• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMFG noooo...Virtua Fighter 2 on PS2 not 60fps! but more Model 2 ports on the way????

Sounds sweet - I've always wanted an arcade perfect copy of VF2. I'll be picking up my copy on launch day. At times like these I love living in Japan.

Socreges said:
Cue Lazy8s and dark10x in another pathetic struggle for absolutely nothing.

Then

Lazy8s said:
Those Model arcade boards stood out so far from the more conventional systems of the time that it's not surprising. This is like a satire of arcade purism.

dark10x said:
Wait, so what is the framerate? From the interview, it doesn't sound like it will be 30 fps or anything...

? I feel so let down. Pick it up fresh Monday, ok?

doncale

Banned
even with EA's owership of the Daytona lisence in the U.S., Daytona USA could still come out in Japan!

would then just need to get a Japanese PS2. or modchip

hell if Sega is having Last Bronx ported, then why not the far more popular Daytona (at least in japan) :D

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
doncale said:
Daytonnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it
Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it Bring it
SEGA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IAWTP to the 74636289450678462th degree!!!! But....I want it brought to Xbox with Live support. If not, they better give the PS2 version online play with Logitech force feedback steering wheel support. Then bring on the next phase....MODEL FUCKING 3!! Daytona 2 and Scud baby! Give it to me now! So I can bathe, lather and rinse with them!

doncale said:
even with EA's owership of the Daytona lisence in the U.S., Daytona USA could still come out in Japan!

Precisely! There has to be....I repeat....there HAS TO BE a way Sega can get around the licensing issue with Daytona USA! I mean, just call it "Dave's Tona" or "They Told Us" or something like that.

Sho Nuff

Banned
isamu said:
IAWTP to the 74636289450678462th degree!!!! But....I want it brought to Xbox with Live support. If not, they better give the PS2 version online play with Logitech force feedback steering wheel support. Then bring on the next phase....MODEL FUCKING 3!! Daytona 2 and Scud baby! Give it to me now! So I can bathe, lather and rinse with them!

Precisely! There has to be....I repeat....there HAS TO BE a way Sega can get around the licensing issue with Daytona USA! I mean, just call it "Dave's Tona" or "They Told Us" or something like that.

YES!!! AND IT MUST HAVE THE SHITTY MONOCHROMATIC TEXTURES AND HORRIBLE POP-IN OF THE ARCADE GAME!...er...wait...must it?

Shinobi

doncale said:

Unless EA snapped up the NASCAR and Daytona licenses for the entire world. It's possible.

If I'm Sega, the way I get around it is making a new stock car arcade game, call it "Days of Thunder" under license from Paramount (and before anyone says there's no point using such an old license, we've been seeing Top Gun games for almost twenty years now), and then throw the first two Daytona games into the package under say, Days of Thunder '94 and '98, or whatever. The Daytona lyrics could stay though...EA would have no grounds to sue for that.

As for the Indy 500 Codemasters has that one sewn up, as part of their IRL licesne.

TheGreenGiant said:
it will probably do okay in Japan and bomb in the US and everywhere else. Old fugly games do not appeal (except it they're Nintendo)

If Sega thinks they can do a Nintendo and make $$$$, they are wrong.

:lol TGG's either piss drunk, on a dare, or being a complete idiot.

Argyle

Just a couple of quick notes here...

Lazy8s said:
Those Model arcade boards stood out so far from the more conventional systems of the time that it's not surprising. This is like a satire of arcade purism.

57Hz is actually not uncommon for arcade boards, I know a lot of Midway/Atari boards drove the monitors at that refresh rate...

It'll be interesting to see how they're going to do it on a TV, given that I don't think they have low-level enough control of the CRTC to run 57.5 Hz refresh (not only that, I imagine that some TV's won't play ball with that signal...)

Lazy8s said:
Makes me wonder about the PS2 Decathlete conversion - I doubt they'll match the 704 lines of vertical resolution that the Saturn version, which used the same display mode as VF2 Saturn, performed.

Actually Decathlete has 240 lines (480 interlaced) vertical, it's impossible to display 704 actual vertical lines on an NTSC display. (The PS2 can display XGA 1024x768 to a VGA monitor, but that's neither here nor there.)

You're thinking about the horizontal resolution - and it should be noted that small differences in horizontal resolution are nearly imperceptible on a television set.

Saturnman

Banned
jarrod said:
Did someone say list?

-Behind Enemy Lines (Sega/EPL Prodcutions)
-Cyber Troopers Virtual On (Sega/AM3)
-Daytona USA (Sega/AM2)
-Dead or Alive (Tecmo/Team Ninja)
-Dead or Alive Plus (Tecmo/Team Ninja)
-Desert Tank (Sega/AM2)
-Dynamite Baseball (Sega/AM1)
-Dynamite Baseball '97 (Sega/AM1)
-Dynamite Cop (Sega/AM1)
-Fighting Vipers (Sega/AM2)
-Gunblade NY: Special Air Assault Force (Sega/AM3)
-Indy 500 (Sega/AM1)
-Last Bronx (Sega/AM3)
-Manx TT SuperBike (Sega/AM3)
-Motor Raid (Sega/AM1)
-Over Rev (Jaleco)
-Pilot Kids (Psikyo)
-Rail Chase 2 (Sega/AM3)
-Sega Ski Super G (Sega/AM1)
-Sega Rally Championship (Sega/AM3)
-Sega Touring Car Championship (Sega/AM3)
-Sega Water Ski (Sega/AM1)
-Sky Target (Sega/AM1)
-Sonic Championship (Sega/AM2)
-The House of the Dead (Sega/AM1)
-Top Skater (Sega/AM3)
-Super GT 24H (Jaleco)
-Virtua Cop (Sega/AM2)
-Virtua Cop 2 (Sega/AM2)
-Virtua Fighter 2 (Sega/AM2)
-Virtua Fighter 2.1 (Sega/AM2)
-Virtua Striker (Sega/AM2)
-Wave Runner (Sega/AM1)
-Zero Gunner (Psikyo)

Out of all those tiles, they should only bother converting those:

Virtual On
Fighting Vipers
Indy 500 (super kicky fast)
Gunblade NY (most intense gun game ever)
Sonic Championship
Virtua Cop 1 & 2 (still top notch)
Virtua Striker
House of the Dead (classic)
VF2
Sega Rally (the best Rally game ever made)
Daytona USA (concentrated awesomeness)
Dead or Alive
Top Skater (fun game, but I am not sure how good it would be without the skateboard controller)
Last Bronx
Manx TT

Do not bother to disagree with me, I am the Saturnman and my word is law when it comes to Sega. :p

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Saturnman said:
Do not bother to disagree with me, I am the Saturnman and my word is law when it comes to Sega. :p

That's ma nigga!! Preach that shit Saturnman!!!
jam.gif

Saturnman

Banned
That damned avatar was sucking all the bandwidth from my server. I'm back to René Dif, leeched off from some other site, no less. Aqua forever! :)

Schmev

Banned
Is there any way to tell whether a Japanese game is CD or DVD? With CD, I'm almost assured of being able to use the swap method for loading a game like say, Virtua Racing Sega Ages....so can anyone tell whether VF2 for PS2 is CD or DVD?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Saturnman said:
That damned avatar was sucking all the bandwidth from my server. I'm back to René Dif, leeched off from some other site, no less. Aqua forever! :)

imageshack.us is your friend.

Saturnman said:
Out of all those tiles, they should only bother converting those:

Virtual On
Fighting Vipers
Indy 500 (super kicky fast)
Gunblade NY (most intense gun game ever)
Sonic Championship
Virtua Cop 1 & 2 (still top notch)
Virtua Striker
House of the Dead (classic)
VF2
Sega Rally (the best Rally game ever made)
Daytona USA (concentrated awesomeness)
Dead or Alive
Top Skater (fun game, but I am not sure how good it would be without the skateboard controller)
Last Bronx
Manx TT

IAWTP

Back to my prior statement regarding Saturn ports, do you know what really needs to be ported since the Saturn version was sorta lacking? Sega Touring Car. That game gets no respect, yet it's truly awesome.

FortNinety said:
Back to my prior statement regarding Saturn ports, do you know what really needs to be ported since the Saturn version was sorta lacking? Sega Touring Car. That game gets no respect, yet it's truly awesome.

As a Saturn game "Sega Touring Car" wasn't that bad of a game. The game did have frame rate issues, but was Fun. I have never seen the arcade version. How close was the Saturn Port?

Miburou

Were Model 2 games such as VF2 displayed in interlace or progressive mode?

Seems kind of strange for the PS2 port to stick to the arcade's quirky frame rate. Is that even going to look good on a TV?

sonic4ever said:
As a Saturn game "Sega Touring Car" wasn't that bad of a game. The game did have frame rate issues, but was Fun. I have never seen the arcade version. How close was the Saturn Port?

Funny you say those things since that's was why I said earlier that a conversion of Sega Rally was a bit unnecessary since the Saturn version was so close when compared with the arcade counterpart (with the only thing lacking being analogue support, but those with NiGHTS controllers knew how to get around that).

Well I've played Sega Touring Car and the Saturn version is sadly not that close. Sega Rally stayed at pretty rock solid 30, which not 60 like the arcade, made things playable. Touring Car on the other hand goes between 10-30 every few seconds. And considering the speed of the vehicles (I still say Touring Car is one of the fastest racers of all time) it made things damn near unplayable.

Also, the arcade version was just fucking pretty. The colors and texture quality was mud at home. I'd like to see a home conversion since no one has really gotten a chance to enjoy the arcade feeling, or anything close to it.

Shinobi

sonic4ever said:

It had the speed down pat...both versions remain two of the fastest conventional racers in existance. Redraw was handled very well. Those are all the positives. :lol I could still play it, but the framey as fuck visuals were beyond ugly.

Personally I'd rather see these games ported to PSP...that way it'd give me a reason to snag it. But if they were to all show up on PS2, that wouldn't bother me either. But it would take a while.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
yeah, the arcade version of touring car is terrific. i've only seen the machine once, at the gameworks in las vegas, but i spent a tidy sum of money on it. saturn version seemed unplayable even at the time of its release, nevermind how it'd come off now.

sega really needs to do a better job of curating and rereleasing all their old arcade assets. namco and midway have done good business with their classics packs, and sega's catalogue is at least as rich. this vf2 port could be the turning point. or it could be a fleeting moment of lucidity amid all the botched ports and inept remakes. probably the latter.

isamu

I heard Sega Touring Car is the toughest, most unforgiving Sega arcade racer of all time. I hear the music rocks though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
isamu said:
I heard Sega Touring Car is the toughest, most unforgiving Sega arcade racer of all time. I hear the music rocks though.

I'm feeling hiiiiigh, so hiiiiiigh, like the sun up in the skyyyyyy...
Oh I've never felt like this before so high
so hiiiiiigh, when I look into your eyeeesss
Yeah, I've never felt like this before so high

Heh, I always loved that song for some reason. :p

Shinobi

isamu said:

Both statements are correct...though I think I'm better in this game then Daytona or Super GT for some blasted reason. And the music simply rules.

What I want now is a Naomi 3 powered Sega Rally 3. Nothing else will matter after that.

ourumov

I have the SS version and I can't play it due to the speed of the game...It even gets worse due to the fact that my PAL SS is 60Hz-forced and that the game was PAL-optimized which makes the game fast as HELL.

doncale

Banned
I would still love a direct port of Sega Rally. while the Saturn conversion was very good, it wasn't all that close to the arcade, naturally, since Saturn was not even remotely the same as Model 2.

Saturn
sega_rally__1.jpg

[imghttp://www.gamezero.com/team-0/final_word/saturn/sega_rally__2.jpg[/img]

Model 2 Arcade
http://www.system16.com/sega/hrdw_model2a.html
http://www.arcadeflyers.com/index.php?page=flyerdb&subpage=thumbs&id=959
http://www.arcadeflyers.com/index.php?page=flyerdb&subpage=thumbs&id=961
http://www.arcadeflyers.com/index.php?page=flyerdb&subpage=thumbs&id=962
http://www.arcadeflyers.com/index.php?page=flyerdb&subpage=thumbs&id=963

Argyle

Back on the topic of Model 2...what was Dead or Alive Plus? I know Tecmo ported the PS1 version of DOA back to the arcade, was that it? (Hrm, it probably was, now that I think about it, it was called Dead or Alive++...) Or was it some kind of EPROM update for the Model 2 DOA?

Oh yeah, and Indy 500 and Sega Touring Car? I honestly never thought much of those games, perhaps because I never "got it" the way I got Sega Rally and Daytona...

It would be nice to get good home conversions of the gun games, though...never tried the Virtua Cop for PS2 (anyone? was it good?) and HOTD has never come home in good shape (PC and Saturn, IIRC - Saturn port was respectable at least)...

Argyle said:
Back on the topic of Model 2...what was Dead or Alive Plus? I know Tecmo ported the PS1 version of DOA back to the arcade, was that it? (Hrm, it probably was, now that I think about it, it was called Dead or Alive++...) Or was it some kind of EPROM update for the Model 2 DOA?

Oh yeah, and Indy 500 and Sega Touring Car? I honestly never thought much of those games, perhaps because I never "got it" the way I got Sega Rally and Daytona...

It would be nice to get good home conversions of the gun games, though...never tried the Virtua Cop for PS2 (anyone? was it good?) and HOTD has never come home in good shape (PC and Saturn, IIRC - Saturn port was respectable at least)...

are you telling me the Saturn version of "House of the Dead" was better then the PC??!! Just the other day I was wishing they had included the pc version of "House of the Dead" in House of the Dead 3.

BioFan

I want sega's jurrasic park games and star wars pod race on the home consoles so bad.
shim.gif

img_2_620.jpg

16189101.jpg

16209501.jpg

16209502.jpg

I know they are not model 2 games... :D

anyway speaking of those model 2 games, I can't wait for a perfect port of Last bronx. It was and is one of my favourite fighting game.

doncale

Banned
I'd kill for an exact port of Virtual On Cyber Troopers. the Saturn version is meant to be ok (never played it) and the PC PowerVR1 accelerated version was said to be closer and better but never played that either. i heard the gameplay is more strategic and not quite as close-up, like a fighting game, as it is on VOOT.

xsarien

daedsiluap
doncale said:
I'd kill for an exact port of Virtual On Cyber Troopers. the Saturn version is meant to be ok (never played it) and the PC PowerVR1 accelerated version was said to be closer and better but never played that either. i heard the gameplay is more strategic and not quite as close-up, like a fighting game, as it is on VOOT.

You know, since Sega's so intent on digging into their archives for easy cash, who do I have to fellate to get them to consider a console version of Rad Mobile?

I mean yeah, it wasn't the greatest game Sega ever released, but I liked the little details: The wipers, the headlights, the stupid Sonic doll dangling from the rear-view mirror...

Trojan X

Banned
Actually, Ferrari F355 challenge was the most toughest and unforgiving racer of all time. Yes, Sega Touring Car Championship had the best music ever on a Sega arcade game.

Yusaku

Shinobi said:
It had the speed down pat...both versions remain two of the fastest conventional racers in existance. Redraw was handled very well. Those are all the positives. :lol I could still play it, but the framey as fuck visuals were beyond ugly.

Personally I'd rather see these games ported to PSP...that way it'd give me a reason to snag it. But if they were to all show up on PS2, that wouldn't bother me either. But it would take a while.

Sega Touring Car had some of the worst texture swimming I've ever seen. The road looked like water.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
xsarien said:
You know, since Sega's so intent on digging into their archives for easy cash, who do I have to fellate to get them to consider a console version of Rad Mobile?

before you run off and suck some dicks, you should be advised that there's a port on saturn, though it was never released in the states. it's called "gale racer," as presumably was the arcade game in japan.

doncale

Banned
I heard 'Gale Racer' was a poor port of Rad Mobile

OK, I just took a look at Rad Mobile via Modeler and found that the draw
distance of the arcade version is about twice as far as the Saturn game Gale
racer, which is good for the original, and obviously bad for the port.
Sonic doesn't move any differently in the arcade version. Also, Rad Mobile
has engine sounds for other cars and such, while Gale Racer only has a cheap
engine sound for your own car. Kinda dissapointing, but the game is still
fully playable as it is.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=DFCab.13039$3%6.10152@nwrddc03.gnilink.net&output=gplain

This is a short review of a just-released car racing title called
GALE RACER, for Saturn.

After being very impressed with my Saturn + Virtua Fighter for a week now,
I've decided to get another title, a car racing game called GALE RACER,
just released by Sega. I bought it today where I've bought my Saturn,
and the price there was about 5,600 YEN.

GALE RACER is the Saturn version of "Rad Mobile", an arcade game that
created expectable stir in local video arcade two years ago. Unlike DAYTONA
USA or RIDGERACER that concentrates on reallife 3-D rendered graphics, this
game can be described as an oldfashion Drive-towards-the-horizon kind,
much like Sega's OUTRUN or Atari's POLE POSITION ( with first-person
perspective).

The concept of this game is to drive a customized sportscar (Rad Mobile),
across the USA (from LA to NY). Between those two cities you must bypass major
states and cities (e.g. LasVegas, Columbus etc.) within a limited amount of
time. You must pass through civilian cars and trucks, and also some of your
competing Rad Mobiles. In some areas you must run through night, rain, cliffs,
steep curves, railroads etc. If you beat the time limit within each area, you
are allowed to challenge the next.

You control your car via Saturn's 6-button JoyPad for steering, brakes,
accel, wipers, front lights, and horns. When it rains you may use the wipers,
and when it's night you can turn-on the front lights for a better sight. Your
car has 3 gauges on the dashboard including the speedometer, although you
really won't need it since your speed (shown in Kilometers per Hour) will be
displayed in digital numbers at lower-right side of your screen.

The graphics are semi-3D, meaning not much of a rendered polygons. Not
much of a difference compared to OUTRUN, and the graphic resolution is
jaggy, maybe worse than some old-VGA games. While you drive, the background
music plays (most of them being hardrock) from CD and you may select your
favorite themes from the list while you drive. You may also drive against
your friend in V.S. mode, first player's screen on upper half, other being
on lower half of the screen.

So, enough of these craps. The conclusion is, "Don't buy GALE RACER".
This was one of the worst arcade-conversion I've ever seen in my entire life.
Although the sound effects and musics are good, the graphics are very poor,
the game concept is out-dated, and the gameplay is dead. This game can
compete Atari 2600's ENDURO, but nothing else. If you want to play GALE RACER
on Saturn, I suggest Virtua Racing for Genesis.
This really was a bad job done by Sega.

My rating for GALE RACER is: B+ for sound, D+ for graphics, F for playablity.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=786445850snx@JAMIGA.IIJNET.OR.JP

however, Shin Force has a rather glowingly good review of it

> Gale Racer was the first game for Sega's System 32 arcade board, way back in 1991. You probably know it by the U.S. name, which is Rad Mobile. I'm not really sure which design team made this game, but it's a good bet a high profile arcade game like this was created by AM2.
> The game is very similar to Out Run in that you're racing against the clock to make it to the next checkpoint. One difference is that you're competing against rivals. The 3D effect is generated by scaling bit maps, which at the time, were state of the art. A nice touch was the use of headlights and wipers on certain levels.

> The game is mostly English and a breeze for importing -- that is if you can find this gem. I got mine shortly after getting my Saturn (1995), so as to make sure I didn't miss out on this retro favorite. Good thing too, since the game never made the trip to North America.

Graphics
> Graphics are identical to the arcade in every way. All the high speed scaling, detailed sprites (for the time), high resolution (for the time), various locales (across the U.S.), and demos are exact. Even the headlight and rain/wiper effects are duplicated with ease on the Saturn. The CG cut scenes are way cool to watch, and a sweet addition to this arcade gem.

Control
> Control with the Arcade Racer is as close to the arcade as we're likely to get. Using the other
available controllers isn't too bad, but the NiGHTS 3D Pad is ace for this game. You have a gas pedal, brake, lights and wipers at your fingertips. All you have to do is negotiate each round in the allotted time, avoid the cops (occasionally), and pass as many rivals as possible.

Sound
> Music and sound effects are arcade exact. Decent for the time, but lagging in the present. There are some new songs as well, which are much better than the original score. Also, I wouldn't put the tunes in the same light as Out Run, but at least you will not be looking for the volume control.

Fun
> The game is as fun now as it was in 1991. However, Gale Racer doesn't have the depth as games like Formula One WC (Sega CD), since it only has one car and no Championship Mode. You do get a choice of Speed Race (arcade), 2 Player Vs., and Time Attack modes though. Racing fans "Start your engines and get ready for a trip down memory lane!!".

Bottom Line
> If you like the arcade version and/or are into retro games, then look no further because Gale Racer / Rad Mobile is exact! There isn't much depth, but Out Run fans will probably love it nonetheless. I've seen it for sale on ebay a few times so you just might get lucky. (-_-

Overall: 8.0 | Graphics: 8.5 | Control: 8.5 | Sound: 7.5 | Fun: 7.5

http://www.shinforce.com/saturn/reviews/GaleRacer/GaleRacer.htm

xsarien

daedsiluap
drohne said:
before you run off and suck some dicks, you should be advised that there's a port on saturn, though it was never released in the states. it's called "gale racer," as presumably was the arcade game in japan.

To be perfectly honest about it, getting Rad Mobile on the PS2 would be a hell of a lot easier.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It had the speed down pat...both versions remain two of the fastest conventional racers in existance.

Man, I dunno...

Burnout 3 is EXTREMELY fast. I'm shocked at just HOW fast it can be. When driving with the fastest series of cars through those streets, it's an absolute rush. Oddly enough, I'm using some Touring Car music with the game via custom soundtracks. :p

Shinobi

Argyle said:

Yeah, DOA++ was the System 11/PSX based version. I always preferred the Model 2 and Saturn look to that version...I remember the heated debates about which console version looked better. Ah, those were the days...well, not really.

Agreed about Indy 500...never got into it. That game probably came out at the worst time in some ways, as it was right around the time CART/Champ Car and IRL had that infamous split. American open wheel racing was huge prior to that split, even bigger then a still growing NASCAR. Now it's nothing but a shell, while NASCAR is second only to the NFL in viewership.

And it's funny about HOTD1...so many people thought this was a Model 3 game when it first came out, despite the trademark grey textures and hues that was a staple of Model 2 games. The arcade version looked incredible for the time though...that they even attempted a Saturn version still amazes me, cause from what I recall it was a pixelated mess. Still, it was playable.

Ports of the Star Wars and Jurrasic Park games aren't likely, since they're both licensed properties. Unless Sega plans to make Star Wars and JP games in the next couple years, and include those arcade games with them as bonuses, I wouldn't expect to see them.

Shinobi

I'd love to see a perfect port of Rad Mobile...it's one Sega arcade racer I never played for some reason. Probably because I was too damn poor at the time.

If I'm Sega, I'd port my entire Model 2 and 3 collection to PSP in two or three game packs, while I'd use the Nintendo DS to release the entire catalouge of System 16 and 32 games in similiar two or three game pack fashion (I would love to play a perfect OutRunners, which for me was the only true OutRun sequel before OR2 and badly underrated). I'd buy both handhelds in a heartbeat, and they would receive much love. Otherwise my interest in both handhelds are less then nil.

Trojan X said:
Actually, Ferrari F355 challenge was the most toughest and unforgiving racer of all time. Yes, Sega Touring Car Championship had the best music ever on a Sega arcade game.

Hmmm, good point...forgot all about F355. I never even bothered with the clutch/stick mode, though the F1 shift paddles were fun as hell to use.

Yusaku said:
Sega Touring Car had some of the worst texture swimming I've ever seen. The road looked like water.

:lol It was far from the most attractive looking game ever, that's for sure. I think the worst thing about that game was the rear view mirror, which was pointless...all that did was slow the game up even more. Had they taken that out, maybe it could've run closer to a consistent 30fps, which would've helped tremendously. Still the visual detail was always going to be sacrificed if they hoped to keep the speed of the arcade game, which was always the game's selling point (Daytona suffered from this as well).

dark10x said:
Man, I dunno...

Burnout 3 is EXTREMELY fast. I'm shocked at just HOW fast it can be. When driving with the fastest series of cars through those streets, it's an absolute rush. Oddly enough, I'm using some Touring Car music with the game via custom soundtracks. :p

Oh I'm sure it's been beat by a few games (Rage Racer appears to compete with it from all accounts), but not by many. Burnout 3 certainly appears to be the all time conventional racer speed champ though.

Rlan

I can't see How Star Wars Trilogy could make a port, since you had to use that left/right lightsabre.

If they really intend to make a Jurassic Park 4, a port and graphical upgrade of the shoot-em-up wouldn't go too badly. It was just a shooter wasn't it, or did it use a special controller?

I loved Virtual On for the Saturn, I found the controllers to be so much better than the Arcade or the Dreamcast version, it suited the control better.

It's a shame Virtual On Marz did terribly, but it was a bit of a dodgy game, wasn't it? There was barely any hype around it either.

SEGA really started off the generation with a bang on the Dreamcast, They started a load of new franchises in those first 2-3 years, but the whole system got cluttered when they went 3rd party. Heres to hoping they start anew with the PS3/XboxNext/GCRev, and rebuild from there.

Saturnman

Banned
Trojan X said:

No and no.

F355 may be unforgiving, but I can always tell when I will hit the grass or a wall. I don't consider it unfair. Just follow a rigid racing line and take corners at precise speed and you you will rank in the top 3 racer in almost everytime. I consider games like Super GT harder because the powersliding requires a lot of finesse.

And Daytona USA and Super GT have better soundtracks than STC. I'd say both Sega Rally do too. :)

Shinobi

I think Super GT's soundtrack is tops, then OutRun, Sega Touring Car, followed equally by the Daytona 1 and Sega Rally 1 & 2 scores.

And your Super GT/drifting comment has merit as well...hmmm. Keep going back and fourth on this.

XS+

Banned
I don't really think Super GT is any more difficult than F355. They both require knowing the top speed at which to take turns so you don't spin out and screw up your position in the race. If I had to give either game the edge I'd give it to F355-- the cars are the same and they accel the same, so the only way to win is to drive smarter or block your opponents path (in SCUD Race all you have to do is drive the beastly McLaren to rocket into first :) ). Plus certain tracks in F355 have more narrow roads and ridiculously sharp turns that you simply can't improvise your way out of. Tracks in SCUD Race are wide open and turns are slightly more forgiving (even the hairpins).

isamu

Shinobi said:
(I would love to play a perfect OutRunners, which for me was the only true OutRun sequel before OR2 and badly underrated).

Tell me about it. OutRunners is incredibly underrated and never got the acclaim it should have in the arcades. But in the face of Ridge Racer and Daytona USA I'm not too surprised. I believe OutRunners was the very last 2D arcade driving game ever made...no?

Shinobi said:
Hmmm, good point...forgot all about F355. I never even bothered with the clutch/stick mode, though the F1 shift paddles were fun as hell to use.

Indeed. The immersion you get whilst sitting in the deluxe cockpit is unrivaled. The gear shift and clutch were badass. The three monitor setup was great...though I was a bit distracted by the amount of space between them. I think the closer you can get 3 montiors to join together the more convincing it will be.

Shinobi said:
Oh I'm sure it's been beat by a few games (Rage Racer appears to compete with it from all accounts), but not by many. Burnout 3 certainly appears to be the all time conventional racer speed champ though.

Rage Racer is definitely up there and can still hold its own when it cums to sense of speed. There was nothing like racing the oval track in those secret super cars...especially the Batmobile-ish looking one. And the 30fps believe it or not actually helped give the game even more sense of speed.

Saturnman said:
I consider games like Super GT harder because the powersliding requires a lot of finesse.

You know, it's funny you mention this. Although I have played a good amount of the game, I never really had the opportunity to invest the amount of time required to get good at it and place first in any of the tracks(hence the reason why I'd love an Xbox port :) ). But when I used to play it I would always be reminded of the comments I read in Next Generation Magazine's review of the game...something to the tune of "Super GT's handling is very realistic and required dedication. Powerslides cannot be fudged like they can in Daytona USA".

Saturnmann is the first person I've seen make a comment acknowledging the deepness within Super GT's vehicle handling and after watching the vids at TeamMarukaru.com, you are so correct. Powersliding does indeed require a lot of finesse. It's a shame many people never saw past the game's stunning visuals. They invested a few quarters into the cabinet then wrote it off as some sort of Daytona wannabe clone or something. The game needs to brought home and done justice!

Shinobi said:
I think Super GT's soundtrack is tops.

I usually despise videogame racing music, but having watched the TeamMarubaku.com vids so many times now, I cannot get the song from the beginner night stage outta my head.

At first I was fooled into thinking the woman singing was black. But after listening to it it's appearant she's Japanese. It's especially appearant with the background singer :lol

"You gotta get awa-hey-heeeey...Yoooouuuu know where you *reary* waaaaannaaa goooo!!!":lol

SuperGT is pure class!

isamu

XS+ said:
I've only praised SCUD Race's glorious drifting system a million fucking times on this forum..

My bad dawg....didn't mean to leave you out the spotlight. :)

TrajonX also appears to have a pretty good knowledge of the game as well.

Top Bottom