• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old School GAF : Which was the best weapon in Contra? (NES)

Which weapon in Contra was the bestest?

• Total voters

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
I saw a video by Irate Gamer on YouTube a while back where reviewed Contra and talked about laser was a bad weapon.
He was blowing steam since all of his videos show him obviously using only turbo buttons, but it hurt me nevertheless to hear someone speak poorly of a weapon that I liked playing with.

As a final topic of discussion, I'm also curious what weapons you find others to underestimate the most that you have found to be quite useful/powerful.

Clearly, I think the laser is a pretty good weapon. Similarly, are there some weapons/abilities that you feel are overestimated?

Contra_machine_gun.jpg
Contra_NES_weapon_machinegun.png

Contra_laser.jpg
Contra_NES_weapon_laser.png

Contra_fireball.jpg
Contra_NES_weapon_fireball.png

Contra_spread.jpg
Contra_NES_weapon_spread.png

Last edited:

Futaleufu

Spread shot trivializes the NES port. In the arcade version IIRC it was the laser or the spinning shot, but it was better balanced overall

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Friendships were based upon how the S was acquired. I played a ton of Contra 3 as a kid. I do remember a kid put a butter knife to my leg for taking the spread shot while we played Contra on NES. He must have had fetal alcohol syndrome or something. His house smelled like cigarettes and booze.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Spread shot trivializes the NES port. In the arcade version IIRC it was the laser or the spinning shot, but it was better balanced overall
A lot of shooters do that unfortunately where it makes the game easy peasy. Back then, games could be made oddly too hard or too easy.

I loved Thunderforce 3. But almost every weapon becomes OP.... Hunter (guided missile blue blobs) or Wave (giant powerful waves that go through anything), Sever (laser shots) it makes the game too easy. It gets to a point you barely have to do anything. Just hold down the fire button.

It's like game makers back then wanted you to beat the game in 20 minutes so you buy their next game. Or the devs just didnt know how to balance games back then.

Last edited:

Kruza

When it comes to Contra, the spread is supreme!

But with that said, I still have a strong crave for unleashing the flamethrower too.

digdug2

I beat Contra without dying one time in my life. Of course it happened while I was using spread shot. I don't think that I would ever be able to have a hit-less run using any other gun. In fact, I don't think I'll ever do another hit-less run again. I've tried many times over the years, but usually make it to Factory or Energy Zone. When I die, I turn off the game.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I saw a video by Irate Gamer on YouTube a while back where reviewed Contra and talked about laser was a bad weapon.
He was blowing steam since all of his videos show him obviously using only turbo buttons, but it hurt me nevertheless to hear someone speak poorly of a weapon that I liked playing with.
Laser: 1 vote

Why would you try to divide us like this?

That said, the Laser was the best weapon. The spread was the easiest weapon. Know your place.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Spread is best but there was one boss or mini boss (tank?) which laser crushes

Top Bottom