• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay, I'm going to admit something here...the greatest game ever was on Genesis.

Matlock

Banned
6Pak_Cart.jpg

Six great games! Great amounts of replay! One low price!

I'm sorry, Tetris, but I've remembered this old love...!

Bobety

Man my friend had that exact 6 in 1 when we were young, golden axe and streets of rage are the best multiplayer games ever

Lhadatt

Joe said:
It's a MicroGenesis.

Why doesn't Sega slap a screen on this, get it to GBA/SP form-factor and sell the unit for $30-$45? Put the games on cards or cheap carts, sell them at 3 for $10 or something. Instant cash cow.

Or maybe they won't. Sega's history of incompetent management dictates moves like this might actually be smart and thus not worthy of the company's history of acting like a bumbling drunkard.

jenov4

Lhadatt said:
It's a MicroGenesis.

Why doesn't Sega slap a screen on this, get it to GBA/SP form-factor and sell the unit for $30-$45? Put the games on cards or cheap carts, sell them at 3 for $10 or something. Instant cash cow.

They're too busy putting all their efforts into those Sega Ages titles. We all know how well that turned out eh? (Hint, read this thread ) ;p

SantaC

my 4 pack nes cart was the best ever. It had:

Ninja Gaiden 3 (Ninja Ryukenden)
SMB3
Double Dragon 2
Contra

It was japanese though.

Koshiro

I loved my Megadrive: Streets of Rage, the best Sonics (still), Toejam and Earl, Dynamite Headdy, hell, there's no point in me listing, we all know the greatness. RIP Megadrive.

Sonic 1/2/3/S&K, Streets of Rage 2, Herzog Zwei, Phantasy Star II/IV, Shining Force I/II, Gunstar Heroes, Revenge of Shinobi, Shinobi III, Super Monaco GP 1, General Chaos, Road Rash II, Crusader of Centy, Beyond Oasis, Gaiares, Granada, Target Earth, Dynamite Headdy, Rocket Knight Adventures, Sparkster, Comix Zone, Kid Chameleon, Toe Jam & Earl 1, Shining in the Darkness, Landstalker, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Strider, Shadowrun, Wings of Wor, Thunder Force III, Ranger-X, Jurassic Park Rampage Edition, Pirates! Gold, Monster Land series, Zero Tolerance 1, Alisia Dragoon, Splatterhouse 2, Rolling Thunder 2, Super Baseball 2020, Mutant League Football, NHL '94, Mickey Mouse and the Castle of Illusion, Golden Axe 1, Alien Soldier, Mega Man The Wily Wars, Burning Force, Vectorman 1...

These are the greatest games ever...on the Genny...IMO. 6-Pak was a great little package, though.

MightyHedgehog said:
Sonic 1/2/3/S&K, Streets of Rage 2, Herzog Zwei, Phantasy Star II/IV, Shining Force I/II, Gunstar Heroes, Revenge of Shinobi, Shinobi III, Super Monaco GP 1, General Chaos, Road Rash II, Crusader of Centy, Beyond Oasis, Gaiares, Granada, Target Earth, Dynamite Headdy, Rocket Knight Adventures, Sparkster, Comix Zone, Kid Chameleon, Toe Jam & Earl 1, Shining in the Darkness, Landstalker, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Strider, Shadowrun, Wings of Wor, Thunder Force III, Ranger-X, Jurassic Park Rampage Edition, Pirates! Gold, Monster Land series, Zero Tolerance 1, Alisia Dragoon, Splatterhouse 2, Rolling Thunder 2, Super Baseball 2020, Mutant League Football, NHL '94, Mickey Mouse and the Castle of Illusion, Golden Axe 1, Alien Soldier, Mega Man The Wily Wars, Burning Force, Vectorman 1...

These are the greatest games ever...on the Genny...IMO. 6-Pak was a great little package, though.

oh is that all

ElyrionX

Why do so many people regard Streets of Rage 2 better than Streets of Rage 3? SoR3 was longer, had more variety and was infinitely more fun......

Anyanka

I do like SOR3 a lot, but 2 has better level and boss design. Dr. Zan sucks too. There's also the soundtrack. 3's is underrated, but it can't touch 2's. 3 also has WAY too many enemies. It gets really boring when you have to fight literally 6 of the same type of bad guy in a room. All beat em ups have repetitive enemies, but SOR3 is just really, really bad at it. It's just wave after wave after wave at some parts.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I miss the Telenet and Compile games...

A shame no one has mentioned M.U.S.H.A.

Trouble Shooter I enjoyed a great deal. Same w/ the excellent port of Forgotten Worlds.

Thunfer Force II had its moments.

bjork

Anyanka said:
I do like SOR3 a lot, but 2 has better level and boss design. Dr. Zan sucks too. There's also the soundtrack. 3's is underrated, but it can't touch 2's. 3 also has WAY too many enemies. It gets really boring when you have to fight literally 6 of the same type of bad guy in a room. All beat em ups have repetitive enemies, but SOR3 is just really, really bad at it. It's just wave after wave after wave at some parts.

iawtp

SoR2 is my favorite Genesis brawler... maybe favorite overall, possibly. The level with the elevator, while Expander plays in the background... that's good frantic fun, especially on the hardest setting.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Jim Bowie said:
Shadowrun on the Genesis was great.. but not as good as the SNES Shadowrun. It still remains one of my favorite RPGs.
That's actually pretty interesting since it's widely regarded that the Genesis version is superior. Not that I care all that much but I've always been told that. Specifically that it's more of an RPG and much more faithful to the FASA's gameworld. I've only played the SNES version so I can't compare.

SaitoH

Jim Bowie said:
Shadowrun on the Genesis was great.. but not as good as the SNES Shadowrun. It still remains one of my favorite RPGs.

I played both and felt the Genesis version was lightyears better than the SNES one.

>_>

I still play SoR2 with an online friend when I get the chance. Gunstar heroes, Landstalker, REvenge of Shinobi, Shinobi 3 ... the list goes on.

^w^

DaCocoBrova said:
I miss the Telenet and Compile games...

Trouble Shooter I enjoyed a great deal. Same w/ the excellent port of Forgotten Worlds.

Thunfer Force II had its moments.

Ya, MUSHA is/was Compile's greatest achievement, IMO...before they got crazy with the Puyo Puyo madness... TFII's sidescrolling bits were great, but the top-down stuff was boring as hell...and it really shouldn't have been. Trouble Shooter was interesting and fun, but I never did play it until the Gen was past dead...the boxart was fugly. Forgotten Worlds does rock (god, I'll never forget the music!) but I had an arcade next to me that had the game as well...nothing beats those rotary controls...even as well as the Genny version was handled.

Shadowrun Gen was better-playing, to me, than the SNES version. SNES version had a better story and music, though. Also forgot to list El Viento...more eye-candy than real game, but it was hella fun to see those big, pseudo-scaling sprite explosions.

Earthworm Jim 1, Subterrania, Buster's Treasure Hunt, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Junction, (and the excellent conversions of) Starflight, Star Control, Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday added...

XS+

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
That's because I overlooked this thread somehow.

Both Battle Mania games rock btw (BM2 is as good or better than Forgotten Worlds)

XS+

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:

Way to overlook GAIN GROUND and VALIS III! Scrub.

I'd also throw in E-Swat, Thunderforce IV, Shadow Dancer, and the aforementioned MUSHA and Battle Mania 2. But good list.

As for El Viento.. speed run. It's all about finding yourself a stopwatch, running in the game nonstop and finishing the game in record time.

Top Bottom