• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official's 'Dirty Girl' Quip Draws Fire, protest called off cause its a white girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

andthebeatgoeson

That is funny.

Riordan, a venture capitalist who started a foundation supporting literacy, has a reputation for awkward - some might say insensitive - remarks and behavior.

As mayor, he once greeted hunger strikers outside his office eating a hamburger. In a speech to school administrators earlier this year, he told a story about a nun physically disciplining a student that startled some in the audience.

*shakes head*

miyuru

Dymally did not return telephone calls. His office issued a statement Wednesday calling Riordan's remarks to the girl "outrageous and irresponsible," then issued another statement Thursday saying, "To err is human; to forgive is divine."

snoop_dogg(2004-as-huggy-bear-med).jpg

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously. First, there's the immediate knee-jerk reaction of assuming the girl is black. What does that show about the thought processes of the people who supposedly got so upset about this? And then there's the "if she's white then it's alright with me" response. What about the fact that the guy called a preschooler a stupid dirty girl?

Oh, and one more thing...

The head of the California NAACP is demanding state Education Secretary Richard Riordan resign for jokingly telling a preschooler that her name, Isis, meant "stupid dirty girl."

The unidentified girl, who appeared to be a preschooler, asked Riordan if he knew that her name meant "Egyptian goddess."

FightyF

Banned
The conversation, videotaped by KEYT-TV, took place Thursday at a promotional event for summer reading at Santa Barbara's central library. The unidentified girl, who appeared to be a preschooler, asked Riordan if he knew that her name meant "Egyptian goddess."

Riordan replied, "It means stupid dirty girl."

After nervous laughter in the room, the girl again told Riordan the meaning of her name.

"Hey, that's nifty," he said.

This guy's an idiot. What kind of joke is that...and he's in charge of education? Maybe he felt embarrased because he was being educated by a pre-schooler.

Dare I say that he was Pre-skooled?

tenchir

Fight for Freeform said:
This guy's an idiot. What kind of joke is that...and he's in charge of education? Maybe he felt embarrased because he was being educated by a pre-schooler.

Dare I say that he was Pre-skooled?

He's just teasing her. I have done that often with my nieces playschool friends. I even made up BS about what their name means to get them to laugh. I just think everyone is making a big deal about it. Or didn't head everything, I was surprise that the girl was black considering her name was Isis so I'm pretty sure a lot of people thought that he made the comment to a black girl too. Even then it's a double standard.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
As mayor, he once greeted hunger strikers outside his office eating a hamburger.

wow.. this guy is awesome... haha.

Dymally was quoted in the San Jose Mercury News Thursday saying the child was "a little African-American girl. Would he (Riordan) have done that to a white girl?"

The girl is white, with blonde hair.

i hate how some people are so quick to call someone a racist... this was a nice slap to that idiocy.

Socreges

Banned
Stories like this just make me laugh. No one was hurt. At worst, some stupid knob will get fired.
The unidentified girl, who appeared to be a preschooler, asked Riordan if he knew that her name meant "Egyptian goddess."

Riordan replied, "It means stupid dirty girl."

After nervous laughter in the room, the girl again told Riordan the meaning of her name.

"Hey, that's nifty," he said.
ahahaha

Amazingly idiotic on both sides. Riordan as Secretary of Education is like Bozo the Clown being Minister of Culture. Or Arnold Schwartzenegger as gover...whoops. If a teacher told a pre-schooler she was a stupid dirty girl, even as a "joke", they'd likely be suspended if not fired.

As for the whole racism, whoops-she's-not-black thing...that would require an entirely new gif. The pukey rolleyes won't suffice for this one.

What does this comment have to do with race? Why should it matter if he said it to a black girl or white girl? And fucking lollerskates at eating a hamburger infront of people on a hunger strike.

calder

Obviously the NAACP and the inevitable grandstanding politician look pretty dumb because they jumped all over this thinking it had racial, and therefore jucy, overtones.

Regardless, how the hell can the State Education Secretary be so stupid as to 'jokingly' insult a kid that young, in a public setting, whom you don't know? I don't expect a hell of a lot from political appointees, but the sense god gave a retarded farm dog would be nice.

The Promised One said:
lol, figures. Gotta love the liberal double standard there.

"Oh, he said it to a white girl? Nevermind then"
Well, if you're an organization like the NAACP, and then it turns out it has nothing to do with CP as originally reported... it does kinda put the event out of the usual jurisdiction of such a group.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
It's still a shitty thing to say to a kid, white or black. This guy is a doofus, and the so-called black leaders couldn't wait to check their facts before leaping on a possible opportunity to make political hay. God.

That hamburger thing made me laugh out loud, though.

Ripclawe

Banned
In the 1980s, Riordan pulled out his wallet to buy three downtown L.A. apartment buildings. He booted low-income tenants and converted their homes into offices. He also spent part of the decade harvesting tens of millions of dollars in leveraged buyouts. Asked at the time how he could justify such hardball dealings, he said, "Greed."

Then he added, "I'm taking lessons in learning how to wave to the poor people."

www.latimes.com

That is Million dollar man kicking the basketball away from the kid heel behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom