• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On the Spot - Best of TGS

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Going buy that logic (which is right of course) is there anything analog that isn't a misnomer?

Don't look at your penis now. :)

P90

TTP said:
Going buy that logic (which is right of course) is there anything analog that isn't a misnomer?

Don't look at your penis now. :)

Tube amps, camera film, paint and easel, pen and paper, electric guitars, car steering wheels, kick stands, air...

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Didn't the PSX d-pad consist of four separate buttons because Nintendo had a patent on the original "cross" d-pad design (which has since expired)?

jarrod

Banned
human5892 said:
Didn't the PSX d-pad consist of four separate buttons because Nintendo had a patent on the original "cross" d-pad design (which has since expired)?
Uh... no? How did Sega, Atari, Panasonic, Goldstar, NEC, SNK, FM Towns and others get past this patent then?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
jarrod said:
Uh... no? How did Sega, Atari, Panasonic, Goldstar, NEC, SNK, FM Towns and others get past this patent then?
Well, the Genesis didn't have a cross formation d-pad, which obviously is different enough to get past the patent. I'm not sure about those other systems (some I haven't seen in a while, and others not at all).

EDIT: While I can't find a definite source, a simple Google search reveals plenty of references to Nintendo's d-pad patent. It seems that it expired before the Dreamcast launch, which is why that console features a cross d-pad.

Top Bottom