• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMFG noooo...Virtua Fighter 2 on PS2 not 60fps! but more Model 2 ports on the way????

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
-----------------------------------------

XS+

Banned
Another thing about the F355/SCUD comparison, I don't think any other Sega racer punishes you for straying off-track (and into grass/dirt) as much as the two mentioned games. By comparison, you don't lose much speed at all in Outrun2 when you run into the grass (especially when drifting). I'd say SCUD and F355 are cut from the same cloth in terms of unforgiving difficulty.

Is it fair to say that SCUD Race and F355 are the toughest games in Sega's 3D arcade racing library, or am I missing another one? (like say Indy 500, I only played that game once)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
By the way XS+...would you, or anyone else happen to know how many linkable players the Scud Race cab supports? I read in next gen a long time ago that though the majority of cabs you see in the US are the twin version, the game actually has code for more than two players. Can anyone go more into detail about this? I know Daytona USA 2 supports upto 16.

XS+

Banned
Isamu: The largest setup I've seen for SCUD Race was 8 cabinets linked together. Don't know if the game supports more than that, but I kind of doubt it does. That's all I can tell you, sorry.

Brofist

XS+ said:
Is it fair to say that SCUD Race and F355 are the toughest games in Sega's 3D arcade racing library, or am I missing another one? (like say Indy 500, I only played that game once)

screen_1.jpg

doncale

Banned
Isamu - the arcade in Gurnee Mills mall (in Gurnee, IL. near Six Flags) near me has 3 linked Daytona USA 2 cabs. I cannot imagine any reasonably sized arcade having 16 linked cabs. it would be awesome to see such a sight. are there any specific places that have a 16-cab Daytona USA 2 setup in North America?

isamu

doncale said:
Isamu - the arcade in Gurnee Mills mall (in Gurnee, IL. near Six Flags) near me has 3 linked Daytona USA 2 cabs. I cannot imagine any reasonably sized arcade having 16 linked cabs. it would be awesome to see such a sight. are there any specific places that have a 16-cab Daytona USA 2 setup in North America?

Are you in California? What part? There is a Sega Gameworks here in Ontario(near Los Angeles where I live) that has a 4 player Daytona 2 setup. I asked the Sega coinup representitive how many cabs total can be linked together and he told me a max of 16. I will try to

Miburou

TheDiave said:
OMFG... GET OVER IT! It's VF2 in a much more faithful form than its Saturn representation; Which was pretty damn close.

I guess you didn't read past the thread title, huh?

doncale

Banned
yeah VF2 on PS2 looks good. didn't mean to critisize it, i even tried changing the subject title. VF2 on PS2 is probably 99.99% exact. whereas the Saturn VF2 was concidered good, even though it was technically like 30-40% (graphically).

Sho Nuff

Banned
Uh... I don't know how it's handling inputs, but as it was pointed out in another thread, NTSC games are technically limited to 60, 30, 15, or 10fps. "But film is 24fps!" you say; one in every three frames (?) is being interlaced with the previous one via a telecine, hence the whole kaboodle still runs at 60 fields per second.

I'm not doing the maths to figure out how to accommodate the Model 2 frame rate tho.

Saturnman

Banned
isamu said:
Saturnmann is the first person I've seen make a comment acknowledging the deepness within Super GT's vehicle handling and after watching the vids at TeamMarukaru.com, you are so correct. Powersliding does indeed require a lot of finesse. It's a shame many people never saw past the game's stunning visuals. They invested a few quarters into the cabinet then wrote it off as some sort of Daytona wannabe clone or something. The game needs to brought home and done justice!

I usually despise videogame racing music, but having watched the TeamMarubaku.com vids so many times now, I cannot get the song from the beginner night stage outta my head.

At first I was fooled into thinking the woman singing was black. But after listening to it it's appearant she's Japanese. It's especially appearant with the background singer :lol

"You gotta get awa-hey-heeeey...Yoooouuuu know where you *reary* waaaaannaaa goooo!!!":lol

SuperGT is pure class!

Yeah, respect the Sman.

So you like the beginner night stage music of Super GT. Wanna have the mp3? :)

Sho Nuff said:
Uh... I don't know how it's handling inputs, but as it was pointed out in another thread, NTSC games are technically limited to 60, 30, 15, or 10fps. "But film is 24fps!" you say; one in every three frames (?) is being interlaced with the previous one via a telecine, hence the whole kaboodle still runs at 60 fields per second.

I'm not doing the maths to figure out how to accommodate the Model 2 frame rate tho.

Huh? Say what? what the hell is this crap? That doesn't make any damn sense. There is nothing magical about outputting to NTSC that you have to go in those increments! Alot of games have varying frame rates throughout, but that's evident through NTSC!

Sho Nuff

Banned
Shogmaster said:
Huh? Say what? what the hell is this crap? That doesn't make any damn sense. There is nothing magical about outputting to NTSC that you have to go in those increments! Alot of games have varying frame rates throughout, but that's evident through NTSC!

I'm not enough of a tech head to explain how this works. Someone needs to PM Panajev or Faf to explain how this works.

Of course you can have wildly varying frame rates on a PC, but with NTSC you're limited by field retrace. It has to do with not being able to draw "half a field" (or maybe this is what happens when you see screen tearing)?

Drinky Crow sez: "You don't have 22 fps games. You have 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, and 60 fps games, all factors of 60 (Hz, the refresh rate of a TV)." Again, we need someone more skilled in this stuff to come in and clarify.

Miburou

If I'm not mistaken, you can run a game at any frame rate on a TV, but if it's not a multiple of 30 (on NTSC), it will be out of sync with the TV's refresh rate. That's why devs will make a game run at 30fps if they can't achieve 60fps, even if the game can run at 50fps or 40fps.

XS+

Banned
My old GAF username was RENO, not to be confused with the current GAF's Reno.

'RENO,' 'Reno'.. see the difference?

Miburou

Damn, I was wondering where you've been. These name changes are really confusing. You might remember me, I was The Snake on the old board.

So anyway, how's it going, and where are you now? I remember you saying that you're leaving in a couple of years or so (that was back when I was in Okinawa in 2001).

XS+

Banned
The Snake? I had no idea that was you all this time. You're sound a lot more serious and confrontational than you did under your previous moniker. I know Dark10x can be a lot to handle sometimes, ;) but maybe you should lighten up some on this forum.

I'm leaving here in 2005 and planning to help my mom start up a private business in NYC. That's just enough time for me to purchase a PSP and play all the new Taito Type-X shooters :) As I write this, I'm readying my goodbyes to all the friends I've made in Tokyo this past half-decade.

TheDiave

Banned
I guess you didn't read past the thread title, huh?
Uh... No? :D

It's releases like these that make me glad I've got an import PS2; That, and the Tekken series. I haven't bought the domestic release once, my TTT and T4 are imports.

Miburou

XS+ said:
The Snake? I had no idea that was you all this time. You're sound a lot more serious and confrontational than you did under your previous moniker. I know Dark10x can be a lot to handle sometimes, ;) but maybe you should lighten up some on this forum.

LOL, do I really seem that way? I'm certainly not taking this board seriously as I did before. :)

I'm leaving here in 2005 and planning to help my mom start up a private business in NYC. That's just enough time for me to purchase a PSP and play all the new Taito Type-X shooters :) As I write this, I'm readying my goodbyes to all the friends I've made in Tokyo this past half-decade.

That's cool. Well, good luck to you.

isamu

Saturnman said:
Yeah, respect the Sman.

So you like the beginner night stage music of Super GT. Wanna have the mp3? :)

jam.gif

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
isamu said:
Are you in California? What part? There is a Sega Gameworks here in Ontario(near Los Angeles where I live) that has a 4 player Daytona 2 setup. I asked the Sega coinup representitive how many cabs total can be linked together and he told me a max of 16. I will try to
isamu, I didn't know you lived in Socal too... Nice to know there are a few more GAF members are around the neighborhood :)

isamu

Defensor said:
isamu, I didn't know you lived in Socal too... Nice to know there are a few more GAF members are around the neighborhood :)

Definitely man. Gotta represent SoCal!

isamu

Shinobi

Miburou said:
You might remember me, I was The Snake on the old board.

Heh, damn...the more you know.

I'd really like the original Trance and Sega Sound versions of the Sega Touring Car tunes...the remixed versions in the Saturn game sounded lighter, and not nearly as cool.

Oh yeah, the track for the oval track in Super GT Plus (inside a house no less...it's a laugh riot) is incredibly cool.

ourumov

The Scud Race remix rocks...I always love that kind of "concatenations", just like in CvS2 EO with the Capcom stage theme remix.

Miburou

Heh, Shinobi. Well, we had some good arguments in the World Cup 2002 thread.

BTW, if that's surprising to you, check your PM.

Saturnman

Banned
Through an unanimous decision, the GA Committee of Sega Fans (GACoSF) wants to give the Sega fan of the week trophy to Isamu.

worlds-trophy.jpg

Congratulations, man.

Sorry, Sonic4ever, better luck next time. ;)

Saturnman said:
Through an unanimous decision, the GA Committee of Sega Fans (GACoSF) wants to give the Sega fan of the week trophy to Isamu.

worlds-trophy.jpg

Congratulations, man.

Sorry, Sonic4ever, better luck next time. ;)

LOL

isamu

*stands up*

"Thank you Thank you!"

:)

Xenon

I guess Sony is trying to reach the last few hold outs.... die hard sega fans.

I cant wait to get my hands on this game. To me, the VF series took a wrong turn after 2.

Xenon

With 3 they added more auto chained combos, flashy moves/throws, lighting effects when players are hit, and changed the look and feel of the game. I think the success of Tekken had a major effect on the look of the game and even the play to some extent.

Trojan X

Banned
"With 3 they added more auto chained combos..."
No they never. Elaborate just in case we might have misunderstood you. Also, if you know VF2 on a hardcore deep level then you should know that the things you can perform in the arcade version were damn RIDICULOUS! Example, have you see a 9 hit floating combo with AKIRA with plenty of sick traction techniques? Or how about KAGE's roll-out Sonic the Hedgehog ring out? Or how about Lau's one lift of doom where he combo's you completely out of the ring? Or how about Akira's 90-100% energy bar of death combo? If you know what I'm talking about then you can't say what you just said.

"...flashy moves/throws..."
Nothing wrong with more flashier moves and throw, why, most of those flashy moves actually make sense as oppose from Tekken's flashy moves so what do you prefer? Boring or bog standard moves?

"...lighting effects when players are hit..."
No, they started that on Virtua Fighter 4 not 3. Also there's nothing wrong with lightning effect on impact, besides it's much better than sparks.

"...changed the look and feel of the game...."
That's true, it was different from the previous Virtua Fighter games, but different in a good way and yet bad.

...I think the success of Tekken had a major effect on the look of the game and even the play to some extent..."
And so it should and as a hardcore VF fan I'm very glad that it did.

Now I'm not going to talk about SEGA I'm going to talk about Yutaka Suzuki (Yu Suzuki for those who don't know). What you have to know is that VF was missing one big thing, flair. VF series was way too mechanical and structural to keep the interest of many people. To be frank even I have to admit that most of the moves were pretty boring even if the fighting system was the best system ever devised for a fighting game. That's Yutaka's problem before, yes he is a programming god and everything but when it comes to the point of showing off and showing flair within his titles he cannot do it.

This is why he past VF to his younger generation of the AM2 team to which - thank god - they given that flair to all the characters in the game. The results are VF 4 Evolution and Final Tuned - no doubt the best 3D fighting games in the world.

Virtua Fighter series have changed for the better and with myself being a major VF fan from VF1 to VF4FT, I can honestly say that as much how the previous VF - in this case VF2 - are a classic there is no way I can honestly say that they can suppassed by any of the latest version efforts. So please take off your glasses and go and find out the reason why VF4 is the best 3D fighting game in Japan. It can't be ranked the best 3D fighting game ever for nothing.

doncale

Banned
I feel that a port of classic Model 2 Daytona, to PS2, Xbox or GC is more likely now than ever before! I can freaking feel it. not saying it will happen. just feels like it could.

isamu

Agreed. Let's hope AM2 feels the same way we do!

Xenon

So please take off your glasses and go and find out the reason why VF4 is the best 3D fighting game in Japan. It can't be ranked the best 3D fighting game ever for nothing.

I never said I didn't like VF4 or that it was a bad game. But I still wish they would have gone in a different direction with the games after VF2. To me the star of the Vf series was always the fighting styles and major differences of the way each character was played. Yes VF4 still continues with that... but for some reasons the characters don’t seem to be as different from one another as they used to be. Anyone who has played a fighting game can do pretty well with most characters except maybe Akira. In 2 they'd get their ass handed to them.

Enough about where they went, here is where I wished they would have gone.

Limb collision and better reactions to hits - not just canned animations but real physics of blocks, missed punches/kicks, being knocked off balance, having power adjusted by the connection, and whatever else you want to throw in here.

More realistic fighting... I mean that’s the title right Virtua Fighter? I'm not saying they should make the game 100% realistic but it would be great if they would have tried to make the game even more like the martial arts they were trying to emulate, not other arcade games.

Go to that next level - VF1 was the first 3d martial art game. VF2 was that concept perfected. VF3-4+ are little more than just finely chiseled, more detailed versions of the same concept.

You may disagree with me and that’s fine but that doesn't mean my opinion is invalid. Sure VF4 is the best 3d fighting game out there but considering the state of the fighting genre is that really saying much?

Oh yeah I have not tried EVO yet is it really that much different that 4?

Trojan X

Banned
... Ok this is definitely a case that you have to be shown what the goods are in order to accept it, because from everything that you've said above you've shown that you just don't know. But hey that's fine bro, that is why myself and certain other people are here for, to tell you how it is.

Ok for starters, just watch this video of VF4FT and tell us all what you think and how it initially compares to the previous VF's:

http://www.beat-tribe.com/movie/2004bay_05_0304.wmv

You will NOT be disappoint I think.

Top Bottom