• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

So this came in...

Now I just need the game.

zUTUEA1.jpg

But holy crap the controller is HUGE. Need to get a Xbox - USB converter and try this with some mech games on PC.

BTW is this a good Xbox->USB dongle? ebay auction

kick51

Banned
Is that Dinosaur Hunting game just Dino Crisis 3?

nah, Dino Crisis 3 takes place in space

the game opens with you exploring a ghost ship

then a T-rex jumps out and eats a guy

I don't know but I think I'm in love with that shitty game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Borman

Im sure the Xbox adapter is fine, all it is doing is changing the connector at the end basically.

And Steel Battalion is fun :p I have mine still

And Dinosaur Hunting is more like a Monster Hunter title in a way. Japan only, except for the limited amount of review copies that went out in English :)

Havoc2049

Some nice pick-ups with the XB kiosk and all the Japanese XB games, Borman. Double Steal the Second Clash looks awesome and too bad it wasn't released in the west. You must have an awesome collection.

Do you have any of the limited edition Japanese Xbox's, like the skeleton, Orta or DOA Ultimate versions?

Deband

I remember really wanting Thousand Land after reading about it in Edge. At the time me and my friends were looking for anything different to play on XBL. Shame it never came over here. Can we get some impressions please?

So I actually went and picked up one of these bad boys the other day. My first xbox product; got it for only $40 with a controller, Halo 2, PGR2, NG: Black, and Otogi 2. Loving it so far, though I wish I had a few more controllers so that my floormates and I could play Halo.

Definitely happy with the purchase, though. It's a great system.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I've kept most of my Xbox games over the years but there are a few I either missed out on or got rid of over the years. I've been wanting to pick up Conker so I went to my local used store to see what they had. The had a pretty huge selection and actually had a copy of Conker but wanted like $35 for it. Is that the going rate for this game. Everything else was under $10 lol.

I remember to this day me, my parents and my 2 brothers going to Target and buying an Xbox, Walmart to buy a PS2 and Sam's Club to buy a Gamecube on the same day. We played Fuzion Frenzy til the wee hours of the morning.

Havoc2049

I've kept most of my Xbox games over the years but there are a few I either missed out on or got rid of over the years. I've been wanting to pick up Conker so I went to my local used store to see what they had. The had a pretty huge selection and actually had a copy of Conker but wanted like $35 for it. Is that the going rate for this game. Everything else was under $10 lol.

Ya, there are a few Xbox games in the $30+ range and Conker is one of them. If you are patient on ebay, you might get lucky and find it for a little cheaper.

I just bit the bullet and bought one of the more "expensive" Xbox games that I missed out on back in the day, Stubbs the Zombie. I paid $30 for Stubbs the Zombie, but I got Genma Onimusha and Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance for $5 each, so Xbox collecting is still really cheap compared to other systems.

WP_20140203_001_zps80bec333.jpg

Borman

You can see my footage of the english version here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svi8uPm4cUY

Some nice pick-ups with the XB kiosk and all the Japanese XB games, Borman. Double Steal the Second Clash looks awesome and too bad it wasn't released in the west. You must have an awesome collection.

Do you have any of the limited edition Japanese Xbox's, like the skeleton, Orta or DOA Ultimate versions?

Double Steal is awesome :) I have the Skeleton Xbox and the DOA ultimate, havent found a suitable Orta box yet :)

I remember really wanting Thousand Land after reading about it in Edge. At the time me and my friends were looking for anything different to play on XBL. Shame it never came over here. Can we get some impressions please?

Havent played it yet sadly, was busy picking up the Kiosk on Sunday.

Fox Mulder

yeah, that's around the going rate.

it's a good game but it's still over half of what the n64 version costs.

Borman

Today's pickups were a bunch of prototype builds of Close Combat First to Fight for both the Xbox and the PC, and a Morrowind GotY manual. Was suppose to get a prototype Xbox today, but they tried delivering in the hour or so where no one was home -_-

kick51

Banned
^^^best version of Onimusha 1. pretty damn difficult too, which is nice. fucking green orbs that devil trigger enemies, even on normal.

Is there some sort of new development here? I feel like it's been so long that it just is never coming

nah. I imagine somebody in the future will want to take on the challenge though.

Max

I am not Max
Wasn't there one project that eventually was only able to run Halo albeit in an unplayable state?

kick51

Banned
i seem to remember something called "cxbox" (maybe?) that had a little work done but yeah, nothing playable at all or anything

Shenzakai

Banned
Please GAF, can you give me a list with recommendations for local multiplayer titles on OG Xbox? Want to spend an evening with some colleagues beefing in some OG Xbox titles the old fashioned way :)
Can't manage to find an appropriate list/overview even via web search. Thanks in advance!

Borman

Please GAF, can you give me a list with recommendations for local multiplayer titles on OG Xbox? Want to spend an evening with some colleagues beefing in some OG Xbox titles the old fashioned way :)
Can't manage to find an appropriate list/overview even via web search. Thanks in advance!

What type of games are you looking to play? There are a ton with multiplayer.

Halo 2

All 3 systems that gen were amazing, and I owned them ALL.

I totally agree. I haven't felt the need to buy all 3 consoles since that gen either. That was truly a special console generation. Probably the best gen ever overall, imo. There was so much variety, so much breadth and depth to the offerings across that generation. That era may well be looked back upon as the 'good ol' days' of gaming sooner or later. Maybe now. ;)

In no particular order:

Kung Fu Chaos (Powerstone lite)
Halo 1/2 (Great local multi FPS)
Timesplitters: Future Perfect (best version of the Goldeneye FPS formula, MONKEYS WITH FLAREGUNS)
X-Men Legends 1/2 (Gauntlet Legacy-esque brawlers, don't know if they've aged well though)
Darkwatch (Fun FPS with a fusion Old West/vampire/cyberpunk theme)
PHANTOM DUST (Awesome game, only played single player but supports splitscreen)
Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition Remix (still one of my favorite racing games ever)
Taito Legends (has a few fun multiplayer arcade classics)
Taito Legends 2 (same as above, but it's UK region-free only)
Capcom Classics 1/2 (same as above)
Midway Arcade Classics 1-3 (same as above)
Red Faction II (great multiplayer FPS)
187 Ride or Die (wannabe-gangster kart racing, it's a fucking laugh riot)
Mortal Kombat Armageddon (best version of the best MK of its generation)
Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks (co-op MK beat-em-up)
Stubbs the Zombie (an absolute riot co-op)
Metal Slug 3 (hard as balls, but fun)
Spy vs Spy (hard to explain, look up a video)
Worms 3D/4/Forts (3D take on the Worms formula, quite fun)

By far though, the BEST local multi Xbox games:
Star Wars Battlefront 1/2 (I prefer 1, but they're both amazing)

Havoc2049

Ya, there are a ton of local (couch & LAN) co-op and multi-player games on the Xbox and it totally depends on what type of games you feel like playing. Almost all the racing, vehicle combat and FPS games support local multi-player.

To add to the list that has already started:

Co-Op Action-RPG's:
Gauntlet: Dark Legacy (4-Player)
Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows (4-Player)
Phantasy Star Online Ep. I&II (4-Player)
Dungeons & Dragons Heroes (4-Player)
Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance (2-Player)
Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance II (2-Player)

Vehicle Combat
Blood Wake
MechAssault I&II
Crimson Skies

My favorite co-op game is Bruce Force (3rd person action/adventure shooter). The multiplayer is fairly fun as well. This game was ahead of its time and could have been a hit if Microsoft would have held off on the release until Live was up.

Borman

Prototype Xbox day!
EeaqjZs.jpg

V0mRnXI.jpg

Edit: Internal version of the dashboard allows for wireframe action
G9GktrZ.jpg

"Welcome to Xbox Online"
RAVKLwG.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
How are you getting ahold of all of this stuff? It's like every time I click on this thread, you've gotten some new, cool thing.

Borman

This one was Ebay :p It's just raining Xboxes right now. I actually dont have any consoles on their way right now (well, minus two that will be here eventually, guy is sick).

Soup Bar

This thread makes me wish I would have gotten my OG Xbox fixed a while ago. I have the dreaded Thompson drive, and I have trouble reading games. I wouldn't mind playing Burnout 3 again.

kick51

Banned
This one was Ebay :p It's just raining Xboxes right now. I actually dont have any consoles on their way right now (well, minus two that will be here eventually, guy is sick).

yeah, they're kinda all around here too, I've noticed.

Good time to learn how to solder! Got a place holding a back up one for me that I'm getting tomorrow.

I wanna get a copy of Dinosaur Hunting...you think I should grab one for about $35 or is that too much?

Just grabbed Halo CE, Apex, Flatout, TOCA 2, Serious Sam, Capcom Fighting Evolution, Guilty Gear X2:Reload and Beyond Good & Evil for $40. Not bad...

Borman

yeah, they're kinda all around here too, I've noticed.

Good time to learn how to solder! Got a place holding a back up one for me that I'm getting tomorrow.

I wanna get a copy of Dinosaur Hunting...you think I should grab one for about $35 or is that too much?

I enjoy it. It's a bit janky at times, but its an interesting concept considering its age.

Shenzakai

Banned
Thanks for all the tips GAF! :)

I'm mainly looking for local 4-player couch gaming. Your tips are awesome! What I'm mainly looking for beside of FPS/Racing would be titles like Bomberman or Tetris which gives a good oppurtunity for battling sitting on the couch :)

I want to add a few more racing games to my Xbox collection, and currently looking at Auto Modellista. Is there a reason to the game being more rare/expensive than the PS2 version? Anything exclusive/better?

P.S.: I am re-organizing my retro collection and should start soon to post some pictures.

Borman

A better idea of the collection (still not everything of course, but closer hah)

Games:
bB2uepz.jpg

Prototypes at the top, orange Xbox is my painted modded one that Ive had since 2002, smoke Xbox, Kasumi blue, one standard black is a refurb unit, one is a Japanese unit, and another is the prototype "Live Enabled" one.
NVik52n.jpg

4 standard debugs (one without the text), two DVT3s, two DVT4s, a black debug, the prototype debug from last page, plus the alpha kit just sneaking in on the bottom of the picture. Can also see a certain 360, Gamecube, and PS2 dev units that were below the previous picture.
DB0BIVL.jpg

metzger203

i think that's the 360 version, but yes, awesome game. wish they'd take more chances like that.

Yeah that's the "Street Brawl" XBLA game, which was okay, but pales in comparison to The Warriors on the original Xbox. Such an awesome and under-appreciated game... I love how you got to play through the events of the movie as well as the numerous "flashback" missions which showed how the gang originally came together months before the meeting with Cyrus. They did a great job of expanding the Warriors universe and making everything feel natural, like it was always part of the story. The arcadey rumble mode is fantastic as well... I believe you can unlock 300+ gang members from many different outfits and build your own custom gangs out of them. There were a few different and unique modes but my favorite was called "armying", basically a 9v9 deathmatch. Such a shame the game was never made backwards-compatible on the 360.

Thanati

A better idea of the collection (still not everything of course, but closer hah)

Games:
bB2uepz.jpg

Prototypes at the top, orange Xbox is my painted modded one that Ive had since 2002, smoke Xbox, Kasumi blue, one standard black is a refurb unit, one is a Japanese unit, and another is the prototype "Live Enabled" one.
NVik52n.jpg

4 standard debugs (one without the text), two DVT3s, two DVT4s, a black debug, the prototype debug from last page, plus the alpha kit just sneaking in on the bottom of the picture. Can also see a certain 360, Gamecube, and PS2 dev units that were below the previous picture.
DB0BIVL.jpg

Holy crap!

Havoc2049

Yo, dude. Let's hang out sometime. I'll bring the beer.

Don't do it, Borman! He'll just try to get you drunk and take advantage of you! You'll wake-up in a tub full of ice with one of your kidney's gone and your entire Xbox collection cleaned out!

;-p

Nice collection, Borman. Love the DOAU Xbox.

Timu

Games:
bB2uepz.jpg

NVik52n.jpg

DB0BIVL.jpg
That's just pure awesome, astonishing collection you have there.

Top Bottom