• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

Possum

Just ordered Armed and Dangerous and XIII from eBay for $4 and $5, respectively. I also picked up The Hobbit at a local store for $5. I'm thinking I'll get Beyond Good & Evil next. 8)

slapnuts

Was such a bad ass gaming machine. Man..i still go in awe at playing PD Orta on it...that game blew my mind how beautiful it was.

Then oh ...Rallisport Challenge 2 was such a sexy rally game.

NFL2k5 was another game that rocked hard on it..better than the PS2 version visually as well.

So many good things about that console that still makes it one of my all time favorite consoles.

-Stranger-

Great thread

Working on building up a OG Xbox collection, so far I have Burnout 2 & Jade Empire LE.
Going to compile a list of games to buy soon.
I got on for my bday in 2003 with Halo, good times.
XBL was my first exposure to online gaming, playing Halo 2 & Far Cry Instincts was awesome.
I sold that console and all my games when the 360 came out :(
My brother gave me his old modded Xbox though which has XBMC running on it.
I haven't turned it on in a couple years and from memory the disc drive was tempremental.
How hard is it to install my games onto the HDD?
Also what are the best options for HD display?
Thanks

Great thread

Working on building up a OG Xbox collection, so far I have Burnout 2 & Jade Empire LE.
Going to compile a list of games to buy soon.
I got on for my bday in 2003 with Halo, good times.
XBL was my first exposure to online gaming, playing Halo 2 & Far Cry Instincts was awesome.
I sold that console and all my games when the 360 came out :(
My brother gave me his old modded Xbox though which has XBMC running on it.
I haven't turned it on in a couple years and from memory the disc drive was tempremental.
How hard is it to install my games onto the HDD?
Also what are the best options for HD display?

Thanks

- download dvd2xbox and FTP it to your Xbox. All you do is insert the disc when the program is open and it'll rip the disc to your HDD.

- get a component cable and set your default settings to 720p, although only homebrew/emulators really take advantage of it. most games run at 480p at best. also, some games will stretch automatically so have the screen ratio button on your tv remote handy.

Rent a Hero No 1
Magatama
Innocent Tears
Double Steal the Second Clash
Thousand Land
Angelic Concert
Braveknight
J-phoenix
Ex Chaser
Dinosaur Hunting
Exaskeleton

Was around 200$ all told. Some of it would have been cheaper to buy on Amazon US, but I didnt trust the shipping for it.

Play the leaked English version

I got some import Xbox games recently, and was playing Exaskeleton...

And uh, is it just me, or is this game impossible? I mean, I know I'm bad at third-person shooters, but I just lost the first battle (after the tutorial mission which has an enemy which doesn't fight back) probably several dozen times. It didn't matter what I did, I lost every time. Yeah, that's not fun... am I missing something, or is it just really, really hard, so hard I can't get anywhere in it at all? Awful!

On the other hand, Shikigami no Shiro Evolution Aka is pretty cool -- it's got infinite continues! Finally, I managed to beat a Castle of Shikigami game; I have the US versions f Mobile Light Force 2 (PS2) and Castle of Shikigami III (Wii), but both have limited continues and I'm too awful at bullethell to finish with that limit. But this one doesn't have that, so I got through it. Nice. :) Graphics look a bit better than on PS2, too. It's just too bad that this game doesn't have voice acting like its sequels both do. Ah well. It's pretty good.

The other one I tried is Magi Death Fight. It's a topdown action game, basically like a Bomberman-inspired multiplayer-focused action game with a comedic tone, despite the title. You pick up magic spheres and throw them; they explode at a distance in front of you, so you need to use a bit of strategy. The multiplayer, or versus modes against the computer, are definitely fun. Unfortunately, the main story mode is ... weird. So, through the first part of it at least, you have to do many very boring levels where you have to kill these robots which rarely move and even more rarely attack. It gets dull, fast, and seems to be challenge-free. Maybe once every ten levels or so you get to fight a boss, and these are fun and challenging. This mode also has a two player co-op option, but seriously... what the heck? I hope that later on the enemies actually fight back some, but even then, this is badly designed. It's too bad, because the versus modes are fun.

I haven't played the other import games I got yet, but I also got Tenerezza, Thousand Land, Magatama, and some sengoku mahjong game.

Possum

Just got XIII in the mail today. Can't wait to play this one! And I just ordered Beyond Good & Evil for $6. Seems like Ubisoft was on fire this generation.

So what I was missing in ExaSkeleton is the lockon button, B. I went through the tutorial again and noticed them mentioning the B button this time. That makes it playable. :)

Hah I actually haven't even gotten to playing all those games I imported.
ExaSkeleton uses every single stick and button on the controller... and I missed that one at first. Ah well.

As for the game, it's part visual novel -- there are long, fully-voiced VN-style cutscenes between missions -- and part third-person (robot-suit) shooter.

And as for Japanese games, I passed on getting any straight visual novels... but I see you got some. Do you know Japanese, or are they just to have because they're Xbox games?

ffman

Unconfirmed Member
I went to a local pawn shop today and found a special edition Halo Xbox. I had been looking for an OG Xbox so decided to purchase it.

After powering it on I was surprised to see the dashboard fade to a menu screen. I have never owned a modded console before so needless to say I was a little shocked. This Xbox came with 10-15 Xbox games on the HDD along with 3 emulators. The disc drive was stuck but I was able to get it open.

big find today:

XIII
Toe Jam and Earl 3
Indiana Jones
From Russia with Love
Voodoo Vince
TimeSplitters 2

all complete but used at a local flea market for 20 bucks. wooo!

LordOfChaos

64 MB DDR SDRAM at 200 MHz; in dual-channel 128-bit configuration giving 6400 MB/s

Damn man, just realized this old green-black box from 2001 has as much memory bandwidth as my modern-ish laptop, with DDR2-800 (PC2-6400) for 6400MB/s. The Wii U only has double that.

Possum

big find today:

XIII
Toe Jam and Earl 3
Indiana Jones
From Russia with Love
Voodoo Vince
TimeSplitters 2

all complete but used at a local flea market for 20 bucks. wooo!

Damn, man. I'm seriously jealous right now.

On the bright side, I just won an auction for DOA3. I paid $0.01 for it.

koopas

I went to a local pawn shop today and found a special edition Halo Xbox. I had been looking for an OG Xbox so decided to purchase it.

After powering it on I was surprised to see the dashboard fade to a menu screen. I have never owned a modded console before so needless to say I was a little shocked. This Xbox came with 10-15 Xbox games on the HDD along with 3 emulators. The disc drive was stuck but I was able to get it open.
I actually have a harder time coming across unmodded xboxen.

Last weekend I found Shenmue 2 at a flea market for $5.00. The best part? Brand new mint condition. Not the find of the decade or anything but colour me happy :)

HTupolev

Damn man, just realized this old green-black box from 2001 has as much memory bandwidth as my modern-ish laptop, with DDR2-800 (PC2-6400) for 6400MB/s. The Wii U only has double that.
Don't get too excited. For the sole major pool of memory shared between both CPU and GPU, 6.4GB/s wasn't really that amazing, especially with a graphics chip as beastly as an NV2A. By comparison, the GeForce 3 series of GPUs all had dedicated GPU BW 6.4GB/s or higher.

The GameCube had a memory scheme that did a pretty good job of isolating things in a way which both achieved good utilization and avoided BW bottlenecks, and the theoretical peak bandwidths of the video memory on the PS2 were cartoonishly high (if we play the silly bandwidth-summing game, the PS2 can yield numbers in the ballpark of 50GB/s).

If anything, the oXbox's GPU I/O performance feels like one of its biggest disadvantages. Entering slideshow mode when a cheap alpha layer fills half the screen is one of the pillars of the oXbox experience.

Wounded

Mine came today! With it came:

TimeSplitters 2
Crimson Skies
Splinter Cell
Project Gotham
Fifa 2003
Dredd vs Death
Forza 1
Doom 3

Quick question, are either PGR or Forza worth playing in comparison to newer racers? I actually have Forza 5.

Mine came today! With it came:

TimeSplitters 2
Crimson Skies
Splinter Cell
Project Gotham
Fifa 2003
Dredd vs Death
Forza 1
Doom 3

Quick question, are either PGR or Forza worth playing in comparison to newer racers? I actually have Forza 5.

I didn't rate PGR at the time but if you're in the market for another racer Burnout 3 was fun as hell (preferred 2 but I don't think it was on the OG Xbox).

Do all Xbox games support 16x9 or should i pick up a 4x3 crt set for it ?

A few do natively, you can force the rest if you mod the box- however, alot look wierd when forced- I currently have my Xbox hooked to a Samsung 50' LED and play games at thier native resolutions- I dont mind if the games appear in a square in the center of my set- some still look amazing to this day-

cs060mk2

Here is a piece I wrote about the XBOX, my XBOX review. I think it is a weird console sort of. Seems like interest is really low for it but it had some awesome games. I think they should have released an XBOX mini before going to the 360.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Do all Xbox games support 16x9 or should i pick up a 4x3 crt set for it ?

Even among the games that actually support 16:9, a lot of times, the picture is just stretched out (particularly in menus) or the aspect ratio feels kinda off for one reason or another. I just run all my Xbox games in 4:3.

So, my store got a copy of Steel Battalion in with the controller that we sell for $160. It doesn't have the box or anything, but I'm seriously considering it after playing around with the game. So many buttons!

So, my store got a copy of Steel Battalion in with the controller that we sell for $160. It doesn't have the box or anything, but I'm seriously considering it after playing around with the game. So many buttons!
the game is so fun and will ruin any future arcade experience you will ever have
if of course you can find any arcades

-snagged a few more games today at my local mom n pop store:

-The Hobbit
-Burnout 3
-Star Wars Battlefront

getting back into the swing of collecting. I'll post some pics next week when my collection will literally quadruple. (I recently won 3 ebay lots haha)

soon my former collection will be complete

LordOfChaos

Don't get too excited. For the sole major pool of memory shared between both CPU and GPU, 6.4GB/s wasn't really that amazing, especially with a graphics chip as beastly as an NV2A. By comparison, the GeForce 3 series of GPUs all had dedicated GPU BW 6.4GB/s or higher.

The GameCube had a memory scheme that did a pretty good job of isolating things in a way which both achieved good utilization and avoided BW bottlenecks, and the theoretical peak bandwidths of the video memory on the PS2 were cartoonishly high (if we play the silly bandwidth-summing game, the PS2 can yield numbers in the ballpark of 50GB/s).

If anything, the oXbox's GPU I/O performance feels like one of its biggest disadvantages. Entering slideshow mode when a cheap alpha layer fills half the screen is one of the pillars of the oXbox experience.

I suppose you're right. Though the gamecube had slower main system memory, its caches could offload the need for bandwidth heavy effects to hit that memory. 2.7 GB/s bandwidth to the 24MB main, 10.4 GB/s texture peak bandwidth, 7.6 GB/s framebuffer peak bandwidth. Adding them together is stupid, but I can see how that would have dealt with things like alpha layers better than the monolithic memory of the xbox.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
I know it's been mentioned in the thread already, but Breakdown was one of my surprises on the system.
It was annoyingly difficult at the end (especially on Hard mode) but really love the game and I wish they did a sequel, especially with the good ending.
I was playing Burnout 3 on it, and it's as fun as I remember it being. I'll need to get Revenge soon, as I've had it on PS2 but sold it and I bet the Xbox version is better in terms of graphics and speed.

I know it's been mentioned in the thread already, but Breakdown was one of my surprises on the system.
It was annoyingly difficult at the end (especially on Hard mode) but really love the game and I wish they did a sequel, especially with the good ending.
I was playing Burnout 3 on it, and it's as fun as I remember it being. I'll need to get Revenge soon, as I've had it on PS2 but sold it and I bet the Xbox version is better in terms of graphics and speed.

Back in the day, most people actually preferred the crazy over-the-top particles and sparks in the PS2 version of Burnout 3. I on the other hand prefer the more subdued look in the Xbox version. And IIRC it supports custom soundtracks, which is necessary. Fuck EA Trax.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Back in the day, most people actually preferred the crazy over-the-top particles and sparks in the PS2 version of Burnout 3. I on the other hand prefer the more subdued look in the Xbox version. And IIRC it supports custom soundtracks, which is necessary. Fuck EA Trax.

And DJ Striker too!
I didn't notice the difference with the particles and sparks, I'll need to track the PS2 version down (not that hard).

And DJ Striker too!
I didn't notice the difference with the particles and sparks, I'll need to track the PS2 version down (not that hard).

IGN did a comparison.

burnout-3-takedown-head-to-head-20040908044129912-000.jpg

http://www.ign.com/articles/2004/09/09/burnout-3-takedown-head-to-head

I wonder if this is where the "needs more sparks" meme originated on this forum in the mid-aughts, haha.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Woah, that's a sealed X-box Live dev jewel or something?

And I thought True Fantasy Live Online never released even in Japan. WTF is that?

Borman

Woah, that's a sealed X-box Live dev jewel or something?

And I thought True Fantasy Live Online never released even in Japan. WTF is that?

It's a calendar hah.

The other thing isn't a developer thing, more of an anniversary item from what I can tell.

Top Bottom