• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once and for all, is it OK to buy AMD for a mid-high range gaming PC?

SGRU

Hi GAF.

I've just finished building a new PC (7800X3D, 32 GB of RAM, 4 TB SSD, Omen gaming monitor...). The only missing part is the GPU and I don't know what to do...

I heard the rumors about the 8800XT cards and I really like what I see. I don't feel OK with spending 1200+ dollars on a gaming accessory, so maybe that supposed 700 dollars GPU could work for me?

I'm not into the latest of the latest, the most recent games I want to play with this PC is Cyberpunk, Diablo IV and whatever Sony launches and it seems that card should be more than OK, if we take a look at current AMD GPU's benchmarks.

But there's the thing with AMD drivers. Are it still garbage? As I said, I don't mind if the drivers are not absolutely up to date with the latest games (which seems to be still a problem).

Am I OK buying AMD? Besides gaming, the other "not Chrome" task I plan to do is edit video with DaVinci, which seems to be a perfect fit for AMD OpenCL implementation.

So tell me GAF, do you recommend AMD or better stay away from it?

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
John Candy No GIF by Laff

AMD is for console peasants

What The Fox

Neo Member
Yes.

I've been using a full amd build (5800X + 6900XT) since Jan '21 with basically no issues. One time I installed an optional (vs recommended) driver and it caused some performance degradation in ffxiv, so I rolled it back and only did recommended after that.

Can't think of too many other issues

Wukong had a lot of troubles with the AMD drivers recently for example.

Games and graphic cards are relying more and more on Ray Tracing and image reconstruction so i'd tell you to stay away from it.

SolidQ

heard the rumors about the 8800XT cards and I really like what I see. I don't feel OK with spending 1200+ dollars on a gaming accessory, so maybe that supposed 700 dollars GPU could work for me?
N48 is 500-600$ gpu, should be soon announce

But there's the thing with AMD drivers. Are it still garbage?
Same as Nvidia, both have problems, but overall both is fine

Last edited:

HogIsland

if you're trying to run linux, there's a case for AMD. if you're planning to run windows, i think you should get the nvidia card you can afford, and consider saving to go a notch above what you think you can afford.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Just make informative decision, amd cards are better value for pure raster and usually are worth it coz of bigger vram pool but u gotta decide how much premium nvidia's feature set is worth it for u, aka dlss/framegen/better raytracing performance.
If u dont care about it/dont wanna pay additional 50-100$ for those features, then happily go amd, if u do then go with nvidia(but i suggest to not go below 16gigs vram nvidia gpus with that cpu u got already, so get this or above https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-4070-ti-super.c4187

hinch7

With AMD you go mid/lowrange or you go home. Considering you want an 8800xt you are better off with an Nvidia 4070 at the minimum
Current rumor is that its going to be 4080 levels for raster and 4070 Ti Super for ray tracing. Which is more than decent if priced right. Its only FSR thats the weak link if you intend to play with upscaling at 1440P and under.

About the 4070 and current 70 12GB SKU's, I wouldn't settle for a 12GB GPU in 2024 if I could help it. And this is someone who has a 4070Ti. Its barely scraping through in current titles with heavy textures, RT and upscaling. In a couple years I can see it becoming quite problematic; just like the previous gen (3070) before it.

AMD drivers from what I've seen seem fine, but I haven't owned a AMD GPU since the HD4850.

Last edited:
With nvidia having DLSS and better (way better) RT I'd never get AMD unless it is much much cheaper, which don't seem to be the case most of the time.

winjer

Gold Member
Hi GAF.

I've just finished building a new PC (7800X3D, 32 GB of RAM, 4 TB SSD, Omen gaming monitor...). The only missing part is the GPU and I don't know what to do...

I heard the rumors about the 8800XT cards and I really like what I see. I don't feel OK with spending 1200+ dollars on a gaming accessory, so maybe that supposed 700 dollars GPU could work for me?

I'm not into the latest of the latest, the most recent games I want to play with this PC is Cyberpunk, Diablo IV and whatever Sony launches and it seems that card should be more than OK, if we take a look at current AMD GPU's benchmarks.

But there's the thing with AMD drivers. Are it still garbage? As I said, I don't mind if the drivers are not absolutely up to date with the latest games (which seems to be still a problem).

Am I OK buying AMD? Besides gaming, the other "not Chrome" task I plan to do is edit video with DaVinci, which seems to be a perfect fit for AMD OpenCL implementation.

So tell me GAF, do you recommend AMD or better stay away from it?

Drivers are very good now.
The problem is that RT is significantly worse on AMD.
And DLSS is still king in the upscaling arena. FSR3.1 was a good jump, but no where near enough to catch up to nvidia.

finalflame

You'd have to be lacking a brain to buy an AMD GPU considering the lead nVidia has with DLSS.

In the CPU space, seems less clear. It'd be more clear if the Ryzen 9 launch hadn't been a fucking disaster and if Intel as a company was competent and didn't put out broken CPUs. We'll see when the 9800X3D makes it out.

Last edited:
There's no great answer, just get an AMD CPU, the biggest regret I have is that I got an i9 12900KF and not a Ryzen CPU, on the GPU side if you want to play games like Valorant then AMD is good, they beat Nvidia's mid range cards for rasterization performance, if you want to play things like Cyberpunk with all the settings on max and just get away with dropping resolution and using upscalers like DLSS then go Nvidia

SpearHea.:D

Nvidia only.

RTX + DLSS + Frame generation is godlike.
Games like Cyberpunk alan wake 2, black myth dont even run properly with path tracing on amd.

kevboard

no. I would say especially for lower end or mid range rigs, DLSS is a gamechanger.

if you take 2 GPUs, one from AMD and one from Nvidia, and both of them have the exact same performance profile in all games (unrealistic scenario but this is just to get the idea across), the fact that the Nvidia card has DLSS alone makes it a more attractive choice.

FSR is so bad that people only use it as a last resort option to salvage performance if they absolutely have to.
DLSS is so good that 90% of users use it even if they have an RTX4090. it is so good that it gives the best image quality in multiple games, over running them native with TAA.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Current rumor is that its going to be 4080 levels for raster and 4070 Ti Super for ray tracing. Which is more than decent if priced right. Its only FSR thats the weak link if you intend to play with upscaling at 1440P and under.
Rumors say a lot of shit, wait till the device comes out and make judgements then. Otherwise buy an enviddy

draliko

i have a 7900xtx that i bought for pennies (a friend didn't like it) and sincerely everythings fine as it was with my previous 3080 and 6800xt and 1080 before. drivers shenigans happen across all brands, everything depends on your budget and rest of config

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I been running Ryzen since 2020. I don't think I'm ever going back to intel. GPUs though? I hope AMD steps up and somehow competes at the high end with NVIDIA, but I just don't see it happening.

To be fair though, I've seen some claims that AMDs GPU offerings for this upcoming gen could close the gap considerably. So call it being cautiously optimistic. If you can hold on, maybe wait for the new offerings. Or get something cheap as a stop gap. Look at the 4060 or even a 30series NVIDIA card. With AMD maybe consider the 6000 series high end (6800xt?) Then upgrade to NVIDIA's new gen.

Radeon does have some advantages. In rasterization they are pretty close to NVIDIA. Raytracing is lackluster, but I don't often use raytracing even on my 4090. The sacrifice to framerate is too great in most cases as I like to run most games at 120-144fps. Also you generally get more VRAM per dollar on Radeon(granted its on the previous GDDR), which could be a good trade off. I haven't used AMD FSR too much, but my few experiences were almost always worse than DLSS.

Black Myth: Wu Kong is a good example of this. With DLSS and Frame Generation I'm getting roughly 100-110 fps. Add in raytracing and I'll be still around 70 to 80fps, roughly 25% drop. I don't have a 7800x3d though.

Last edited:
I game on a 3070. My thoughts are:

Ray Tracing is overrated, almost always not worth the performance hit (which is massive).

DLSS is overrated. Depending on the implementation it can have ghosting and artifacting. The reason why people don’t notice it as much is most native images run awful blurry TAA so because you get a sharper image you basically deceived into thinking it’s a good image in comparison to a quality native image.

Ngreedia is very stingy with VRAM, and its premiums are insane. Next time I will go Intel or AMD.

Intel used to be what Nvidia is today and look at what happened to them.

Bojji

Drivers are very good now.
The problem is that RT is significantly worse on AMD.
And DLSS is still king in the upscaling arena. FSR3.1 was a good jump, but no where near enough to catch up to nvidia.

I can't agree with that. I had 6800 for few months in 2023 and again for 2 months this year. Plenty of issues:

- on one driver Persona 4 crashed every 20min., I read that this issue was common and it was introduced over 1 year (!!!) before so I had to install old drivers (no option for new gpus users BTW). Fine...
- on OLD drivers Outer Worlds crushed
- Dead Space stuttered like motherfucker every time, like shader cache didn't save. No problem like that on Nvidia.
- etc. (few more issues but I don't remember specifics)

Typical AMD drivers are fine for 90% of games but Nvidia drivers are fine for 99% of games. I don't remember the last time I had some major problem on Nvidia like ones mentioned above and I use their hardware since 2007.

AMD GPUs are good but they should have much lower price for what they offer.

winjer

Gold Member
I can't agree with that. I had 6800 for few months in 2023 and again for 2 months this year. Plenty of issues:

- on one driver Persona 4 crashed every 20min., I read that this issue was common and it was introduced over 1 year (!!!) before so I had to install old drivers (no option for new gpus users BTW). Fine...
- on OLD drivers Outer Worlds crushed
- Dead Space stuttered like motherfucker every time, like shader cache didn't save. No problem like that on Nvidia.
- etc. (few more issues but I don't remember specifics)

Typical AMD drivers are fine for 90% of games but Nvidia drivers are fine for 99% of games. I don't remember the last time I had some major problem on Nvidia like ones mentioned above and I use their hardware since 2007.

AMD GPUs are good but they should have much lower price for what they offer.

Never played Persona 4 with the 6800XT I have. So I can't tel.
Never had a single crash with The Outer Worlds, nor with the remake.
Only stutters I had with Dead Space was from traversal. When getting near certain doors, and the game started loading the next level.

Edit: Regardless of having an Nvidia or AMD GPU, one thing I usually do is to use DDU to clean drivers before updating. And disabling Windows driver updates.
These two things go very far in avoiding problems with drivers, regardless of vendors.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

For CPU I go with AMD largely because of price per perf and intel's recent streak of problems.

For GPU, the tech around AMD would have to take a great leap or NVIDIA prices would have to just become insane. I'll pay the NVIDIA premium because NVIDIA is simply better.

El Muerto

Gold Member
AMD wins when it comes to price/performance. Just do you research. AMD has frame generation and can force fsr 3.1 in games but kinda shit when it comes to raytracing. If you really want raytracing get Nvidia for now.
I've been using an AMD cpu and gpu for well over a decade. There arent any driver issues like there were then the r7/r9 cards came out. Havent had any problems in any games recently either.

Bojji

Never played Persona 4 with the 6800XT I have. So I can't tel.
Never had a single crash with The Outer Worlds, nor with the remake.
Only stutters I had with Dead Space was from traversal. When getting near certain doors, and the game started loading the next level.

Dead Space was like that on few drivers, changed GPU to 4070 and boom... problem solved. Only traversal stutters remained but on AMD I was stuttering every time I turned on the game, it was clearly shader cache related.

On nvidia I had almost zero driver related issues for years so even getting few of them is like few hundred percent increase, it's noticeable.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I've got 2 gaming pcs one with a 7900xt and the other has a 4070 .. the 7900xt performs better in most games.

Really gpus are all about the higher end now.
I would not buy anything lower than a 7900xt or 4080.
Mid tier gpus are pretty much crap compared to their price these days.

I remember when the xx60 ti cards use to have really nice performance to price ratio. 😢

Last edited:

Solrac

While it's true that with Vulkan, AMD has improved a lot, if you still plan to play emulators, just buy NVIDIA

Beechos

Why wouldn't it be? I think nvidia only beats amd handily for rt and ml stuff. All the other stuff is pretty equal.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I tested both RDNA 3 and RTX 4000 GPUs and seen no difference, I expected amd to crash all the time but never had a single bug or crash with the drivers in 5 months
On Nvidia the annoying thing is having to sign in to use GeForce experience to record your games, on amd you don't

Nvidia, and don't listen to all the YouTube dickhead influencers trying to sell their audience on AMD cards. They eat good from that AMD backpocket money and you feel like an idiot for not going Nvidia.

I have a 6700XT AMD card and have had no problems. All the fancy bonuses Nvidia offers can easily be substituted with Lossless Scaling program or other software tweaks with better results.

Last edited:

Zathalus

It can be worth it if you have a specific budget you absolutely cannot go over. For example if you only have around $680 to spend then your fastest options are the 7900XT vs the 4070 Ti. In that case you can make a good argument to go with the 7900XT.

Most people are a bit more flexible in budget and just by going up to $770 you can find a 4070 Ti Super that is quite superior to a 7900 XT.

Last edited:

Branded

Yes. Was on the Nvidia train for eons but have now (since about a year or so) switched to team red and doubt I'll go back any time soon.

There are some drawbacks in terms of video encoding (if you do that sort of thing) and I guess ray tracing isn't as efficient still on AMD's platform but I much prefer their Adrenalin driver and the price to performance ratio has much improved over the years now.

Ultimately either Nvidia or AMD are both perfectly fine for high end and both come with their ups and downs.

CLW

My all amd build 7900xtx 7800x3d has been great but I hate RT so I NEVER even try to use it if you are interested in rt at all I’d be hesitant as Nvidia has a substantial lead there

Top Bottom