• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

TwinBee is now among the greatest things I've ever seen. <3 Truly.

Edit: Also, seeing a HuCard really gives me appreciation for how pioneering the system was. I adore the DS' card format for its miniature size, and obviously what we can manage today is much better--but when I think about how most of us louts were messing about with huge cartridges on NES, SNES, and Genesis while TG16 owners could fit great games onto such comparatively compact cards, it's a bit amazing.

Edit 2: And then on top of that, Hudson was doing CD games on home consoles before Sega.

DarkKyo

circuslido-1.jpg

:lol nice penor plant

Yes Boss: Thanks, as you can tell I take good care of my games. :)

Jiggy: I'll never forget as a kid the first time I saw the TG-16 in the old Sears catalog (when they still made them). When I saw pics of the Hucards I did a double take. 16-bit (ok, dual 8-bit processors, yes) games on carts roughly the size of a credit card? That was crazy.

anandxxx

Damn, I have some serious nerd envy for Agent_Unknown...

Stinger was my favorite shooter on the NES. Are those PSP collections the best choice for grabbing all of the Konami shooters? How do they look on a big TV?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I really like those strategy guides, Agent_Unknown... make me nostalgic for the oldskool Nintendo Power days. Nice pics of your games.

anandxxx said:
Stinger was my favorite shooter on the NES. Are those PSP collections the best choice for grabbing all of the Konami shooters? How do they look on a big TV?

Last month I tried Gradius Portable on my plasma for about half an hour (Gaiden) and it looked nice and colorful in 480p. Of course the drawback with PSP TV output is the lower resolution and the fact that it crops the display to the middle of the screen. But I was able to adjust my aspect settings to get the picture so it'd take up more of the TV screen without looking too unnatural. I played Wipeout Pulse much longer on my TV that day, it looked great. 3D games seem to work better with the TV out.

But yeah, otherwise the PSP Collections are a cheaper way to get all the games. They run about $35-50 average on ebay. U.S. Gradius collection can be had as low as $10 but for some reason Konami america removed the cool voices for the ship selection screen in Gaiden so I went with the import (which also has a full color manual).

Salamander Portable is also a must have (especially for Xexex) but I haven't tried it on TV yet. Crazy but I still don't have TwinBee PSP but will after I complete some more games in my backlog.

Oh, and the PSP 2000's DPad is sooooo much better. Believe me, it works great with shmups. I noticed how much better I was doing right away. I picked up a blue one in Feb (the Madden/1 gig/Beats pack) at Best Buy on clearance for just $159! After I figure out how to downgrade/do a pandora battery on the slim I'll finally sell my beloved phat.

djtiesto: I really like those strategy guides, Agent_Unknown...make me nostalgic for the old school Nintendo Power Guides. Nice pics of your games.

Thanks, glad you liked the pics. :) I also still have my NES Atlas Guide (ever see that?) and guide for Super Metroid. I still have a lot of old NPs from the late 80s/90s that I have kept. The October '91 issue came in handy 4 years ago when I finally got around to beating Metroid NES in under 3 hours (they had the entire game mapped out in that issue as a way to promote Metroid II a few months before its release).

crowphoenix: I'm more impressed with the Crow figurine. Of course, MST3K is my favorite show of all time. :D

Our local downtown theater is showing MST3K The Movie (This Island Earth) tonight! Me and a bunch of friends are going. Also, in October I went to Cinematic Titanic in Minneapolis with a friend and saw them make fun of a movie live. Afterwards I got to meet Joel, Frank, Trace Beaulieu (Crow from KTMA-season7, Dr. Forrester), Josh Weinstein (original voice of Tom, writer/producer on Freaks and Geeks), Dave Gruber Allen (comedian and played Mr. Rosso the hipster counselor on F&G), and Mary Jo Pehl (Pearl Forrester). They were all very friendly and were hilarious live. They riffed on "Blood of the Vampires," a Phillipino "horror" movie from the 60s, sooo bad. Be sure to check out www.cinematictitanic.com if you get a chance.

I've been playing Paper Mario for two weeks, and it took me that long to realize that I didn't want to play it.

I'm charmed by it. I think its battle-system is genius. I think managing badges is rewarding. I enjoy its set-pieces (the Tubba Blubba sequence was especially memorable), and I really, really enjoy the allusions to the main series' mythos. But I didn't want to play it because it didn't surprise me.

I played Paper Mario when I was younger, up until Chapter 5, at least. Since it was such a long time ago, I thought playing it might as well be a new experience. I was so wrong. I cannot believe how much of this game is still with me. I wasn't playing it so much as I was just going through the motions.

And I'm angry at myself for doing this. I still like this game quite a lot, but damn, I should have gone with A Thousand Year Door or Mario & Luigi, which I haven't played at all. Damn.

So please, before you play a game, any game, you should ask yourself what you really want to play. Your feelings may affect how you enjoy it. I know gamers who can will themselves to play anything, anytime. But they don't enjoy their games as much as I do. SO, TAKE A LESSON FROM ME, SEARCH YOUR FEELINGS, young Skywa, er, I mean, GAF.

DavidDayton said:
They should be, from all we've been told... how much are they being clearanced at? I'd love to get some discount Wii points -- where are you located?

Walmarts are pretty random as far as clearance. The Wii points cards that are clearanced are packed with a Classic Controller glove. At my Walmart they are $15 for a 2000 pt. card and a controller glove.

Well, Monday is the first day of the Game Developers Conference. Maybe that will increase the chances of the update being released. March is almost over, IGN Wii....

Capndrake

ONE WIIWARE GAME AND TWO VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAMES ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

March 23, 2009

Are you immune to this season's rampant basketball fever? If so, the Wii™ Shop Channel invites you and your friends to set up an action-packed tournament of your own with a fresh crop of downloadable games. This week brings an instantly irresistible puzzle game to the ever-expanding WiiWare™ library, plus a pair of classic TurboGrafx16 import titles for the Virtual Console™ – one a vintage vertical-scrolling shooter, the other featuring the beloved Bomberman. Draw up your brackets, grab those Wii Remote™ controllers and shoot for the top spot.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare

Pop'Em Drop'Em SAMEGAME (Hudson Entertainment, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): SAMEGAME is a simple yet engrossing puzzle game where you must clear matching blocks in sets of two or more. Score high by clearing out more blocks at once. If you manage to clear the entire grid, you can keep on playing with a whole new layout. Getting rid of all those blocks is the key to racking up points. Adjust the difficulty level in a one-player game by trying different grid sizes and multiple colors. Up to four players can face off in any one of three multiplayer modes. “Fame Game,” the most straightforward choice, is similar to the one-player version. “Shame Game” turns the tables by forcing players to go for the lowest score. “Blame Game” is a free-for-all as everyone vies for blocks on one big grid. Choose from different block styles, background graphics and music to customize your playing experience.

Virtual Console

Bomberman®'94 (TurboGrafx16, 1-5 players, Rated E for Everyone—Comic Mischief, 700 Wii Points): Bomberman has arrived to restore peace on the planet, which has been split into five parts by an evil hand. In addition to the nine members of the Bomber Family, the character Rooi shows up to lend a hand. Jump on the eggs that appear from destroyed soft blocks and you can ride one of five types of Rooi. Each Rooi has different special abilities—use them well and you'll ride to victory.

DETANA TWIN BEE (TurboGrafx16, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone—Mild Cartoon Violence, 700 Wii Points): It's the popular vertical-scrolling shooter renowned for its cute and comical world. Here come Twinbee and Winbee on a mission to save the planet from evil alien invaders. Standing in their way are six stages full of goofy enemies. Play as Twinbee in single-player mode, or team up with Winbee in two-player cooperative mode. With powerful attacks like Big Shot, or Twin Attack and Burst Attack in two-player mode, there's plenty of sting in their arsenal. Use your Shot to transform Bells into items with various effects. Stock up on these bad boys to expand your attack range and really have a blast.

VOOK said:
3 TITLES?

It's too soon for Nintendo to PO Hudson again. Gotta lull them into a false sense of security first . . . that's why I was relatively confident we'd see both games today once Hudson updated its website.

crowphoenix said:
It's a Hudson week. Finally.

Even the WiiWare title is from Hudson. I'm not sure whether or not to be surprised by that. I'm sure Hudson is hoping they'll get those who frequent the Shop Channel to bite on at least one title.

I usually don't complain in this thread, but I'm really disappointed that Europe got Super Punch-Out on Friday and we didn't get it today... =\

Capndrake

Princess Skittles said:
Untranslated, I take it?
No Japanese import titles aside from Sin & Punishment are translated. And I believe S&P was only translated because work on a western release was originally started but later cancelled.

Hobbun

Capndrake said:
No Japanese import titles aside from Sin & Punishment are translated. And I believe S&P was only translated because work on a western release was originally started but later cancelled.

This is why I hope SE never brings Seiken Denetsu III or any of their classic Japan-only RPG's to the NA VC. It would be a huge tease. They would be right there to download, but couldn't understand a damn thing about them.

Unless miraculously they decided to localize them, then I would download them in a heartbeat. However, that would never happen.

Hobbun said:
Unless miraculously they decided to localize them, then I would download them in a heartbeat. However, that would never happen.

I don't think there is any way Nintendo would allow a text-heavy game to be released untranslated. Too casual unfriendly and too much potential for backlash. I still think some company or companies may take it upon themselves to translate those titles and release them on the service, but I would imagine it would be for a premium price - say somewhere between 1,500 to 2,500 Wii Points? Unfortunately, the more Nintendo neglects to advertise and promote the service, the less likely that scenario becomes.

Hobbun

FFantasyFX said:
I don't think there is any way Nintendo would allow a text-heavy game to be released untranslated. Too casual unfriendly and too much potential for backlash. I still think some company or companies may take it upon themselves to translate those titles and release them on the service, but I would imagine it would be for a premium price - say somewhere between 1,500 to 2,500 Wii Points? Unfortunately, the more Nintendo neglects to advertise and promote the service, the less likely that scenario becomes.

And I'd pay that price to get those RPG classics. I have been wanting to play SD III for years now (and not on my computer through a fan translation).

I know there was an adventure/side scroller game released earlier on that had quite a bit of text and was not translated. Can't recall the name of it, though.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Capndrake said:

S&P is translated as much as the original cart was, english voice, japanese text.

Hobbun said:
And I'd pay that price to get those RPG classics. I have been wanting to play SD III for years now (and not on my computer through a fan translation).

I know there was an adventure/side scroller game released earlier on that had quite a bit of text and was not translated. Can't recall the name of it, though.
I think the biggest issue on getting SDIII is that it's a square game, and one that has, for the most part, squandered the love that fans had for the series. I mean, other than Secret and SDIII, the games in the Mana series have not been universally praised and only seem to be getting worse. So, I can't see Square taking the time on a series that is no longer a bread winner- at least, not in the full port sense.

I think the only hope for getting it stateside would be an untranslated VC release.

beje

Banned
And they only translated the tutorial text just for the shame.

Edit: Beaten for opening the thread in another tab and reading it 7 minutes later

Hobbun

crowphoenix said:
I think the biggest issue on getting SDIII is that it's a square game, and one that has, for the most part, squandered the love that fans had for the series. I mean, other than Secret and SDIII, the games in the Mana series have not been universally praised and only seem to be getting worse. So, I can't see Square taking the time on a series that is no longer a bread winner- at least, not in the full port sense.

I think the only hope for getting it stateside would be an untranslated VC release.

And for me, that would be even worse as the game would be right there to download, but I would consider it not even there as I would be totally clueless on the story as it would be in Japanese. And the story is one of the most important aspects of an RPG. At least for myself.

That's why I would just prefer not to even see it in NA if the "best" we could get was an untranslated release.

Hobbun

crowphoenix said:
I agree. I need the story in an RPG in order to be able to complete it, so I doubt I'd even pick up SDIII if it came out like that.

Yeah, but dammit, I just don't want to see it at all (nontranslated). I mean it would be right there and Nintendo/SE would be laughing at us. "See, we gave you the game."

Marvie_3

Banned
El Pescado said:
I usually don't complain in this thread, but I'm really disappointed that Europe got Super Punch-Out on Friday and we didn't get it today... =\
My guess is that it's coming the same week Punch-Out! comes out in NA. Of course, that's what everyone thought about Smash 64 too.

To be honest though, the fact that we get ANY import games on the English channels at all is pretty cool, its something I never expected Nintendo to ever do when all the VC stuff started. We dreamed about it ("Wow wouldn't it be cool to finally get S&P!" etc) but I honestly never thought they would.

Usually with these services its all no no no you all stay separate kinda thing.

Hobbun

Conrad Link said:
To be honest though, the fact that we get ANY import games on the English channels at all is pretty cool, its something I never expected Nintendo to ever do when all the VC stuff started. We dreamed about it ("Wow wouldn't it be cool to finally get S&P! etc" but I honestly never thought they would.

Usually with these services its all no no no you all stay separate kinda thing.

Meh, not for me. I mean if it is game where text is not necessary (like Tetris or something similar), then I would not have an issue purchasing the game.

But where there are menus to read or like already mentioned, a story, I don't even consider the game even there. And if it is a game that I have wanted to play for a long time, like the above example of SD III (there are others, as well), I just don't want to see it as I said, it is just a big tease and then I know that is the best I will ever get.

Twinbee is only 700?

YES! YES! YES!

I have 700 left over from the 800 I used on Ogre Battle and the 500 I used on Life Force.

KICK-ASS! DOWNLOADING TWINBEE NAO!

Hobbun said:
Meh, not for me. I mean if it is game where text is not necessary (like Tetris or something similar), then I would not have an issue purchasing the game.

But where there are menus to read or like already mentioned, a story, I don't even consider the game even there. And if it is a game that I have wanted to play for a long time, like the above example of SD III (there are others, as well), I just don't want to see it as I said, it is just a big tease and then I know that is the best I will ever get.

Yeah but I don't mean text heavy games, I have no interest in those ones being on English VC either. I'm the biggest Wonder Boy fan here but I'd never bother downloading Monster World IV if it wasn't translated, I'd just be missing out on stuff not knowing whats going on.

But Sin & Punishment and the other awesome shooters are more the kind of games I'm talking, very thankful they don't just keep them Japan channel exclusive simply because of a couple of menus being in a different language. Very un-Nintendo like to give us something cool really, I'm thankful for it.

Hobbun

Ok, so we are both on the same page, then.

There really hasn't been any games I have seen I have really wanted to download, though, that are imports.

Although I will admit my favorite genre by far is RPGs, so that is really shooting me in the foot. At least in regards to imports.

Hobbun said:

DoReMi Fantasy - platformer. From what I recall, those who downloaded the title said the instruction manual did a good job of covering what the in game text conveyed. Still not the optimal solution, but you can't let perfect be the enemy of good.

I don't remember, did they remove the puzzles based on Japanese symbols in Mario's Super Picross, or were they left in the game? That probably could end up being a bit frustrating if it were still in the game.

Hobbun

FFantasyFX said:
DoReMi Fantasy - platformer. From what I recall, those who downloaded the title said the instruction manual did a good job of covering what the in game text conveyed. Still not the optimal solution, but you can't let perfect be the enemy of good.

Yes, that was it, thanks.

Well, it's not even just the instruction manual. From what I had heard of others and what I saw, it did have some kind of a story. Even though the story may have been weaker compared to an actual RPG, it was there and was an aspect I didn't want to lose out on. Call me picky, I just like the full experience.

SabinFigaro said:
Is there a chance we would see a stateside release of Rondo of Blood? I would pay a high price.

I think we'll see it at some point, and you probably won't even have to pay a high price (just the standard import tax). Probably the biggest factors are how much longer they can milk sales out of the PSP version, and what kind of pace Hudson sets for releases from this point forward. It would be nice if we saw two games per month from Hudson for the rest of the year - Parasol Stars next month please.

Recently someone claimed that all TG-16 games since Ys have been emulated properly without the blurriness of earlier releases. Is that true for today's releases? Are they blurry?

Capndrake said:

They do have a seperate list of credits for the English release in the VC instruction manual though and I don't think their names were in the ingame credits list plus Treasure did mention at one point that they worked on the VC version of S&P in an interview a while back, so maybe it was done specifically for the VC release (It does have an import charge that's 100 points higher than any other import game as well...)

Great to see a week that wasn't just one VC game though, hopefully this ends that horrible trend! (The Wii ware releases seem to be slowing down so maybe they're trying to build up a backlog so they can get back to doing 2 WW games a week again)

Anyone get Hudson's Wii Ware game? How is it?

I think I've had my fill of Bomberman. 94 would have been a much better alternative to 93 had I the choice but with Blast I really don't need either anymore.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
A two-game week, now this is more like it. :D Nice to see that Nintendo didn't contradict Hudson...again.

I don't really feel the need to add yet another version of Bomberman to my collection, but Twinbee is awesome and will be bought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom