• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomanceDawn

Decided to go all out and jump right into One Piece. On volume 5 right now.
Hoping to see Viz announce a 3rd box set to be released in November.

Dude you are in for a treat. Take my advice, anything at all that seems a little bit suspect or fishy, just make a mental note of it. The world is massively connected and it's as alive as you or me. There is pay off up the wazoo with things that seem almost insignificant at first glance. That goes for plot lines as well as characters.

SalvaPot

I don't think CP9 not knowing haki is as big of a hole as people make it out to be. They were trained since they were kids and if the government didn't trust them enough to train them in haki I'm ok with that. They're just black op assassins in the grand line taking out politicians. They're more than equipped to handle whatever comes their way with Rokushiki.

Its clear with all the hint's Oda gave us in part 1 about Luffy's conqueror's haki that he knew about it from the start of the series.

For some reason it seems the government wants to keep haki as secret as possible, and just seems to train the ones that naturally develop it (Like Coby).

I might be in the minority, but I was hooked on One Piece at Baratie.
Mihawk's appearance and Luffy's bloody determinator fight against Krieg had me so excited.

Arlong Park extra-sealed the deal for me.

My first exposure to One Piece was a random 4kids episode during the end of Whisky Peak when Igaram gets blown up. Scared me, but I think I was pretty young...

Then I remember getting to Middle School and finding the first volume in my library and...hooked from the very beginning.

But Arlong Park was always my "fuck yeah this is awesome" moment.

Lunar15

Personally I love the Baratie arc, but then I love every arc. Baratie has a lot of good moments imo.

Zoro losing to Mihawk and making his declaration to Luffy is one of the best moments in the series. Same with Sanji leaving Baratie.

That said, it's a weird arc with some random pacing and an unmemorable villain. It makes me antsy every time I re-read.

Kornflayx

Honestly, I was hooked from the very start. That first chapter is still so great.

For me, the first chapter blew me away. But especially the Kuro arc really tested me. But after that, with Mihawk arriving at Baratie and the Arlong arc, I was hooked completely.

And also, after re-reading Alabasta, am I the only one who's thinking that the Straw Hats will get a huge Bounty increase each? Luffy and Zoro got huge increases (or new bounties) despite not getting the credit for defeating Crocodile. Now that they are officially recognized as having beaten Doflamingo, they can't get away with just a little increase.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
For me, the first chapter blew me away. But especially the Kuro arc really tested me. But after that, with Mihawk arriving at Baratie and the Arlong arc, I was hooked completely.

And also, after re-reading Alabasta, am I the only one who's thinking that the Straw Hats will get a huge Bounty increase each? Luffy and Zoro got huge increases (or new bounties) despite not getting the credit for defeating Crocodile. Now that they are officially recognized as having beaten Doflamingo, they can't get away with just a little increase.

I think it will go up 50-100 mill for luffy

because

After attacking a World Noble and causing an unprecedented breakout from Impel Down, Luffy participated in the Whitebeard War and caused much chaos on the battlefield.
Luffy's bounty went up a measly 100,000,000 making it 400,000,000
===
but ennis lobby made it 300,000,000 (previously 100,000,000)

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I want a great bounty for God Usopp for the lulz.

Doffy already did that

one_piece_ch746_p010-e1399533601505.png

Kornflayx

I think it will go up 50-100 mill for luffy

because

Luffy's bounty went up a measly 100,000,000 making it 400,000,000
===
but ennis lobby made it 300,000,000 (previously 100,000,000)

Yeah, but that was also about causing absolute chaos. Taking down Doflamingo will also throw the New World into complete chaos because everyone who was dependent on his weapons and his Smiles will cause havoc from now on, especially Kaido.

And I don't mean his bounty will go to 700 mill or something. I think 550 would be absolutely sufficient. It would be a nice a touch that he gets the same bounty as his brother.

Raxus

It'd be great after Wano Kingdom and the 10th crew member joins if we get updated bounties on everyone. God Usopp would be a great pic for a wanted poster.

SalvaPot

It'd be great after Wano Kingdom and the 10th crew member joins if we get updated bounties on everyone. God Usopp would be a great pic for a wanted poster.

But didn´t the strawhat got reflected as heroes during Fujitora speech to the world? If the WG increases their bounty it will look like they approved of Doflamingo´s actions and I doubt they want that

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
They would have to update Usopp's anyway, as he's registered as Sogeking right now.

Raxus

But didn´t the strawhat got reflected as heroes during Fujitora speech to the world? If the WG increases their bounty it will look like they approved of Doflamingo´s actions and I doubt they want that

Hence AFTER the major arc with Kinemon and Ceasar Clown. We know Luffy is going to take on at least 3 of the 4 Emperors and when he takes one down his bounty is bound to shoot up. I figure he would take on either Kaido or Big Mam by then.

As far as major locations the Strawhats have to still visit. Mariejois (end game), Wano Kingdom, Elbaf (aka Sniper Island) all seem like big points we are going to hit eventually.

He was a weird looking middle aged dude with popsicle blue hair that ran on cola. Now he's like... full on robot, and his hair looks stupider and stupider with every story arc. He used to be my favorite character, now he's my least favorite Straw Hat by far.

Brooke got about 100x cooler both looks and ability wise post timeskip, though.

yeah basically.

Lunar15

While we're still a long way off from the end for sure, there is an interesting sense of finality closing in. We've toppled Doflamingo and pretty much dealt with most of the other Sichibukai in some way or another, and now the strawhats are kind of gearing up to fight the Yonkou, who are, to our knowledge, the absolute strongest pirates in the world. We know vaguely who is sitting on top of the world government and essentially all who are "left" to deal with.

Sure, there's dozens of things left to cover and mysteries to solve, but we're actually at a time where there's a decent roadmap as to what's left.

smurfx

get some go again
Newer fans will never know the pain of being caught up on the manga with only Kaizoku-Fansubs subbing episodes... years behind where Japan was... on a "done when they're done" basis (I.E. you get lucky if there's one ep per month)
lets not forget all the random fansubbing groups that got us up to date. some were good and some were garbage.

Syntsui

I don't know how I will feel if Usopp gets a higher bounty than Luffy.
It would be appropriate to be honest. He had the biggest achievement the whole arc, and saved everyone's life.

Like it was said, it's hard to translate everyone's action to a bounty increase though, considering how heroic they were.

Lunar15

My friend is watching through the anime for the first time (he hasn't read the manga) and he stopped last night right after ace was freed:

Him: "Boy, I sure am glad they saved Ace. For a second there, I thought they were really going to kill him. That totally would have sucked if he died after all that"

Me: "Yeah... uh, totally"

Grexeno

My friend is watching through the anime for the first time (he hasn't read the manga) and he stopped last night right after ace was freed:

Him: "Boy, I sure am glad they saved Ace. For a second there, I thought they were really going to kill him. That totally would have sucked if he died after all that"

I'm going to need to know his reaction lmao

Nibel

Please keep us updated

Lunar15

I remember I was anime only for a long time and I was looking at a wikipedia page for one piece characters and right next to Ace it said "deceased". I was so mad. I should have known way better than to go to any wiki when I wasn't caught up with the manga.

I also got spoiled on Croc joining luffy in Impel Down from a random youtube video comment that was entirely unrelated to one piece.

I'm personally just kind of shocked that he's never been spoiled on anything. That's impressive.

Well, depends on what kind of websites you visit. If you don't really read or discuss manga, then I'm sure it's pretty easy to avoid spoilers. Of course sites like 9gag are full of spoilers too though.

Lunar15

Well, depends on what kind of websites you visit. If you don't really read or discuss manga, then I'm sure it's pretty easy to avoid spoilers. Of course sites like 9gag are full of spoilers too though.

Well, he's not entirely spoiler free: While he doesn't understand it yet, every time you enter steam you get that big ad for PW3 that has Doflamingo and older Sabo right there on the cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom