• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The chapters where the Ancient Kingdom is explained are going to be hype as fuck.
I strongly expect Dragon's character to be explored around this time, too. Revolutionary Army and its purpose are going to be meaningful as @#@!

Also, the mystery of Kuma is some ominous foreshadowing for later, too. Not sure when that will get resolved, though. Maybe with the Vegapunk reveal.

Consider yourself lucky that Oda is not on HxH, D grey man and berserk level

D. Gray Man is back though!!

Hunter x Hunter... come back to meeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

Ooops...

Not really. Come back to meeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

It's dead Jim

We can dream Nibel.

We. Can. DREAM.

Just finished.

All I can say is this is, without a doubt, one of the most incredible works of fiction I have ever known.

it's just so good

sooooo good

zr0G6MV.jpg

Dragon is gonna wreck some fools. I wish we could have seen his reaction to Luffy punching Saint Charlos.

God I can't wait to see Dragon fuck shit up.

I want a Dragon/Luffy tag team fight so bad.

Anyway, I was talking to my roommates last night about how One Piece is the best selling manga of all time and they thought that was the stupidest thing ever. They haven't even read it. Made me so fucking mad that they were shaming GODA's work.

I should just read it again for both of them.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I just read that article, and damn that was a great read. Made me even more hyped for the future of the series, if that's even possible. I just can't wait for all these plot points to start coming together.

The whole thing with Skypiea is crazy interesting. I wonder if the Strawhats will really go into space.

I think I actually will give the series a reread. I need to experience One Piece in all it's glory again.

Pegosaurus, you should have just explained to them why you think it's good.

i tried. they were having none of it. heathens.

SolVanderlyn

Damn, amazing write-up, now I am double sad that there is no new chapter :(
I dunno, that was kind of like reading a chapter in and of itself.

SolVanderlyn

The art style is really off putting if you're used to more traditional anime art, and especially if you're not into anime to begin with. It's one of the things you fall in love with after staying with it for a while, but at first makes you go "ehhhhh, what is this?"

Lunar15

The funniest one, to me, is that it's too long.... right after they just told me about the 8 different shows they just binge watched on netflix.

The art style is really off putting if you're used to more traditional anime art, and especially if you're not into anime to begin with. It's one of the things you fall in love with after staying with it for a while, but at first makes you go "ehhhhh, what is this?"

Can't disagree there. That said, early Fairy Tail is really close to oda's art.

FairyTail-Volume_1_Cover.jpg

Chariot

Gotta say, I don't like the recent look too much, it's a bit crowded. In it's earlier days I lrealyl enjoyed how clean and simple the style was.

The part that made me break out in a sweat.

For the term “One Piece” we see the katakana used most often, the transliterated term for One Piece, ワンピース is literally wan pīsu. This is the text we see on the cover of every single One Piece volume in Japan. When Whitebeard said that “the One Piece does exist” [Volume 59, Page 54], One Piece is expressed in a combination of hiragana and kanji: “hito-tsunagi daihiho” (ひとつなぎの大秘宝), which translates to “the great treasure in one piece” and also includes a small katakana reading next to it in the familiar ワンピース (wan pīsu). Most Japanese speakers would read this phonetically using the hiragana for One Piece, the homonym: “hito–tsunagi” (一つなぎ).

However, there is another viable reading Oda has not yet used which would include Kanji instead of what Whitebeard said: “hito-tsunagi” (人繋ぎ) with the hiragana “hito-tsunagi“ (ひとつなぎ), or “the one that connects them all.” The power of the One Piece, therefore, may be the power to connect all things, in all places, with all people across time and space.

The part that made me break out in a sweat.
Currently reading Alabasta, and the bit where Luffy tells Vivi "I can hear your voice" after reading that floored me. No one, not the rebels or the royal army can save her but Luffy.

Of course it could be a coincidence, but the imagery was really striking considering the "hearing the voice of all things".

cntr

Banned
Since there's no chapter this week, here's an interesting article from the One Piece Podcast to pass the time.

http://onepiecepodcast.com/2015/07/22/the-one-piece-connection/
Holy shit.

Skypiea was pointless, they said.

Skypiea is the worst arc in the series, they said.

Skypiea naysayers can taste the cold tip of Calgara's spear.
A-fucking-men.

I've tried that. A friend of mine said One Piece is too "childish" yet read Naruto and Fairy Tail...

-_-
Blame it on the fact that One Piece's artstyle is fairly cartoon-y, and that it doesn’t really do "dark and angsty" like Sasuke, which is equated with "mature" storytelling in the minds of idiots. Even Law and Robin are mostly stoic, not angsty.

I'd find more in that if Oda had actually used the third spelling.
Having implied alternative spellings is standard in Japanese fiction, and the way Oda phrased it leads directly to that homophone.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Even after Lucky Roux shot that guy in the head in the first chapter?

Time to sever your bonds with this "friend".

Or how Shanks gave up his arm to save Luffy?
Or how Buggy blew up a man for accidentally mocking his nose (he spared him in the anime)
Or Kuro's entire "Imma kill the girl that I spent three years bonding with just for her fortune" plan? And his ultimate attack slices up his crewmates and he doesn't care.

One Piece always had dark elements to it. It just didn't really get noticed until Arlong came along.

For some people looking cool and appearing mature are more important than actually being those things.

I don't think that's a bad thing at all. I just pity them because they won't even try to read it to see how great it is.

often times people will like things they didn't expect they would like before.

Lunar15

To be incredibly fair, I didn't really get into one piece until college because I thought it wasn't my thing too. So, I've been there.

Dugna

Hmm? I'm curious what you mean when you say "go of the deep end". The One Piece world is already a crazy, fantasy world literally is the deep end.

Dunno I just don't want for once the the "Secret" to be something like aliens or gods again, I kinda just want some of the shit be either based in stuff we already know like hidden around and stuff or not explained at all. But seeing how Naruto *spoilers*
Naruto ends up talking to fucking aliens on the moon.
and Bleach
Where everything is a asspull of "greater force" did this or whatever.
It just makes me iffy about that stuff even if Oda is doing it.

To be incredibly fair, I didn't really get into one piece until college because I thought it wasn't my thing too. So, I've been there.

Irrelevant. Something not being your thing and talking bad about/making fun of something you barely even know are two completely different matters.

Lunar15

Irrelevant. Something not being your thing and talking bad about/making fun of something you barely even know are two completely different matters.

I'm sure I called it stupid looking at some point in some conversations somewhere. Probably after seeing a glimpse of it on 4kids.

Thing is, I didn't know anyone who actually watched/read it until college. I actually went by someone's dorm, and they were watching an episode (Little Garden, actually), and I thought it was funny and gave it a shot.

Zoro wanting to cut off his legs and die with an awesome pose is still a really good joke. I miss that Zoro.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

I sort of miss the earlier, more "solid" style. Don't really care for how loose it's become, and it's so busy sometimes it's hard to follow what's going on.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
examples?

I mean, the characters just sort of lack the same solid lines they had originally which made One Piece unique looking. It had sort of this East meets West aesthetic to it.

I just don't care for how loose the art has become, and it just seems like every panel has to be super-busy now, with very little white space. I don't want Oda to be like Kishimoto, but a little white-space to let my eyes rest when reading the dialogue and processing the scene would be nice.

I like the current style now, although my favorite art style in the manga was the Skypiea and Water 7 period with all the hatching and cross-hatching.
Art evolution is natural and I think it's healthy for an artist to experiment, try new techniques and find out what works and what doesn't work.

If they are really your friends you should tell them that One Piece is bad for the 30 or so years it takes for the series to end then they won't have to wait between chapters.

I mean, the characters just sort of lack the same solid lines they had originally which made One Piece unique looking. It had sort of this East meets West aesthetic to it.

I just don't care for how loose the art has become, and it just seems like every panel has to be super-busy now, with very little white space. I don't want Oda to be like Kubo, but a little white-space to let my eyes rest when reading the dialogue and processing the scene would be nice.

ftfy. I'm actually a huge fan of how the series looks now. While the panels might be busy, I actually think Oda draws them in a way that I can still understand what's happening unlike some other manga artists.

I mean I get to each they're own, but I think One Piece has looked damn good this past arc.

I like the current style now, although my favorite art style in the manga was the Skypiea and Water 7 period with all the hatching and cross-hatching.
Art evolution is natural and I think it's healthy for an artist to experiment, try new techniques and find out what works and what doesn't work.

When I reread the manga I'll have to make note of how the art style has changed over they years. I can definitely tell that early One Piece looks much different than current One Piece, but the middle is all a blur to me, I just remember it looking like it looks now.

I definitely agree with the latter part though, I think artists should experiment to find a style they really like and want to stick with, and a lot of it is progression as well.

Seesaw15

Until I saw this image I couldn't put my finger on what felt different about the art. I always thought it was just busy panels but its seems for the last fews years he increased the thickness of his line work or maybe he's just drawing smaller overall? Everything feels much more gestural and looser which I like but I also loved all his other styles over the years.
YUpRwVw.jpg

Until I saw this image I couldn't put my finger on what felt different about the art. I always thought it was just busy panels but its seems for the last fews years he increased the thickness of his line work. Everything feels much more gestural and looser which I like but I also loved all his other styles.
YUpRwVw.jpg

wow thanks for posting this, really interesting to see how his style has evolved over the years. I'm not sure if I have a favorite era of One Piece art, but I love all of it and am interested to see how much more it will have changed (or not changed) once the series has ended.

Goda can do no wrong imo

Oh my god

It's been 5 years since the timeskip.

shit

shit

vareon

Until I saw this image I couldn't put my finger on what felt different about the art. I always thought it was just busy panels but its seems for the last fews years he increased the thickness of his line work or maybe he's just drawing smaller overall? Everything feels much more gestural and looser which I like but I also loved all his other styles over the years.
YUpRwVw.jpg

I really like his drawings during Alabasta and Skypiea best. It's like the middle road of earlier simplicity and the busyness of today's style.

YUpRwVw.jpg

This chart doesn't really do some of the art of the respective time period justice, because most of the faces are from random panels. For instance, that Zoro in 2009 is Bon Clay.

Oh my god

It's been 5 years since the timeskip.

Is that a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom