• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

Soup Bar

I ended up returning that copy of Double Agent, and bought another one and it works great thank god.

Too bad Burnout 3 doesn't support system link.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Forgot to mention, I only own the OG XBOX for a year and bought it off M&M Games (now Playnation Games, still in Croydon) for £15.
And it was both hard and soft modded. One of the best purchases ever!
Shame the controller that came with it was broken, but found one a few hours earlier for £1.50 in a charity shop.

IGN did a comparison.

burnout-3-takedown-head-to-head-20040908044129912-000.jpg

http://www.ign.com/articles/2004/09/09/burnout-3-takedown-head-to-head

I wonder if this is where the "needs more sparks" meme originated on this forum in the mid-aughts, haha.
Yeah, clear difference there! It does look like the XBox version has more details than the PS2.
I think I've seen the sparks "meme" somewhere else, I best Black had something to do with it as well. Interesting that it's Criterion! xD

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Forgot to mention, I only own the OG XBOX for a year and bought it off M&M Games (now Playnation Games, still in Croydon) for £15.
And it was both hard and soft modded. One of the best purchases ever!
Shame the controller that came with it was broken, but found one a few hours earlier for £1.50 in a charity shop.

Yeah, clear difference there! It does look like the XBox version has more details than the PS2.
I think I've seen the sparks "meme" somewhere else, I best Black had something to do with it as well. Interesting that it's Criterion! xD
This was true with Burnout 3 and Revenge. The post processing pass they used on PS2 was very different from Xbox. On PS2 motion blur was much more pronounced and bright lights (sunlight, sparks, etc) appeared brighter and more voluminous.

Big box greeted me today including: Hitman 2, Hitman Blood money, Metal Gear Solid 2 Subsistence, Syberia, Rouge Agent, Brothers in Arms Road to Hill 30, and Splinter Cell, Pandoras Tomorrow, Chaos Theory (drool) and Double Agent

oh and my factory sealed black label Kotor showed up :)

Borman

Hey guys, I have a few Japanese Xbox titles still for sale if anyone is interested.

Muzzle Flash (JPN Exclusive)
Dead or Alive 3
Double S.T.E.A.L.
and I think I have a copy of Nezmix, will double check

Id be looking for 55 shipped for the lot. Going to post in the BST thread later, figured Id give a heads up.

Think I also have a copy of DOA3, again Japanese, Id let for for 16$ shipped.

Edit: Picture
8X8QbY6.jpg

Heck, Id throw in DOA3 with the other bunch (so 2x copies) for 65$ total in the US.

Timu

I just ordered 9 more Xbox exclusives on Amazon, lol. Once they all come I'll have a list, pics, direct feeds, etc.

Hey guys, I have a few Japanese Xbox titles still for sale if anyone is interested.

Muzzle Flash (JPN Exclusive)
Dead or Alive 3
Double S.T.E.A.L.
and I think I have a copy of Nezmix, will double check

Id be looking for 55 shipped for the lot. Going to post in the BST thread later, figured Id give a heads up.

Think I also have a copy of DOA3, again Japanese, Id let for for 16$ shipped.

Edit: Picture
8X8QbY6.jpg

Heck, Id throw in DOA3 with the other bunch (so 2x copies) for 65$ total in the US.

You take the best pictures :) What kind of camera are you using?

ss_lemonade

If anything, the oXbox's GPU I/O performance feels like one of its biggest disadvantages. Entering slideshow mode when a cheap alpha layer fills half the screen is one of the pillars of the oXbox experience.
Is this the reason why you can drop Halo into single digit framerates by shooting a dead Elite multiple times?

That particular one is the Nokia 1020, so a phone :) Most of my other pictures I use the old Canon 5d, does the job just fine. The key is lots of light

lol my peasant eyes couldn't tell the difference initially but yes your lighting is perfect, makes the Xbox and paraphernalia shine :)

Borman

Working on collecting money for a release of two small Acclaim tech demos for people to play if anyone is interested. Just looking for another 45$ total.

RaceX
racex.png

Manic Driver:
snap007.jpg

Karak

Could you let me know how it is? I'm wondering if I should get this, or just go straight to Amped 2.

Amped 1 is fantastic. I have them all and Amped 2 is better but 1 has a enough that if you can't find 2 it would be a great start.

I didn't know collecting Xbox One games had a thread here. My collection is done. I own them all. A store nearby went out of business and I picked all the remaining games up. US games only.

Such a great system. One day I WILL Be able to play these on PC though damnit.

HTupolev

Is this the reason why you can drop Halo into single digit framerates by shooting a dead Elite multiple times?
Yes.

Halo is a game that usually maintains 30fps, but it prioritizes rich and consistent dynamic effects over consistent performance.

I've always wondered what its performance characteristics are like as a whole; hard to tell, since it's capped at 30.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
It's a calendar hah.

The other thing isn't a developer thing, more of an anniversary item from what I can tell.

I work as a Japanese-English translator. If you feel like taking more photos sometime of what's inside, I'd be happy to give you specifics of what's up with that True Fantasy Live Online memento. It wouldn't have to be a whole lot; I could probably get a general feel from a couple of pages or the back of the case or whatever. I've always just found that game to be curious myself and wouldn't mine learning a bit more about it. :)

Borman

I work as a Japanese-English translator. If you feel like taking more photos sometime of what's inside, I'd be happy to give you specifics of what's up with that True Fantasy Live Online memento. It wouldn't have to be a whole lot; I could probably get a general feel from a couple of pages or the back of the case or whatever. I've always just found that game to be curious myself and wouldn't mine learning a bit more about it. :)

The true fantasy thing is just a calendar, nothing special. I was hoping that the disks had some artwork, but they are literally plastic disks with art printed on them, no data at all hah.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
The true fantasy thing is just a calendar, nothing special. I was hoping that the disks had some artwork, but they are literally plastic disks with art printed on them, no data at all hah.

Ooooh, okay, I misread your post earlier then. Alas. Wondrously anticlimactic even by Japanese promo goods standards, though, ahaha.

dark10x

Grabbed a few more Xbox goodies recently. Really enjoying filling out the collection. It's the one system I just never really paid attention to in a collecting sense but I suddenly have the urge. Prices are just insanely low and there is some really neat stuff worth picking up.

Right now I'm running my Xbox through an XRGB Mini and doing the x2 nearest neighbor scale delivering perfectly even pixels. It's very sharp and crisp in 480p. My one complaint about Xbox in general is the use of mipmapping. While I understand the reasoning behind this it ultimately ruins the image quality by blurring all distant textures.

PS2 and Sega Model 3 games rarely used mipmapping which ultimately resulted in a lot of shimmering on distant textures but, on the flip side, gave the impression of sharper texture detail. Playing these systems in retrospect I definitely say I prefer older 3D games without mipmapping.

HTupolev

My one complaint about Xbox in general is the use of mipmapping. While I understand the reasoning behind this it ultimately ruins the image quality by blurring all distant textures.

PS2 and Sega Model 3 games rarely used mipmapping which ultimately resulted in a lot of shimmering on distant textures but, on the flip side, gave the impression of sharper texture detail. Playing these systems in retrospect I definitely say I prefer older 3D games without mipmapping.
Some PS2 games use mipmapping, it's just that the console's texture-filtering hardware doesn't account for anisotropy, which means that surfaces at oblique angles undersample their textures. The other issue is that the PS2 had an oddly high cost for trilinear filtering, so bilinear was typically the most sophisticated technique that ever really got used.

Also, trilinear filtering doesn't really "blur" textures at distance, it just doesn't let them alias (assuming a LOD bias of 0). Viewed head-on, a correctly-mipmapped texture should look like a decent approximation to how it would look if the image were beautifully supersampled.
Oblique angles are another matter. Since trilinear chooses the MIP level based on the shortest axis to avoid undersampling, surfaces at oblique angles experience blur according to the degree of obliqueness.

I can understand the desire for just dropping texture filtering, and I certainly prefer my Marathon using the original software rasterizer. But I dunno, Xbox games often feel like their aesthetics are dependent on their decent visual stability. I'd have to see "unfiltered" versions to be sure, but I'd be surprised if I wound up preferring them.

dark10x

Oh, I realize all that and recognize the benefits but many surfaces in 3D games are viewed from oblique angles during gameplay which gives the impression of a loss in detail. I prefer aliasing and shimmering in comparison though naturally proper anisotropic filtering would provide the best results.

Right now I'm running my Xbox through an XRGB Mini and doing the x2 nearest neighbor scale delivering perfectly even pixels. It's very sharp and crisp in 480p.

Why do you do this? XBOX already has Composite output at 480p that should be just as sharp, doesn't it?

dark10x

Why do you do this? XBOX already has Composite output at 480p that should be just as sharp, doesn't it?
What? I am using component output (not composite, which is much lower quality).

The xrgb allows me to eliminate scaling artifacts. 480p scaled by a modern tv is quite ugly. The xrgb allows a perfect 1:1 pixel scale without any blurring or distortion. It's as close as you can get to matching a frame-buffer grab.

dark10x

Here's exactly what I see on my TV. It appears pixelated but each pixel is properly doubled allowing for a clean, distortion free display. From a normal viewing distance the image appears very crisp and clean.

woK.png

Ah ok you upscale the 480p to 1080p with the XRGB, ok, I get it now.

I'm usually OK with 480p content upscaled to 1080p by the TV.. IME it really gets fucked up when you feed in 480i or worse.

dark10x

Ah ok you upscale the 480p to 1080p with the XRGB, ok, I get it now.

I'm usually OK with 480p content upscaled to 1080p by the TV.. IME it really gets fucked up when you feed in 480i or worse.
Yeah, that's what I'm doing.

I really dislike 480p content as it appears without a good scaler. It really blurs the edges and produces a very messy image. Most TVs don't do a good enough job on their own.

stn

Awesome thread. Haven't used my XBox in a while but its a fantastic console. It was worth it just for Morrowind, Ninja Gaiden Black, KOTOR, and Shenmue 2.

Also, a title that flew under the radar is Breakdown. Awesome FPS, so unique. Really has a "Japanese" feel to it.

Thanks you guys! I got a pretty good deal on it so I'm not complaining too much.

Does anyone know if there are still any people playing SB: Line of Contact online? I know the official servers got taken down back in '05, but I saw where some people were playing through Xlink Kai. Of course, that website hadn't been updated since '10.

Timu

Well, here it is, my Xbox exclusive collection, both in name and use of my direct feed screens taken with Avermedia Broadcater HD using component cables:

List:
-Brute Force
-Forza 1
-Conker Live and Reloaded
-Dead or Alive 3
-Dead or Alive Ultimate
-Buffy the Vampire Slayer
-Breakdown
-MechAssault
-MechAssault 2
-Otogi
-Otogi 2
-Project Gotham Racing
-Project Gotham Racing 2
-Phantom Dust
-Ninja Gaiden
-Crimson Sea
-Voodoo Vince
-Hunter: The Reckoning: Redeemer
-Blood Wake
-Galleon
-Railsport Challenge 2
-Panzer Dragoon Orta
-Blinx
-Blinx 2
-Outun 2
-Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes
-Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders
-Jet Set Radio Future
-Sega GT 2002
-Gun Valkyrie
-Shenmue II
-Amped 2
-Midtown Madness 3
-Ghost Recon 2 Summit Strike
-Unreal Champ 1
-Unreal Champ 2
-Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball

On Xbox Originals for 360:
-Raze's Hell
-Grabbed by the Ghoulies
-Amped 1
-Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge

Direct feed screens:

Timu

Sick screenshots. Xbox was beast tier for Gen6 consoles. And Gaiden is still a stunner today IMO, especially in motion.
Yeah I remember playing Ninja Gaiden when it was 1st out and it blew me away, and today it still holds up funny enough.

You need to work out your widescreen settings though, some seem a bit squished.
True, though for some reason there wasn't a difference between normal and widescreen in certain games.

SegaShack

Man really wish I owned Conker Live. Now that and Bad Fur Day sell for a lot of money. How is Ghoulies? I love Rare but heard bad things about that game.

Top Bottom