• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Whitebeard? The worlds most powerful man didn't use haki iirc.

Except he did. It was confirmed he had Conqueror's Haki. It can be assumed he had the other two.
Plus, Ace's flashback showed Whitebeard was able to hurt him, and he had his Devil Fruit powers.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Whitebeard? The worlds most powerful man didn't use haki iirc.

He clearly did it's right there in his instruction not sure how you missed that), you know the clash with swords that split the clouds it's even mentioned if you don't have strong enough haki, you won't maintain consciousness in front Shanks ignoring the numerous other evidence.

I not even sure why you'd want someone that made it big without haki it's an equalizer that allows anyone to compete with devil fruit users. For someone to make it big without it is even more bullshit.

Blackbeards a special case since he got a largely crappy that gives similar abilities but that he circumvents with gaining a second fruit which he kinda needs since haki makes the fruits original ability kinda crappy.

He had haki

When he stabbed akoji one of his man thought he used haki

He also has conquer haki this was attempted when he tried to prevent ace from being killed on the scaffold and noted after luffy used his

Ah, that's right. Sorry, really sleepy right now and completely forgot about that (and thanks for not being sniffy about it, lol). He seems like a man who would've been in just about the same position even without haki though. His raw strength coupled with his devil fruit power was insane; haki was just the cherry on the top.

I'm sorry, but there is simply no answer as to why CP9 does not have Haki other than simply Oda not having thought of it yet. In a world with Haki and Logias, the government's top assassin squad, so powerful physically and politically that their existence must be hidden, there is no way they wouldn't have Haki.

There are not the government top assassin squad them being CP9 show there many more groups .

When he combined the powers together and and called them Haki was pretty late. But Conqueror aura was in the manga fairly early. And mantra was obviously in with skypia. Armament is probably the latest and most poorly thought out one and was added for Sabaody to counter logia. Personally I think that armament was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.

That was mostly plan in advance also.
There was no way Oda would have made characters keep on trying to find a logia weakness.
And then having to set up the fight where the weakness could be used .
It also explain why logia users don't rule the world and other characters can fight them.

Oda didn't come up with Haki until a few years ago. Anybody who thinks he planned it out earlier than the War of the Best arc is fooling themselves.

You're joking, right?

Since the term "haki"was namedropped in Jaya. In fact, since haki (覇気) is just the japanese word for "ambition", any mention of (覇気, ambition) could have been more bread crumbs placed by Oda that could have been overlooked by the reader.

Grexeno

There are not the government top assassin squad them being CP9 show there many more groups.
Um

There's Cipher Pol 1-9 and Cipher Pol 0. Cipher Pol 9 is outright said to be stronger than 1-8, and Cipher Pol 0 has almost a completely different purpose. Outside of CP0, there is no question that Cipher Pol 9 is the strongest of the government's assassin squads.

Um

There's Cipher Pol 1-9 and Cipher Pol 0. Cipher Pol 9 is outright said to be stronger than 1-8, and Cipher Pol 0 has almost a completely different purpose. Outside of CP0, there is no question that Cipher Pol 9 is the strongest of the government's assassin squads.

Did not remember they were said to be the strongest.
After rereading seem the others are intelligence gathering groups other than maybe CP0.

Rayleigh on haki:

4kofFUo.jpg

Thanks for posting this image. I was looking for this exact quote.
I don't think Oda put that there just to make Rayleigh's explanation sound more mystical.

This not only explains why some strong fighters can't use this power, but this may also be a hint at something big in the future relating to Haki itself.

That was mostly plan in advance also.
There was no way Oda would have made characters keep on trying to find a logia weakness.
And then having to set up the fight where the weakness could be used .
It also explain why logia users don't rule the world and other characters can fight them.

If you can find place in the manga were armour haki was used before Tekkai it would interesting. Not just, maybe this scene could be explained with armour haki, but only armour haki could explain this scene. He came up with that type of haki quite late and was just a relatively lazy fix to the universe. Before that the counters were more varied like sea stone (remember that) and martial arts techniques that manipulate elements like fishman karate and the cp9 style. Amour haki was just like, oh well forget all that lets just make it simple and have everyone fighting equally with their fists. Strongest will wins.

Harmen

I agree that the final shape of the Haki concept came later on in the series.

But there is no way that Oda did not think about some means to defeat logia users early on at all. He was not going to let Luffy remain helpless to the likes of Smoker. There is also no way he was going to render a Garp, Shanks or any non-logia top-tier helpless against a scrub with a logia power, for example. Or have Mihawk (and later Zoro) be unable to cut those guys at all. I always expected some form of shounen inner strenght to come to counter that stuff for OP's world to make sense. But the specifics came later without a doubt.

Also, to me a case like Crocodile can be explained as a crushed man that was a mere shadow of his former self with some convoluted plans to gain power another way and then came Luffy, who'm he totally underestemated. I know it is not a canon fact, but to make something along those lines would make sense.

Chariot

I agree that the final shape of the Haki concept came later on in the series.

But there is no way that Oda did not think about some means to defeat logia users early on at all. He was not going to let Luffy remain helpless to the likes of Smoker. There is also no way he was going to render a Garp, Shanks or any non-logia top-tier helpless against a scrub with a logia power, for example. Or have Mihawk (and later Zoro) be unable to cut those guys at all. I always expected some form of shounen inner strenght to come to counter that stuff for OP's world to make sense. But the specifics came later without a doubt.

Also, to me a case like Crocodile can be explained as a crushed man that was a mere shadow of his former self with some convoluted plans to gain power another way and then came Luffy, who'm he totally underestemated. I know it is not a canon fact, but to make something along those lines would make sense.
Well, early on it looked like seastone was going to become the thing against logia users. I remember that I discussed with friends during the Alabasta arc how everyone was maybe getting logia weapons and/or enhancements, like some kind of seastone boxgloves for Luffy. Oda may thought of Haki as direct logia counter only later to not be dependend on such external things.

If you can find place in the manga were armour haki was used before Tekkai it would interesting. Not just, maybe this scene could be explained with armour haki, but only armour haki could explain this scene. He came up with that type of haki quite late and was just a relatively lazy fix to the universe. Before that the counters were more varied like sea stone (remember that) and martial arts techniques that manipulate elements like fishman karate and the cp9 style. Amour haki was just like, oh well forget all that lets just make it simple and have everyone fighting equally with their fists. Strongest will wins.

It does not matter if he showed it early on .
Oda came up with brook very early in the manga we did not see him until years later .
It makes no sense he would come up the first 2 form early on but then make up the third form late .

CP9 style were never showed to hurt logia users .
We did not find out how Fishman karate work until after haki even if we knew ace and jinbei fought for 5 days.
Also why would it matter if it was show before Tekkai anyway .
Maybe the final shape of it did until come until later but there always was going to have something to stop logia users .

Well, early on it looked like seastone was going to become the thing against logia users. I remember that I discussed with friends during the Alabasta arc how everyone was maybe getting logia weapons and/or enhancements, like some kind of seastone boxgloves for Luffy. Oda may thought of Haki as direct logia counter only later to not be dependend on such external things.

Luffy walking about with seastone boxing gloves would have been rather funny.

It does not matter if he showed it early on .

Yeah it does matter in One Piece that things shown much earlier are fully fleshed out later. It's one of the most satisfying things about the manga.

As far as Brook goes from the very earliest chapters Luffy says that he needs a musician on his crew. It became a running joke. Compared to Brook armour haki was an asspull.

Yeah it does matter in One Piece that things shown much earlier are fully fleshed out later. It's one of the most satisfying things about the manga.

As far as Brook goes from the very earliest chapters Luffy says that he needs a musician on his crew. It became a running joke. Compared to Brook armour haki was an asspull.

So it's a ass pull because we did not see it .
That makes no sense what so ever .
It's shonen manga there will always be power ups .
If you think Oda did not plan it cause we did not see it until later you are free to think that .
But from reading interviews with him i am sure he always had something universal in mind to equal logia users .
Just less work to have it that way .

Interview with Oda's eighth editor, Suguru Sugita.

Q1: Is it true that author Eiichiro Oda only reveals the ending of One Piece to his editor?
A: Yes, it’s true. [He told me] about seven hours after I became his editor on the phone. He asked me whether there was anyone around. I told him no, and he said, “alright, I don’t have anyone around me either, so let’s talk,” and then he told me.

Q2: How far along is the story right now, percentage-wise?
A: He told me that the first part of the story, the part prior to the time-skip, was around halfway through. That was about 60 volumes, so maybe we’re at 70%? I don’t think it’s at 80% yet. Something like that.

Q3: Is it true that he’s decided not to write another long story after One Piece is finished?
A: He hasn’t decided, but he said he probably wouldn’t be able to write one. He’s already been going on for eighteen years, so just how old will he be by the time it’s all over? I think it’s more of a question as to whether he’d be able to write another long serialization after that, realistically speaking.

Q4: What are some of the rules you have to abide by as the editor for One Piece?

A: He asked me not to pitch him too many ideas. The reason behind that is that if it’s another person’s idea, then he won’t be as inclined to draw it. Because it’s his own story, he wants to draw his own ideas. Also, he wants to work on the manga on the same playing-field as his editor, so he asked me not to call him Oda-sensei, but instead Oda-san. And Oda-san also calls me, a 26-year-old newbie editor, “Sugita-san”. [He] also asks me to honestly tell him what I think.

Q5: What aspects of Eiichiro Oda do you think are “great”?

A: Of course there’s his talent, but what surprised me was just how much effort he puts into the series. There might come a day when I’ll have a new manga artist I’m working with who has more talent than Oda-san, but I’m not so sure anyone will put in more effort. He is someone who only sleeps for maybe two or three hours a night and he always thinks about his manga. He does not compromise. When he thinks that something isn’t funny or will not surprise the readers, then he just looks for something else, which I think is really amazing. He’s the quintessence of manga author-ness.

Q6: There’s also a rumor that his annual earnings exceed ¥3,000,000,000 (around US$24,000,000), but what does he spend his money on?

A: Hmm, well apparently he’s really gotten into grilling meat lately. He bought a barbecue and invited friends and his [past and present] manga editors over to his home. While barbecuing the meat he’ll say things like “I’m letting it rest on the grill” or “I’m gonna grill it one more time!” Oda-san also likes physical objects, so he collects figures of American celebrities and all sorts of stuff.

Q7: So his house is amazing too?
A: Yes. Oda-san often says: “I want to be what new manga authors dream to be.” That’s why he often jokes that he lives in a nicely built house and buys cool things so his assistants would think, “aaah, I should work hard and get drawing, too!”

Q8: Lastly, what kind of fun can we expect in the future for One Piece?

A: Well, now that we’re in the second half of the story, I think there will be more and more chapters that revolve around the main plot. The Four Emperors will also appear more in the story, so I think you’ll really enjoy what happens next!

http://onepiecepodcast.com/2015/07/...nterview-with-one-piece-editor-suguru-sugita/

Some nice info.
When it comes to how long OP have left i just say to my self it done when it done.
Think in 2012 another Editor said it was at 60-70% done and it will probably finish within 10 years.
Still Oda sucks when it comes that sort of stuff lol but around 450 to 600 chapters is what i think left.

Q1: Is it true that author Eiichiro Oda only reveals the ending of One Piece to his editor?
A: Yes, it’s true. [He told me] about seven hours after I became his editor on the phone. He asked me whether there was anyone around. I told him no, and he said, “alright, I don’t have anyone around me either, so let’s talk,” and then he told me.

the weight on these people's shoulders

Oda's rich enough to afford assassins. I can buy these editors lives are in danger if they slip up. I will applaud all the previous ones for managing to stay silent for 18 years.

I think having an entire country hating them, money and job security keeps them shut up like pretty much every other NDA

Hmmm... I'm willing to believe One Piece is 65-68% through the story. That seems a tad more reasonable.
This is the part of the story where plot points are going to start to tie up and over-arching progression is going to be far more streamlined than before.

Hmmm... I'm willing to believe One Piece is 65-68% through the story. That seems a tad more reasonable.
This is the part of the story where plot points are going to start to tie up and over-arching progression is going to be far more streamlined than before.
If Kaidou is the next arc's antagonist and is defeated, I can see the story shifting gears towards the finale because Luffy will finally be on Shanks level.

It won't be until luffy beat a yonko will the feeling of OP has a few years left sink in for me.
After that happens i expect the story to go into overdrive.
I guess i will also feel that way when we finally get detail info on DFs .

If Kaidou is the next arc's antagonist and is defeated, I can see the story shifting gears towards the finale because Luffy will finally be on Shanks level.

Kaido is definitely not coming next arc, but it's hard to speculate where the role of the Emperors will go from here.
I believe the pirate alliance dynamic is going to be the main theme for the rest of the New World.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Kaido is definitely not coming next arc, but it's hard to speculate where the role of the Emperors will go from here.
I believe the pirate alliance dynamic is going to be the main theme for the rest of the New World.

I think Big Mom might be next, only because Sanji and the others are on the Sunny dealing with her.

I think Big Mom might be next, only because Sanji and the others are on the Sunny dealing with her.

Most likely. She's after Caesar and she's the only obstacle that's keeping Jinbei from joining.
It depends on what role Oda is going to put her in. She might become a temporary ally. Luffy and Law do NOT want her as an enemy.

Why not? Hasn't Oda said Wano-kuni is coming up next (might be wrong on this)?

Given Momo and Kinemon's foreshadowed relationship/ties/whatever to Kaidou, I think it's pretty likely he's coming up soon.

I meant when it comes to fighting that Kaido isn't going to butt heads with Luffy/Law so soon.
Momo and Kinemon's connection to Kaido is vague. They might just know him by reputation alone and were shocked that the crew was aiming for such a dangerous person.

Kornflayx

Those percentages given by Oda and his editors are always hilarious. First it's a 5 year project, then the series was halfway done in Vol. 24, then it's halfway done with the time skip.

As long as Oda thinks of new ideas to put into OP nobody can predict when it's going to be finished.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I'm going to read this whole arc again, I missed too much shit I think.

How long did it last going back to punk hazard?

I meant when it comes to fighting that Kaido isn't going to butt heads with Luffy/Law so soon.
Momo and Kinemon's connection to Kaido is vague. They might just know him by reputation alone and were shocked that the crew was aiming for such a dangerous person.

Ah, fair enough. I can see it being a pretty long arc.

And I doubt it, their reaction just screams that they know something, and they refused to comment on it when asked instead of going "are you guys nuts?!"

There's also that moment when they arrive at Dressrossa and Momo begins to remember someone going "what's your name?" and reaching out for him. Could be Doffy, but maybe it's Kaido?

He clearly did it's right there in his instruction not sure how you missed that), you know the clash with swords that split the clouds it's even mentioned if you don't have strong enough haki, you won't maintain consciousness in front Shanks ignoring the numerous other evidence.

I not even sure why you'd want someone that made it big without haki it's an equalizer that allows anyone to compete with devil fruit users. For someone to make it big without it is even more bullshit.

Blackbeards a special case since he got a largely crappy that gives similar abilities but that he circumvents with gaining a second fruit which he kinda needs since haki makes the fruits original ability kinda crappy.

Blackbeard almost definitely has haki though. We see Burgess use haki in his fight against Sabo, so if he has it I can't imagine Blackbeard doesn't.

Always the possibility though.

Interview with Oda's eighth editor, Suguru Sugita.

http://onepiecepodcast.com/2015/07/2...suguru-sugita/

Oda seems like a really cool guy, as always. I would love to meet him haha

If I knew japanese :/

It's going to be an incredibly interesting day when we finally see the last panel of One Piece.

Not to mention incredibly sad

Most likely. She's after Caesar and she's the only obstacle that's keeping Jinbei from joining.
It depends on what role Oda is going to put her in. She might become a temporary ally. Luffy and Law do NOT want her as an enemy.

Momonosuke definitely seems to be important to Kaidou, probably because of his devil fruit. Remember Jora wanted to take Momonosuke from the Sunny and bring him to Doflamingo.

Maybe Momonosuke's fruit is a clone of Kaidou's.

I'm going to read this whole arc again, I missed too much shit I think.

How long did it last going back to punk hazard?

Not entirely sure if this is what you're asking, but Dressarosa starts around chapter 700 to 710.

Anyway, I'm actually really excited to see where Oda is going to go with the Void Century. I actually completely forgot about it until the Tontatta brought it up. Rayleigh told Robin that she might not want to know yet as there was nothing she could do about it at that point, but encourages her to keep learning about it as she might come up with a different conclusion to the Roger pirates.

I really want to find out what happened during that time.

Just finished re-reading the post Marineford chapters. Man, the feels.... Especially the panel of Whitebeard and Ace's graves, and especially the Grey Terminal flashback. Oda, you are amazing. The series of covers - Whitebeard and Roger, the ASL brothers - leading up to the final pre-time skip chapter was godly.

I'd love to have another mini-arc like Davy Back that focuses on the crew and their hijinks again. Or even just a single chapter, like the one after Water 7 just as they entered the Florian Triangle, where it was all about the Strawhats just chilling and enjoying a day that doesn't involve saving a country or expanding the politics of the world. The interactions of the crew is lovely, and I want to see more of this (maybe when Jinbei joins)!

Just finished re-reading the post Marineford chapters. Man, the feels.... Especially the panel of Whitebeard and Ace's graves, and especially the Grey Terminal flashback. Oda, you are amazing. The series of covers - Whitebeard and Roger, the ASL brothers - leading up to the final pre-time skip chapter was godly.

I'd love to have another mini-arc like Davy Back that focuses on the crew and their hijinks again. Or even just a single chapter, like the one after Water 7 just as they entered the Florian Triangle, where it was all about the Strawhats just chilling and enjoying a day that doesn't involve saving a country or expanding the politics of the world. The interactions of the crew is lovely, and I want to see more of this (maybe when Jinbei joins)!

I really love this panel from the post war arc

4.JPG

Jigolo

What time does the chapter usually get translated first over here (I.e. MP)? I'm already up this late and debating if I should wait if it's not too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom