• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

I do have a modded Xbox with a 500 gig hard drive but how do I go about applying those hex codes exactly? Would love to do it for quite a few of those games.

Borman

UH1ZxDJ.jpg

These were sent to Xbox Live testers

Xbox version of Double Agent is an entirely different game. It's not as good as Chaos Theory but plays the same whereas I found the 360 version to be pretty poor with too many day time missions and dodgy double agent missions.

Yeah, that's what I meant by DOAU. DOA1U is more or less a high res version of the arcade original and DOA2 got a full graphical overhaul. DOA2U is one of the most graphically impressive games on Xbox imo.

Thought so, great, I'll take your word and put it on the list, thanks!

I'm curious do you personally play with the S controller or some other solution as I'd surmise the Xbox dpad (which I'm not sure if its the way to go in the fighting genre really but would suspect it to be easier to use in 2d plane based games) wouldn't necessarily be up to snuff, is there maybe a fight stick I should think about looking into after greasing my palms in fighting a bit?

Timu

I keep buying multiplats along with the exclusives, I need to focus on exclusives more, thankfully there's around 20 some more exclusives I want to complete the collection and then get whatever multiplat I want.

Though I like seeing 60FPS in Dark Watch, Agent Under Fire, Metal Arms, Red Dead Revolver, etc.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So I have a binder full of Xbox games (in addition to my collection of boxed games) that I picked up in a 25 cent bin a while ago. It's a mix of quality but there's some real garbage in there (which I find fun to go back to from time to time).

I tried to play The Matrix Path of Neo today and was shocked at how awful it plays on Xbox. Looking at PS2 footage, the frame-rate on Xbox seems dramatically slower (as in it dips from 30 fps to like 15 fps constantly in a back and forth manner based on what's happening). It's already a janky game and the performance makes things even worse. Heck, the PS2 version even supports 16:9 while the Xbox version is limited to 4:3. What's up with that?

I've also grabbed lots of Xbox ports of PC games just for fun. Stuff like Half-Life 2 is really fascinating to play on Xbox in terms of seeing how the ports were executed. Impressive stuff, really.

Timu

So I just need to buy exclusives for the remainder of this month, May, and June and then I could post my collection. Wouldn't be surprised if I have over 60 games by then, lol.

I decided, recently, to buy an XBox after getting rid of mine when 360 came out. After three attempts, I finally found a good working one, but I have some dumb questions regarding 480p/720p/1080i that I hope someone can answer!

I know holding the triggers and clicking the two analog sticks switches between 480p and 480i, but they both look like crap, so I never know which one I'm in. One looks sharper, but the colors suck. The other one looks softer, but the colors are better. Chances are, I just have a shitty component cable (bought a used 3rd party one).

So... my question is this: I have all three resolutions (480p, 720p, 1080i) selected on the dashboard and 16:9 enabled. If I start a game that supports, say 720p, will it automatically switch to that resolution once I start the game? I ask because it doesn't seem to matter what I have selected on the dashboard... the game always looks the same once I start it. I've tried on 'Still Life' and 'Cold Fear'. I've also tried on 'Gunvalkyrie', 'Panzer Dragoon Orta' and 'Jet Set Radio Future'... but I think I got one of the consoles that won't play any of these game in 480p.

Splinter_Cell_Double_Agent-DVD-Xbox.jpg

The above version of Splinter Cell Double Agent was vastly superior to the 360/PS3 version.

still need to play this! I've only finished the 360 version. if I remember correctly, this was developed by the Montreal team that made the first game & Chaos Theory. The 360 version was developed by the Shanghai team (who developed Pandora Tomorrow)

might be wrong, going off my unreliable memory

Oemenia

Banned
still need to play this! I've only finished the 360 version. if I remember correctly, this was developed by the Montreal team that made the first game & Chaos Theory. The 360 version was developed by the Shanghai team (who developed Pandora Tomorrow)

Youre right but I dont think the SC team themselves from the Montreal side did it (it's a massive studio).

With that said though its excellent, that's saying something since I actually dont like Chaos Theory.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Yeah, it's a completely different game, but I dunno where this nonsense about it being particularly good came from. It's okay. Some levels are solid, and reminded me of when Splinter Cell was good. But a lot of the levels are really generic, boring locales. I seem to recall spending an inordinate amount of time in some warehouse that I think showed up in two different levels. And the final boss was stupid. But it wasn't bad! A kind of decent diversion.

Honestly, I got the impression that the developers met at the beginning of development and said "okay, guys, Ubi's given us $14 and 3 months to make this game... so let's just do something. It doesn't even have to be good. The 360 game is a POS anyway."

tl;dr: Game's okay.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is there an easy way to get around region locks?

I have an NTSC system but live in Europe. Found a whole lot of Xbox games that I wouldn't mind adding to the collection all for very little money. They're all PAL versions, however.

I suppose the console itself is also pretty cheap so I might grab another but I'd rather stick with one system as they are quite large.

Tain

Yeah, softmod is probably your only real option there. But it's convenient either way. I like playing stuff from HD.

Rich!

Is there an easy way to get around region locks?

I have an NTSC system but live in Europe. Found a whole lot of Xbox games that I wouldn't mind adding to the collection all for very little money. They're all PAL versions, however.

I suppose the console itself is also pretty cheap so I might grab another but I'd rather stick with one system as they are quite large.

Homebrew. Hack your console with the splinter cell softmod.

On the note of softmods, I'd read about the several methods to softmod and knew it was easy, but hadn't actually gotten around to modding my Xbox since I certainly don't need it for emulation (that's what actual old consoles are for), and I've never really looked into what else it could be for (no way could it handle modern media streaming either, HD video? yeah right, I'd think). But I'm interested in getting some import games, so I need a softmod since I don't want to buy a second console unless there's no other good choice (as with the PS2, where it's that, a mod chip I could never install myself, or the irritation of a slide-card and disc swapping every time).

So, the first major method is the hot-swap-the-HDD-into-a-PC method, which sounds like it would work but... hot-swapping IDE cables? I don't want to do that unless I have no other choice. Second there's the one where you get files onto your Xbox, usually through buying a cable to connect Xbox stuff to a PC, or maybe through manipulating a flash drive. That seemed easy, but I don't want to have to buy a cable if I don't have to (and buying memory cards with the files on them already is ludicrously overpriced). So the IDE-swap method sounded like the only choice...

But first, I decided to try and see if my Gamemon coverter, a GC/PS2/Xbox-to-PC converter I got for a few bucks used at a local store a while back (but apparently were sold in stores in the US for a while, so they're not too hard to find), would actually work with Xbox memory units, since I have one. I didn't expect this to work, since the thing has no options and ... questionable ... button layouts that you can't change [on the Xbox controller, for example, A is button 1, X is button 2, Y is button 3, and B is button 4. No other settings are possible. Annoying!]. But I plugged in my Xbox memory unit to the controller, and... the system detected something! It wasn't sure what, though; no drivers for it. But it actually could tell that SOMETHING was plugged in. Well, that was interesting.

Now, I looked at one of the guides I'd found, one for the memory card file-based softmod method about modding a USB memory stick to fool the PC Xbox Action Replay software into thinking it's an Xbox memory unit, and transferring the files that way. Link: http://www.mrdictionary.net/_xbox/guide_php.php I essentially followed this guide to get the Action Replay to recognize my Xbox Memory Unit plugged into my Xbox (superior larger original style) controller plugged into my Gamemon. The guide tells you to use this USB software to view two necessary IDs on the USB stick; instead I got those two numbers off of the unrecognized Memory Unit. The first one was the same as the default (for Xbox Memory Units attached to Action Replay's own memory unit-to-PC cable), but the other ID was different, which is why the default AR drivers couldn't recognize the memory unit in the Gamemon-attached controller. With that driver modified as in the guide, though, the system recognizes the Memory Unit, and it cost me nothing since I had the Gamemon already! Pretty awesome.

The Action Replay softeware DOES seem fairly flaky -- I couldn't format the card (which did have files on it) through the AR software because that failed, and had to plug and unplug the card frequently to see if file transfers I was making actually stuck (not all did). The last issue was that after one failed attempt to put the large (~5.6MB) homebrew-installer zip file on the card it wouldn't let me copy it again. I solved that problem by plugging the card back into my actual Xbox, and deleting the problematic file there (no issue there). Then I copied the file again, and this time it copied correctly, they copied over to the Xbox fine, and with my copy of MechAssault I can softmod it with no trouble or added costs. Pretty nice, I think. :)

Of course attaching the thing to my computer via a LAN to install more homebrew stuff would be an additional step, but hopefully just this basic one will get me able to run import games. I might do the network thing another time, but being able to play other-region discs is what I really want.

Possum

Hey, guys! I've just started building up an OG Xbox collection. I never had an Xbox growing up (I was more of a PS2 guy, but I had a GC, too).

Anyway, I obviously started off with a console. It was opened but brand new, and I got it for $37 with three controllers (two are black, one is Halo green), the DVD media set, Star Wars: The Clone Wars/Tetris Worlds Online Edition, and Hitman 2: Silent Assassin! In addition to all of this, I've also bought:

• Blinx: The Time Sweeper
  • The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
  • Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
  • Fable
  • Fable Limited Edition Bonus DVD (seemed like a nice collectors' item)
  • Grabbed by the Ghoulies
  • Halo: Combat Evolved
  • MechAssault
  • MechAssault 2 Limited Collector's Edition
  • Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
  • Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  • Project Gotham Racing
  • RalliSport Challenge
  • Unreal Championship

I actually have a whole list with something like 75 games that I want, but this is my collection so far. Just thought I'd say hi!

Yuterald

I had a ridiculous Xbox collection, but I actually JUST sold most of it on eBay a week or two ago. I only kept exclusives as I was always meaning to convert a lot of my multi-plat stuff to my PS2 collection (as I much prefer playing games on my PS2 despite some stuff performing worse when compared to its Xbox counterpart). I just ordered an Xbox from eBay and I'm going to have a buddy mod it for me so I can play Metal Wolf Chaos (finally!).

Soup Bar

Man I just got Double Agent new and it won't get passed the Xbox logo screen. It doesn't even give me a dirty disc read error. Every other game I have works fine, and the game boots on 360. Just my luck...

Borman

Do you have a way of dumping the game onto your harddrive? That would verify that it is a disk problem, in which case you can return it.

Wounded

So I'm thinking I'll go ahead and get an original XBox to Softmod now.

Can anyone tell me if this is the complete list of what I need?

Original Splinter Cell
Action Replay Software

A usb to xbox converter, specifically this one:
$(KGrHqF,!jcFJjbr,T!sBSZ7et)9Lw~~60_12.JPG

Is that correct?

Dai101

Banned
So I'm thinking I'll go ahead and get an original XBox to Softmod now.

Can anyone tell me if this is the complete list of what I need?

Original Splinter Cell
Action Replay Software

A usb to xbox converter, specifically this one:
$(KGrHqF,!jcFJjbr,T!sBSZ7et)9Lw~~60_12.JPG

Is that correct?

Um, yes, in fact this any of this games could work:

1. James Bond 007: Agent under Fire
2. Mech Assault (needs to be disc with serial number MS02301L, only first print)
3. Splinter Cell --Stealth Action Redefined (i've also heard the one in the collection works too

I've never tried or know how or for what the AR is used. I always used a modified savestate with my SC game.

Soup Bar

Do you have a way of dumping the game onto your harddrive? That would verify that it is a disk problem, in which case you can return it.

I would have to mod my Xbox for that to work right? Unless there's a way to rip games directly to PC these days.

Borman

I would have to mod my Xbox for that to work right? Unless there's a way to rip games directly to PC these days.

Yeah you would.

So my friend and I are finally getting the ball rolling to get some multiplayer going on XLink Kai. I recommend everyone set it up if you want to participate. The first game may be Midtown Madness 3, which should be pretty fun!

I managed to get a mint condition crystal xbox for £20 with its original box and controller etc. All is working great but got a demo with it so need to source games.

Been so long since I had one looking forward to Munches oddessy.
Apart from Halo series, PGR, Forza and fable are there any gems I may have missed previously? Only had these games and GTA games.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

YES!!

DA for Xbox does play on the 360.

Its a great game if you missed it and want a game similar to CT.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Why is SC: DA better on the XB than the 360/PS3?

Love Splinter Cell.

It's a better game because it's much more in the mold of Chaos Theory.

You might be tempted to think it's a lower rez version of the 360/PS3 version, but it's not.

Basically if you were take the stories of the 360 and Xbox version and make them into a bulletpoint outline that is more or less where the similarities would end.

Other than that both games have different levels and different characters.

The part of the game that takes place it in the Sea of Othotsk may be my favorite level in the entire series of Splinter Cell.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
given the strengths of the system and MS' apparent partnership with SEGA it's a damn shame that VF4Evo never made it over to the Xbox. the PS2 release is still the most complete fighting game ever imo, but it's marred by the platform's limitations. could an Xbox release have been arcade perfect?

Top Bottom