• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
It would appear that games from previous Game Boy incarnations will be downloadable.

- Will be only able to download Nintendo GBA/GB titles at first
- GBA/GB games will be region-locked
- Will be able to run the games from an SD card
- Calculators will be downloadable
- Opera available for download on DSi launch day
- Confirmed that owners will receive 1000 free points

Jiggy

Just because the other side has been so outspoken already, I have to say I'd play a non-translated version of just about any RPG or any other text-heavy game that Nintendo could theoretically put up. Seiken Densetsu III? Yes, please. Monster World IV? In a heartbeat. Mystic Ark or Bahamut Lagoon, absolutely. Rondo of Blood itself has Japanese dialogue and I sure don't care if they translate a speck of it inside the game nor in the Wii manual (as it went for translating the cutscenes of Gley Lancer). I'd take every last Tengai Makyou game, and Emerald Dragon, and both versions of Ys IV. Speaking of "both versions," Popful Mail would be an instant purchase for me, as would Live A Live. If name-dropping a bunch of RPGs is too much, then I could also say I'm pretty sure that the Goemon series had at least two more Super Famicom games than we ever got in English, and without hesitation I'd buy them.

If my concern for story in games could even be considered outside the realm of negative, then it would still be nil at my most generous, and I have no issue using FAQs or blundering my way through by trial and error. That's my end. But, of course, I had to specify that I was talking about what Nintendo could "theoretically" put up because these games sure aren't happening for precisely the backlash reason people are mentioning. I guess it's a good thing that 2D platformers and space shooters are my third and fourth favorite genres since at least those can be released time and again without fear of criticism since they're beloved primarily by people to whom the idea of having game in their games (and nothing but) is joy instead of meme.

Hobbun

Iam Canadian said:
It would appear that games from previous Game Boy incarnations will be downloadable.

That is awesome. Thanks. Now I wonder when it means "GB", it also includes GBC games? I would find it unusual to have the original GB but not the GBC because the only difference is the color, correct?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Hobbun said:
That is awesome. Thanks. Now I wonder when it means "GB", it also includes GBC games? I would find it unusual to have the original GB but not the GBC because the only difference is the color, correct?

I would hope - Link`s Awakening DX plz.

Hobbun

Jiggy said:
Just because the other side has been so outspoken already, I have to say I'd play a non-translated version of just about any RPG or any other text-heavy game that Nintendo could theoretically put up. Seiken Densetsu III? Yes, please. Monster World IV? In a heartbeat. Mystic Ark or Bahamut Lagoon, absolutely. Rondo of Blood itself has Japanese dialogue and I sure don't care if they translate a speck of it inside the game nor in the Wii manual (as it went for translating the cutscenes of Gley Lancer). I'd take every last Tengai Makyou game, and Emerald Dragon, and both versions of Ys IV. Speaking of "both versions," Popful Mail would be an instant purchase for me, as would Live A Live. If name-dropping a bunch of RPGs is too much, then I could also say I'm pretty sure that the Goemon series had at least two more Super Famicom games than we ever got in English, and without hesitation I'd buy them.

If my concern for story in games could even be considered outside the realm of negative, then it would still be nil at my most generous, and I have no issue using FAQs or blundering my way through by trial and error. That's my end. But, of course, I had to specify that I was talking about what Nintendo could "theoretically" put up because these games sure aren't happening for precisely the backlash reason people are mentioning. I guess it's a good thing 2D platformers and space shooters are my third and fourth favorite genres since at least those can be released time and again without fear of criticism, due to being played primarily by people who love the idea of having game in their games so they can play while they play.

Well, to each his own. :)

I'm not saying the only important thing for RPGs is the story, but it is one of the main aspects of the game for me. Sure, maybe I will enjoy the gameplay, but after beating that boss and watching that cut-scene or talking to that townsperson, I can only scratch my head. And that would take away the overall enjoyment. To me, understandable text is extremely important in an RPG.

And if they were to put those classic text heavy RPGs on the VC, ones I have wanted to play forever, like I have said already, it would just be a big tease as it would be right there, but the enjoyment for me would be pretty much nil as I couldn't understand a word of it.

Jiggy said:

If my concern for story in games could even be considered outside the realm of negative, then it would still be nil at my most generous, and I have no issue using FAQs or blundering my way through by trial and error. That's my end. But, of course, I had to specify that I was talking about what Nintendo could "theoretically" put up because these games sure aren't happening for precisely the backlash reason people are mentioning. I guess it's a good thing 2D platformers and space shooters are my third and fourth favorite genres since at least those can be released time and again without fear of criticism, due to being played primarily by people who love the idea of having game in their games so they can play while they play.

I'm not saying they shouldn't release them, Jigs. There are a fair number of people out there who, Unlike Hobbun and I, would still be salivating at the chance to play these games. And a couple of them, I would probably pick up as well, just to try out the systems, and I'd be even more likely to try it if the world map actually had some sort of marker on it that denoted the next area I should go.

But, I really feel put off when I don't know the characters in an RPG, when I don't know why I should care. And if I don't care, I stop.

Hobbun said:
GB and GBC are basically the same platform (besides colour).

Jiggy

If that DSi thing is true, then 1) I guess I'll have to buy a third DS once it builds up a decent library, and 2) I hope I get a chance to fix two of the greatest gaming mistakes I ever made, namely never playing the Golden Sun games. Also Mario Tennis GBC, but that wasn't a "mistake" per se because I didn't know I'd like it until years later I played the GBA game--with Golden Sun I have no excuse. I love RPGs, Sakuraba, 2D sprites, and portable gaming and yet still passed for no reason I'll ever figure out. I don't think I was short on money at the time, even.

Iam Canadian

Yeah, chiming in on this conversation, I find myself siding with Jiggy. I prefer stories in games to have as minimal a presence as possible, so not being able to read a game's story wouldn't be much of a loss for me. However, I do acknowledge that there are other problematic issues inherent to playing an imported text-heavy game: not being able to read where to go or not being able to read item and spell names, for instance. Yeah, these can be solved with a FAQ or the manual, but this can be cumbersome, at least at first.

Of course, I think we can all agree that Japan-only games that aren't text-heavy, like Rondo of Blood, Parodius, and any number of TG-16 shooters, should be considered fair game for import releases. :D

Aaron Strife said:
GB and GBC are basically the same platform (besides colour).

Someone more knowledgable than me will probably correct me on this (A Black Falcon), but I think the Game Boy Colour was a slightly more powerful system than the original Game Boy. Not so much so that some GBC games couldn't run on the regular GB, but there were GBC-exclusive games for a reason. Still, I doubt the differences are significant enough for Nintendo to really denote them as separate platforms.

wsippel

Banned
Iam Canadian said:
Someone more knowledgable than me will probably correct me on this (A Black Falcon), but I think the Game Boy Colour was a slightly more powerful system than the original Game Boy. Not so much so that some GBC games couldn't run on the regular GB, but there were GBC-exclusive games for a reason. Still, I doubt the differences are significant enough for Nintendo to really denote them as separate platforms.
It was about twice as powerful, but other than that pretty much the same. If Nintendo can emulate GB games, GBC titles should be a given.

Hobbun

crowphoenix said:
I'm not saying they shouldn't release them, Jigs. There are a fair number of people out there who, Unlike Hobbun and I, would still be salivating at the chance to play these games. And a couple of them, I would probably pick up as well, just to try out the systems, and I'd be even more likely to try it if the world map actually had some sort of marker on it that denoted the next area I should go.

But, I really feel put off when I don't know the characters in an RPG, when I don't know why I should care. And if I don't care, I stop.

See, I guess I am a selfish bastard. :D I don't want to see them at all, for the reason I have stated more than once in it's right there on the Shop Channel, but I don't want to dl it because to me, the game isn't there. Not only wouldn't I understand the story, but the menus would be unreadable, I couldn't read my weapon names, I would have no clue what that monster is called, I wouldn't know what spell I am casting. Sure, with a lot of these, I might learn (kind of) what the symbols mean, but my memorization skills aren't the greatest. And really, it would be a pain and therefore make it less enjoyable for me.

Now for those who don't care about story and are willing to trudge through in reading the menus, spells, etc., I can completely understand why you would want to see the games on the VC.

Jiggy

crowphoenix said:
There are a fair number of people out there who, Unlike Hobbun and I, would still be salivating at the chance to play these games. And a couple of them, I would probably pick up as well, just to try out the systems, and I'd be even more likely to try it if the world map actually had some sort of marker on it that denoted the next area I should go.

I most often feel put off when I do know the characters in an RPG. :p

But that's a tangent. You (and Hobbun) caught me before my edit, but I wasn't trying to be mean with that last line--and I tried to amend it for that reason--so much as illustrate a difference in mindsets. To some people, a game can literally be something of a joke if there isn't a story that "completes" the experience or gives some incentive to play. It's a key difference from fans of platformers and shooters, who (because of what tends to be contained within the genre) must feel the gameplay is a self-sufficient reason to play, unless for some reason they're just in for music and graphics. I'm saying that untranslated shooters and platformers are not (and shouldn't in the future be) an endangered species of Virtual Console release precisely, and that's because of the genre fans' different expectations.

Nuclear Muffin was right to suggest that Nintendo probably literally can't release an untranslated RPG. Or at the very least they can't release two, since they'd come under such heavy fire after the first one.

Is it CONFIRMED that GB/GBA are coming?

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!

ALL BOW DOWN BEFORE THE MIGHTY AND TRIUMPHANT DSi, THE ULTIMATE SYSTEM OF FOREVER!

Plus, looks like it'll come with the 1000 pts!!!!!!

Jiggy said:
I most often feel put off when I do know the characters in an RPG. :p

But that's a tangent. You (and Hobbun) caught me before my edit, but I wasn't trying to be mean with that last line--and I tried to amend it for that reason--so much as illustrate a difference in mindsets. To some people, a game can literally be something of a joke if there isn't a story that "completes" the experience or gives some incentive to play. It's a key difference from fans of platformers and shooters, who (because of what tends to be contained within the genre) must feel the gameplay is a self-sufficient reason to play, unless for some reason they're just in for music and graphics. I'm saying that untranslated shooters and platformers are not (and shouldn't in the future be) an endangered species of Virtual Console release precisely, and that's because of the genre fans' different expectations.

Nuclear Muffin was right to suggest that Nintendo probably literally can't release an untranslated RPG. Or at the very least they can't release two, since they'd come under such heavy fire after the first one.
Oh, I'm aware of where you (And Canadian), are coming from on this. It's why you enjoy DQ4 more while I prefer 5. And game play is extremely important to me, even if I found Beyond the Beyond's story interesting, there's no way I could play it. The Final Fantasy's are similar. I find the worlds interesting, but the gameplay doesn't do it for me except in certain situations. And I'm not so put off with voiceless characters if I'm the one that made them, such as in EO.

It think it is possible for some of these games to be released, but the real problem is that most of the ones with a large enough fanbase have already been or will be released on the DS or PSP. It's kind of sapping titles for imports.

Canadian said:
Yeah, chiming in on this conversation, I find myself siding with Jiggy. I prefer stories in games to have as minimal a presence as possible, so not being able to read a game's story wouldn't be much of a loss for me. However, I do acknowledge that there are other problematic issues inherent to playing an imported text-heavy game: not being able to read where to go or not being able to read item and spell names, for instance. Yeah, these can be solved with a FAQ or the manual, but this can be cumbersome, at least at first.

Of course, I think we can all agree that Japan-only games that aren't text-heavy, like Rondo of Blood, Parodius, and any number of TG-16 shooters, should be considered fair game for import releases. :D
It could be fixed with the addition of a little dot showing up on the map to show you where you needed to go next. That would help a lot to keep the game stream-lined even if you can't understand it. Of course, that's tampering and tampering is wrong. :p

Wallach

Having GB/GBC games appear on the DSi in a VC-type store would pretty much make it the system of the forever for me. Hopefully it is handled better than the Wii's VC situation, but thinking about being able to pick up stuff like Gargoyle's Quest again would put a huge grin on my face.

Edit: Wait, GBA as well? Dear god, that would be amazing. Make it happen Nintendo, I'll be busy writing up the contract terms on my soul...

Dave Long

Banned
Oh, I do the sleep less thing. You guys will figure it out when you've got kids that get into the upper single digits/teen years. It's like your life becomes one big commute from place to place and by the time you make it home you're just completely done for the day.

I guess this is why people want their videogames to be so easy they just push buttons while the story unfolds? They're too tired to actually get good at them... :(

Hobbun

Dave Long said:
Oh, I do the sleep less thing. You guys will figure it out when you've got kids that get into the upper single digits/teen years. It's like your life becomes one big commute from place to place and by the time you make it home you're just completely done for the day.

I guess this is why people want their videogames to be so easy they just push buttons while the story unfolds? They're too tired to actually get good at them... :(

Oh, I was kidding about the sleep thing, anyways.

But I agree with you about getting older and having less time to play games. I am single, no kids, and I still don't have a lot of time to play games. I get home from work during the week and I either have things to do at home or I just want to sit, relax and eat.

It is rare when I have a "marathon" session and if I do, it's on the weekend. I might get 10 hours or so a week playing video games.

Jiggy

I got to what I think was the last boss in Detana!! Twin Bee and then it killed me. :(

Great game. Compared to others, I'm pretty sure what makes it unique is that I've never played a shooter that made getting powerups more difficult, so let me describe the process.

To start getting a powerup, you shoot a happy face cloud and a bell pops out. You then juggle the bell up by shooting it an unknown number of times until it changes color to become a powerup (blue = speed up, red = shield (I think), white = double shot, and so on). At that point, if you shoot the bell again (once), it reverts back to its default gold and is good for nothing except a score bonus. If that all sounds easy, it should be mentioned that the happy face clouds come in bursts at the beginning and near the end of the level, so there'll probably be multiple bells on screen simultaneously and you'll want to hit some but not others, and they'll be juggled at different speeds depending on what type of shot you hit them with, like charged or uncharged, and how many times you shot them.

On top of that, the charge shot covers a huge area and, keeping in mind that all of this bell-juggling is going on while fighting dozens of enemies, it's real easy to accidentally hit some back to gold. Even harder after getting a double shot powerup or the three companion ship powerup since then you end up shooting in places you don't really mean to, or you shoot a bell twice successively (because a companion ship was behind or in front of you) and switch it back to gold too soon. And then there's also the factor of dodging enemy fire, so even if you can hit a bell to blue or whatever you want, the process of actually trying to pick it up might net a death and it's all about making some snap decisions.

None of this is frustrating or anything, in case it sounds like that. Every one powerup tends to be amazing just on its own, so you don't need to have multiples going at the same time--and you respawn at the spot, and get a very generous number of lives and continues. I'm just describing it in detail because it's honestly a pretty fascinating powerup system compared to usual fare.

Iam Canadian

Yeah, I've played Parodius, which employs a similar bell power-up system, so I'm pretty used to the Twinbee bells. :D Though in Parodius, it's even worse because shooting the bell just turns it a random colour, so if you're going for a specific colour of bell, it can be difficult to get the one you want and painfully easy to accidentally shoot the bell when it is the colour you want. And in Parodius, the bells are there in addition to the traditional Gradius power-ups, which makes it a pertty hectic system.

You're making it hard for me to last until I get a chance to play Twinbee later, Jigs. :p

crowphoenix said:
It could be fixed with the addition of a little dot showing up on the map to show you where you needed to go next. That would help a lot to keep the game stream-lined even if you can't understand it. Of course, that's tampering and tampering is wrong. :p

Oh, it's not like these games haven't been tampered with, anyway. Sin and Punishment's translation of the tutorial, Ninja Gaiden removing the psychadelic flashing colours when you get a game over, Star Tropics changing the word "yo-yo" to "star"...after those changes, a little dot would hardly be a grievous alteration. :p

Ranger X

Awesome week.

All I ask is to have a choice on the VC update (aka at least 2 games).

So easy to please yet it's so rare we get this!!

I'm still in disbelief that we'll apparently be able to play GB/GBA games directly off of an SD card. In fact it's kind of hard to believe given Nintendo's reticence to use that very same feature on the Wii.

Lee N

Membre
No one has mentioned the japanese DSi Ware titles for next week (april 1st) yet?

DSi Ware 200

Nintendo DSi Tokei Famicom Mario Type and Doubutsu no Mori Type:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/clock/index.html

Chotto Magic Taizen Suki Kirai Hakkenki:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/kmij/index.html

DSi Ware 500

Kakonde Keshite Wakugumi no Jikan:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/kk4j/index.html

Ganbaru Watashi no Osaifu Ouendan (no, not that Ouendan):
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/kkdj/index.html

Kuru Kuru Action Kuru Pachi 6:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/kq6j/index.html

Photo Stand Tsuki Banbro DX Radio:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/kbrj/index.html

A Virtual Handheld service just makes too much sense to not do really, especially since the DSi already has the GBA hardware inside it to run games natively, they'll only need to write GBC emulators for the GB/C games as well since GB code ran natively on the GBC! (There was a button code to change colour pallets on the boot screen so you could choose to run GB games in monocrome green or B&W like the Gameboy Pocket and original GB!)

I hope we get wireless multiplayer support though as well as full multiplayer download play options for multiplayer. That would make rebuy all of my existing multiplayer GB games in an instant :D

Lee N

Membre
Netto-kun said:
"My Wallet Cheering Squad"? Sounds like an interesting DSi application.:lol
It's a spreadsheet program of sorts, you can also export the data to a CSV file on your SD cart - which can then be used in regular spreadsheet software on your PC.

Weird as hell.

Princess Skittles said:
Untranslated, I take it?

*Points to his pics of Twinbee* As someone who owns it, trust me when I say it doesn't need translating. Twinbee & Winbee travel to another planet to save Princess Melora with some kick booty shooting action. That's all you need to know, the game itself is plenty charming all on its own. And with a username like princess skittles, it'd be downright criminal for you not to get it. :lol

Me and my friends have been playing Bomberman '94 multiplayer for years and it took us all but a couple minutes to figure out the multiplayer options. It absolutely kills both BMan '93 for multiplayer btw. It's still the one we come back to the most.

Oh yeah, and I'd like to add that the 'roos add a ton of replay value to the multiplayer battles. Some can leap over the blasts, kick soft blocks out of the way, super speed, ect.

Lee N said:
I think you translating.

har har My excuse is I'm posting on my Wii browser today so I blame the remote. btw, nice avatar. Otocky looks a bit like a Twinbee.

Chumly

World of Goo costs and sales breakdowns

According to Carmel, the tiny two-man company spent $96,000 during a span of two years as it created World of Goo. It also made investments of $4,000 on hardware, $1,000 on software, $5,000 on QA testing, $5,000 for localization and $5,000 on legal fees.

Cost:
=116000

Pundits have speculated relentlessly about whether or not World of Goo was ultimately more successful on WiiWare, Steam, Drect2Drive or as a download from 2D Boy's website, and Carmel put the rumors to bed. The developer showed via an on-screen graph that about 25% of World of Goo sales last year resulted from the website. About 3% of sales came from traditional retail avenues. And WiiWare accounted for roughly 60% of all sales in 2008 -- easily outperforming everything else. Carmel did, however, state that sales of the game over Steam have increased in 2009.

60% of sales from Wiiware
25% of sales from their own website
3% of sales from retail
12% of sales from Steam and Drect2Drive

They did say that steam sales were up this year which Im sure was because of the firesale they had on the game.

BooJoh

Lee N said:
Nintendo DSi Tokei Famicom Mario Type and Doubutsu no Mori Type:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/clock/index.html
Do these have alarm clock functionality? And does the DSi have a clock/alarm clock built in that you don't have to buy?

As happy as I am about the possibility of re-buying my entire GB/GBC/GBA library (about 50 games each) I think I'm more excited at the prospect that this might eventually lead to being able to download games for the handhelds I passed up on, like Game Gear, NGPC, and Lynx.

Rlan

It's an interesting contrast between these digital download games, the "Team of six to 10 given 6-9 months to develop a game" to the "1-3 guys give themselves 2 years to develop a game".

In the end with WOG and Braid it's almost sounding like the latter is a more expensive venture.

BooJoh said:
I think I'm more excited at the prospect that this might eventually lead to being able to download games for the handhelds I passed up on, like Game Gear, NGPC, and Lynx.
Turboexpress. :p

Really, I wish the DS had been slightly higher resolution... whatever x 224. Give us enough lines for games from all the old consoles without doing any sort of scaling down. I think the limitation was put in place partially because of the reuse of the PPU from the GBA - which drew to a 256x256 window, if memory serves.

Edit: party like it's post 1999?

Morts

As awesome as Virtual Handheld would be, I'd rather have the ability to take my SNES VC games on Wii, put them on a SD card, and play them on my DSi.

Lee N

Membre
BooJoh said:
Do these have alarm clock functionality? And does the DSi have a clock/alarm clock built in that you don't have to buy?
Yes, they do. You can even record your own sounds for the alarm with the DS microphone.

And of course the DSi has a built in alarm that you don't have to buy, just like the previous two incarnations of the DS hardware.

Still catching up on the thread. Jiggy, glad to hear you're enjoying Twinbee. The bell system while dicey at first ("Ahhhh! Finally got a green one but shot it back to gold!" :D ), is addictive after you get used to it.

GBA/GB/GBC downloads on the DSi shop is interesting but I have most of the carts of titles I'd potentially want. Many of which I've invested a lot of time in over the years and still play, especially my GBA games. Plus I have an SP2 which for me greatly softens the blow of no GBA slot. I'm sure they'll eventually upload something I'll want. But whenever I get my DSi, I plan on selling my Lite and keeping the SP2 for my main GB fix (SMB DX on the SP2's screen is a thing of beauty).

edit: And as Morts said, being able to take Wii VC games to go would be much more desirable IMHO.

Perhaps GB shop titles could open up new possibilties though? Maybe full color versions of games like SML, Metrod II or GB Kirby? Or finshed but unreleased titles?

And hopefully the info on bootable SD downloads on DSi is correct and will possibly bode well for Wii owners (give us the update already, Iwata!)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I didn't know Rocket Knight Adventure had a sequel, never played that!
How does it compare to the original? Can we expect it to come to the VC?

BooJoh said:

As happy as I am about the possibility of re-buying my entire GB/GBC/GBA library (about 50 games each) I think I'm more excited at the prospect that this might eventually lead to being able to download games for the handhelds I passed up on, like Game Gear, NGPC, and Lynx.

Rumor has it that Sega's interested as well: http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=12788

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom