• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On the Spot - Best of TGS

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Kobun Heat said:
Hm. PSP doesn't actually have an analog stick after all.

are you trying to start something?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Kobun Heat said:
I'm registering my surprise at what I just saw on the show.

I thought you were joking. so what is that (apparently previously confirmed and played with) analogue stick now then?

catfish said:
I thought you were joking. so what is that (apparently previously confirmed and played with) analogue stick now then?
Apparently it's a "control disc". Jeff said it seemed to have more than 8 directional inputs... but he couldn't be sure. In any case it apparently isn't analog.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Marconelly said:
Uh, how can a control device like that not be analog?

That's why the statement was so confusing. It even took the host by surprise.

I think the words Jeff used were "It's not 'exactly' analog. Don't expect Dual Shock control."

Alex

The best part was when the guy said NFS: Rivals looked "hot" after they just showed a video of it running at like 20 FPS, massive chunks of the track popping up, and the player damn near literally running into more walls than you would if you just held the X button (or whatever it is on PSP) down.

Sho Nuff

Banned
NFS was not "hot," it looked like ass.

And Konami's FPS was not "crazy," unless he was implying "you'd be crazy to buy it."

mosaic

go eat paint
Woot!

Here's the PSP controller!

nes-max.jpg

Now we're playing with POWER!

Tritroid

Bob White said:
Soooooooo, what's wrong with that one dudes eyebrow?
We were wondering the same thing in #ign64. (On the same server as #ga btw)

One guy said it looked like a skunk stripe, but I tend to think it's a bald spot from a scar or something.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I like the mock Shadow Hearts 2 battle start animation that started the show...

cja

First time I'd seen the Okami trailer, awestruck. With VJ2, DMC3 and RE4 Capcom have an amazing line-up.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
You might look at an arcade stick and wonder the same thing.
Not exactly the same thing. Besides, there's absolutely no point of putting that thing there if it's not analog.

The least I can think of it is, it could be that it allows for a full 360 degrees aray of circular control, but maybe not a full array of radial sensitivity... Then again even that doesn't make much sense as there's clearly a distance the little disc slides from one side to another.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Marconelly:
Besides, there's absolutely no point of putting that thing there if it's not analog.
Not saying the PSP control is one way or the other, but there was absolutely no point to splitting the D-Pad up into a cluster of four face buttons on the Dual Shocks -- except for "Sony style".

Gek54

Lazy8s said:
Marconelly:

Not saying the PSP control is one way or the other, but there was absolutely no point to splitting the D-Pad up into a cluster of four face buttons on the Dual Shocks -- except for "Sony style".

The d-pad is not 4 buttons, its one piece of plastic. Holy fucking christ, you are not that stupid are you?

Jagernaut

Lazy8s said:
Marconelly:

People are still saying the same old shit. The Dual Shock dpad is not split into 4 buttons, its all one piece. The center is just under the plastic shell of the controller case. Press one of the "buttons", and the rest also move.

jarrod

Banned
Gek54 said:
The d-pad is not 4 buttons, its one piece of plastic. Holy fucking christ, you are not that stupid are you?
It wasn't when PS1 launched... it actually was 4 seperate buttons, that was changed in later revisions. Holy fucking christ indeed...

jarrod

Banned
Gek54 said:
But he said dual shock and my launch Playstaion controler is still on peice.
Hint: The standard US controller was a revision. PS1 first 'launched' 9 months previous.

I did miss Lazy's DS comment, but the segmented d-pad really was a needless aesthetic decision in the name of symmetry anyway... symmetry which evidently doesn't translate to Sony handhelds for whatever reason.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Gek54:
The d-pad is not 4 buttons,
Four FACE buttons (you didn't read correctly) don't have to be built from four separate buttons. If there are four separate buttons above the plastic -- you know, the place you actually interact with -- then you can't roll your thumb through the diagonals regardless of what's below the plastic. Sony style.

ferricide

i dunno, i think you deserve it, jarrod. nit picky bullshit.

the analogue NUB is pretty weird, and it seemed that nobody quite knew how to handle it. probably the emulation devkits didn't have quite the same thing on them... just a theory.

i thought coded arms looked pretty promising. certainly the best looking original game at the show, from a technical standpoint, except maybe MGA.

and NFSUR... needs work. the placard said it was 50% done, and, well, quite.

Yusaku

Jesus Christ, is any one paying attention? It was pretty clear the analog "stick" was a disc at E3. Doesn't make it any less analog.

XS+

Banned
At any rate, the rigid and awkward PlayStation D-pad sucks. Even when playing 2D games on PlayStation I prefer using the analog stick. What's a good 3rd-party PS2 controller?

And Yusaku is correct.

Vibri

Banned
Will someone tell those Gamespot editors to stay away from the camera, and stick to writing articles please. Shudder.

ourumov

XS+ said:
At any rate, the rigid and awkward PlayStation D-pad sucks. Even when playing 2D games on PlayStation I prefer using the analog stick. What's a good 3rd-party PS2 controller?

And Yusaku is correct.
The ASCII ones.

It's fun but even sucking this gen has been the best D-PAD. If I had to choose my choice would be the SNES one or the SS one.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lazy8s said:
Gek54:

Four FACE buttons (you didn't read correctly) don't have to be built from four separate buttons. If there are four separate buttons above the plastic -- you know, the place you actually interact with -- then you can't roll your thumb through the diagonals regardless of what's below the plastic. Sony style.

Actually...you can. While divided, you can still roll the entire piece around quite easily.

I hope, being the hardcore DC fan that you still are, you can at least admit the DC d-pad is awful. It is quite possibly the most inaccurate d-pad I've seen on a console in long time...

I still love the ol' Saturn d-pad, though (well, at least on the JP/second style US pad).

jarrod

Banned
ferricide said:
i dunno, i think you deserve it, jarrod. nit picky bullshit.
I dunno... I'm not the one screaming 'stupid' and 'retards', particularly when Lazy actually had a bit of a point (the segmented D-pad being done for symmetric aesthetics rather than anything else, style over function). Then people jump on him for it, and when I correct them I get jumped on in turn.... the 3rd string borgs around here evidently don't grasp the concept behind 'the golden rule'.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hey jarrod, which original PSX pads had the divided d-pad? I have a PSX controller from December of 1995 right here, and the d-pad is not divided. Were the original JP pads divided? Perhaps even the original US launch pads?

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
Hey jarrod, which original PSX pads had the divided d-pad? I have a PSX controller from December of 1995 right here, and the d-pad is not divided. Were the original JP pads divided? Perhaps even the original US launch pads?
JP launch pads (Dec 1994) were using segmented seperate buttons, it was changed about 6-8 months in or so iirc. The US pads were always one d-pad joined underneath though I believe.

Top Bottom