• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastry

Banned
Good idea. I've been feeling way more casual/flirty lately so I dont think Im gonna bother suggesting dinner or something super traditional/boring as a first date again. Never taken a girl to a bar as a date? Usually pretty good first date?

Are there any casual bars that also serve food around you? I kind of have a go-to spot for first dates that always works. Super casual outdoor bar that has a ton of food trucks around it.

Or... a place that has games you can play. Bocce ball is pretty much the best date game ever.

Another good piece of advice is to try and keep the first date short. Now it's hard if they live quite a distance from you, but I'm going to agree with this one piece of advice that I forgot over the past couple of years until recently. GIVE HER THE GIFT OF MISSING YOU. At least within the first couple dates of courtship.

I say plan to keep the date short but be open to make it long if things click. Had a date with a girl last Saturday and we ended up drinking and talking at the place I mentioned above for five hours. We had our second date last night, went even better than the first albeit shorter since it was the week.

dralla

arg, had a really good convo going with a girl in NYC, told her I was on LI and no more messages. I would've gladly taken a train to meet up with her, ah well.

dralla

She's in Queens too, which isn't even that far into the City.

fuck it, moving to NYC. I actually would if if weren't so damn expensive fuuuuuck

(._.)

Banned
post em

LUsfMqD.jpg

Wazzim

Banned
So I have a lot of responses from girls etc. but I don't understand how I should actually get results from online dating.

I feel like it's all too much 'chat' instead of to the point. Don't get me wrong, I like to interact with girls but conversations of more than 10 messages seem like a waste of time. I'd much rather meet up in person and directly know if I like them or not.

dralla

So I have a lot of responses from girls etc. but I don't understand how I should actually get results from online dating.

I feel like it's all too much 'chat' instead of to the point. Don't get me wrong, I like to interact with girls but conversations of more than 10 messages seem like a waste of time. I'd much rather meet up in person and directly know if I like them or not.

So, tell them this? Get their number, text a little, set up a meeting. That's usually how it goes.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

I've been being quicker about getting to the point. I mean, you're both on a dating site, the profiles/questions do a pretty decent job of serving as a brief introduction, etc. so there's really no shame in being direct. Too much chatting/messaging online is quite likely a waste of time. If they say no, it's probably unlikely that they would've said yes at a later date anyway — if they're not into your profile, photo, etc. there's not much you can do.

Wazzim

Banned
So, tell them this? Get their number, text a little, set up a meeting. That's usually how it goes.

I've been being quicker about getting to the point. I mean, you're both on a dating site, the profiles/questions do a pretty decent job of serving as a brief introduction, etc. so there's really no shame in being direct. Too much chatting/messaging online is quite likely a waste of time. If they say no, it's probably unlikely that they would've said yes at a later date anyway — if they're not into your profile, photo, etc. there's not much you can do.

Yeah I've been pretty quick with trying to get over to texting/meetup and was questioning if it was the right way to go or not.

Thanks for the help!

I usually send my name the second time around and ask them out in the third message. That's enough to have told a couple of good jokes and set up a rapport that you can reference in real life. I get bored when the messages are too chatty and personal. It's like a TV show with characters that aren't moving forward and growing.

Messaged one of the prettiest girls I've seen on Okcupid in my area so far. (assuming she's not a bot).

(replies very selectively)

Got a response. *fist pump*

Zee-Row

Banned
I can't even get the ugly girls on this site to talk to me. I don't know what i should do if i can't get people on the internet to talk to me. I just shut my account down today. Nothing is more deflating than typing a well thought out message , getting your page viewed by that person and then nothing.

I can't even get the ugly girls on this site to talk to me. I don't know what i should do if i can't get people on the internet to talk to me. I just shut my account down today. Nothing is more deflating than typing a well thought out message , getting your page viewed by that person and then nothing.

Whoa bro. So how long are these messages you're typing out?

Spacebar

Give it time, brah. The reply rate for guys isn't that good anyway so just keep going at it. What was your exact message to this girl?

Timing is usually more of a factor than anything else. Don't take things personally. I've had people get back to me A YEAR later.

Also, "well thought out message" totally tells me you're sending long, desperate things that bum people out. Just crack a joke or two with potential for open-ended responses.

Zee-Row

Banned
Timing is usually more of a factor than anything else. Don't take things personally. I've had people get back to me A YEAR later.

Also, "well thought out message" totally tells me you're sending long, desperate things that bum people out. Just crack a joke or two with potential for open-ended responses.

Most people on their profiles look down on a messages that are a sentence long so I try to make things interesting and not generic.

Most people on their profiles look down on a messages that are a sentence long so I try to make things interesting and not generic.
So type three sentences that are interesting. Brevity is the soul of wit. Being legitimately funny is more important than anything ever on this site, seriously.

I'm going to be mean and tell you I'm assuming that since you wrote long messages, they probably were not interesting and were very generic.

(._.)

Banned

I was fucking around with the serious message approach a while ago before I reactivated my okcupid account. Would mostly have my profile viewed and then be ignored. I would get responses occasionally from good looking girls but it just wasn't working for me. The conversations were just too serious, ordinary and they would end up going nowhere. I was killing any sort of chemistry with what I thought were good messages. They were genuine and well thought out but I think what they lacked was showing any sort of passion. Like after the 4 or so long messages had been exchanged they'd just stop replying. I'm guessing most girls don't want to have long conversations on the site. They feel stressed out being on there. They want to be swept off their feet with fun/flirty banter. Obviously this doesn't apply to every girl but I noticed more replies when I'd send flirty introductions where I'd tease/challenge them. I think guys come off boring if they write something somewhat generic regardless of it being sincere or not. They've heard it all. Also sometimes they may just not be into you, keep trying!

mind copy/pasting some of your messages?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Ha, over time, the site is really trying to get me to either turn off invisible browsing or join the A-List. Over the past couple of days, they've started showing the number of visitors I get, and now they're showing dimmed-down versions of the members pics with their usernames blocked out. Clever, but I'm still not going to turn off invisible browsing — I don't really see the point.

I'm sure this happens to everyone, I just thought it was interesting.

Ha, over time, the site is really trying to get me to either turn off invisible browsing or join the A-List. Over the past couple of days, they've started showing the number of visitors I get, and now they're showing dimmed-down versions of the members pics with their usernames blocked out. Clever, but I'm still not going to turn off invisible browsing — I don't really see the point.

I'm sure this happens to everyone, I just thought it was interesting.
Make a second account and use a different browser to view people.

Krujo

Banned
I wasn't quite sure about what the actual rating system was for on okCupid but I looked it up and I know I get it I think.

dralla

I love getting rated highly, than no message. Like, what the fuck, message me if you're interested. What's funny is, the girl that just rated me 5 was literally the very first person I ever messaged on this site. She responded back than that she just met a guy and was deactivating her profile, that was almost a year ago.

Unfortunately I have no interest in her anymore lol

Az987

all good things
not really

I was being saracastic.

I love getting rated highly, than no message. Like, what the fuck, message me if you're interested. What's funny is, the girl that just rated me 5 was literally the very first person I ever messaged on this site. She responded back than that she just met a guy and was deactivating her profile, that was almost a year ago.

Unfortunately I have no interest in her anymore lol

I can't even see who rated me highly anymore.

It says I need to be A-list to see it.

I'm at 12 and I think I only around half are from people here.

I can get a little help with my profile? http://www.okcupid.com/profile/32bits?cf=profile

Also I gotten a lot of views and sometimes I get a email telling that this person has chosen me but that does that mean?

1. In the Six things section, 'Comic's' should be spelled 'Comics'.

2. In the You should message me if section, you use the phrase 'have fun' five times. I think that the point is conveyed after approximately ONE use. Also, since everyone is looking to have fun, you haven't communicated much of anything. Perhaps you can make the section less redundant somehow?

3. Get a college degree and thusly acquire more of teh moneys. These two items in conjunction enhance your prospects and make sense outside of a dating context, especially in the DMV area where the ladies are over-educated (along with everyone else) and have certain expectations.

4. A few more pictures evincing some of your interests and showcasing a smile can't hurt (actually, they could, depending on what your interests are. But I presume they won't).

5. Properly capitalize the titles of movies/T.V. shows in your lists and put a space after each item. (I'm a grammar freak, so this may not be as salient an issue for most women as it is for me.)

6. In your self-summary, 'easily offending' should read 'easily offended'.

7. The What I'm doing with my life section ought to contain some indication that you have goals, pursue them, and are achieving them. I don't know that there is a single woman out there that doesn't like that ("gee, Jim, I'd love to date but your profile here indicates you are driven and building a career. I'd really rather someone that was homeless, nothing personal"). Your indicating that you'd like to "do something crazy or new" doesn't fit the purpose of the section and should be moved to the Message me if.... section, if anywhere.

8. Expand your age range to 45 to increase the probability of some MILF-tastic action (unless ardently against having sex with older, attractive, mature women, that is).

9. In the section with your lists, 'don't really listen to mush music of this generation though' ought to read 'don't really listen to much music of this generation though,' unless mush music is some new genre I'm not aware of.

dralla

I was being saracastic.

I can't even see who rated me highly anymore.

It says I need to be A-list to see it.

I'm at 12 and I think I only around half are from people here.

It depends if they do it through the quick match or from your regular profile I think. Sometime it shows me who it is, sometimes it doesn't. I think that's how it works, but not sure. Texting with 3 girls currently, can get a little overwhelming, one of them seems a little hesitant to meet up, the others seem good with it.

and the pancake waffle message is still going strong, to think, all the messages I sent before with actual effort, who knew it was so easy!

pretty safe to assume I pissed someone off at okc. I must have sent,"make it clap for me gurl" to a admin or something lol Because I cant log in and I asked whats the deal and they havent got back to me yet. Safe to say my online dating days are, well gone as I only really like okc.

goodnight sweet okc, Ill miss your nipple slip pictures the most.

Because they closed a single account of yours it's now humanly impossible to return to the site in any capacity and thus your o-dating days are "over"? *Rolls eyes*

Maddocks

Because they closed a single account of yours it's now humanly impossible to return to the site in any capacity and thus your o-dating days are "over"? *Rolls eyes*

you do realize that they block IP's right? so my okc days are over. You swear I don't anything about Okc....like I tell noobs on battlefield 3, check my stats.

Krujo

Banned
1. In the Six things section, 'Comic's' should be spelled 'Comics'.

2. In the You should message me if section, you use the phrase 'have fun' five times. I think that the point is conveyed after approximately ONE use. Also, since everyone is looking to have fun, you haven't communicated much of anything. Perhaps you can make the section less redundant somehow?

3. Get a college degree and thusly acquire more of teh moneys. These two items in conjunction enhance your prospects and make sense outside of a dating context, especially in the DMV area where the ladies are over-educated (along with everyone else) and have certain expectations.

4. A few more pictures evincing some of your interests and showcasing a smile can't hurt (actually, they could, depending on what your interests are. But I presume they won't).

5. Properly capitalize the titles of movies/T.V. shows in your lists and put a space after each item. (I'm a grammar freak, so this may not be as salient an issue for most women as it is for me.)

6. In your self-summary, 'easily offending' should read 'easily offended'.

7. The What I'm doing with my life section ought to contain some indication that you have goals, pursue them, and are achieving them. I don't know that there is a single woman out there that doesn't like that ("gee, Jim, I'd love to date but your profile here indicates you are driven and building a career. I'd really rather someone that was homeless, nothing personal"). Your indicating that you'd like to "do something crazy or new" doesn't fit the purpose of the section and should be moved to the Message me if.... section, if anywhere.

8. Expand your age range to 45 to increase the probability of some MILF-tastic action (unless ardently against having sex with older, attractive, mature women, that is).

9. In the section with your lists, 'don't really listen to mush music of this generation though' ought to read 'don't really listen to much music of this generation though,' unless mush music is some new genre I'm not aware of.

Thanks for taking the time to help me with my grammar. I know it's horrible. I will make the changes.

I know not having a degree is going to hurt on that site but I make a lot of money being a construction worker but you are right about people in the DMV area.

you do realize that they block IP's right? so my okc days are over.

Yes, and since there aren't ways of changing one's IP -- multitudinous ways -- you're clearly doomed forever. It's like they banned your DNA!

*Rolls eyes so harshly that retinal detachment almost occurs, vows to stop rolling eyes*

You swear I don't anything about Okc....like I tell noobs on battlefield 3, check my stats.

I don't swear anything and I don't know what you're trying to say here.

Maddocks

Yes, and since there aren't ways of changing one's IP -- multitudinous ways -- you're clearly doomed forever. It's like they banned your DNA!

*Rolls eyes so harshly that retinal detachment almost occurs, vows to stop rolling eyes*

I don't swear anything and I don't know what you're trying to say here. Call of Duty is better anyway (though I think both are mediocre).

I'm doing to drop it. Not going to taint this thread with fighting and petty arguments. I have helped this thread more then I have hurt it.

I like okc and like how most cities need a better class of criminal, okc has a better class of woman. I will not change my IP, sign back up, or answer the same 3333 questions I already have. So my online dating days are done. Because POF sucks to me, so I will not waste time on it.

Maddocks

I was being fatuous.

wat? I was under the impression there wasn't much of any moderation whatsoever. They can make anybody mod including me :S

lol they do ban people sometimes, which happened. I assume if they notice a person sending a shitload of messages in a short amount of time they would think it was spamming. But what I do is I open a lot of profiles I like and then read them all and then message them all in a short amount of time. So I might look like I spammed them and banned.

I'm doing to drop it. Not going to taint this thread with fighting and petty arguments. I have helped this thread more then I have hurt it.

OK, so you're doing to drop it, but are you going to drop it?

Sorry bro, I enjoy the occasional (civil) petty scuffle; I thought it'd be rather entertaining. A brief spat of fisticuffs may have been a welcome change of pace for the thread, but I digress. I'll stop trolling now.

I like okc and like how most cities need a better class of criminal, okc has a better class of woman. I will not change my IP, sign back up, or answer the same 3333 questions I already have. So my online dating days are done. Because POF sucks to me, so I will not waste time on it.

Where will you find love now?

Hopping on a proxy, signing up, uploading the same pics, filling out the profile once more and answering a representative sample of questions should take a matter of minutes. I think it's rather odd to have answered so many questions in the first place; will your prospects really be harmed by blazing through 100-250 questions and calling it a day rather than treating it like the LSAT, GMAT, GRE's, or what have you?

Maddocks

OK, so you're doing to drop it, but are you going to drop it?

Sorry bro, I enjoy the occasional (civil) petty scuffle; I thought it'd be rather entertaining. A brief spat of fisticuffs may have been a welcome change of pace for the thread, but I digress. I'll stop trolling now.

Where will you find love now?

Hopping on a proxy, signing up, uploading the same pics, filling out the profile once more and answering a representative sample of questions should take a matter of minutes. I think it's rather off to have answered so many questions in the first place; will your prospects really be harmed by blazing through 100-250 of them and calling it a day rather than treating it like the LSAT, GMAT, GRE's, or what have you?

Its also the match %. 3333 questions made sure I had the best possible match. 150-250 isn't enough. It would only get to around 96%. And I would then lose all my favorites and convos. Also I would then lose my ratings. The work involved to get me back to my former glory is way to high.

To me I was 99% done with final fantasy 8, got all the weapons and did all the secret stuff. Got to the final boss and before I beat the final boss, game save corrupted. Anyone would be sour to the idea of going back and trying to 100% the game again after spending months and months working and fine tuning. That's how I feel about my profile, all my fine tuning and tinkering is all gone. So I'm sour to the idea of just restarting from scratch.

I tried really hard on OKC and POF over the last week to try an initiate some things with several women and got nothing. Am I that awful that no one wants me? =(

dralla

I shit you not, this is real

"Music: Nickleback, Goo Goo Dolls, Counting Crows, Barenaked Ladies, LFO, Creed, any show-tunes...."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom