.

B)Two remixed bosses:

The full bodied dragon from arcade stage 3 is "Cruiser Tetron," a floating dragon head with unique sprite art.

-In the NES rev, final boss Zelos is guarded by a snake.

C)Two exclusive stages:

-vert stage 4 in the arcade featured kidney stones/asteroids. NES stage 4 is a new vertical level featuring nerve clusters.

-NES stage 5 is an exclusive temple/ruins stage featuring a boss fight with a King Tut mask, somewhat similar to the exclusive desert stage in PCE Gradius II.

Here's a handy guide to all the Gradius and Sal series changes between arcade and home ports:

http://gradius.classicgaming.gamespy.com/gradport.html

Hopefully they'll eventually release the Fami rev of Gradius II which also has its own exclusive areas and bosses. It also has two BGMs not found in the arcade (see link above).

Nobody, and I mean nobody ever talks about Super Adventure Island 1.

I know the gameplay was outdated for SNES standards(it was a remake of the first Adventure Island, after all), but damn that game was good. The music, especially.

I want that on the VC more than any other Hudson-published game.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
...so I've been playing a lot of Mayhem in Monsterland lately and I think it's actually got quite a few bugs in it. I had 10 lives before starting Pipeland (Sad), and one of the star-shooting blah-guys hits me and takes my life. I start the next go... and my life count is at 0. I'd lost 10 lives in one fell swoop!

Is there anybody I could email about this? It's a pretty dismal bug in the game and I'd like to be able to finish it someday.

Capndrake

SovanJedi said:
...so I've been playing a lot of Mayhem in Monsterland lately and I think it's actually got quite a few bugs in it. I had 10 lives before starting Pipeland (Sad), and one of the star-shooting blah-guys hits me and takes my life. I start the next go... and my life count is at 0. I'd lost 10 lives in one fell swoop!

Is there anybody I could email about this? It's a pretty dismal bug in the game and I'd like to be able to finish it someday.
support@commodoregaming.com

If it's anything like Last Ninja 3 it'll take forever to fix though :\

Jiggy

Buckethead said:
Any good VC games come out in the last....2 months? I haven't checked?
For Europe, Secret of Mana and Wonder Boy in Monster Land are good and the general consensus toward MERCs seems positive.

For NA, Phantasy Star IV, Castlevania III, MUSHA, and Wonder Boy in Monster Land, with MERCs and Life Force being the general-consensus-positive games that I haven't played.

Capndrake

Alright, so I asked Hudson Japan again and they confirmed that they decided to keep supporting VC.

They do say that TG16 games from now on are going to be sporadic though, and the next ones for Europe will be Bomberman '94 and Detana!! TwinBee, both around June/July.

Capndrake said:
Alright, so I asked Hudson Japan again and they confirmed that they decided to keep supporting VC.

They do say that TG16 games from now on are going to be sporadic though, and the next ones for Europe will be Bomberman '94 and Detana!! TwinBee, both around June/July.

Great news! Rondo of Blood is back on :D

Not surprised at the reduced rate of releases though considering the reduced schedual and the fact that Hudson are running out of games they can release.

neo2046

the new DSiWare titles information page
sorry about no time to translate

Mr Driller and 2 Art style games also looks good :D

サクッとハマれるホリホリアクション Mr Driller
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/kdrj/index.html

Art Styleシリーズ:nalaku
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/kakj/index.html

Art Styleシリーズ:HACOLIFE
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/kahj/index.html

ニンテンドーDSi電卓
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/calculator/index.html

眺めるだけで賢くなれる!もじぴったんしりとり時計
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/kmpt/index.html

ちょっとアソビ大全 おなじみテーブル
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/ktbj/index.html

ちょっとDS文学全集 世界の文学20
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/kbgj/index.html

井出洋介の健康麻将DSi
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/knkj/index.html

Hobbun

Capndrake said:

I'm thoroughly confused. I thought I had heard (in this thread) that Nintendo purchased the licensing (and therefore release) rights from the third party publishers for their games?

So the Hudson "pulling support" didn't really mean anything as Nintendo already had the rights to release their games?

Hobbun said:
I'm thoroughly confused. I thought I had heard (in this thread) that Nintendo purchased the licensing (and therefore release) rights from the third party publishers for their games?
I think that's basically the case for games released on Nintendo systems, but TG16 and Genesis (and Commodore?) are special cases.

swerve

Next week is expensive!

Definitely buying Mr. Driller and Nalaku(looks amazing), maybe buying BoxLife.

MIGHT get the mario calculator for cute-value and because it converts distances/times/weights at the touch of a button. Looks cool.

Rlan

2p10_03u-3.png

2p06_01.png

2p08_01u.png

2p10_03u-1.png

http://www.wiiloveit.com/Home/games/adventure-island-the-beginning

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Hobbun said:
So the Hudson "pulling support" didn't really mean anything as Nintendo already had the rights to release their games?

I think it was just paranoia mixed with overreaction.

Baron

Dammit, when is Gradius Rebirth going to be released in NA? :(

I looove Gradius II, even more so with my new modded Wii arcade stick.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Those two Art Style games look good.

Adventure Island could go either way. I'm worried that they're going to miss what made the originals fun, but visually it looks fine.

Jiggy said:
For Europe, Secret of Mana and Wonder Boy in Monster Land are good and the general consensus toward MERCs seems positive.

For NA, Phantasy Star IV, Castlevania III, MUSHA, and Wonder Boy in Monster Land, with MERCs and Life Force being the general-consensus-positive games that I haven't played.
:O

I am so there as soon as I get off work.

beje

Banned
Those Adventure Island shots make the game look like some generic shovelware :| guess they forgot to hire an art director.

Somnid

New DSiWare with some more translation:

DSiWare 200:

Nintendo DSi Calculator: Mario Type
4 function calculator up to 13 digits. Also supports unit conversions for time, weight, length, volume. 8-bit Mario Themed.

Nintendo DSi Calculator: Animal Crossing Type
Same as above. Animal Crossing Themed.

Just by looking, become smarter! Mojipittan Shiritori Clock
Clock/Calendar. It plays a Japanese word game where you take that last kana and use it to make a new word. It supports upto 13 million words.

DSiWare 500:

Art Styles: Nalaku
You guide a character through a a playfield of cubes. Your goal is to go as high as possible and light up rows of cubes by stepping on them. As the game progresses more cubes fall and lower ones are removed.

Arts Styles: Hacolife
You are given a sheet of titles. You first cut the sheet into partitions then using the stylus try to fold them into cubes. The goal is to fold the whole sheet into cubes.

Chotto Asobi Taisen: Familiar Table Games
Collection of 5 classic Japanese table games. Like Shogi and gomokunarabe.

Chotto Bungakuzenshuu: Seikai no Bungaku 20]
A collection of 20 classic books.

DSiWare Premium:

Ide Yousuke's Health Mahjong
Mahjong. Supposed to help new players understand the game. Has some Wi-Fi connection mode as well as Mii support.

Mr. Driller DSi

Mr. Driller for DSiWare. Can't quite tell how expansive it is.

Capndrake

Japanese VC next week

-Double Dragon (FC)
-Wallaby!! Usagi no Kuni no Kangaroo Race (PCE)

WiiWare:

-Crystal Defenders R2
-Mr. Driller

Adventure Island looks similar to the GameCube remake if you ask me, and I thought that looked pretty good actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom