• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddocks

I shit you not, this is real

"Music: Nickleback, Goo Goo Dolls, Counting Crows, Barenaked Ladies, LFO, Creed, any show-tunes...."

Just send a message using only nickleback and creed lyrics. Be like,"I am so high reading your profile, I can hear heaven. I'll accept you, with arms wide open."

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
My first post in this thread, made a profile after being single for the first time in 3 years. (feels bad man)

First thing I noticed it how there's an inappropriately large amount of girls indicating that they're bi on that site, not sure if that's generally how it is, if that's how Vancouver/my matches are, or if I'm just wrong about what proportion of people in real life are bi.

Curious. So far I'm just people-watching, seeing what kinds of stuff people answer. Never done any kind of online-dating before. Surprised by how open some people are, e.g. "Yes there are naked pictures of me on the internet" and stuff like that.

dralla

No, it's not. Unless you can tell by other things in her profile that she's being silly.

anybody notice a lot of young single moms on here? what gives?

she says very sarcastic and it 'gets her in trouble a lot'.

so she responded already but didn't really answer, I'll keep you guys up to date as this important story continues to unfold.

edit.

WELP

"lol I can confidently say that I very much enjoy Creed and Nickelback... Nickelback is actually one of my preset stations on I<3Music :)"

edit 2.

great, now I'm knee deep in conversation about nickelback and creed. the fuck?

Retrocide

So...I went out with a girl for 4 dates and imho everything was going well....she seemed to be into me...then all of a sudden I get a text saying we should just be friends. So that's weeks of effort down the drain.

Luckily I never stopped the process and have a few conversations ongoing. New dates can be quickly lined up.

But still...it hurts...I've never gotten the "we should just be friends" line before. I guess this is normal for online dating.

(._.)

Banned
she says very sarcastic and it 'gets her in trouble a lot'.

so she responded already but didn't really answer, I'll keep you guys up to date as this important story continues to unfold.

edit.

WELP

"lol I can confidently say that I very much enjoy Creed and Nickelback... Nickelback is actually one of my preset stations on I<3Music :)"

edit 2.

great, now I'm knee deep in conversation about nickelback and creed. the fuck?

Sometimes they aren't as witty or sarcastic as they lead you on to believe by their profile. I know that sounds sorta judgmental but it's been my experience with a few. If she's cool though and you like her then godspeed and good luck.

Spinluck

I message super cute nerdy girl, she messages back.

She goes to the same school I go to for the same damn major, and we are knee deep in conversation and she just bails. Lol. It's not like she wasn't interested, she was checking my profile and sending paragraphs back. I'm guessing a superior male (or female showed up, she was bi). I was making her laugh and everything so it seemed like a total lock. You win some, you lose some, but to lose one like that. Goddamn.

Fuck this site.

Hold me GAF.

Necrovex

She goes to the same school I go to for the same damn major, and we are knee deep in conversation and she just bails. Lol. It's not like she wasn't interested, she was checking my profile and sending paragraphs back. I'm guessing a superior male (or female showed up, she was bi). I was making her laugh and everything so it seemed like a total lock. You win some, you lose some, but to lose one like that. Goddamn.

Fuck this site.

Hold me GAF.

How long has it been since the last message? Writing long-ass messages also take time. She may have the ability or time to respond back to you right now.

Fuck this site.

Hold me GAF.

It happens man, it feels worse when they delete their profile. But that's part of the game. You don't know that it was some other person that made her ignore you, so don't let yourself get down. Sometimes shit happens

dralla

hmm, tried out a new one, girl mentions she likes steak, so

OkCSteak.png

she didn't get my Halo reference, hah

oh and what's funny is, in her profile it says not to message her with 1 sentence messages

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Okay, there must definitely be a problem with people in Paris: it's not just that I don't get any replies. I don't even get visitors apart from you guys. The scene is just not that active around these parts it seems :/.

Smiley90

Wait, the site hides "attractive" people from match results unless you get enough "attractive" ratings yourself?

lol.

Wazzim

Banned
A girl responded positively to "Wanna have free sex? Just kidding." lol.

Okay, there must definitely be a problem with people in Paris: it's not just that I don't get any replies. I don't even get visitors apart from you guys. The scene is just not that active around these parts it seems :/.
Paris is huge compared to the pathetic Dutch cities, just start sending bucketloads of quirky messages.

Smiley90

Yup, default is 3 stars or lower. You need to be ranked 4 stars to see 4 stars and 5 stars to see 5 stars.

... Oh man. How many of those coveted 4star/5star ratings do you need to get to "improve" your matches?

That's a sucky system.

Spinluck

How long has it been since the last message? Writing long-ass messages also take time. She may have the ability or time to respond back to you right now.

Like 2 days, lol. I usually don't care if they don't text back on the same day. Sometimes I lose track of time, and forget to answer or message. Or don't even notice I have one, shit happens. But it's been a little over 2 days, and not all her messages were long paragraphs. But we both had some of great length, enough to let me know we were both into the conversation.

Oh well.

*shrugs*

EDIT: And yea, the rating system is shit.

... Oh man. How many of those coveted 4star/5star ratings do you need to get to "improve" your matches?

That's a sucky system.

I dont think the exact formula is unknown.

Besides giving 5 stars to anyone in this thread, people have created a dozen accounts to rate themselves.

Spinluck

I dont think the exact formula is unknown.

Besides giving 5 stars to anyone in this thread, people have created a dozen accounts to rate themselves.

Oh my, I wish I had the patience to do that.

But ever since GAF helped me out and rated me, I've noticed only a few differences. I'm not complaining though. I've definitely noticed and talked to more attractive female users as a result as a result.

Smiley90

Oh my, I wish I had the patience to do that.

But ever since GAF helped me out and rated me, I've noticed only a few differences. I'm not complaining though. I've definitely noticed and talked to more attractive female users as a result as a result.

It seems like you get an e-mail once you've broken that "barrier"? So maybe you haven't noticed a difference because you haven't reached it yet?

I have no idea.

GabDX

Banned
Yup, default is 3 stars or lower. You need to be ranked 4 stars to see 4 stars and 5 stars to see 5 stars.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. I never got the "You're hot!" email or whatever but I could still see the 4 and 5 stars. I subscribed to A-list for a while so I could tell what everyone's rating was.

Spinluck

It seems like you get an e-mail once you've broken that "barrier"? So maybe you haven't noticed a difference because you haven't reached it yet?

I have no idea.

Not sure, since I use a separate sort of dump email account for this kind of stuff. So I've only checked a couple of times.

But I definitely noticed more attractive women showing up in my results not too long after that. It's stupid that, because some of them matched well with me. But because I wasn't getting the same rating they were I'd never notice them.

It was bad enought that 75% of the girls I get on here are "cawntry gurls looking for their cawntry purince" and are boring and dull as fuck. Even with that barrier, I've managed 3 dates with 3 different girls since I joined the site in January. So I guess that's not the best excuse for me to use, since I did some things wrong in my apporach at first, lol.

I really can't wait to move to Orlando, which is about 67 miles from here (an hr and twenty or thirty from here give or take). The site continues to match me up with girls from there as opposed to my actual area. And a lot of the time they are both attractive AND interesting. I've carried a few lengthy chats with girls over there, and some straight up say that I'm too far away and their not interested lol.

But anyway, the rating system just creates more barriers that don't need to be there. Especially for guys. But I can understand it actually really does help some women out a lot, because making their profile completely visible to all people on a free dating site would implode their inbox. Especially if they're attractive.

Smiley90

Not sure, since I use a separate sort of dump email account for this kind of stuff. So I've only checked a couple of times.

But I definitely noticed more attractive women showing up in my results not too long after that. It's stupid that, because some of them matched well with me. But because I wasn't getting the same rating they were I'd never notice them.

It was bad enought that 75% of the girls I get on here are "cawntry gurls looking for their cawntry purince" and are boring and dull as fuck. Even with that barrier, I've managed 3 dates with 3 different girls since I joined the site in January. So I guess that's not the best excuse for me to use, since I did some things wrong in my apporach at first, lol.

I really can't wait to move to Orlando, which is about 67 miles from here (an hr and twenty or thirty from here give or take). The site continues to match me up with girls from there as opposed to my actual area. And a lot of the time they are both attractive AND interesting. I've carried a few lengthy chats with girls over there, and some straight up say that I'm too far away and their not interested lol.

But anyway, the rating system just creates more barriers that don't need to be there. Especially for guys. But I can understand it actually really does help some women out a lot, because making their profile completely visible to all people on a free dating site would implode their inbox. Especially if they're attractive.

I feel like a decent compromise would be to display EVERYONE with whom you match up say 90+%, and then only "hide" for everything below that. It sucks that an artificial barrier is there for such high matches, since presumably you are so similar to overcome any kind of physical attractiveness difference at that point. IF their matching system works, which the system should really assume. I understand why the barrier is there, but it would be much better if it was only there for low-% matches.

Spinluck

I feel like a decent compromise would be to display EVERYONE with whom you match up say 90+%, and then only "hide" for everything below that. It sucks that an artificial barrier is there for such high matches, since presumably you are so similar to overcome any kind of physical attractiveness difference at that point. IF their matching system works, which the system should really assume. I understand why the barrier is there, but it would be much better if it was only there for low-% matches.

Totally agree.

Smiley90

They don't hide your Matches based on attractiveness. That will always be the same. It alters who you see on the front page, Quiver, and maybe Quickmatch.

"We are very pleased to report that you are in the top half of OkCupid's most attractive users. The scales recently tipped in your favor, and we thought you'd like to know...

Your new elite status comes with one important privilege:

You will now see more attractive people in your match results.

This new status won't affect your actual match percentages, which are still based purely on your answers and desired match's answers. But the people we recommend will be more attractive. Also! You'll be shown to more attractive people in their match results."

You sure?

They don't hide your Matches based on attractiveness. That will always be the same. It alters who you see on the front page, Quiver, and maybe Quickmatch.

False, it's been proven time and again that certain users will not ever show up until you hit certain ratings benchmarks

Just like the search by year trick.

If you're 25, and you search 18 to 27, you might have a 92% match that's 19 and you'll never see until you search 19 to 19

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I just got the "you're hot" e-mail after two weeks on the site. That's nice, I guess, but I'm sure everyone gets it eventually. I've apparently been visited by 119 people and 30 have rated me highly, which seems kind of weird. I'm definitely not bragging; I just find it interesting because I pretty much never rate people and wasn't really sure if it was a common thing to score most of the profiles you view.

So this girl who I met on OKC then dated once two weeks ago (then went MIA) texted me at 12:45 this morning...I chose to ignore it. No clue what prompted her to text me...

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

I deleted my profile yesterday. At first there was a couple of girls that I was interested, some of them replied to me but stopped talking after a while, after that there wasn't any girl I wanted to date for months and months in my area so I gave up.

Seems like I'm undateable even by online standards =(

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Another IM from a random girl that goes nowhere. Why message me and be fucking boring? I'm just talking about a bunch of weird shit now. I'm think I'm just gonna turn this thing off.

And holy cow, ever since I got upgraded to "hot" I am getting a shitload more visitors.

Why didn't you at least look at it? Maybe she wanted a booty call

I looked at it of course, just never responded back. Anyways, I've basically moved on after her...in conversation with three other girls on OKC. Two seem to have potential, the other is kinda meh but I told myself to ask her out on a coffee date at least.

Two of the girls live about forty-five minutes away from me, but in the same area so hopefully I can meet the two of them on the same day. The other lives near my work so it's easy. This is certainly some interesting times...two are 95% match...although after meeting a 92% I'm not so certain about how accurate these ratings are...

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I had a bot asked me if I have a yahoo account. Who the fucking hell has a yahoo account in the last 13 years?

I looked at it of course, just never responded back. Anyways, I've basically moved on after her...in conversation with three other girls on OKC. Two seem to have potential, the other is kinda meh but I told myself to ask her out on a coffee date at least.

Two of the girls live about forty-five minutes away from me, but in the same area so hopefully I can meet the two of them on the same day. The other lives near my work so it's easy. This is certainly some interesting times...two are 95% match...although after meeting a 92% I'm not so certain about how accurate these ratings are...

Hey I found a girl whose enemy rating was 99% and it turned out she was this girl I absolutely loathed back in high school. So it seems good to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom