• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Alright OP GAF. Who's your all time favorite One Piece character, and why?

Mine has to be Shanks. Generic answer, I know. But the man is so nice and charismatic that it's hard not to (platonically) fall in love with him. I aspire to be like him in my every day life; amiable, approachable, respectable, and badass. Also, the only "nice" yonkou since Whitebeard died.

images

Lunar15

It's a toss up between Whitebeard and Usopp.

Whitebeard: What a great embodiment of so many ideals in one character. Oda was able to give him a fully fleshed out character arc in just one arc's length. His speech at his death gives me the chills to this day. By the time he died you knew who he was, what he lived for, and what his death meant to the future of the world. Also, his powers were by far the coolest and most exciting to watch.

Usopp: As Oda has said, Usopp is always our window to the crew. He's the most human of all of them and he often does things we'd probably do when faced with the situation. His dreams are the closest to any of ours: to stop lying to ourselves and be what we keep telling others we are.

I'm not quite happy with how they've handled him post timeskip, but there's some growth there. Everything during Water 7/Enies Lobby was so well done, he's had the most growth of any character and it shows. I await the resolution of his "dreams" more than anyone else.

I wouldn't be able to pick just one as I love all the Straw Hats (especially Luffy, Zero and Franky), but other than them I love Kizaru and Garp. Kizaru has a cool ability and is a fun character, and Garp is just a loveable guy. His main introduction scene, where he smashes the wall and then repairs it, is pure gold. Doflamingo is also cool. Might be my third favorite non-Straw Hat. He's got an interesting attitude and style.

For me it really just has to be Luffy.

Totally fun loving and care free, just looking for freedom and adventure, but when shit hits the fan and his friends are in trouble, you better believe he's gonna be there to kick your ass. I just love how his character is written and I'm a huge fan of the Gomu Gomu no Mi too.

Usopp is also up there for me, for the reasons Lunar said.

Aside from the Strawhats, I'm also a huge fan of Sabo.

I know we just got re introduced to him, and didn't even really know that much about him before, but his character is just so cool, and he has first hand experience with how shitty the nobles are and really wants to change things for the better.

Rayleigh is also up there for me. I love when he's first introduced as a part of the auction and then we get the reveal of him being Roger's first mate, like wow. And I also love how he becomes a mentor to Luffy. Just a cool character all around.

But really, and this is kind of a cop out, I love all the characters, especially the straw hats. Oda is so good at writing characters that they're all likable, and it's hard to think of multiple characters I actually don't like, aside from Gekko Moriah, he just annoys me lol.

edit:

an aside, I just started re reading One Piece, on the Buggy arc rn, and I totally forgot about this Dog guarding the pet store. He's the real hero of the story 😭

Kornflayx

For me it's a tie between Whitebeard, Luffy, and Zoro.

I will forever like Zoro for what he did in Chapter 687, just to rile up the people that hated the way he dealt with Monet.

Luffy is my personal favorite, as generic an answer as that is. He's a really strong main character, who is just really likeable and entertaining. Outside him I really like Zoro and Usopp. Outside the Strawhats I really love Whitebeard. Fujitora is probably my favorite recent character, since he's been really awesome. As far as villains go, Crocodile is probably my favorite, with Doflamingo right behind him

Squishy3

I always liked those fan subs that gave the attack names neat little effects.
Man that was forever ago. But yeah, that stuff was fun. Zoro's having the green and black text I think, Luffy's would stretch, Usopp's color would change based on the move he was doing. (IE Fire Star was Red)

Fun stuff.

I always liked those fan subs that gave the attack names neat little effects.

Man that was forever ago. But yeah, that stuff was fun. Zoro's having the green and black text I think, Luffy's would stretch, Usopp's color would change based on the move he was doing. (IE Fire Star was Red)

Fun stuff.

yeah i remember that, it was aces.

they must have really loved one piece to put in all that effort, and I know that I appreciated it

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Attack Fonts made OP for a long time. The amount of love put into KF's episodes was contagious.

Man, I miss them.

For me it's a tie between Whitebeard, Luffy, and Zoro.

I will forever like Zoro for what he did in Chapter 687, just to rile up the people that hated the way he dealt with Monet.

Zoro really is a great character. I love how he really has no qualms with slashing anyone who gets in his way.

This is hard.

I'll have to exempt Luffy, because he would be my automatic favorite.

It would probably have to be Usopp if I had to choose a non-Luffy favorite.

I usually toss out the main character when talking about favorites, I'm not sure why.

Usopp has always been my favorite because he's the only character I could see myself as. He will lie forever until he can't get away with it and then take his ass-kicking like a man and still win.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
It's a toss up between Whitebeard and Usopp.

Whitebeard: What a great embodiment of so many ideals in one character. Oda was able to give him a fully fleshed out character arc in just one arc's length. His speech at his death gives me the chills to this day. By the time he died you knew who he was, what he lived for, and what his death meant to the future of the world. Also, his powers were by far the coolest and most exciting to watch.

Usopp: As Oda has said, Usopp is always our window to the crew. He's the most human of all of them and he often does things we'd probably do when faced with the situation. His dreams are the closest to any of ours: to stop lying to ourselves and be what we keep telling others we are.

I'm not quite happy with how they've handled him post timeskip, but there's some growth there. Everything during Water 7/Enies Lobby was so well done, he's had the most growth of any character and it shows. I await the resolution of his "dreams" more than anyone else.

Do you know why you're not happy with Usopp post time-skip? Is it just because he should be a badass or because he acts all scared still?

My favorite OP character is: ... Damn. It's between Zoro and Usopp. I love Usopp's redemption arcs, when he's all scared, but nuts up and gets it done. However, I am just a huge fan of Zoro's sheer badass self. He does what needs to be done and looks damn cool while doing so. So many examples in which I squealed like a school girl: Cutting Steel in Alabasta, Mihawk slash, Thriller Bark, Dressrosa giant cut, among many others.

Gotta be Zoro.

My favourite is Usopp overall.

For me it felt like One Piece didn't have enough heart until he showed up. I love how in a lot of down time Usopp and Luffy are physically inseparable. Even coming down to that last recovery scene were the unconscious Usopp is draped over Luffy one the bed with his head planted on the floor.

Some other favourites of mine were Tahshigi (pre timeskip mostly), Jinbe and Jewellery Bonny (even though we've not seen much of her).

Kornflayx

Usopp's not supposed to be a 24/7 badass like Zoro. If he was, his entire character arc would have been done.

No he shouldn't be a badass 24/7, but him running away from Trebol and Sugar and abandoning his friends really rubbed me the wrong way. He even said to Nami after the timeskip, that he was now out of the weakling trio, only to fall back to his pattern in that situation and still needing friends screaming in pain to get his ass to help them.

Of course, he completely redeemed himself with saving Luffy and Zoro with his crazy awesome snipe of Sugar later on. But that running away stuff could have been handled better IMO.

Seesaw15

Outside of the big three( Luffy, Usopp and Zorro) I think my favorite character is Nico Robin. I just love her (pre-time skip) design, how competent she is and the vibe she brings to the crew. I really love her back story and her character growth during Water 7. I know in the grand scheme of things Robins character is a major player but I wish Oda gave her more things to do during each arc.

Outside of the Straw Hats I'd say my favorite character is either Bepo or Ace. Bepo because he such a sad sack and Ace because of how polite he was.

Lunar15

Do you know why you're not happy with Usopp post time-skip? Is it just because he should be a badass or because he acts all scared still.

Neither. as Bishop said, you can't just make him a badass all the time because that would mean his arc is over. I think it was nailed best at the start of the timeskip, where he was somewhat bolder while still needing people to help him. Then in Dressrosa they went right back to the whole scared thing to set up the God Usopp joke. I mean, it's a good fucking joke and it's still growth, but they slightly regressed to get there.

In the end, he's still the only crew member having any kind of emotional growth right now.

Lunar15

At that moment he forgot that Robin existed due to Sugar's power and it confused him.

I never really considered that but I still feel like it runs in the face of his growth.

That said, would any of enies lobby have happened in their mind? Not quite sure how that whole "forgetting people" thing would have gone.

Raxus

Favorite would have to be Luffy and Usopp.

Luffy has one of my favorite powersets and all of anime and I love his personality.

Usopp has great character growth and it seems every arc he has some awesome development happen. Heck he had 2 amazing moments in Dressrosa. That and the constant call backs of his lies slowly becoming reality makes me love the character all the more.

I never really considered that but I still feel like it runs in the face of his growth.

That said, would any of enies lobby have happened in their mind? Not quite sure how that whole "forgetting people" thing would have gone.

Who can explain how any of the devil fruit powers work in that much detail. But we know that this traumatised Usopp because the key to him unlocking haki was the risk of forgetting about Luffy in the same way.

RomanceDawn

Jinbe. His whole story revolving around racism really speaks to me. Also he seems like the kind of guy who wants to go on adventures and just enjoy himself but his sense of responsibility holds him back.

As one of the first name dropped War Lords(first name dropped characters even) I assumed he was Arlong times 10. Later we find out that he has weakness after weakness after weakness. As far as War Lords go he has been depicted as the least "haxed" have you noticed? He has no instant KO techniques like almost all other War Lords along with no overwhelmingly tricky abilities. He has yet to display massive feats of destruction like Law, Doflamingo, Crocodile and even Moriah.

Once the war was over it finally sunk in that Oda was setting him up to join the crew. Before I thought, being a War Lord meant an automatic no. If you think about it though we've seen him fail or fall short more than he's succeeded. This was Oda's way to portray him as someone with potential for growth and not some top tier behemoth that would over shadow the rest of the crew.

HIs interactions with Koala and Nami give me so much hope for the end of the series. I can already see Jinbe's reaction to an integrated world by the series end. Probably during the epilogue something.

Gotta say, the Usopp Luffy fight in Water 7 was one of the most captivating moments in the entire series.

Not only was it great development for them, but also for the entire crew as a structure moving forward. As Zoro said: "If our captain wavers in tough situations, who can we believe in?"

Lunar15

Gotta say, the Usopp Luffy fight in Water 7 was one of the most captivating moments in the entire series.

Not only was it great development for them, but also for the entire crew as a structure moving forward. As Zoro said: "If our captain wavers in tough situations, who can we believe in?"

I think the resolution is even better: Zoro telling luffy that the whole thing is meaningless if Usopp thinks he can just waltz right back into the crew without apologizing. Making Usopp wait the whole time to realize that he was in the wrong and admitting it was such a huge moment for him and Luffy.

All of that was one of Zoro's better moments, honestly.

No he shouldn't be a badass 24/7, but him running away from Trebol and Sugar and abandoning his friends really rubbed me the wrong way. He even said to Nami after the timeskip, that he was now out of the weakling trio, only to fall back to his pattern in that situation and still needing friends screaming in pain to get his ass to help them.

Of course, he completely redeemed himself with saving Luffy and Zoro with his crazy awesome snipe of Sugar later on. But that running away stuff could have been handled better IMO.

Robin was erased from his memories, so as far as he knew there was only the Tontattas and Sugar and Trebol. What he said to Nami could have been a bluff and a ploy to make him look cooler when they reunited.
It's a big character moment because it's the first time Usopp has aided someone other than his friends in a fight he knew he couldn't win. That moment reinstates that Usopp is a liar and a coward, but he's one of the most honorable members of the Straw Hats with the most human flaws that he has to battle with.

Dugna

I think the resolution is even better: Zoro telling luffy that the whole thing is meaningless if Usopp thinks he can just waltz right back into the crew without apologizing. Making Usopp wait the whole time to realize that he was in the wrong and admitting it was such a huge moment for him and Luffy.

All of that was one of Zoro's better moments, honestly.

Yeah and when Luffy stretches out his hand to grab Usopp I still kinda cry alittle when that happens. While everybody in the crew are family to Luffy I think Usopp is just one of the closest ever to him, they actually fight like friends do.

MY favorite Ussop moments are when people try to give him shit about how he fights and they point out once again that he is a sniper and fights as a sniper should.

I think post skip Ussop has been handled ok. He got more bold and was stronger compared to what they already faced but now the danger and enemies have been bumped as well and he's kind of back where he needs to be. Luffy looked OP for a few fights but now we are back to him using gears to barely scrap through the toughest enemies which is good imo

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Part of Usopp's arsenal is deception and trickery.
When fighting Chew, he hit him with wine in what seemed like a childish prank, but it was leading to setting him on fire.
He tried to trick Mr. 4 and Miss Merry Christmas with a "5 Ton Hammer" (fake of course)
He was much more successful with Perona (that and spiders and glue)

Just as important as sniping.

God this was such a hype as fuck moment. Easily one of my favorite Usopp moments ever, along with his fight in Alabasta, his fight with Luffy, and him burning the WG flag, among many other good ones. That snipe was soooo clutch, and Usopp awakening his haki? I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

Yeah and when Luffy stretches out his hand to grab Usopp I still kinda cry alittle when that happens. While everybody in the crew are family to Luffy I think Usopp is just one of the closest ever to him, they actually fight like friends do.

One of the most emotional and character driven moments of the series. I tear up a little too. Great development for the Straw Hats, and the relationship between Luffy and Usopp. Zoro's quote is great too, he's absolutely right.

I think Robin also had a really good character arc before the time skip. She finally has nakama just like Saul told her she would, and when Luffy and co. come to save her and she screams she wants to live, makes me tear up every time.

Robin and Luffy's ambitions are the ones I'm most invested in personally. I really want Luffy to become the pirate king, and I think Robin has the most interesting and ambitious goal of the entire crew, and will have an effect on the whole one piece world. Also, I want her to find out what happened in the void century as a sort of tribute to the archaeologists of Ohara as well.

Out of all the characters though I think Sanji is probably the least developed. He hasn't gone through any personal trials since the flashback we saw of him in the Baratie arc, and while I really like Sanji as a character, I think that he really needs to get some development going forward. Chopper, Brook, and Nami could also probably get a little more development too, unless I'm missing something.

Brook is easily my least favorite straw hat member though. He never does anything really important, and while I think he is an amusing character, I don't really think he brings much to the table in any regard. I would really like Oda to change my mind about this though, as I really do think the character has a lot of potential.

Although this is also subject to change during my reread, although it will take me a while to get to the Thriller Bark arc from where I am now.

Chariot

Wasn't that because he wanted to use the Alabaster strats again?

But Usopp is most confident when fighting someone weaker than him who is 2 kilometres away at least.
But he grew from a total hack to someone who is just a bit less brave than his comrades for the understandable reason of being physically much weaker. He used to just lie and having a few interesting, but rather useless gmmick inventions. But now he can back himself up with actually amazing sniper skills, very useful gadgets and even physical strenght. I appreciate his growth more than Luffy's or Zoro's. Those guys where strong and confident to begin with, Usopp had to crawl in the shadow of beasts.

Frog-fu

Banned
Code:
[IMG]https://40.media.tumblr.com/f64cbda83eb49b61fa47b5bc9216b19c/tumblr_nr84pjGWMz1u1kru0o3_1280.png[/IMG]
[IMG]https://40.media.tumblr.com/b9694c9cc6461fed835ca2debf28d1ca/tumblr_nr84pjGWMz1u1kru0o2_1280.png[/IMG]
[IMG]https://41.media.tumblr.com/6c34d534742e99837e8ff0213a3b529a/tumblr_nr84pjGWMz1u1kru0o1_1280.png[/IMG]

Kater

Banned
Yeah, Jinbe is my favourite in the whole series. There's also Chopper, Usopp, Ivankov, Zoro and Bon Clay, those are all also favourites of mine and there's still so many more, way too many to list. But yeah, Jinbe takes the first spot.

SalvaPot

Brook is easily my least favorite straw hat member though. He never does anything really important, and while I think he is an amusing character, I don't really think he brings much to the table in any regard. I would really like Oda to change my mind about this though, as I really do think the character has a lot of potential.

Although this is also subject to change during my reread, although it will take me a while to get to the Thriller Bark arc from where I am now.

Well, to be fair, Brook growth was before meeting Luffy, he is by far the oldest in the crew and died once, also his dream is on hold since its meeting Laboon who is all the way back to where the Straw Hat started their journey. I am expecting to see more of Brook for the older Generation, since he belongs to the generation before Gol D. Roger made it big.

By the way, my favorite character is Nico Robin, followed closely by Usopp. I feel she is our second protagonist by how her actions and existence move the plot forward. If you think about it all the motions we are making are parallel to her journey, and her connection now to the Revolution Army makes me even more giddy with excitement. And talking about her personality I always loved how dry she is, makes her moments of happiness and smile far more convincing. And of course, Enies Lobby had the best moment of the series so far.

Usopp I believe already has said how I feel, he is such a relatable and fun character and perhaps the biggest dreamer of the bunch.

Yeah, Jinbe is my favourite in the whole series. There's also Chopper, Usopp, Ivankov, Zoro and Bon Clay, those are all also favourites of mine and there's still so many more, way too many to list. But yeah, Jinbe takes the first spot.

oh I forgot about Bon Clay. Also a great character.

I want to see more of Marco. He probably has the coolest devil fruit power

He's the captain of the Whitebeard pirates now I believe. I bet we'll see him again when Luffy takes on Blackbeard.

Well, to be fair, Brook growth was before meeting Luffy, he is by far the oldest in the crew and died once, also his dream is on hold since its meeting Laboon who is all the way back to where the Straw Hat started their journey. I am expecting to see more of Brook for the older Generation, since he belongs to the generation before Gol D. Roger made it big.

By the way, my favorite character is Nico Robin, followed closely by Usopp. I feel she is our second protagonist by how her actions and existence move the plot forward. If you think about it all the motions we are making are parallel to her journey, and her connection now to the Revolution Army makes me even more giddy with excitement. And talking about her personality I always loved how dry she is, makes her moments of happiness and smile far more convincing. And of course, Enies Lobby had the best moment of the series so far.

Yeah I get all that, but it doesn't change the fact that Brook hasn't done anything noteworthy in the present day so far. Like I said, I hope Oda changes that.

Also, I agree with you about Robin, I think that she and her motivations/ambitions help move the plot along nicely. I'm glad she got a starring role this past arc, even if she didn't take down a big bad herself like the others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom