• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up on the Game Gear, as opposed to a Game Boy (which came later), so eventual confirmation of this rumor would make me extremely happy, and may force my hand in purchasing a DSi.

SabinFigaro said:
I grew up on the Game Gear, as opposed to a Game Boy (which came later), so eventual confirmation of this rumor would make me extremely happy, and may force my hand in purchasing a DSi.

World Series baseball for Game Gear was sports gaming crack when I was younger. Loved it.

BikoBiko

I'm so excited at the possibility of a DSi VC. Super Mario Land 2 will be my day 1 because I destroyed my original cartridge as a kid but I loved the game so much I just kept the cartridge anyway. Hope the rumors are true!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Lee N said:
The latest DSi Ware update is up now.

Phantasy Star Zero Mini
Kuuki Yomi DS
Korogashi Puzzle Katamari Damacy

There goes anywork I had planned today

Somnid

Agent Unknown said:
Some interesting VC, WW, and DSi announcements from Iwata at GDC tomorrow according to Sam Kennedy in his 1Up blog.

Nice to hear, I was expecting as much.

Here's my VC platform roadmap:

-SD Storage Solution (SD card auto-transfer with buffer space, menu updates)
-Virtual Portable for DSi
-Unified Shop Account system (DSi/Wii)
-Unified VC system (Shared pool of VC games, transferrable across both platforms)

Let's see how many points get checked. Wow me Iwata.

VOOK

Just downloaded the Phantasy Star 0 Mini DSiWare title, so what am I meant to do in it :lol

Milabrega

Whats the better way to spend 2500 Wii Points:

DoReMi Fantasy + Sin & Punishment

Sin & Punishment + Super Metroid + an NES title [Punch Out!!, Kid Icarus, or Star Tropics]

or 3 titles from this list, DoReMi Fantasy, Zelda:lttp, Super Metroid, or DKC2: Diddy's Kongquest

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Milabrega said:

Sin & Punishment + Super Metroid + an NES title [Punch Out!!, Kid Icarus, or Star Tropics]

or 3 titles from this list, DoReMi Fantasy, Zelda:lttp, Super Metroid, or DCK2: Diddy's Kongquest

This is a hell of a lot of sublime gameplay for 25 bucks.

Jiggy

Milabrega said:

or 3 titles from this list, DoReMi Fantasy, Zelda:lttp, Super Metroid, or DKC2: Diddy's Kongquest
DoReMi, Super Metroid, and DKC2.

I actually do like LttP more than either of the 2D platformers, but there are a few Zelda games on par with or close to LttP, whereas DoReMi Fantasy and DKC2 are respectively my third and second favorite 2D platformers of all. Whichever way you could go on the final list, though, you'd be selecting from four of my top five VC picks--the other being Secret of Mana. Awesome list of win there.

Somnid said:
Nice to hear, I was expecting as much.

Here's my VC platform roadmap:

-Unified VC system (Shared pool of VC games, transferrable across both platforms)

Let's see how many points get checked. Wow me Iwata.

I like those predictions, especially Wii-DS VC compatibility. I'd be surprised if they did that but it'd be amazing. And if he really does unveil the SD update, I hope they have the decency to give it to us ASAP after the conference. If I hear him give another vague description/date followed by "Thank you for your patience" for the third time, I am gonna have a stroke.

edit: Speaking of updates in general, we are long overdue for an upgrade to the Opera browser, namely Flash 9. A friend brought his PS3 over this weekend and I was mighty envious when he showed me that he can watch Hulu on it now. Multiplayer Little Big Planet followed by catching up on the Office made for a pretty darn enjoyable afternoon, I gotta say. But as long as I can still watch MST3K on my Wii opera through Youtube and Google video, I'm happy. :) That is, as long as those sites continue to be viewable through flash 7. :\

This possibility of VC<->VH compatibility would be great. You could play a game at home on screen and then switch the SD card into the DSi and play on the go. They have to do this, at least in Japan.

But atm this is not possible because of the different save file handling, right? As far as I know the DSi has the saves in the game included. The Wii has them separated

Somnid

Caesar III said:
This possibility of VC<->VH compatibility would be great. You could play a game at home on screen and then switch the SD card into the DSi and play on the go. They have to do this, at least in Japan.

But atm this is not possible because of the different save file handling, right? As far as I know the DSi has the saves in the game included. The Wii has them separated

A save syncing utility would be pretty easy to implement via wireless. I think you would need 2 seperate copies of the VC game though, one downloaded by each device. A simple wireless transfer solution would require something like a check in/check out system that lends out games one at a time and that I think would be too much of a DRM hassle.

Lee N said:
The latest DSi Ware update is up now.

Phantasy Star Zero Mini
Kuuki Yomi DS
Korogashi Puzzle Katamari Damacy

Is this game is in full 3D? If so, can someone check to see if it has texture filtering? (We haven't actually seen any true 3D games running on the DSi, would be interesting to see if they've improved the system spec outside of a processor and RAM increase!)

swerve

Somnid said:

That's the most optimistic list I've ever seen. Even more so than the Zelda Fanfic in the GDC thread :)

-The Storage Solution isn't going to be the buffer space one you want. It's going to be 'save to SD'.
-Virtual Portable I can see coming down the line (otherwise why have a 'DSiWare' section in the DSi Shop? It's so you can add other sections).
-Unified shop account I doubt, seeing as they've only just announced the change to 'Nintendo Points' for Europe/US. It'd be weird to do all that work and then say 'actually, we're just going to let you use your wii points on DS and vice versa'.
-Unified VC for what systems? You want DSi to emulate N64 games? Hrm..

VOOK

Nuclear Muffin said:
Is this game is in full 3D? If so, can someone check to see if it has texture filtering? (We haven't actually seen any true 3D games running on the DSi, would be interesting to see if they've improved the system spec outside of a processor and RAM increase!)

Looks like a normal DS game to me, and by that I mean ass-tastic.

Anyone want video? Probably no point as anything Iwata does will make people forget :p

VOOK

Alrighty sorry to double post but;

The DSi Store is down, there is no new firmware so it's not that....

Anyone's Wii Store down?

Netto-kun

Japanese Wii Shop Channel is down as well. And it's been like that for several hours? How weird. By the way, Korogashi Puzzle Katamari Damacy is pretty fun.

Somnid

swerve said:
That's the most optimistic list I've ever seen. Even more so than the Zelda Fanfic in the GDC thread :)

They aren't announcement predictions as much as how I think the shop system should/will progress in the exteneded future hence "roadmap." In fact they were in order, once the top of the list gets done the bottom will start to be worked on. I would never expect Iwata to drop all of it nor do I expect that last point anytime in the foreseeable future.

edit: With my scanner I can confirm the both the Wii and DSi shop is down in all regions. Storage solution at least for Wii I imagine, not sure about DSi, hopefully we'll see a bigger jump in my roadmap than I anticipate.

Dave Long

Banned
Bought Bit.Trip Beat last night and really love it. Only 600 points is crazy for a game of such high quality design. People need to check it out!

Downside... I had to move World of Goo to SD card fridge storage. Too many blocks! Argh!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
swerve said:

-The Storage Solution isn't going to be the buffer space one you want. It's going to be 'save to SD'.
Why do you think this? Guitar Hero already does a background transfer from SD to buffer, so it is definitely possible and I would say probable that the storage solution will allow background transfer from SD to console memory.

Hopefully Nintendo will soon add the GB Pokemon games to the supposed DSiWare VC so that they can add Stadium 1 & 2 to the Wii VC.

And for fuck sake bring SSB to the VC overseas already!

Capndrake

Unexpected EU VC update oh OH MY GOD ARCADE GAMES:

-Mappy (Arcade, 500 points)
-The Tower of Druaga (Arcade, 500)
-Starforce (Arcade, 500)
-Gaplus (Arcade, 500)

Capndrake said:

-Starforce (Arcade, 500)
-Gaplus (Arcade, 500)

Same for NA Virtual Console, except the tecmo game is 600 points. SOMEONE CHECK the DSi SHOP!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
poppabk said:
Why do you think this? Guitar Hero already does a background transfer from SD to buffer, so it is definitely possible and I would say probable that the storage solution will allow background transfer from SD to console memory.
This is true, update your Wii, it's available right now. Puts an SD card icon on your main screen.

Capndrake said:

-Starforce (Arcade, 500)
-Gaplus (Arcade, 500)
Wait. We're getting arcade games now?

Virtual Console Arcade sounds great but I'm not in the mood to list a bunch of arcade games I want to see that may or may not make it to the service.

Milabrega said:

Sin & Punishment is the one and only absolute must-own VC game, because it's the only game with a VC-exclusive English release. Sure the N64 cart has English voice acting, but it has Japanese menus and tutorial... but because of how great it is, and the translation, it should be a must-own.

Beyond that, there are a great number of great VC titles...

Oh, and arcade games on the VC is fantastic, as is the storage solution and DSi virtual console. Expected (apart from the arcade games thing)... but fantastic. :)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Nintendo really did right with the storage solution possibly. But to state for certain, can someone try running like World of Goo or MLAAK from SD? I can when I get home but would be cool to know before hand.

And for anyone wondering, newegg has 32GB cards for like $75 and 16GB cards starting at under $20.

VOOK

DSi shop looks the same... but it is 2am...

must sleeeeeeeeeeeeeepppppppppppppppp

there we go

borghe said:
Nintendo really did right with the storage solution possibly. But to state for certain, can someone try running like World of Goo or MLAAK from SD? I can when I get home but would be cool to know before hand.

And for anyone wondering, newegg has 32GB cards for like $75 and 16GB cards starting at under $20.

I tried out Sin and Punishment, took about 15 seconds or so. Nice and quick :D

VOOK said:
DSi shop looks the same... but it is 2am...

must sleeeeeeeeeeeeeepppppppppppppppp

there we go
Maybe its update was to allow play off of SD Cards just like the Wii?

@borghe: World of Goo loaded up within 10 seconds from the SD Card.

This solution is rerally all I wanted. All I need is to always have 350 blocks free on my main memory and I'm set! :D

Wow. So there's been an arcade emulator hiding in our systems for who knows how long? Very cool. Now give us the REAL Donkey Kong!

Anyways, 21 days ago....

Agent Unknown said:
My ideal version of the update would be a small SD card button on the bottom of the dashboard. Clicking the button would bring up a separate dashboard representing your SD card with virtually endless channel slots limited only by how much space is on the card. Regardless of what it ends up being, they need to ditch the 48 channel limit for the card.

And this is what they did! Yessss! Clicking the SD icon brings up a separate dashboard. After I re-downloaded a bunch of content, I have 20 pages worth of empty channels available on my 2 gig card! The games load into memory quickly too. However....

Otherwise there'd still eventually be a need for re-shuffling content between the system....

Of course, as we know now, you must have the space available on your system to launch any given game from the card. But after reorganizing everything, I have 282 blocks free. I just need to move over S&P and that will give me between 400+ to 500 blocks. Eventually I'll have enough comfort space to fill up the rest of my Wii's main page with smaller VC games.

Anyways. thanks Iwata and Nintendo! Oh, and +1 respect for the IGN Wii team.

Only odd thing about the update was I never got a system alert. I had to do the update through the system menu after reading about it in one of the hype threads.

Man, it feels so good to have the update. Nintendo Channel was one of the first non game channels to get moved. Bam! 200 extra blocks right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom