• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On Friday Timmy D and Kobe play for the 78th time, who has had the better career?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abounder

Banned
Stop right there.

Shaq wasn't the one abusing the 5pur5 in the WCFs. All the people that give Shaq credit for the 3 championships focus on him destroying Rik Smits, Dikembe and whoever the Nets rolled out in the Finals and say he carried the Lakers to all those championships.

Shaq did what the most dominant big man in the game was supposed to do in the Finals: abuse centers that had no business being on the court with him. Those years, anyone could tell you, the Finals was won out West. The hardest test was out West.

Kings, 5pur5...that was the Lakers' biggest opponents...and guess who was abusing those two teams in those series...

Don't take my word for it. Go to YT. It's open 24 hours a day.

Spurs always did a solid job vs Shaq, they love the pick and roll like the Jazz did.

No one's saying the west isn't the best, what I did say is that Kobe had better and more dominant teams than Duncan's early 00's squads. During the Shaq era the Spurs were moving from an old Robinson and didn't have a Big 3, feel free to youtube. During the Gasol era the Spurs had McDyess, Kurt Thomas, and Matt Bonner. Duncan did not have a better team throughout his career, it goes in cycles.

Zeke

I'm a bias ass spurs fan from SA so I'm going with Timmy all day everyday and twice on Sunday. Timmy is humble, coachable, team first attitude and no off the court issues and won't throw teammates under the bus. SA loves Timmy and loves our spurs. I won't trade Timmy for the world. GO SPURS GO!

bionic77

Cedric's skills are greater than basketball. Have you seen his rap video for the classic "Flow On"? To pigeonhole him as just a "great basketball player" would be an insult. Like calling Prince just a "great musician".
That is a great comeback and it is God's honest truth.

It is frightening to think what Ced could have done in the NBA if he had applied more than 10% of his powers to just the game of basketball. Yes if that happened many of us would not have been born and the entertainment and music industries might have collapsed, but when you think of how well he could play basketball even with his eyes closed it boggles the mind to think what he could have done if he actually tried.

This is just one of those great debates that you are never going to get a consensus answer on. Like Kobe v. Duncan or who the 2nd best player on the Bulls in the 90s was (after Scottie).

Spurs always did a solid job vs Shaq, they love the pick and roll like the Jazz did.

No one's saying the west isn't the best, what I did say is that Kobe had better and more dominant teams than Duncan's early 00's squads. During the Shaq era the Spurs were moving from an old Robinson and didn't have a Big 3, feel free to youtube. Duncan did not have a better team throughout his career, it goes in cycles.

You handed the chips to Shaq like he was just carrying everyone, including Kobe through the playoffs.

That is patently wrong.

LOL. Like Kobe had the better team throughout his.

That is a great comeback and it is God's honest truth.

It is frightening to think what Ced could have done in the NBA if he had applied more than 10% of his powers to just the game of basketball. Yes if that happened many of us would not have been born and the entertainment and music industries might have collapsed, but when you think of how well he could play basketball even with his eyes closed it boggles the mind to think what he could have done if he actually tried.

This is just one of those great debates that you are never going to get a consensus answer on. Like Kobe v. Duncan or who the 2nd best player on the Bulls in the 90s was (after Scottie).

Kobe scored 81 to impress CC23 (who invented scoring 50).

Kobe is still waiting for that phone call.

Kill3r7

And none of those guys were considered great winners outside McHale. None of those guys were head and shoulders above their teamates when they won championships, in most cases never being the best player on a championship team. Only one definitely say that is Dirk and that was one year.

Now compare that to center where you had Russell, Shaq, Hakeem, Kareem.

PG where you have Magic Johnson, Thomas and Frazier.

SG you have Michael and Kobe after Shaq.

SF you have Bird and Lebron.

These are all guys IMO you can definitely say we're the driving forces behind championships where I don't think you see that argument very often for power forwards.

(And yeah before anyone comments, I realize everyone listed here had a great deal of help)

Okay I'll give you the quick breakdown of PFs in their prime

-Dirk was the best player on Dallas.
-TD was the best player on the Spurs.
-Barkley was the best player on the 76ers or Suns.
-Malone was 1a) to Stockon's 1b).
-Garnett was the best player on the Timberwolves.
-Webber was the best player on the Kings (might have won an NBA champion).
-Hayes for a long time was the best player on the Bullets.

I will concede that outside of Duncan not a single one of them is a top 10 player. But most of them fall in the top 30 players.

Abounder

Banned
You handed the chips to Shaq like he was just carrying everyone, including Kobe through the playoffs.

Where did I do that? I mentioned superior supporting cast and coaching as well, are you seriously going to take the early or late '00 Spurs over the Shaq and Gasol era Lakers? Just thinking about Richard Jefferson makes me angry, and that was such a hyped pickup too.

Spurs also swept the Lakers, and sorry those early 00's Spurs were not on the same level as the Shaq era Lakers. They were transitioning from a broken down David Robinson and did not have a big 3, meanwhile by comparison the Lakers were stacked with talent including a better coach and a blank check.

Same deal after the Pau Gasol trade: the entire western conference bitched at that trade because it put the Lakers on another tier, meanwhile Spurs were using Kurt thomas, Antonio Mcdyess, and Matt Bonner with a hobbled Duncan during the Gasol era.

If fans are implying that Duncan had a better team throughout his career, I simply cannot agree, it goes in cycles.

If you break it down they probably had a similar amount of championship caliber squads, but I would take a prime Shaq and Co. over Duncan's 03 and 99 squad run for sure, and probably more.

And this part was also mentioned above:

LOL. Like Kobe had the better team throughout his.

I said it went in cycles, we are in agreement.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Okay I'll give you the quick breakdown of PFs in their prime

-Dirk was the best player on Dallas.
-TD was the best player on the Spurs.
-Barkley was the best player on the 76ers or Suns.
-Malone was 1a) to Stockon's 1b).
-Garnett was the best player on the Timberwolves.
-Webber was the best player on the Kings (might have won an NBA champion).
-Hayes for a long time was the best player on the Bullets.

I will concede that outside of Duncan not a single one of them is a top 10 player. But most of them fall in the top 30 players.
Those guys were all amazing players. Not denying that. My original point was just that because TD is the best PF ever doesn't necessarily make him better than Kobe who is "merely" top 3 at his. Aside from TD himself, there really hasn't been truly elite championship winning talent at the PF position where I think the other 4 positions have multiple examples.

Abounder

Banned
Those guys were all amazing players. Not denying that. My original point was just that because TD is the best PF ever doesn't necessarily make him better than Kobe who is "merely" top 3 at his. Aside from TD himself, there really hasn't been truly elite championship winning talent at the PF position where I think the other 4 positions have multiple examples.

When you compare Duncan to other PF's they usually don't have the interior presence (especially compared to Dirk, Barkley, Webber) ; Duncan can play both PF and C. By position you can't deny the big man's impact especially defensively.

Duncan is great, but I think he has benefited considerably from being on one of the best run organizations in sports. As individual players I think Kobe was better, but that's no slight on Duncan.

BumRush

LOL

Apparently, you don't watch basketball

TP was the best in 2007
Kawhi was the clear best player last year.

Good try though. :)

Kawhi had a MONSTER finals. Tim D was the best player throughout the season (2nd in PPG to Parker, 1st in RPG, 1st in BPG). I think you'd have a hard time disputing that...

:)

Also, throw out last year and he's easily the best player on the spurs on each of the other 4 finals teams. Kobe was not.

edit: "LOL Apparently you don't watch basketball"? Come on, don't be an asshole...we're trying to have a discussion.

Soonri

IMO it's a wash as to the "better career"... they're both first ballot Hall of Famers, put up great numbers, very consistent, and led teams to championships.

If I were building a team, I'd take Duncan. The inside scoring, his passing, ability to switch between forward and center on offense and defense, protecting the rim, the occasional long midrange two for taking a big out of the paint... hell he's even improved his free throws from when he was younger. I think people tend to underrate big guys because of how prominent perimeter players have become.

If the question is better career, then to me that has to include the entirety of the playing career, and not just the tangible stats. An argument can be made that many of the lakers down years during the Kobe era were in part because of Kobe, and you can argue that one of the main reasons for the sustained excellence of the Spurs is because of Duncan's personality, home discount salaries, etc.

Spinluck

Kobe is the more talented player.

Tim is the more talented teammate.

Quantifying their value is difficult, but Tim D. has been the best player on 5 titles winners and Kobe hasn't (Shaq)

This is not even remotely true...

I say this as a fan of Timmy's.

EDIT:

Kawhi had a MONSTER finals. Tim D was the best player throughout the season (2nd in PPG to Parker, 1st in RPG, 1st in BPG). I think you'd have a hard time disputing that...

:)

Also, throw out last year and he's easily the best player on the spurs on each of the other 4 finals teams. Kobe was not.

edit: "LOL Apparently you don't watch basketball"? Come on, don't be an asshole...we're trying to have a discussion.

Oh ok, the wording was odd. I thought you meant the postseason.

This is easily Duncan. Personally I'm a Shaq fan but the top player from the Mid-Aughts is without a doubt Tim Duncan. This man's consistency is legendary.

BumRush

This is not even remotely true...

I say this as a fan of Timmy's.

EDIT:

Oh ok, the wording was odd. I thought you meant the postseason.

Naw, just on each of those 5 teams - hell, every team he's been on - he's consistently been the best player on that team. Kobe hasn't. AND, the Spurs have won fewer than 50 games ONCE in his career (the shortened lockout season). Kobe's amazing. Tim's better (opnion).

xenist

In their position I can't think of anyone better than Duncan in the history of the sport. I can't say that for Kobe. It may be because of weaker competition but it is what it is.

B.O.O.M

Both are very comparable in their achievements but I will go with Kobe due to one factor: influence. Kobe has influenced many fans of Basketball all around the world, way more so that Duncan

That said Duncan is probably GOAT when it comes to his position

Cat

I'm a bias ass spurs fan from SA so I'm going with Timmy all day everyday and twice on Sunday. Timmy is humble, coachable, team first attitude and no off the court issues and won't throw teammates under the bus. SA loves Timmy and loves our spurs. I won't trade Timmy for the world. GO SPURS GO!

Yeah! I too am a biased Spurs fan.

Oh and off-topic but since I never saw it discussed on GAF anywhere and thought it was cool:
10582754_10152286248901981_5894212034796022634_o.jpg

He had and his custom car shop got to be in a Punisher comic - he is a big fan.

I think this is one of the most interesting sports debates. Anyone who thinks there is an obvious answer is kidding themselves. Not to cop out, but the fact they play different positions and had such different career trajectories makes it really hard to compare. Being a Lakers fan, I would say Duncan by a hair. Kobe in his prime was better though.

In their position I can't think of anyone better than Duncan in the history of the sport. I can't say that for Kobe. It may be because of weaker competition but it is what it is.

I don't think that's a logical way to compare players, Kobe gets penalized simply because MJ existed. There are a couple centers (the position Duncan essentially played) I would take over TD anyways.

entremet

Yeah! I too am a biased Spurs fan.

Oh and off-topic but since I never saw it discussed on GAF anywhere and thought it was cool:

He had and his custom car shop got to be in a Punisher comic - he is a big fan.

didn't know Tim was into cars. Thought he just a big nerd.

If we limit the discussion to talent, Kobe no contest. If you factor in everything else such as being a teammate, a leader or follower, contracts, etc I pick Duncan.

If I had the knowledge of the now in the past and I could draft either and build my franchise around them, I'm taking Duncan.

It's very close. Obviously, I'm biased so I'll take Kobe but I mean, you can't go wrong either way. And FWIW, I'm a huge Timmy fan.

If we're including money in this, then anyone with half a brain takes Kobe because he's earned a shit ton more money in his career. But just in terms of basketball you're mostly splitting hairs.

They've both got about the same individual and team accolades.

I think a couple things put Kobe ahead for me, besides me being obviously a bit biased.

1. Kobe's been the 7 Finals opposed to Duncan's 6.

2. Duncan lost as a 1 seed, a 2 seed, and multiple times blew a 2-0 lead.

Essentially, Duncan has lost numerous series with HCA whereas I believe Kobe has only lost twice, and in both cases it was to a team 1 seed below. Those Duncan upsets really stick out. Also, Duncan never won back to back titles, which is just so hard to accomplish.

On the flip side, Duncan's always won 50 games. He's been luckier in terms of talent around him but that goes into one potentially having a better career. A better player on a shitty team makes for a worse career.

In the end it comes down to Duncan's regular season consistency versus his playoff inconsistency (as a team, not individual) in terms of success and which outweighs the other. For me the latter does and bumps Kobe slightly above.

But again, I'm biased. :)

Redd

If the game was on the line, Kobe all day everyday since he's clutch and no fear in taking the shot.

If I was building a team, Tim Duncan. Team player who makes everyone better around him and plays top notch defense.

BumRush

If we're including money in this, then anyone with half a brain takes Kobe because he's earned a shit ton more money in his career. But just in terms of basketball you're mostly splitting hairs.

If we're including money, I'd actually look at it the other way (Timmy intentionally taking less money to make his team better), but I understand what you mean.

If the game was on the line, Kobe all day everyday since he's clutch and no fear in taking the shot.

If I was building a team, Tim Duncan. Team player who makes everyone better around him and plays top notch defense.

Tim Duncan was clutch in 2004 with the game on the line against the Lakers...until Derek Fisher out clutched him.

#oneluckyshotdeservesanother

If we're including money, I'd actually look at it the other way (Timmy intentionally taking less money to make his team better), but I understand what you mean.

I'm including endorsements in money. No one would take Timmy over Kobe. The amount is so vast they'd be crazy.

BumRush

I'm including endorsements in money. No one would take Timmy over Kobe. The amount is so vast they'd be crazy.

Haha no I'm saying I agree with you. If money is included in the discussion, I think the lower salary makes Timmy even better (since he allowed the org to spend more on the rest of the team)

Haha no I'm saying I agree with you. If money is included in the discussion, I think the lower salary makes Timmy even better (since he allowed the org to spend more on the rest of the team)

Duncan's only made less money for a couple years now.

Early in Kobe's career, he was paid way less than Duncan.

It's the endorsement money that makes a difference. Kobe making only $11 mil per early on allowed them to pay other dudes. It's just Duncan took the pay cut late and Kobe did early.

But your point really doesn't have much to do with whose career one would take, you're more trying to argue who the better player is (which is a different argument altogether).

Why does money matter? I thought this was about basketball, not a vague discussion on "clutchness" or the like.

If we're including money in this, then anyone with half a brain takes Kobe because he's earned a shit ton more money in his career. But just in terms of basketball you're mostly splitting hairs

I answered that.

the 2003 and 2005 Spurs are by far the worst supporting cast out of the 10 championship teams both players played on.

Actually they played on 13 championship teams between them. They won 10.

2007 gave Robert Horry entrance into the "7Rings and Higher" club.

(Michael Jordan need not apply)

So the guys that have scored more than Kobe have also missed less shots than him?

That stat shouldn't be used in a negative manner to Kobe. Kobe's efficiency was still above average, it just wasn't as good as Jordan's or LeBron's. Kobe was always going to top that list with his high volume of shots and the length of his career.

You guys are acting like he's Iverson.

theWB27

If we limit the discussion to talent, Kobe no contest. If you factor in everything else such as being a teammate, a leader or follower, contracts, etc I pick Duncan.

If I had the knowledge of the now in the past and I could draft either and build my franchise around them, I'm taking Duncan.

This argument is crazy. You don't win 5 championships playing at Kobe's level by being a bad teammate. Period. Only recently...when players care more about friendships than winning...has this ever been a problem.

Crazy though...for Gasol not being considered a "tough" guy he's had NO problem playing with the man.

It's no shocker, who many consider to be GOAT, picks Kobe everytime when it comes to who he'd have as a teammate. It's also not Kobe's job to save the Lakers money when he makes them so much of it. Build a team...it's always been this way and nothing should change now because Duncan saved the smaller market Spurs some cash.

No one's saying the west isn't the best, what I did say is that Kobe had better and more dominant teams than Duncan's early 00's squads. During the Shaq era the Spurs were moving from an old Robinson and didn't have a Big 3, feel free to youtube. During the Gasol era the Spurs had McDyess, Kurt Thomas, and Matt Bonner. Duncan did not have a better team throughout his career, it goes in cycles.

Are you serious right now?

The Spurs had the best record in the entire NBA in 2001 (58-21)! Yet they got steamrolled by Kobe and Shaq to the tune of a 4-0 broom slap across the face. To say they weren't a good team isn't just disingenuous, it's a damned lie. They were the best team in the regular season. But Kobe and Shaq went ham on 'em, specifically Kobe aka the road warrior (seriously, go check the splits between home/away. Kobe killed the Kings & Spurs on the road.)

Are you serious right now?

The Spurs had the best record in the entire NBA in 2001 (58-21)! Yet they got steamrolled by Kobe and Shaq to the tune of a 4-0 broom slap across the face. To say they weren't a good team isn't just disingenuous, it's a damned lie. They were the best team in the regular season. But Kobe and Shaq went ham on 'em, specifically Kobe aka the road warrior (seriously, go check the splits between home/away. Kobe killed the Kings & Spurs on the road.)

Sniff...Lakers-Age forever.

CMB...CMB...man, we all we got!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom