• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Olympics ratings down, NBCU CEO predicted this and preemptively blamed millennials

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

get some go again
all the controversy surrounding the olympics turned me off from watching. hopefully the japan olympics wont be a cluster fuck and i might tune in.

Maybe NBC needs to find a better business model instead of relying on prime time ratings.

In Tokyo they will still have most of the big finals during East Coast prime time. They did it in Beijing by making them compete first thing in the morning local time. I think part of the problem is even with prime time live coverage NBC's way of showing the competition sucked. Crappy commentary, fluffs, commercial breaks... The problem is their show is curated for the older generation who likes those stuff but millennials would prefer uninterrupted (or minimally uninterrupted) live coverage without sensational commentaries. NBC just needs to get on with the times.

I don't think it has anything to do with getting with the times or bad commentary. It's that with the streaming options, that even NBC provides, if you want to see an event you can see it as soon as you get home instead of waiting for the prime time show. Also in the past you were stuck watching whatever NBC decided to show, not the case now. If you want to watch a Badminton stream during the live swimming events you can.

4Tran

Watched on bunch on CBC. Was solid coverage. Except way too many interviews. But still enjoyed it. Live feeds of everything on their website. They did well.
Canada's demographics are relatively similar to the US, so if the CBC can increase their ratings, then the failings of NBC's ratings should be down to their own ineptitude. I haven't watched much NBC Olympic coverage, but what I saw was unwatchable garbage. And therein lies their problem: their coverage self-admittedly targets middle-aged women who don't really care about the actual competition. There's nothing to appeal to millenials, so why should there be any surprise at being unable to reach that demographic?

We live in an age of social media and instant notification of sporting results, yet NBC places no value on showing live events, so they're doomed to ever decreasing ratings until they change their ways.
They won't.

Azerare

I enjoyed the LIVE events that i did manage to see. I'd say volleyball was defintely one of the events i enjoyed watching this year. Probably because my office plays quite a bit so it was easy to relate to.

For all of the people who are bitching about the tape delay, are you saying they should have shown it live and then shown it again during prime time?

Only showing it live wouldn't have been a realistic option in the US given that most people are actually at work during that time. It's kind of a rock and a hard place.

SalvaPot

Once TV in Mexico did very well, it was far better that the "comedic" shit that Televisa and TV Azteca used to do, and also they didn't choked sponsors down our throat.

Only complain I have is that the closing ceremony was delayed 2 hours for some reason, but you could easily watch it online, so no biggie.

4Tran

For all of the people who are bitching about the tape delay, are you saying they should have shown it live and then shown it again during prime time?

Only showing it live wouldn't have been a realistic option in the US given that most people are actually at work during that time. It's kind of a rock and a hard place.
That's exactly how much of the world does it, so what's the big deal? It's not as if most people can't find out results trivially anyways. In any case, this is only an example of NBC's poor attitude towards Olympic coverage. Their presentation is garbage even without the tape delay.

MIMIC

Banned
Another thing that pissed me off was when they finally DID get around to showing their tape-delayed broadcasts, they showed entirely too many commercials instead of other athletes competing. All too often, they would come back from a commercial break, talk endlessly about an American athlete, and then go right back to a damn commercial without showing a single athlete competing.

I mean, what the fuck?! Is commentary supposed to substitute for actual sports coverage? There are other athletes competing! Withholding coverage until prime time just gives them an excuse to slice and dice the event and stuff as many commercials into it as possible.

4Tran

Another thing that pissed me off was when they finally DID get around to showing their tape-delayed broadcasts, they showed entirely too many commercials instead of other athletes competing. All too often, they would come back from a commercial break, talk endlessly about an American athlete, and then go right back to a damn commercial without showing a single athlete competing.

I mean, what the fuck?! Is commentary supposed to substitute for actual sports coverage?
These programs are supposedly tailored to middle-aged women who care more about the human stories than in the actual competition. It's pretty awful for everyone else though.

I'm saying you do all day live coverage and then at night after the events are done you run a Highlight Show for 2 hours or whatever.

The Summer Olympics ratings slip, the first since 2000, raises fresh doubts about what used to be a sure thing: live sports would be a huge and growing draw no matter what.
but they weren't live. i saw clips of tons of stuff long before they aired 'live on NBC' and i'm sure tons of other Millennials did too.

trixx

I only watched main events like track and field, swimming and some volleyball here and there.

Ive been working 24/7 this summer so barely have time to watch

"Millennials" don't even watch TV. I talk with many people my age at my work and nobody watches. Just watch for weather/news then everything else is Netflix, Hulu etc..

walei

I don't think it has anything to do with getting with the times or bad commentary. It's that with the streaming options, that even NBC provides, if you want to see an event you can see it as soon as you get home instead of waiting for the prime time show. Also in the past you were stuck watching whatever NBC decided to show, not the case now. If you want to watch a Badminton stream during the live swimming events you can.

What I mean is NBC can still continue with their style of prime time coverage but also look into a sustainable business model with live streams on other devices. Maybe they already have, but then sending out the "dooooooomed" PR that ratings are down 20% without providing info on how other Olympic contents generate revenue for NBC through other media is a little dishonest.

It can also be a strategy to pave the road for their next negotiation with IOC on broadcasting rights

There are so many sports i didnt get to see because of NBC. I watched like 30 seconds of archery and like 10 min of indoor cycling. They need more channels and they need to air stuff live and just replay it later on a random channel. This is all on NBC not the viewers.

This is the first time I almost skipped the broadcasts of the Olympics. I was not in the mood to watch them. Supposedly I'm a millennial too...

Brashnir

Here, NBC, I'll solve your fucking problem for you, since you don't even realize where your problem lies.

I was ready to watch a whole lot of Olympics. Unfortunately, my cable package did not include all of the specific channels required to see all of your coverage. And due to this, I was also unable to watch the events on your website. I was not about to fork over to my cable company for 3 additional channel packages (in addition to the two I already pay for) for the 3 channels I was missing. (It was also spectacularly unclear that this was why I was unable to watch online. I had to research on several different sites to realize this was the problem, because I was never given an error message directing me to an actual solution.)

I would, however, have been willing to pay you directly for access to your web coverage. Put a payment option on your website for access to live web streams next time, and I - and I imagine many others - will gladly pay for it. Your TV partners may chafe at the notion, but if so, tell them to get off their asses and allow people to reasonably subscribe to your Olympics coverage channels without requiring them to buy into 5 or more packages. I'd also accept this option.

The current coverage was an absolute nightmare for anyone on FIOS. I imagine this is because you want to protect your investment in Comcast. If you're willing to torpedo your Olympic ratings to protect that investment, go right the fuck ahead, I guess.

Anth0ny

I don't think it's sports that are less ingrained into young people. Football, basketball, soccer, hockey... the major sports are all still huge, and some are bigger than ever, numbers wise.

I do think there is less of an appeal for people to watch their country compete in a bunch of sports no one really cares about. Swimming? Track and field? No one gives a FUCK about these sports during the 4 years between the Olympics. Why would we suddenly give a shit now? because the networks say so?

I feel like the Olympics name and branding holds a very special appeal to older generations. My mom despises sports, but watched the Olympics religiously for the last two weeks. Like... more hardcore than I watch basketball, which I actively follow. But I can guarantee you that she isn't going to look into any of these Canadian divers or runners or swimmers at ALL between now and the next Olympics.

so while these older generations will still tune in every four years to watch no matter what... I get the feeling the younger audiences are asking "Wait, why do I care about these events?"

jett

D-Member
Serves NBC right. Garbage coverage.

I watched on CBC's website, every day. Flawless.

That’s why NBC parent Comcast Corp. paid $12 billion for exclusive U.S. broadcast rights to the Olympics through 2032.

lol.

ViciousDS

Banned
sports less ingrained in the demographic? I would say its probably never been higher......basketball is at an all time high at least. Everyone and there mother knows who stephen curry is and my little brother and all his friends love playing, watching basketball.

When it comes to the olympics......eh, when they get older they will get into it.

But fuck comcast and fuck NBC

NBC.....like their parent company comcast......try use easy ways to make money and don't ever want to adjust or plan for the future. Time to start now if you want that contract to be worth anything. But, who am I kidding......they are absolutely a garbage tier company that can rot for all I care.

If you're pre-emptively predicting problems due to the millenials snapchatting and facebooking their vidyas, then you've got no excuse. You saw the problem coming and you didn't try to do anything about it. Next time adapt your strategy to capture that market.

gcubed

bolded basically the entire article but ---

NBC charged up to 50 percent higher rates for internet ads than for TV because the web audience trends younger and marketers are eager to reach millennials, Lazarus said, and there was little trouble selling spots on both platforms. NBC said its profit from the London games was about $120 million, and that it sold more than $1.2 billion in commercials this year and expects to even bigger earnings than four years ago.

A-V-B

Their ratings wouldn't be so bad if the olympics were shown live. As it stands, people already know what's up long before it airs, so they generally don't bother and check out highlights later on youtube.

numble

Serves NBC right. Garbage coverage.

I watched on CBC's website, every day. Flawless.

lol.

The $12 billion is fine as long as they make a profit, and they still are making it a profitable endeavor.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-olympics-rio-nbc-idUSKCN10M2B0

Comcast Corp's NBCUniversal expects to generate record profits from coverage of the Rio Olympics despite so far losing a U.S. ratings battle compared to the Games four years ago.

An average of 30.3 million people have watched NBC's television networks and digital platforms during prime time on each of the first five days of competition, according to Nielsen data provided by the network.

That's an 8.6 percent drop from the audience watching NBC during the 2012 London Olympics, raising questions about why the audience is shrinking when there is more programming than ever on computers and mobile phones.

But NBC Sports Group Chairman Mark Lazarus on Thursday said the audience size is in line with the network's expectations about changing viewer habits. Before the games started, the company had said it could top the $120 million profit from the 2012 Olympics. That is still the case, Lazarus said.

"This will be our most economically successful Games," Lazarus confirmed to reporters on a conference call.

Lothar

Banned
That's exactly how much of the world does it, so what's the big deal? It's not as if most people can't find out results trivially anyways. In any case, this is only an example of NBC's poor attitude towards Olympic coverage. Their presentation is garbage even without the tape delay.

How would showing it live when everyone was at work have helped the ratings though?

I thought their coverage was fine except the commercials.

4Tran

How would showing it live when everyone was at work have helped the ratings though?
There is a decent-sized potential audience outside of the primetime hours, and what NBC was doing was tape delaying live events on the West Coast. Showing more events live wouldn't automatically increase their ratings, but doing so would mean that they would also have to change the way their programming appeals to the different demographics. And it's this latter part that has a chance at those better ratings.

zer0das

Banned
I like how anyone who doesn't want to watch the Olympics is in a Facebook or Snapchat bubble. It's like he can't even comprehend someone being fully aware of the Olympics and just choosing not to watch it.

megalowho

I appreciated NBC's all basketball channel that played the Olympic fanfare during halftime instead of talking heads. They also hired Mike Gorman from the Celtics, who can call a classy game when Tommy's not around. Whoever ran that coverage gets a thumbs up from me at least.

Fj0823

Good.

Glorifying sports is something I really dislike, I wish that much coverage was given to science or history.

If sports are being taken over by eSports and SnapChat and Fleek whatever's, then they should go the full way with Japan. We already have anime, bring on the anime fighters!

I like how anyone who doesn't want to watch the Olympics is in a Facebook or Snapchat bubble. It's like he can't even comprehend someone being fully aware of the Olympics and just choosing not to watch it.
On top of that, I can't imagine a person who uses Facebook or does enough social stuff to use snapchat would be unaware of that angry Phelps meme, let alone the Olympics as a whole.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
NBC blaming US for their ratings when they initially blocked the west coast from seeing primetime events live? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. HA.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Zackat

Good.

Glorifying sports is something I really dislike, I wish that much coverage was given to science or history.

oh come on lol

Sport brings people together, it is part of the human condition to compete in athletics. Just as much as science and history make up the fabric of daily life, sport has its part to play as well.

That's too bad. Hopefully, NBC starts losing money on their Olympics venture.

They won't because they have exclusive rights, a monopoly so people have no choice but to watch and they are milking that fact.

I wouldn't be surprised if NBC tries to find a way to control the internet in attempts to curb Americans from pirating LIVE feed from CBC or BBC

Calamari41

41 > 38

I'm not a communications professional, but how about you show it live on a sister channel at 4 or 5 PM and then, if it's that big of a draw, show it again on the main NBC broadcast channel during prime time? How does the rest of the world, which apparently didn't see a viewership drop-off, do it?

I mean, they were interrupting tape-delayed-for-prime-time qualifiers to update us on Kerri and April's matches, which were happening live but slated to be shown hours later. That's just completely backward.

4Tran

They won't because they have exclusive rights, a monopoly so people have no choice but to watch and they are milking that fact.

I wouldn't be surprised if NBC tries to find a way to control the internet in attempts to curb Americans from pirating LIVE feed from CBC or BBC
The ratings went down significantly this year, so there's a chance that they'll drop even more for Pyeongchang and Tokyo. Only a small number of people use VPNs so there's not a whole lot of point in clamping down on them.

Ploid 3.0

What is TV?

I just guess fewer and fewer people care about the olympics in general. I hear the airing was delayed anyway, just catch highlights on the internet if you're going for a watch it when you feel like it approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom