• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On Friday Timmy D and Kobe play for the 78th time, who has had the better career?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duncan is great, but I think he has benefited considerably from being on one of the best run organizations in sports. As individual players I think Kobe was better, but that's no slight on Duncan.

Not saying this isn't true but it seems kinda funny considering who they play for. Kobe players for the fucking lakers of all teams, it's hard to complain about not playing for a successful organisation. Duncan on the other hand has won all 5 of the titles that SA has ever won. That seems impressive to me.

Having said that i don't follow the NBA a huge deal so that's more of an outsiders perspective.

theWB27

Not saying this isn't true but it seems kinda funny considering who they play for. Kobe players for the fucking lakers of all teams, it's hard to complain about not playing for a successful organisation. Duncan on the other hand has won all 5 of the titles that SA has ever won. That seems impressive to me.

Having said that i don't follow the NBA a huge deal so that's more of an outsiders perspective.

You're not wrong. The Lakers have been run pretty good. I wouldn't even get on management for where we(Lakers) are now. We had a done deal get revoked late by Stern with CP3 and it soiled some egos like Odom. Then we went after a guy who didn't wanna be pushed and have the keys handed to him(Howard) without winning a thing and a guy who's body is broke(Nash).

Jake.

kobe was probably more 'spectacular' in his prime, but duncan is the better ball player overall and has had a phenomenal career in the league. will be sad to see him go.

keuja

Duncan easily. He's the main reason the spurs have been a title contender for past 15 years and still are an elite team even when he's way past his prime.

Opiate

As a casual observer of basketball, Duncan's gifts seem ripe for being overlooked because those gifts are considered boring. People tend to overemphasize the importance of offense, and particularly flashy offense, when considering value. I think this hurts Duncan and helps Kobe considerably on a subjective (not objective) level.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
It's just not a fair comparison really. Two completely different careers between them.

As individual players I'll take Kobe though. Duncan is lucky as fuck to have such a consistently competent organization behind him his whole career. Kobe ain't had that type of luck unfortunately.

Oh, and can someone remind me which player has bounced the other out of the playoffs the most in their careers. Kthx

It's just not a fair comparison really. Two completely different careers between them.

As individual players I'll take Kobe though. Duncan is lucky as fuck to have such a consistently competent organization behind him his whole career. Kobe ain't had that type of luck unfortunately.

Oh, and can someone remind me which player has bounced the other out of the playoffs the most in their careers. Kthx

But both of their situations are in part because of them, it could be argued

When did the Lakers become the Knicks? Recent management has been shaky, but the Jerry Buss Lakers were one of the best run teams in the league. Couple that with the benefits of being in L.A. and having the Lakers' history, and I'd say only the Spurs rival the Lakers for best team to play for during the years Duncan and Kobe have been in the league.

Zhengi

I think Kobe has had the better career. This isn't to say that Duncan isn't a great player, though. They are definitely the best of their generation.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
Duncan never raped anyone. I know, I know Kobe fans will come tell me he wasn't convicted but it is undeniable he forcibly made that woman do things she didn't want to. Only scumbags root for Korapist.

Chichikov

"Better career" is a poorly defined term, but if I have to build a team around one of them, wheter we're talking about peak or total career I'm picking Duncan in a heartbeat.
Though to be fair, it's in no small part due to the fact that big guys impact the game more.

Bread

Banned
Are you serious right now?

The Spurs had the best record in the entire NBA in 2001 (58-21)! Yet they got steamrolled by Kobe and Shaq to the tune of a 4-0 broom slap across the face. To say they weren't a good team isn't just disingenuous, it's a damned lie. They were the best team in the regular season. But Kobe and Shaq went ham on 'em, specifically Kobe aka the road warrior (seriously, go check the splits between home/away. Kobe killed the Kings & Spurs on the road.)
Where did he say that the Spurs didn't have a good team? He said the Lakers had a better team, and that showed in the playoffs.

Touch

I would say career wise they are about equal. Kobe does have a 3 peat. So I would give it to him by like an inch. Carried or not, it's kind of a big deal. No one has done it since.

Duncan winning the MVP over Jason Kidd in 2002 is by far one the most shameless and pathetic displays ever produced by the mainstream sports media.

That alone, Kobe > Duncan

Duncan winning the MVP over Jason Kidd in 2002 is by far one the most shameless and pathetic displays ever produced by the mainstream sports media.

That alone, Kobe > Duncan
Well, Malone stole Timmy's MVP in '99 if you wanna play this game. :p

I'm biased as hell, but Timmy's career is Top 5 All-Time easily.

Kobe always was the most proficient scorer of the two obviously, but Timmy has always impacted the game much more on every other aspect. Plus his leadership and being a great teammate put him a level above IMO.

Also, it's funny that people say Tim has been lucky because of the organization he is a part of, but then you hear everyone on the Spurs mention that all the great things they have accomplished and continue to do begins and ends with him.

As a casual observer of basketball, Duncan's gifts seem ripe for being overlooked because those gifts are considered boring. People tend to overemphasize the importance of offense, and particularly flashy offense, when considering value. I think this hurts Duncan and helps Kobe considerably on a subjective (not objective) level.

I would argue that at this point this is no longer an issue, at least among people who follow the nba somewhat regularly. Duncan and the rest of the Spurs being this good for so long and the exposure of advanced stats has forced people to realize his full greatness. Conversely, the last 3 years or so of Kobe's career have soured the rest of it to many.

After thinking about it some more I would give the nod to Duncan by a slightly longer hair than before. It just seems like guards can't have the same impact on games that dominant big men can, unless you're MJ.

Never repeated? That really matters when Duncan has more FMVPs and MVPs? Pass the pipe indeed.

Spurs also swept the Lakers, and sorry those early 00's Spurs were not on the same level as the Shaq era Lakers. They were transitioning from a broken down David Robinson and did not have a big 3, meanwhile by comparison the Lakers were stacked with talent including a better coach and a blank check.

Same deal after the Pau Gasol trade: the entire western conference bitched at that trade because it put the Lakers on another tier, meanwhile Spurs were using Kurt thomas, Antonio Mcdyess, and Matt Bonner with a hobbled Duncan during the Gasol era.

If fans are implying that Duncan had a better team throughout his career, I simply cannot agree, it goes in cycles.

If you break it down they probably had a similar amount of championship caliber squads, but I would take a prime Shaq and Co. over Duncan's 03 and 99 squad run for sure, and probably more.

The Spurs won in 99, transitioning my ass, that team was already Duncan's.
They next faced the Lakers in 01 & 02, where they won 1 game over both series.
They eliminated LA the following year, then lost again the next year.

More recently, they also lost in the WCF to the Lakers during the Lakers' most recent run at the top of the West, 08-10. In their best when both were contending, head to head is in Kobe's favor with and without Shaq.

1999 Western Conference Semifinals Spurs won, 4–0
2001 Western Conference Finals Lakers won, 4–0
2002 Western Conference Semifinals Lakers won, 4–1
2003 Western Conference Semifinals Spurs won, 4–2
2004 Western Conference Semifinals Lakers won, 4–2
2008 Western Conference Finals Lakers won, 4–1

So same amount of rings, and Kobe wins head to head. Thus, Kobe, who three-peated once and repeated once. And yes, that matters.

Duncan aged better with his game.

Kobe was far better in his prime.

Big vs Guards. Bigs usually hang around for a while. Tim's no different in that regard.

Again, both have great careers, and you really can't go wrong either way between the best PF vs the 2nd best SG of all time. But Prime Kobe was completely unstoppable vs anyone, including Duncan, who was posterized a few times during the 01 series where Kobe dropped 45 on them.

If the game was on the line, Kobe all day everyday since he's clutch and no fear in taking the shot.

If I was building a team, Tim Duncan. Team player who makes everyone better around him and plays top notch defense.

That's the same effect great players have though. Shaq, MJ, etc.
Perfect example is Pau playing with Kobe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom