• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
My friend is watching through the anime for the first time (he hasn't read the manga) and he stopped last night right after ace was freed:

Him: "Boy, I sure am glad they saved Ace. For a second there, I thought they were really going to kill him. That totally would have sucked if he died after all that"

Me: "Yeah... uh, totally"

That's amazing

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
My friend is watching through the anime for the first time (he hasn't read the manga) and he stopped last night right after ace was freed:

Him: "Boy, I sure am glad they saved Ace. For a second there, I thought they were really going to kill him. That totally would have sucked if he died after all that"

Wow, you need to sit him in front of a camera when he watches the next episode.

Kornflayx

With all the talk about Usopp forgetting about Robin (which I totally forgot) and everything else in Dressrosa. I really need to re-read that in one go, because so much stuff happened in that arc, I'm probably forgetting half of it.

Dimmle

With all the talk about Usopp forgetting about Robin (which I totally forgot) and everything else in Dressrosa.

Speaking about characters being forgotten for a moment:

Sugar has a really intriguing power in the context of the series' themes. I think the gravity of the Usopp sniping scene hits home because the thought of the Strawhats without Luffy is inconceivable. With Luffy being the driving force and morale behind the gang and the entire narrative, the possibility of him being forgotten is actually a more grave threat than any character death, even his own. I really dug those stakes.

Kater

Banned

Urgh

:(

Lunar15

Update: He's seen the episode where Ace dies. Nothing really exciting to report, though. Kinda went through all the stages of grief. Everything from not believing that he was really dead, to anger that he actually died after all that, to acceptance that this was how it was supposed to be.

Kornflayx

Update: He's seen the episode where Ace dies. Nothing really exciting to report, though. Kinda went through all the stages of grief. Everything from not believing that he was really dead, to anger that he actually died after all that, to acceptance that this was how it was supposed to be.

He wasn't the greatest character, but that double spread with him saying "Thank you for loving me" kills me every time.

Also, Oda is the biggest troll for spoiling everything in the volume title, lol

RomanceDawn

That is funny! When my kids are old enough to understand things I know they are going to flip when they reach that far.

He wasn't the greatest character, but that double spread with him saying "Thank you for loving me" kills me every time.

Also, Oda is the biggest troll for spoiling everything in the volume title, lol

It's his way of saying, "It's real this time, guys. I'm not joking, please believe me."

Lunar15

It's his way of saying, "It's real this time, guys. I'm not joking, please believe me."

That's probably one of my favorite parts about his death. Luffy's all like, "hey, get a doctor over here, bandages fix everything right!? Hey, Iva, just use your magic hormone power, that totally works!" and they're all like, "Nah, he's dead man."

Personally I'll never know why people felt grief over his death. It's just that the character was shown so little previously. He showed up only briefly twice or thrice in the manga before his death, so I felt almost no emotional connection to him. Even the flashback happened after his death.

I've shed many man tears while reading One Piece, but no tears were shed during Ace's death from me. That said I still love the arc, of course, even if a lot of characters that were there barely did a thing, or only tried an attack once.

Lunar15

Personally I'll never know why people felt grief over his death. It's just that the character was shown so little previously. He showed up only briefly twice or thrice in the manga before his death, so I felt almost no emotional connection to him. Even the flashback happened after his death.

I've shed many man tears while reading One Piece, but no tears were shed during Ace's death from me. That said I still love the arc, of course, even if a lot of characters that were there barely did a thing, or only tried an attack once.

I actually completely agree with this, however, it's tough to tell how I really would have reacted since I had the whole thing spoiled for me a good several months before I actually saw it.

People really like him because Luffy respects him, and there's not a whole lot of people in the series that we see him show that kind of respect for. His appearance, while brief, was incredibly noteworthy and people always wanted to see more of him.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I don't think it's so much that people are sad about Ace, but rather sad FOR Luffy. Cause we all love that little muppet.

dabig2

In my case, it was grief over the loss of potential stories and interactions. I still remember when he mentioned "I'll see you at the Pirates summit" and the fanbase coming up with incredible theories. Sabo has since gone on to take over that role, but we didn't even know of his existence during the war.

Also, I was pissed that Ace threw away the sacrifices his mother and father did for his birth. It's great and all that the Will of D continues on regardless, but still, it's a tragic end to a tragic story for that family.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
At the end of the day, there was no "Pirate Summit"
It was just a bad translation of "I'll see you at the top"

360pages

Sabo exist to replace Ace, a large sum of what he does Ace easily could have done after the death of white beard. I like Sabo, but he is the Rodimus prime to Ace's Optimus. Ace died so Luffy could grow as a character.

Lunar15

Sabo exist to replace Ace, a large sum of what he does Ace easily could have done after the death of white beard. I like Sabo, but he is the Rodimus prime to Ace's Optimus. Ace died so Luffy could grow as a character.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what role Sabo plays. Ace dying was important as it was kind of symbolic of Luffy no longer needing to be protected, but to find strength in protecting his crew: See Jimbei's speech after the war.

Sabo suddenly existing, subsequently "dying", and then finally returning doesn't add a whole lot to the story, other than another character. Sure, he's a link to the Revolutionaries, but so is Robin at this point.

RobbieNick

I've been following the manga/anime for just about year now and I'm at the Water 7 saga. I subscribed to Funimation streaming just for the dub version alone. (Yeah, I like dubs. So what?!) I'm just one episode after the big Luffy/Usopp fight. (THE FEELS!!) I love the Venice look the city has. I could just live there.

Lunar15

I've been following the manga/anime for just about year now and I'm at the Water 7 saga. I subscribed to Funimation streaming just for the dub version alone. (Yeah, I like dubs. So what?!) I'm just one episode after the big Luffy/Usopp fight. (THE FEELS!!) I love the Venice look the city has. I could just live there.

Just so you know, this thread is incredibly liberal about spoilers. In fact, they're all over this page.

RobbieNick

Just so you know, this thread is incredibly liberal about spoilers. In fact, they're all over this page.

I already know about some major events that have happened. It was unavoidable. I know Franky joins the team later. I still like to see how things play out.

Grexeno

I already know about some major events that have happened. It was unavoidable. I know Franky joins the team later. I still like to see how things play out.
Brah this is the manga thread. We talk about every single thing that happens in the entire series. Bail while you still can.

Veelk

Banned
Ace's death could have been precisely the second time that OP ever made me feel sad in nearly 600 chapters. Unfortunately, Oda drawing Luffy's stupid crying face ruined it for me. It was a somber and serious moment, that was NOT the time to pull a comedic exaggeration. It was a well executed scene apart from that, but Luffy's face ruined it the same way a dish of mostly fine food is ruined by a little turd being part of the ensemble.

Ace's death could have been precisely the second time that OP ever made me feel sad in nearly 600 chapters. Unfortunately, Oda drawing Luffy's stupid crying face ruined it for me. It was a somber and serious moment, that was NOT the time to pull a comedic exaggeration. It was a well executed scene apart from that, but Luffy's face ruined it the same way a dish of mostly fine food is ruined by a little turd being part of the ensemble.

"Goofy"?

20140531190041!Ace%27s_Bloody_Death_in_the_Manga.png

360pages

Veelk, I think Oda went on note to say that the reason he draws characters crying like that, even females at time is because it shows more raw emotion. People usually don't just sniffle and have tears flowing down their face. When you cry you look goofy or silly especially if it's something huge.

lol this is pretty funny

and accutate

wow I completely disagree. I think Luffy crying with the whited out eyes and gaping mouth was pretty powerful. He didn't lose someone he barely knew, or had only known for a little while, he lost his brother, and he wasn't holding back any of the pain. It makes me sad just looking at that scene.

Veelk, I think Oda went on note to say that the reason he draws characters crying like that, even females at time is because it shows more raw emotion. People usually don't just sniffle and have tears flowing down their face. When you cry you look goofy or silly especially if it's something huge.

I totally believe this. Basically what I was trying to say haha.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I wouldn't be able to pick just one as I love all the Straw Hats (especially Luffy, Zero and Franky), but other than them I love Kizaru and Garp. Kizaru has a cool ability and is a fun character, and Garp is just a loveable guy. His main introduction scene, where he smashes the wall and then repairs it, is pure gold. Doflamingo is also cool. Might be my third favorite non-Straw Hat. He's got an interesting attitude and style.

Kizaru is amazing. Especially in the anime. He's such an oddball XD

Veelk

Banned
FUCK, I just wrote out a long reply and accidentally deleted it. Ugh.

Okay, short version of what I was saying: I know why Oda does it, but it doesn't work for me. In fact, it has the direct opposite effect. I don't have many universal rules for storytelling, but one that seems to yet be disproven is the element of believably, or immersion. When I'm seeing a story unfold, it doesn't matter what medium it is, I need to be immersed into whats happening to believe it, which is the only way to emotionally connect to the story for me. When I'm reading a book, I am not aware I am looking on words on a page, I'm witnessing it in my minds eye. When I'm reading comics or manga, it is real to me in my mind as it unfolds.

Ace's death was an impeccably well done scene, until the moment Luffy's face deformed. His row of teeth somehow became all one giant tooth on the each jaw, hugely enlarged, and his pupils gone with his tongue suddenly being larger than his palm width would be. It's simply not possible within the context of his universe to make a face like that, even with his rubber powers.

My immersion is broken like shattered glass. I'm not witnessing the death of someone dear to Luffy. I'm looking at a manga, a book. I'm looking at patterns of ink on white paper that are designed to represent human beings, but aren't. I cannot believe in this scene as it is depicted. Any emotional engagement I have is now gone. I cannot believe in these characters as people, so I have no empathy for them. If anything, it makes me laugh how stupid it looks. I shouldn't be laughing at this scene, but hilarity is the only emotion it can elicit from me, the very notion I am supposed to find this clownish display sad. Obviously, I am rather unique among people who read the manga, and for most of you, it doesn't break you out of the story. But for me, this scene was especially frustrating because Oda finally managed to get me engaged, and he ruins it with his stupid ass deformation faces. This isn't raw emotion. All it does is emphasize how artificial it all is.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Whitebeard's youth flashback hit hard.
"Newgate, what are you looking for?"
"A family"
Right in the feels.

FUCK, I just wrote out a long reply and accidentally deleted it. Ugh.

Okay, short version of what I was saying: I know why Oda does it, but it doesn't work for me. In fact, it has the direct opposite effect. I don't have many universal rules for storytelling, but one that seems to yet be disproven is the element of believably, or immersion. When I'm seeing a story unfold, it doesn't matter what medium it is, I need to be immersed into whats happening to believe it, which is the only way to emotionally connect to the story for me. When I'm reading a book, I am not aware I am looking on words on a page, I'm witnessing it in my minds eye. When I'm reading comics or manga, it is real to me in my mind as it unfolds.

Ace's death was an impeccably well done scene, until the moment Luffy's face deformed. His row of teeth somehow became all one giant tooth on the each jaw, hugely enlarged, and his pupils gone with his tongue suddenly being larger than his palm width would be. It's simply not possible within the context of his universe to make a face like that, even with his rubber powers.

My immersion is broken like shattered glass. I'm not witnessing the death of someone dear to Luffy. I'm looking at a manga, a book. I'm looking at patterns of ink on white paper that are designed to represent human beings, but aren't. I cannot believe in this scene as it is depicted. Any emotional engagement I have is now gone. I cannot believe in these characters as people, so I have no empathy for them. If anything, it makes me laugh how stupid it looks. I shouldn't be laughing at this scene, but hilarity is the only emotion it can elicit from me, the very notion I am supposed to find this clownish display sad. Obviously, I am rather unique among people who read the manga, and for most of you, it doesn't break you out of the story. But for me, this scene was especially frustrating because Oda finally managed to get me engaged, and he ruins it with his stupid ass deformation faces. This isn't raw emotion. All it does is emphasize how artificial it all is.

I mean, you didn't really need a huge write-up to explain that lol :p

It's a very subjective scene in the aesthetic sense, and I understand where you're coming from. To me, it's the pupils which, if you look at Sabo's reaction to Ace's death in the latest chapter as a similar one to Luffy's, looked much better because of that difference.

Still, I think it looks far from goofy. Considering how much tension is on the line from over a hundred chapters of build-up in this very moment, I think it was an appropriately shocked face.

Grexeno

If someone can't admit that the "Ace is dead" face isn't scene-ruiningly ridiculous and dumb looking, I can't imagine that person thinking One Piece has any flaws to speak of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom