• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mully

Just reactivated my account today after hitting a dry spell the past month. I already have a nice correspondence set up with a pretty nice and decently attractive girl. Things seem to be pointing towards a date within the next week.

Oh, and I took all of your advice from when I posted my profile about 4-5 months back. It seems to be working wonders so far.

How does it look?

Amory

Been messaging back and forth since a couple days ago with this girl that I'm really interested in...how do I know when to pull the trigger and ask for a date? She seems pretty outgoing so I was thinking I'd ask in my next message, but I don't wanna scare her away.

I am in over my head with this shit, jesus. a few girls have actually msged me and 2 of them are a bit more attractive than i am ready for if that makes sense, i didnt really expect to get anwyhere with them. I have this feeling like they will meet me and run for it. No idea how to play this

RoH

What message do you guys send to get a girl's phone number?

I'm thinking:
Know what? There's only so much we can get to know about each other online. Can I have your number?

Build up enough rapport, then. Something simple "Hey, what's your number?". I like to keep it simple. I definitely build rapport though.

RoH

I live in LA, so I have no shortage of friends who would take a headshot for me. But I'm also competing with a bunch of gorgeous people. And I think I want something a bit more natural.

I've read that pics with other people are a no go? I have some attractive friends. Is it worth slipping in some of those with me? Or will I only look worse in comparison?

I think it's the type of person you/they want to meet/attract. I have a personal no-go list, which includes women who have pictures with their friends (i'll let like one slide). I have enough clutter to filter through.

I've read that pics with other people are a no go? I have some attractive friends. Is it worth slipping in some of those with me? Or will I only look worse in comparison?

Earlier in this thread I'm pretty sure it was sort of encouraged to have pics with other people. Makes you seem more approachable than if you just used a bunch of self shots in your room.

I'm not sure though.

I live in LA, so I have no shortage of friends who would take a headshot for me. But I'm also competing with a bunch of gorgeous people. And I think I want something a bit more natural.

Of all the possible red flags, a picture with friends in it is definitely not one (for me at least). Unless you've only got group shots, and it's not clear which one you are or what you actually look like (if it's too far away or whatever). I'd say it's good to have a mix of pictures, especially for people who look totally different from one pic to the next. I've got one with a friend, one in fancy dress, a 'self portrait' type effort and a couple of regular pictures taken by friends.

zlatko

Banned
I just... hate talking on the phone unless I know a person.

I hate talking on the phone too and it's my job for a living right now haha.

What's your age? I'm 24 and I'm batting in the 19-24 range, so the chicks I got digits from and have been on dates on was through OKC and then just texting/some facebook. It worked fine for me, but I feel older women most likely would want the phone call to ask to go out.

My reasoning is I don't have that burly of a voice, and I feel like I run out of what to say on the phone quick where with texting I can pace it better.

Either way it works for me to text and ask for dates.

Of all the possible red flags, a picture with friends in it is definitely not one (for me at least). Unless you've only got group shots, and it's not clear which one you are or what you actually look like (if it's too far away or whatever). I'd say it's good to have a mix of pictures, especially for people who look totally different from one pic to the next. I've got one with a friend, one in fancy dress, a 'self portrait' type effort and a couple of regular pictures taken by friends.

Thanks. What about pictures with female friends versus male friends?

Does a picture with female friends scream "trying to prove something" or "is this a girlfriend that he hasn't gotten over?" Or does it say, "Hey, this guy can't be too creepy. Other girls hang out with him?"

zlatko

Banned
Thanks. What about pictures with female friends versus male friends?

Does a picture with female friends scream "trying to prove something" or "is this a girlfriend that he hasn't gotten over?" Or does it say, "Hey, this guy can't be too creepy. Other girls hang out with him?"

Label the pic? I have a pic of me and my best gal pal on there and it's labeled as such. NO big deal.

Darklord

Banned
I was having a great conversation with one girl and then today...no reply. I hope this isn't another one that randomly dies off for no reason. She was fully chatting back, flirting and asking questions too it wasn't a one sided chat.

I was having a great conversation with one girl and then today...no reply. I hope this isn't another one that randomly dies off for no reason. She was fully chatting back, flirting and asking questions too it wasn't a one sided chat.

How often do you reply?

Just out of curiosity. Is it best to do one message a day? One message every other day? Can you reply more than once in a day? People can see how often you're on, correct?

Darklord

Banned
How often do you reply?

Just out of curiosity. Is it best to do one message a day? One message every other day? Can you reply more than once in a day? People can see how often you're on, correct?

Well I don't get on until night so it was being once or twice a day with this girl. She was on today but no reply... Though if you're both on it can go back and forth like text messaging someone. There's no rule of when to reply.

Hope not, but who knows. I've run into more sudden disappearances lately than ever before.

Az987

all good things
I hate talking on the phone too and it's my job for a living right now haha.

What's your age? I'm 24 and I'm batting in the 19-24 range, so the chicks I got digits from and have been on dates on was through OKC and then just texting/some facebook. It worked fine for me, but I feel older women most likely would want the phone call to ask to go out.

My reasoning is I don't have that burly of a voice, and I feel like I run out of what to say on the phone quick where with texting I can pace it better.

Either way it works for me to text and ask for dates.

I have this thing I do where I just spew random nonsense because I don't want awkward pauses. If things start to get quite I'll just hum for a second until she asks what I'm humming lol. I've never been called out on it yet. I'll just pull things out of my ass.

I don't know, I can get a girl to laugh on the phone pretty easily. I run out of things to say through messaging. I can't show my personality in a text or a message on the site.

zlatko

Banned
Well I don't get on until night so it was being once or twice a day with this girl. She was on today but no reply... Though if you're both on it can go back and forth like text messaging someone. There's no rule of when to reply.

How many messages up are you two?

Give her the rest of the day to reply. If she hops on again today and you're both on, and no reply, then just send her a new message asking about hanging out.

I've had girls reply a day or two later even though it showed them online. It happens. I used to sign on in the morning before work, read the messages I have, then reply to them later that night.

ianp622

I just want to send something that will get them to take a look at my profile. If they like my profile, they'll write me back and if they do, then I'll put some time into my replies. If they don't, I never had a shot with them anyways.

Besides, from past personal experience on dating sites, regardless of length, the generic stuff I sent out got a response more frequently than personalized messages I actually put time into. Maybe it's me, or maybe it's that people feel pressured to put as much work into their reply as was put into the original message. They have easier time send a quick short reply back to a quick short message, than they do sending a long thoughtout reply to a well thought out message. Whatever the reason, for me, generic messages are what I've found effective.

If those are terrible, I would appreciate your input on coming up with a generic message that is funny and not terrible.

Effective for getting a response or effective for finding someone who's right for you?

Girls I have talked to say they ignore generic messages. Do you care about who responds to you or are you just trying to get a high response rate?

Spacebar

Just reactivated my account today after hitting a dry spell the past month. I already have a nice correspondence set up with a pretty nice and decently attractive girl. Things seem to be pointing towards a date within the next week.

Oh, and I took all of your advice from when I posted my profile about 4-5 months back. It seems to be working wonders so far.

How does it look?

This looks pretty good. I'm gonna steal your format if you don't mind.

How does it look?

Looks great, I need to redo mine, I think. Anyone mind looking over mine (via PM) before I post it here?

I'm currently messaging back and forth with two girls, I seem to "click" more with one than the other, here's hoping she doesn't randomly stop talking to me. I'm pretty fortunate in that I live almost smack dab in the middle of the DFW Metroplex so there are a lot of people on here.

Darklord

Banned
So I got a reply back from that girl and thinking of asking for her number/meeting next time she replies. Not really sure where'd we'd go though. It sucks not knowing much about the city you're in. I'll have to think of something.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Just got back from an afternoon out with this really cool and cute chick that I met on Match, but she dropped a bomb on me. After I got home and asked her out again, she told me that she has a 3 yr old daughter. She felt really bad for not telling me beforehand or while we were out, so I had to tell her I wasn't at that point where I could take on that kind of responsibility. She was cool with it and we just wished each other luck in the future. Oh well, on to the next one I guess.

mjc

I finally set up a date with one chick I've been talking to for about two weeks now. (She was out of town for awhile) We decided on dinner and a movie, and while I know its not the best option, it should be solid. This is my first time going on a date with someone from an online dating site..should I consider general guidelines to be solid? (Like, should I see if she wants me to pick her up or should we just meet? I'm thinking meeting is better)

UFRA

I finally set up a date with one chick I've been talking to for about two weeks now. (She was out of town for awhile) We decided on dinner and a movie, and while I know its not the best option, it should be solid. This is my first time going on a date with someone from an online dating site..should I consider general guidelines to be solid? (Like, should I see if she wants me to pick her up or should we just meet? I'm thinking meeting is better)

Don't suggest picking her up. The general rule of thumb with online dating is to always meet somewhere public the first time so both people feel comfortable. You'll risk sounding creepy asking to pick her up.

Dunno why people do movies on first dates. All the progress you'll make with her at dinner will just be wasted when you have to sit still in a dark room and can't talk for 2 hrs. Not to mention, if dinner goes bad, then again you must suffer through the next 2 hrs.

Good luck, but in the future the easiest thing to do is to plan only 1 event, and then make it spontaneous after that IF things go well.

The biggest risk is people who falsify their profiles and are not what they said they were.

Mully

What do you say to a girl when you realize she's been using her sister photos as her own after you FB stalk her?

She's a nice girl, but I have a date with her on Wednesday evening and she's not my physical type. She's out of shape and her sister is very in shape.

NateDrake

What do you say to a girl when you realize she's been using her sister photos as her own after you FB stalk her?

She's a nice girl, but I have a date with her on Wednesday evening and she's not my physical type. She's out of shape and her sister is very in shape.

You don't say anything. You could say she doesn't look like her OKC picture, but go on the date, enjoy it, and then say you have no interest or something.

bjb

Banned

Movie will most likely be awkward. I would advise switching it up to something more sociable.

I've come across this before. Run away. Fast.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Just got back from an afternoon out with this really cool and cute chick that I met on Match, but she dropped a bomb on me. After I got home and asked her out again, she told me that she has a 3 yr old daughter. She felt really bad for not telling me beforehand or while we were out, so I had to tell her I wasn't at that point where I could take on that kind of responsibility. She was cool with it and we just wished each other luck in the future. Oh well, on to the next one I guess.

why do you need to take responsibility for her daughter?

I personally prefer women with kids because they don't think about me as a potential father of their children.

Dicer

Banned

Bang the sister, teach her a lesson...no but really just ask when you go out, be up front about it since wasn't

I am in a rut finding nothing but Poly/Bi(a.k.a we are really lesbians but afraid to say it)/taken chicks and it's quite annoying...oh well I'll keep on keepin on.

Az987

all good things
Alright... guess I had my first "date" from POF last night.

I talked her into coming to my house and we watched a movie in my bed. She stayed the night. We didn't have sex but we cuddled lol. I don't really care though, it was nice.

At one point I said "Hey! You want to see something cool I can do with my tongue?" but I didn't mean it like that and she smiled and said "that's the best pick up line I've ever heard."

I am smooooooooth.

Bleepey

Alright... guess I had my first "date" from POF last night.

I talked her into coming to my house and we watched a movie in my bed. She stayed the night. We didn't have sex but we cuddled lol. I don't really care though, it was nice.

At one point I said "Hey! You want to see something cool I can do with my tongue?" but I didn't mean it like that and she smiled and said "that's the best pick up line I've ever heard."

I am smooooooooth.

So what did you do with your tongue?

I am just wondering who here is just looking to hook up on dating sites? What has your success rate been on both sites? I have been more successful on POF but i have been on POF longer. I am not sure if i would come across as a tool for mentioning how many i have had on each.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I wonder if I should open my page for search because I've registered about 12 years ago and didn't want anybody to know that I use dating sites. Now it's sort of usual stuff, so I might open it up for the experiment.

zlatko

Banned
What are the signs of being friend zoned?

She doesn't throw your compliments back if you toss some her way. Shorter replies. Generic replies to questions. Lack of flirty talk in general.

@ 3 year old daughter situation above.

I had a similar situation with an ex g/f where years later she has a son now. As far as I can tell and her openness about it, a single mom is really just looking for a relationship first. Most women do NOT want to bring you around their little kid, because kids develop attachments to those people easily. If after a long while of seeing each other, and you start dating, then she'll probably try to include you into the kid.

So if you had a good time, you should talk to her to say you want to get to KNOW her, spend time with her, and then worry about the kiddling later on.

@Darklord

What's the site that you can use to find good spots to hang out/eat at? I'm sure you can google it I forget its name. I moved out here about 7 months ago, and was lucky that I knew one good food place and she dug it last night. So your best bet is to just check out online and go try it together. Or you can always opt to make dinner together ALA MaxRPG style at her place and then watch a movie while still talking.

---------------

So I had my 3rd date with this girl last night. It was a hilarious, and slightly shitty evening, but ended amazingly. Basically, I wanted to go out to eat with her in Denver and go see Ted. Since I had driven to see her twice, this time I had her come here. I got her flowers, because I figured this date I should step it up and make it a kick ass night. So we get down there, parking in a 24 hour parking garage/ramp(this is important to the story later on), and then went to the theater. We killed about 15 minutes talking till the movie started and being touchy feely.

Movie was hilarious, and then we had to walk a few blocks to get to the place we wanted to eat. It was around 10 when we got to eating, and probably around 10:30ish when we were done. Great food.

So this is where shit gets ugly. We opted to go back up to the movie theater area then to the parking garage via a different route. Both of us never go into Denver and are from small towns, so she was fairly nervous downtown the whole night. I'm not that kind of person, but it felt bad seeing her stressed out for the next well hour. We get lostish. Then we try to retrace our steps, then we finally found the parking garage sometime later. The whole time she had to walk in flip flops, so her feet were killing her and she was definitely stressed to the max. When we found the garage we weren't sure if it was the right one, because apparently 24 hours means not 24 hours since it was locked up during night. Basically I fucked up and had no clue if you didn't park out in a lot, that at night they lock up the garage till morning. Ugh.

I had to hail a cab, and she spent the night since if I had gotten a cab to where she lives, it'd be about a 2 hour drive. I was hoping for a fairly inexpensive date, but with flowers, dinner, movie tickets, parking garage, and cab fair it was more than I had planned for.

The night back at my place was perfect though, and she told me she still had a really amazing time and it'll make a great story.

Going to wait maybe a week or two more to see how well it goes and not rush into anything, since last few g/fs I started dating them quick, and I'd rather not fuck anything up here and just let things happen naturally.

Az987

all good things
So what did you do with your tongue?

I am just wondering who here is just looking to hook up on dating sites? What has your success rate been on both sites? I have been more successful on POF but i have been on POF longer. I am not sure if i would come across as a tool for mentioning how many i have had on each.

I can make it into like a clover shaped looking thing. I don't know anyone else who can. Its like rolling your tongue but a step further I guess, everyone who can roll their tongue can't do it.

I'm not just looking to hook up but I feel way more comfortable if its just me and a woman 1 on 1 with no one else around.

Az987

all good things
I get maybe 3 or 4 unsolicited week. Usually on Saturday an unattractive woman will message me.

This morning I had a message from someone telling me they'd love to watch the stars with me. I have that as my first date lol

I have over 200 views since I signed up a little over a month ago.

My message number increased when I put a picture without a shirt on in my profile haha.

Its pretty crazy, on OKcupid I'd get like 2 views a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom