• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ Danthrax: Thanks, sensei. :D

First I've heard of Pyoro. Just found the flash game I'ma hook up my keyboard to my Wii and see if I can give it a spin.

edit: And it works, sweet. Fun little game. Man, I really do need to get into the GBA Wario Ware games.

Ranger X

Iam Canadian said:
Only so he remind himself of how inferior it is. ;)

You played it?
I've never played it but I really liked Kirby's Adventure on the NES (from the VC too).

I was thinking about buying it because it's rare a play a Kirby game. So is it worth it if i'm not playing all the Kirby games out there?

Jiggy

Kirby's Adventure (NES) >>>> Kirby's Dream Land 3
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (GBA) >>>> Kirby's Dream Land 3
Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB) >>> Kirby's Dream Land 3
Kirby Squeak Squad (DS) >>> Kirby's Dream Land 3
Kirby Super Star (SNES) or Kirby Super Star Ultra (DS) >>>>> Kirby's Dream Land 3
Kirby Super Star Ultra's NEW CONTENT ONLY >>>>> Kirby's Dream Land 3

The only reason I would even theoretically buy Kirby's Dream Land 3 on VC (and I couldn't do that right now if I wanted to because I'm away from my Wii for a couple more days) is to record footage of it to demonstrate just how far it stands behind nearly every other Kirby game. As is, the only thing I ever say about KDL3 is that nobody who hasn't played anything else in the series first needs to avoid it because it's going to sour them and they'll think Kirby has even less difficulty than it does.

I'll pay it one compliment, though: it's at least better than Kirby 64!

Edit: With Kirby 64, I'd caution people against it even more. KDL3 at least only slowed the game down to something like 85% the speed of actual good Kirby games like Super Star and Adventure and stripped away any semblance of difficulty, while Kirby 64 duplicated the difficulty issue but also cut speed to more like 55% and is far and away the least representative experience one can find in the series for that reason. Even if someone somehow liked Kirby 64, that would kind of suck for them since they'd never find anything like it in the rest of the series--but anyone who liked Dream Land 3 would be blown away by the real classics that deliver the same style of gameplay but better.

Teknoman said:
As long as Kirby 3 has cool music, is fun, and has decent replay value, it's a purchase for me.
You'd have to settle for one out of the three, which is the cool music. :p

Jiggy

Well, if Kirby 64 was worth $10 to you, Kirby's Dream Land 3 would certainly be worth $8 to you. It's definitely more than 80% as good--it's actually more like 105% as good.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
What about Canvas Curse? Is that better or worse than KDL3? CC is the only Kirby game I've ever played. (I liked it a lot, BTW.)

Jiggy

Can't really compare them since Canvas Curse is a spinoff in the series--the only things similar about that and other Kirby games are the always-superb music and beautiful artistry, with everything else working differently. Canvas Curse doesn't even match in difficulty, as it's by far the most challenging experience in a Kirby game other than some of the bonus content in Kirby Super Star Ultra.

But if I went ahead with a cross-genre comparison despite my reservations, then I'd say Canvas Curse massacres Dream Land 3--and I say that even though I have one of the lowest opinions of Canvas Curse I've seen on GAF. :p (It's a B- game to me or thereabouts.)

I think a Super Mario game is critical to making WiiWare a more successful and used service. Leveraging the series seems like a no-brainer, so I hope one is in the works.

Teknoman

TheGrayGhost said:
I think a Super Mario game is critical to making WiiWare a more successful and used service. Leveraging the series seems like a no-brainer, so I hope one is in the works.

A 2.5D (everyone else shut up) Mario platformer would be great for Wiiware.

Of course a Mario game with Wario Land Shake it's style would be nice.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Ranger X said:
Damn you Jiggy :p

I guess i'm going to wait for Kirby SuperStar to update one day :)

Or you could buy Kirby Super Star Ultra, which has some truly awesome extra content that makes it well worth the price of admission. :D

And I agree with Jiggy, Kirby: Canvas Curse gets more praise than it really deserves. >_> Solid B- game for me, and I don't like it nearly as much as Super Star, Amazing Mirror, or Adventure.

Teknoman

I will say Metaknight's revenge on Superstar Ultra is awesome. Even the bottom screen dialog adds alot to the area.

Colin

Neo Member
I enjoyed Canvas Curse - the main playthrough, at least.

A lot of the later Rainbow Run challenges are just absolutely diabolical, and that's what soured me on the game in the long run. I didn't have the patience to memorize stage layouts and plan out the fastest route/lowest ink usage just to grab enough tokens to unlock whatever. It was a really good concept and fun while it lasted, but I could only stand it so much before moving on.

KDL3 isn't a bad game by any means but it's definitely slow-paced and plodding compared to the recent games in the series. If you're a fan of Kirby, I'd say it's worth $8 and you'll probably get some enjoyment out of it; if you're new to the series, grab Kirby's Adventure from VC and enjoy.

Ranger X

I'm not sure about SuperStar Ultra. It's tempting but i'm cautious about the structure of the game. I understood it isn't the traditional structure of worlds with levels in it? (like Kirby Adventures).

Anyhow, i'm certainly not paying a full DS game. Most Kirby games make me fall asleep because everytime I play i'm like "meh, it's too similar to Kirby's Adventure or not as good". I would totally pay 8$ for Superstar if it's a traditional Kirby.

As for Canvas Curse, it totally caught me off guard and I loved loved it. Amazing Kirby franchised game.

Iam Canadian

Ranger X said:
I'm not sure about SuperStar Ultra. It's tempting but i'm cautious about the structure of the game. I understood it isn't the traditional structure of worlds with levels in it? (like Kirby Adventures).

Anyhow, i'm certainly not paying a full DS game. Most Kirby games make me fall asleep because everytime I play i'm like "meh, it's too similar to Kirby's Adventure or not as good". I would totally pay 8$ for Superstar if it's a traditional Kirby.

As for Canvas Curse, it totally caught me off guard and I loved loved it. Amazing Kirby franchised game.

No, Kirby Super Star doesn't have a traditional structure. Each "mini-game", while they share the same basic game mechanics, play very differently in terms of pacing and flow. For instance, the Spring Breeze game is essentially a remake of the first Kirby's Dream Land. Then there's The Great Cave Offensive, which is like a short little Metroidvania title with a focus on exploration and solving puzzles with Kirby's abilities. Or there's Revenge of Meta Knight, which is a fast-paced, time-limited game that just throws swarms of enemies and almost constant mini-boss and full boss fights at you. Each game offers its own experience.

It's a lot better than Adventure, and I consider it fully worth the $30.

HUELEN10

Banner updated. Sorry it took so long, pic hosting was a little fucked up, and classes were long, but from now on, it should be smooth sailing!

As for the topic at hand, I have been playing till the 2nd world of Dreamland 3. Such a great little game.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Just updated with a little extra information on the three Japanese VC games. I also fixed an error where I put NES instead of Famicom.

Lastly, I changed the JP DSiWare and WiiWare releases from "None announced yet" to "None" because it looks like Japan's getting nothing on those fronts this week. =\

I have 2500 points waiting to be used, I went out and bought the points cards when the good weeks began happening one after they other. Oh well, there's always next week and the next and the one after that.

Kalten

Hi, A friend of mine works for a small wii/ds game company and asked me to port my game (1112) to the wii... It's an adventure iPhone game with a First person Point of view

the original graphics are done in 800x600 and the fact that you point on every object you can see to interact would work well on wii...
I'm a bit concerned about the 42mb size limit (the iphone version took 128mb alone..)

more infos here
trailer here
what do you guys think?

The game is the first episode of a serie and last 5h for an average player without using walkthroughs

What would be a suitable amount of point worth for the game?

I don't understand why you all hate Kirby 64 so much. While, yeah Kirby's Adventure is the best by far with the DS Kirbys right after it, I ADORE Kirby 64.

Jiggy

Wii Will Rock U said:
I don't understand why you all hate Kirby 64 so much.
Speed is integral to an action game, and Kirby 64 doesn't offer it. Watching a video of even Kirby's Dream Land 3 looks bloody astounding compared to Kirby 64.

Also, fun fact: Sakurai, the series' creator, never got involved with Kirby 64. Explains a lot to me about why the game has such a fundamentally different, more methodical feel--to be diplomatic with words.

As word grew that the development team were going to begin a new Kirby platform game for Nintendo 64 instead, word quickly spread that Sakurai would not work on the game in any form. In fact, Sakurai commented that he would not let himself get involved. Supposedly Sakurai never even laid eyes on the game until it was released, where he played it for the first time himself with the rest of the public.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Kalten said:
Hi, A friend of mine works for a small wii/ds game company and asked me to port my game (1112) to the wii... It's an adventure iPhone game with a First person Point of view

the original graphics are done in 800x600 and the fact that you point on every object you can see to interact would work well on wii...
I'm a bit concerned about the 42mb size limit (the iphone version took 128mb alone..)

more infos here
trailer here
what do you guys think?

The game is the first episode of a serie and last 5h for an average player without using walkthroughs

I support this endeavour! I wasn't aware that there was a 42mb limit for WiiWare, that does pose problems. Surely you could find a way, though.

I'd think $10 per episode (wasn't Strong Bad priced similarly?) would work.

Ranger X

Kalten said:

more infos here
trailer here
what do you guys think?

Adventure game (PC style) with awesome art work? I would buy that in a heartbeat!

Kalten

what is the length of each strong bad episode? (with and without spoiler) ? just to have an idea if we play in the same league...

also, where can I find info about the sales number for wiiware? (just to see if it can be as profitable as the iphone/itouch appstore)

TJ Spyke

Kalten said:
also, where can I find info about the sales number for wiiware? (just to see if it can be as profitable as the iphone/itouch appstore)

No official numbers have been released AFAIK.

DNF

Kalten said:
maybe you could do it like taito did with space invaders get even and release the first episode in two halfs (each 400 points for example), so you would have double the size limit ?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Kalten said:
what is the length of each strong bad episode? (with and without spoiler) ? just to have an idea if we play in the same league...

Strong Bad episodes range from 4 to 6 hours if you don't go online for hints and don't spend extra time looking for virtually worthless collectables. Doing just the main story on your own generally takes an average of 5 hours. So your game is probably in that range. And yeah, each Strong Bad game cost 1,000 Nintendo Points (equals $10 of course).

I don't think there are any WiiWare sales numbers, unfortunately. Try asking Nintendo themselves, they may speak to your publisher (but good luck getting through their obtuse PR firm if it's still Golin-Harris).

nincompoop said:
Looks like IGN panned it. Though I'd probably wait for a reputable site to review it before rushing to judgement.

Yeah... read the comments section under that review, people say it's bullocks. They've already patched some of the problems the reviewer complained about. And then he says the hand-drawn graphics look great but gives them a 7.7? He bitches about length when it's supposedly five hours long and costs $8? I mean what did he expect?

Jiggy37 said:
Speed is integral to an action game, and Kirby 64 doesn't offer it. Watching a video of even Kirby's Dream Land 3 looks bloody astounding compared to Kirby 64.

Also, fun fact: Sakurai, the series' creator, never got involved with Kirby 64. Explains a lot to me about why the game has such a fundamentally different, more methodical feel--to be diplomatic with words.

He wasn't involved with Kirby's Dreamland 2 or 3 either.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
TJ Spyke said:
That sites goes by Nintendo Channel data. That means it only counts people who have played a game for a certain time period (I think at least 6 hours).

I thought it was only one hour.

But yeah you can't go by that site because the number of people who downloaded the Nintendo Channel and opted to share their data through it is significantly lower than the actual number of people buying games.

I forget what the average ratio is. Isn't it Nintendo Channel numbers are like 40% of actual sales, based on sales of games we know like Smash Bros. and Wii Fit?

Danthrax said:
I thought it was only one hour.

But yeah you can't go by that site because the number of people who downloaded the Nintendo Channel and opted to share their data through it is significantly lower than the actual number of people buying games.

I forget what the average ratio is. Isn't it Nintendo Channel numbers are like 40% of actual sales, based on sales of games we know like Smash Bros. and Wii Fit?
A few things to keep in mind: You can't compare the ratio for retail games to download games since around half of all Wii owners don't have their console online. The ratio probably also differs for mass market games compared to niche games, as people who buy games like Zack & Wiki are probably more likely to use the Nintendo Channel than people who buy game like Mario Kart. And the data isn't as useful for games which were released after the launch of the Nintendo Channel, because your information is only shared when you actually use the Nintendo Channel, but most people don't use the Nintendo Channel very often and some people haven't even touched it since it first launched.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Kalten said:

I haven't had a chance to look at the trailer/details yet (as I'm not at home), but I will say that assuming it looks interesting, I'd imagine the 800-1000 point range ($8-$10) is suitable. I'd rather you kept it to 800 points, but that's just me. Too many Wii Ware games seem overpriced at the moment, especially coming from known developers OR with lots of hype; it might be safer to test the waters at 800 points and see if you can get buyers.

Of course, if you DO get it on Wii Ware, the next step is to go talk to the guys at that WiiWare World site and get some free marketing plugs.

Kalten

thanks for the advice !

right now the first episode is priced 8 bucks on appstore (took 6 month too make so i could'nt affort to sell it next to nothing like most app makers does) but other episode will be 4.99 (wich is apparently the perfect price for quality iphone title with few marketing)

So 800 is fine with me, and other episode would be 500 points

Nintendo is using the same 30% cut as Apple does, right?

http://www.wiiware-world.com/news/2009/01/planet_pachinko_out_next_monday_on_wiiware
Click the link for a trailer
Readers with good memories will remember last month that we did an interview with Allied Kingdoms about their upcoming game Planet Pachinko. It’s great to see an indie company taking a chance on WiiWare with something original like this.

The good news is for anything interested in this that it will be available for download next Monday (12th Jan) in North America, for only 500 Wii points.

TJ Spyke

Kalten said:
Nintendo is using the same 30% cut as Apple does, right?

I think the only public info we have is when a developer said Nintendo charged less than Microsoft (this was when Microsoft was still taking 75% though).

For Kirby's Dream Land 3, I think it's pretty evident playing it that they were going for a really young audience. The gameplay's very simplified, the graphics are more adorable than ever, there's hardly any text at all. I think it's an enjoyable game, but I think you have to keep in mind that they likely made the game for kindergartners.

Jiggy

Nuclear Muffin said:
He wasn't involved with Kirby's Dreamland 2 or 3 either.
I was about to say something on going three for three on my least favorite Kirby games--at least of the ones I've played, since I never tried the original GB game--but then I remembered that Sakurai wasn't involved with Amazing Mirror or Squeak Squad either and I like those (particularly Amazing Mirror).

Still, where'd that information come from?

TJ Spyke

Jiggy37 said:
I was about to say something on going three for three on my least favorite Kirby games--at least of the ones I've played, since I never tried the original GB game--but then I remembered that Sakurai wasn't involved with Amazing Mirror or Squeak Squad either and I like those (particularly Amazing Mirror).

You never played Kirby's Dream Land for the Game Boy? That was the first Kirby game.

Jiggy

I know it was the first Kirby--I meant "the original [for] GB game" rather than "the original [of the] GB game." And yeah, I actually never played it. Not sure I'd want to either, considering that Kirby didn't even have copy powers yet; there's nothing entertaining about his standard moveset except challenging myself to not use powers, and that only works in games where he has that option in the first place.

Iam Canadian

Mariah Carey said:
For Kirby's Dream Land 3, I think it's pretty evident playing it that they were going for a really young audience. The gameplay's very simplified, the graphics are more adorable than ever, there's hardly any text at all. I think it's an enjoyable game, but I think you have to keep in mind that they likely made the game for kindergartners.

The secret final boss would have been pretty intense for kindergarteners, though. I mean,
it's a creepy-looking giant eyeball that squirts red, blood-like projectiles at Kirby. That's a bit disturbing.

Despite the fact that I dislike the game, I 100%'d it. I apparently have problems. D:

Jiggy said:

Just took it from the credits listings (BTW he was credited as Special Advisor in Amazing Mirror, so he took a supervisory role in that game)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JoshuaJSlone said:
Two other things of note about this.

1) It's from our own Stumpokapow.
2) I can't say for certain, but I don't think he's updated it in a long time. The WiiWare selection only has near-launch titles, so these numbers probably go back to not long after the Nintendo Channel first released. Since it depends on people checking out stats for games they own and manually reporting to him, there probably wasn't much participation.

I haven't updated it because I don't have the Nintendo channel installed anymore ;)

I'll see if I can clear some fridge space and update it. I also don't think Nintendo released aggregate sales figures with their recent fiscals, so I'll have to try to dig some of those up.

Iam Canadian

Nuclear Muffin said:
Just took it from the credits listings (BTW he was credited as Special Advisor in Amazing Mirror, so he took a supervisory role in that game)

Which is why Amazing Mirror is the best Flagship Kirby game. ;)

Personally, my personal order for the main-series Kirby games is Super Star (Ultra) > Amazing Mirror > Adventure/NiDL > Squeak Squad > Dream Land > Dream Land 3 > Crystal Shards.

I've never actually played KDL2.

Jiggy said:
I know it was the first Kirby--I meant "the original [for] GB game" rather than "the original [of the] GB game." And yeah, I actually never played it. Not sure I'd want to either, considering that Kirby didn't even have copy powers yet; there's nothing entertaining about his standard moveset except challenging myself to not use powers, and that only works in games where he has that option in the first place.

I actually owned that one. As a kid it was hard as hell. Which really surprises me since my memories of the NES version have no such trauma.

The horror. The gray, gray horror.

Iam Canadian

I have the original Kirby's Dream Land as well. While the main game is an easy, twenty-minute romp, the secret Extra game is...something else entirely.

To this day, I don't think I've ever actually beaten Extra Mode. It's like Kirby crossed with a bullet hell shooter; you're just bombarded with stupidly fast and numerous enemies and your only defense is your inhale ability. That might get one enemy out of your way, but in the time it took for you to inhale that one enemy, five more have darted in out of nowhere and hit you.

I have to respect a Kirby game where it's feasible to get a game over on Green Greens, though.

Kalten

funny fact, th e day after I asked my question for 1112 port on the wii, there were hundreds of gaming website relaying the news all over the world, it just double my daily sales for the iphone ;)

but now people are really expecting the game for the wii... well I'll see what I can do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom